Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Oil Leak 2008 - help needed. Please....

I have an oil leak ! It is coming out by my right foot onto the plastic. (I think coming out of the blower? ) I have had people suggest what it may
    be but I am bringing it in for service (again) to see if the leak can be found. I Have had the oil light come on twice in the past 6 months of riding. And it's
    Leaving spots in my driveway. The bike has about 15K on it.
    Picture attached. Thanks for the help. The dealer could not find the leak last time I brought it in - they said there was oil everywhere and they could not
    pin point it. If I remember correctly there was an issue with the 2008 models.
    Thanks in advance!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default oil leak

Quote Originally Posted by NHSpyderman View Post
    I have an oil leak ! It is coming out by my right foot onto the plastic. (I think coming out of the blower? ) I have had people suggest what it may
    be but I am bringing it in for service (again) to see if the leak can be found. I Have had the oil light come on twice in the past 6 months of riding. And it's
    Picture attached. Thanks for the help. The dealer could not find the leak last time I brought it in - they said there was oil everywhere and they could not
    Thanks in advance!
    where are you in nh maybe I can help find the leak
    let me know
    james

Spyder Garage

If the dripping oil is visible by your foot when you are seated it is coming from the air box. The air box needs to be opened up and cleaned out. Check the air filter at the same time. When it comes time to have the valve lash checked. Tell the technician you are having trouble with oil in the air box. When the valve covers are off it only adds another 15 minutes in labour to fix it properly.

If it is not that and since it is the right side it is likely a water pump shaft seal gone bad. Sorry that's expensive.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NHSpyderman View Post
    Thanks in advance!
    i would 1st check oil then get engine cleaner & clean all around the engine.then checkout oil filters are on snug.

Spyder Garage

Default Have to agree..!!

as billybovine explained most common leaking on that side is the airbox. If at anytime the oil was overfilled or on the full mark on a long hard ryde the crankcase breather goes into the air box and oil can accumulate there eventually leaking out. Good idea to start there...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Cool

[QUOTE=NHSpyderman;970937]
    The dealer could not find the leak last time I brought it in - they said there was oil everywhere and they could not pin point it.

I cannot believe that a dealer said that! What do they think their job is?? Do they not consider a major oil leak, or any oil leak to be a serious problem??