Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default I found today hard!

I do not usually discuss my personal life here, but this is in a way a bit riding related. My father has been extremely sick the last couple of months and has been in palliative care for the last 3 weeks. We as a family have been taking shifts to make sure he has someone everyday and as I am still working I have the weekends. I really do not mind as it allows me to spend time with him. He is 91 and up until a few months ago was totally independent and still driving, so it is very hard to watch him going down so quick and suffering. So I have had no time to change my oil and take my Spyder out for its first ride of the season, and this weekend was hard as the weather was finally beautiful and warm and there were so many bikes out! I felt guilty wishing I was riding, but emotions have been so high the last couple of months, that it would be so nice to get out. This feeling will pass and I will get out eventually, I just hope he does not suffer much more and finds some peace soon. Not sure why I wrote this, but feels better now that I did. Thanks.
    Last edited by Netminder; 05-03-2015 at 07:10 PM.
    2012 RT , stock Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

PRAYERS COMING YOUR WAY
    NO BIKE AT THIS TIME

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Thank you cuznjohn.

Spyder Garage

I hope he has a peaceful departure. You are able to do something I was not, as my parents were in the UK when they died & both did it suddenly.

It was nice out today though, but you will get your share of beautiful days.
    2008 GS SM5, Full Moon Silver
    2007 Piaggio MP3 - 250cc

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Praying for your Dad and for you. My Pa's 90th birthday was yesterday, and I cherish all the time I get to spend with him now.
    PrairieSpyder (Patti)

GOS member (Girls On Spyders) Spyder_Cowgirl's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Kindred Spirit -- Kindred Heart

Netminder .... I know your pain. My mother is also 91 and suffered a serious fall last September; 1 week in hospital and 3 weeks in respite care were needed. Because she lived at home and alone, the Social Worker would not release her to go home until round the clock care was set up. Fortunately, already had a working relationship with "Seniors at Home" in San Francisco and they were able to provide two aides (one of which is there 24 / 7 now). My mother is whip smart and keeps her mind active, it's just her body is old and tired -- but, I prefer to keep her at home as long as possible. She will be happier and healthier at home ... I know that ... but it is still difficult to see her decline. I don't see it every day, nor every weekend, as she is in California and I am in Texas (and that presents a whole new set of challenges ... as I'm sure you can imagine).

Anyway ... you are not alone in facing this difficult time and I pray for your father, for you, and for your family. Peace be with you ... Ann
    __________________________________________________ _
    2016 RT Limited -- "Jubilee" (as in Cherries)
    Guardian Bell (gift from spyderowboy)
    ISCI Dual Flag Mount – Tall Poles
    Lamonster Bottle Holder and Spyder Cuff
    Spyderpops Missing Belt Guard
    Spyderpops Bumpskid
    Spyderpops Rear Run / Brake / Turn LEDs
    Spyderpops Mirror LEDs
    Custom Dynamics HMT Brake

Spyderpops Keep Out The Trash (KOTT) Grills
    Don't Eat Mud / mudflap
    __________________________________________________ __

Spyder Garage

Our thoughts and go with you.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Thanks all! And to you and your Mom also Ann!

Very Active Member Orange Spyder Man's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

my prayers are with your Dad and you...

osm

Spyder Garage

Netminder
    It's always nice to share feelings and get it off your mind.All your feelings are natural.
    I know how you feel. Went through the same thing 1 1/2 years ago. My dad was 88 and failed quickly.
    I know it's tough not to ride but u only get one Mom and Dad. Spend as muçh time as u can with them.
    There will be plenty of time to ride.
    God Bles you and you Dad

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Thoughts and prayers to you going thru the same thing with my dad...

Spyder Garage

Default Embrace the moment

Buried my 91 year old father two weeks ago. Do everything you can to be there for his last moment. It's a very spiritual an powerfull moment for all.

Before my father passed we joked about him giving me a sign from beyond. We were at a Hospice and I watched his last breath. A little while later I went to get a pop. Had not drank or ate anything for about four hours, my mind was elsewhere. I needed some change from my pocket and in doing so I dropped 3 coins on the floor. The quarter rolled under the pop machine, a dime circled around and came back to me. But, the nickle I dropped neither rolled or spun. I laned BALANCED on it's edge between my feet and never moved.
    I stepped back and called over a Hospice custodian and asked him if he could see the nickle standing on it's edge. He said YEP! I asked if he would believe me if I said it landed like that. He said you bet. Every single day unexplained things happen at this facility but that's a first.

Just thought I would share.

Spyder Garage

Netminder, Spend as much time with your dad, go out to you and your family. Deanna

Current Spyder - 2023 F3 LTD Special Mineral Blue

Red LED NANO Saddlebag Marker Lights with Full Illumination
    Sequential Fender LED'S (Amber/Red) with Safety Reflector
    Dual Power Plate (12 V & USB ports)
    Gremlin Bell
    Rear Trunk Organizer (4 holders, 2 Elastic Holders)
    Lamonster "Top Cuff" with adjustable drink Holder
    SpyderPops Missing Guard Belt
    Console Accent Trim (Carbon Fiber Domed Black)
    Ultimate F3 Floorboards
    Front Fairing Service Access Door Covers (Carbon Fiber Doomed Black)
    Sway Bar with Links
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Half Cover
    A-Arm Daytime Dual Color LED Running Lights with Blinker Module
    Hi-Viz DRL and Sequential Mirrors lights

Former Spyder - 2014 RTS SE6 Cognac SOLD

Spyder Garage

Prayers

Spyder Garage

Cool My prayers are with you!

Quote Originally Posted by Netminder View Post
    I do not usually discuss my personal life here, but this is in a way a bit riding related. My father has been extremely sick the last couple of months and has been in palliative care for the last 3 weeks. We as a family have been taking shifts to make sure he has someone everyday and as I am still working I have the weekends. I really do not mind as it allows me to spend time with him. He is 91 and up until a few months ago was totally independent and still driving, so it is very hard to watch him going down so quick and suffering. So I have had no time to change my oil and take my Spyder out for its first ride of the season, and this weekend was hard as the weather was finally beautiful and warm and there were so many bikes out! I felt guilty wishing I was riding, but emotions have been so high the last couple of months, that it would be so nice to get out. This feeling will pass and I will get out eventually, I just hope he does not suffer much more and finds some peace soon. Not sure why I wrote this, but feels better now that I did. Thanks.

May God be by your side during this difficult time. I lost my step Dad last week, and I have great comfort in knowing that God needed another Hero in his kingdom. Stay Strong and treasure your time with your dad.

Spyder Garage

We can relate, my wife takes care of her Dad 24/7 for the last 3 years. He is 91 also and lives in another town. Care giving is a very stressful and emotional task. Please know our thoughts and prayers go out to you and your family. Make time to decompress when you can.
    God Bless
    DJ
    2015 F3-S Pearl White SM6 with a 7 Jurock custom windshield, Smooth-Spyder backrest, Shad saddle bags, RT sway bar, Elka stage 2 shocks in front and stage 2 with hyd. adjuster in the rear. Lamonster's LED fog lights, TricLed headlights, TricLed Safety LED package.
    2015 F3S , Black & White

Spyder Garage

Thoughts and Prayers for your Dad, you, and family.

john

Spyder Garage

Thanks for sharing. Don't feel guilty about wanting to take some time for yourself. Witnessing a loved one age and seeing their daily challenges is not an easy task. I live in a different state than the rest of my family and my siblings experienced the same struggle/moral dilemma recently. You see, just last month my mom (72yrs) was a passenger in a vehicle that was struck by a 17yr old female driver. The accident was so bad that one of her feet was amputated when the vehicle colapsed around her and she was subsequently taken by life flight to the hospital an hour drive away. My siblings drove to and from the hospital every day for a week before she passed. In addition to the daily drives, my brother had to commute 4 hrs each direction a couple times so he could catch up on work for his employer. Why do I bring this up, not for sympathy or empathy but rather to simply share that they too expressed guilt about wanting to take a day for themselves while she was in ICU, especially after she flat-lined and was resuscitated. If it helps, each eventually took a day off and it helped them rejuvenate their mental well being.

Here it is a few weeks later and my siblings are back to doing daily runs to the hospital for our aging aunt (88yrs).

Obviously the decision is yours and the amount of time you share with your loved one will be cherished by both of you. The question that you need to ask yourself is, "Can you give yourself permission to take a few moments for your own benefit?
    Last edited by 3 Wheel Rider; 05-03-2015 at 10:29 PM.
    2014 Spyder RT Limited SE6
    BRP Tri Axis Adjustable Handlebars
    BRP Adjustable Wind Deflectors
    BRP RT Passenger Armrest
    BRP Driver's Backrest
    BRP Travel Cover
    Baja Ron Swaybar
    SpyderPops KOTTS
    SpyderPops Bump Skid
    Lamonster NVB Highway Brackets w/ Gripper Pegs
    Lamonster LED Headlights & Fog Lights
    Custom Dynamics HMT Brake Light
    Show Chrome 7.5 inch Spiral Antenna
    SpyderFlap Mud Guard
    Helmetlok w/ T-Bar Extension
    Hopnel 5PC Luggage Set
    Airhawk R Seat Cushion
    Rivco Dual Flag Mount

Spyder Garage

Netminder; Hang in there these are tough times and many of us have been through similar. On one of the days you are not caring for your Dad...get the oil changed, do a safety check and wash your Spyder. Get it road ready....it will make you feel good.

Also, I can only say for now...spend as much time with your Dad as you can. He will be thankful and you wont regret one minute of it...you will be glad you did. My Dad had terminal lung cancer he died when I was 25 some 34 years ago...way to young. My brother and I did not understand how serious it was. Either the doctors did not tell Mom and Dad or they kept/protected us from how serious it was. When he was getting worse he asked me to go with him on a fishing trip (it would have been his last)... but newly married, working, etc....I at the time felt too busy to go with him and did not. I regret to this very day not going on that fishing trip with him.

So dont feel bad about anything...the Spyder will be waiting for you, your Dad needs you and you will always have the memories !

Thoughts are with you and your family !
    Craig From Albany Oregon

Spyder Garage

To all those here that are going through challenging times or have gone through the challenges of life and poor health and the loss of loved ones... not to speak for others but we all care....you are not alone.
    Craig From Albany Oregon

Spyder Garage

Default Sad news..!!

's to you all. I'm down to one parental family member and know what it's like... the sun will keep shinning for you both..you can ryde in it and he can see you clearly...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by WEB-WVR View Post
    To all those here that are going through challenging times or have gone through the challenges of life and poor health and the loss of loved ones... not to speak for others but we all care....you are not alone.
    Thanks for saying, what I was thinking! Prayers to all. My Dad too is terminal lung cancer, and has said " it is not fun dying of this" and I told him exactly what you mentioned above, many people die of it much younger than 91. But I guess it does not matter how old you are when you are there! Thanks agin to all for your words and prayers.

Spyder Garage

Netminder; not spoken for while, sorry to hear about your farther, hang in their bud our thoughts are with you and your family.

harry
    "Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus"
    My Rides;
    Nimbus 2000, Ford Anglia, 2012 Spyder RT Limited, Pre 14 Vintage Classic Collectors Edition!

Favorite Ride;
    Nimbus 2000 boy this thing can fly.

Mods:
    Charm of invisibility, Reparo Charm (cuts down on service cost)

One always wonders about roads not taken.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Thanks Harrypottar, great to hear from you! Haven't rode together since SITA 2012, hope we can again soon. Take Care.

Very Active Member mastertek2000's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

net you are doing the correct thing you can always ride but you can't replace the time with your dad prayers go out to you and your family