Spyder Garage

Default headlights adjustment

I rode at night yesterday eveening and it seems people are not very happy with me. I feel my low beams are more like a high beam and my high beam, well I was lighting up the tops of the tree's. I did have a passenger.

I read the manual on how to set up and aim the headlights. Question is I cannot see the headlight adjustment screws on my ST that they are talking about. Do I have to remove plastic to see them?
    2016 Spyder F3 Limited Steel Black Metallic
    Lamonster approved LED Headlights
    Lamonsters LED Fog lights
    BRP Driver & Passenger backrest
    BRP Trailer Hitch
    Shamrock Black & Polished
    Signature light
    Elka front shock's
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Dual Power outlets
    Garmin 590 GPS

Spyder Garage

Yes you have to take the panel n the left side to adjust the lights. At lease on my 2010RTL. I have a 2014 RTL. hadn't check on the adjustment for it but I wouldnthey would have moved it.' It is the Panel that has cam am on it under the handle bars.

Spyder Garage

Default Let's see..!!

The ST may have the same set up as the RSS, RS and you will find a small hole under each light on the faring. You cannot see the screw but a long blade phillps screwdriver will fit in and you can adjust them. If you ryde double up most the time make sure you have weight on the seat while adjusting. I am usually alone working on bikes so I use cement bags... new meaning for dead weight...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Mine was exactly like that. It takes a #4 Phillips screwdriver minimum 8 inches long. Good luck finding one, not a common size. After a bunch of searching my local NAPA dealer got me one overnight at a reasonable cost. The reason it is important to get the right size is the screwdriver is that it fits in the hole and meshes with the adjusting gear. The adjustment gear is located in the vent under the light.

Sorry the the white plastic gear is blurred. But you can see clearly the slot that the screwdriver follows to mesh with the gear.
    Attached Images Attached Images

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by billybovine View Post
    Mine was exactly like that. It takes a #4 Phillips screwdriver minimum 8 inches long. Good luck finding one, not a common size. After a bunch of searching my local NAPA dealer got me one overnight at a reasonable cost. The reason it is important to get the right size is the screwdriver is that it fits in the hole and meshes with the adjusting gear. The adjustment gear is located in the vent under the light.

Sorry the the white plastic gear is blurred. But you can see clearly the slot that the screwdriver follows to mesh with the gear.
    I could see the gears but was looking for a screw driver slot to turn them. I have the wall marked already and we just got back from a ride and with both of us on the Spyder when we pulled in the garage the light was about 8 to 10 inches above the high point.

No wonder I got the one finger salute from the guy in front of me last night.
    Last edited by 900Dave; 05-03-2015 at 02:59 PM.
    BRP Trailer Hitch
    Signature light
    Elka front shock's
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Dual Power outlets
    Garmin 590 GPS

Spyder Garage

Default Also need help...

I'm currently riding 2014 STS... I'm also having trouble adjusting the headlights...
    Here in Australia the low beam is located where the US fog lights are fitted... these present no problem to adjust, as mentioned above with a long phillips screwdriver...
    Same as my old 2008 GS, it was simple to adjust both high & low beams....

However adjusting high beam on the STS, being the upper lights is a different story ...(they are presently looking for possums in the treetops)
    The owners manual shows the adjustment screws to be just below the headlights in an area above the frunk latch....
    There is a small black panel there that I have tried to remove, it appears to be held in place with two small hex screws to gain access to the area indicated in the manual,, but there seams to be something else holding it in place...
    Or do I need to remove all the side panels (including the mirrors ect) to gain access to these adjustment screws...

Why dose BRP make a simple task, into a engineering nightmare...

All advice appreciated ..... Col..

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Ccol View Post
    I'm currently riding 2014 STS... I'm also having trouble adjusting the headlights...
    Here in Australia the low beam is located where the US fog lights are fitted... these present no problem to adjust, as mentioned above with a long phillips screwdriver...
    Same as my old 2008 GS, it was simple to adjust both high & low beams....

However adjusting high beam on the STS, being the upper lights is a different story ...(they are presently looking for possums in the treetops)
    The owners manual shows the adjustment screws to be just below the headlights in an area above the frunk latch....
    There is a small black panel there that I have tried to remove, it appears to be held in place with two small hex screws to gain access to the area indicated in the manual,, but there seams to be something else holding it in place...
    Or do I need to remove all the side panels (including the mirrors ect) to gain access to these adjustment screws...

Why dose BRP make a simple task, into a engineering nightmare...

All advice appreciated ..... Col..
    I believe there is no difference between my 2013 and your 2014 in this area. No panels need to be removed or harmed in the adjustment of the headlights. To access the adjuster gears is through the vents below the headlights, above the trunk. If you look in the vent and up at the bottom of the headlight you will see the channel the guides the screwdriver into the hole that adjusts the vertical aim. See picture in previous post. You will need a #4 Phillips screwdriver with a shaft longer than 200 mm.

#4 Phillips

Screwdriver length

Vents under headlights

Screwdriver in adjuster
    Attached Images Attached Images

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

Quote ;... I believe there is no difference between my 2013 and your 2014 in this area. No panels need to be removed or harmed in the adjustment of the headlights. To access the adjuster gears is through the vents below the headlights, above the trunk. If you look in the vent and up at the bottom of the headlight you will see the channel the guides the screwdriver into the hole that adjusts the vertical aim. See picture in previous post. You will need a #4 Phillips screwdriver with a shaft longer than 200 mm.

__________________________________________________ _________________

Thanks, billybovine, much appreciated.....

That clears that mystery....I was looking Phillips screw or a small bolt head of some sort ......not a gear wheel....

Ride Safe... Col..

Spyder Garage

I agree about the #4 phillips also. Most places only carry up to #3. So a #4 that long? I will do the same and call my local NAPA they also seem to be able to get what I need in a short amount of time.
    BRP Trailer Hitch
    Signature light
    Elka front shock's
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Dual Power outlets
    Garmin 590 GPS

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by billybovine View Post
    I believe there is no difference between my 2013 and your 2014 in this area. No panels need to be removed or harmed in the adjustment of the headlights. To access the adjuster gears is through the vents below the headlights, above the trunk. If you look in the vent and up at the bottom of the headlight you will see the channel the guides the screwdriver into the hole that adjusts the vertical aim. See picture in previous post. You will need a #4 Phillips screwdriver with a shaft longer than 200 mm.

[/IMG]
    ...Thanks!!! Picked up #4 8" Phillips at Sears and it worked perfectly. ..

Keep 3 Down..!!!

Spyder Garage

The dealership is too set them up when checked for state inspection in North Carolina. Other states not sure?
    If I can't fix it, I will fix it so no one can fix it. Sypder Loco!