Spyder Garage

Default Smooth Spyder F3 Backrest - road test

Just completed a 250 + mile road trip with the new backrest, the ability to adjust the backrest and the pad itself makes it truly unique.
    It took a few miles to get used to having my back supported again but it was very comfortable. I was able to complete the long ride with minimal
    back pain, that is a blessing in itself. The backrest drew attention from a few other spyder ryders, so I gave them the info. and showed them how
    it adjusted for the driver and then passenger.
    The quality of the material seems very high. The rest blends in with the color and style of the bike.
    So far 2-thumps up.
    Thanks, to Jim at smoothspyder...
    2015 F3-S Pearl White SM6 with a 7 Jurock custom windshield, Smooth-Spyder backrest, Shad saddle bags, RT sway bar, Elka stage 2 shocks in front and stage 2 with hyd. adjuster in the rear. Lamonster's LED fog lights, TricLed headlights, TricLed Safety LED package.
    2015 F3S , Black & White

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Smooth Spyder F3 backrest...

I have a Saddlemen's tall tail bag that I currently hook up over the Corbin backrest on my v-rod and wonder if this backrest is solid enough to do that with the tail bag. It is a fairly tall bag and I also use bungie cords for extra support.

Spyder Garage

Default Great review...

always hear good reports on his backrest. Wish I knew about it before. Enjoy your more comfortable rydes...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by reissooz View Post
    I have a Saddlemen's tall tail bag that I currently hook up over the Corbin backrest on my v-rod and wonder if this backrest is solid enough to do that with the tail bag. It is a fairly tall bag and I also use bungie cords for extra support.
    I would think it is plenty strong for that. I recently went to the races and tilted the seat flat in the passenger position and sat on there for a while.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Spyder Garage

Does anyone know if this will work with the urban rack?

mark
    Bullies are sad pathetic People

Spyder Garage

Default Awesome pics of carrier!

Quote Originally Posted by Retired 2012 View Post
    Just completed a 250 + mile road trip with the new backrest, the ability to adjust the backrest and the pad itself makes it truly unique.
    It took a few miles to get used to having my back supported again but it was very comfortable. I was able to complete the long ride with minimal
    back pain, that is a blessing in itself. The backrest drew attention from a few other spyder ryders, so I gave them the info. and showed them how
    it adjusted for the driver and then passenger.
    The quality of the material seems very high. The rest blends in with the color and style of the bike.
    So far 2-thumps up.
    Thanks, to Jim at smoothspyder...
    What was your job on carrier? Thanks for your service!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by capt.jim View Post
    I would think it is plenty strong for that. I recently went to the races and tilted the seat flat in the passenger position and sat on there for a while.
    Wow, talk about multi-purpose! Driver's backrest, passenger backrest, stadium seat. We love ours by the way.

CJ JAX

Spyder Garage

2 different assignments: 1st as Flight Deck Lighting (changing the bulbs, replacing the light units, rigging for deception)
    2nd as a Master-at arms (on board police duties as well as shore patrol in overseas ports)
    2015 F3-S Pearl White SM6 with a 7 Jurock custom windshield, Smooth-Spyder backrest, Shad saddle bags, RT sway bar, Elka stage 2 shocks in front and stage 2 with hyd. adjuster in the rear. Lamonster's LED fog lights, TricLed headlights, TricLed Safety LED package.
    2015 F3S , Black & White

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by capt.jim View Post
    Love the backrest but I'm interested in the license plate modification in the pic. Do you have a kit for that?

Spyder Garage

Jim,
    Like the license plate position, too.
    How did you do it?
    Thanks,
    DJ

PS. I get a lot of good comments when people see the back rest, you did a great job!!!!!!
    2015 F3S , Black & White

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Retired 2012 View Post
    Jim,
    Like the license plate position, too.
    How did you do it?
    Thanks,
    DJ

PS. I get a lot of good comments when people see the back rest, you did a great job!!!!!!
    Thank you.
    The license plate bracket wasn't anything special, just a piece of aluminum plate cut to fit the plate with a tab for three 1/4" bolts and bolted to the underside of the plastic undertail. It will hit the tire though if you don't have it bent out some.

Spyder Garage

Received an email that my backrest was here, well USPS Tracking lied. Said it was on the truck to be delivered. Well, I waited 5 months for the F3 so I guess I can wait one more day for Jim's backrest.

Another Day To Be My Kid's Dad [emoji379]
    2015 F3-S. And Another Day To Be My Kids Dad

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default install instructions

Does someone who has installed this on the F3 have the instructions they could scan in or take a picture and put it on here? I want to see what's all involved with it before I buy it. I don't really want to start cutting things on a brand new machine

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by philmorin View Post
    Does someone who has installed this on the F3 have the instructions they could scan in or take a picture and put it on here? I want to see what's all involved with it before I buy it. I don't really want to start cutting things on a brand new machine
    No cutting involved in the installation. Just remove the bolts that hold the passenger grips, and replace with the longer bolts that are part of the package. Very simple.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Backrest

I got my backrest for Christmas and so far I love it. One question that I do have is will the Corbin fleetliner saddlebags still work with the backrest? I am not sure how the saddlebags install but with the longer bolts and spacing for the handgrips I wanted to make sure before I buy. Thanks.

Spyder Garage

I can tell you Jim's backrest will not work for the drivers position with the thicker Corbin seat.
    2015 F3 SE6 Black and Chrome, Smoothspyder Backrest and more to come.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RedSpyderGirl View Post
    I got my backrest for Christmas and so far I love it. One question that I do have is will the Corbin fleetliner saddlebags still work with the backrest? I am not sure how the saddlebags install but with the longer bolts and spacing for the handgrips I wanted to make sure before I buy. Thanks.
    Mine were ordered on Oct 16, if they ever show up I will post some pics and any modifications if needed.
    I hope they have fixed the ill fitting gaps on the lid.

Spyder Garage

Hello. Where can I see more of this backrest? I may pick up a new F3-S and was going to make an adjustable one myself. I am more interested in the mounting/adjustment area.

Also, how much? It may not be worth my time of yours is nice enough.
    2016 Can-Am X-MR 1000R (For Sale)
    • Ricochet Skids
    • Rox Risers
    • 200 Miles

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ProTek View Post
    Hello. Where can I see more of this backrest? I may pick up a new F3-S and was going to make an adjustable one myself. I am more interested in the mounting/adjustment area.

Also, how much? It may not be worth my time of yours is nice enough.
    smoothspyder.com, $475

Spyder Garage

I have the backrest and love it. Great work Jim!
    Live, Love, and Ride! God Bless!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Ron2andia View Post
    I have the backrest and love it. Great work Jim!
    Thanks a lot. Happy new year, use it in good health I hope.

Spyder Garage

Have SmoothSpyder backrest on my F3-S and installed Viking bags with the easy bracket. No modifications.

Another Day To Be My Kid's Dad [emoji379]
    2015 F3-S. And Another Day To Be My Kids Dad