Spyder Garage

Default Another DESS Error message (2014 RTS)

We just returned from a 175 mile ride. About half way we stopped for about an hour for a CMA event we were attending. When we were ready to leave the Spyder (2014 RTS) would not start and I got the orange/black 'key' at the bottom of the screen. Tried turning the key about a half dozen times and it finally started. Then on the return ride we stopped for gas. After fueling up I tried to start the Spyder and not only got the 'key' symbol, but also got the DESS Error message. After several attempts I stepped away from the machine for a couple of minutes and tried it again. This time the Spyder started. We rode the rest of the trip home without shutting the engine off. I parked it in the garage and tried to start it several times and had no problems at all. The only thing I now notice is that after I turn off the key the lights stay on for maybe 10 seconds, as they always have, but when they shut off there is a loud 'clunk' sound in the right front of the dash. I tried it several times and got the same loud 'clunk' every time. This has never happened before.

2014 RT-S Pearl White - 'Miss Pearl'

Spyder Garage

Sounds like you need to take it to the dealer for a new switch and keys
    OR
    Your Spyder knew you were on the way home and it did not want to go home yet
    That's why it started every time at home it wants you to go riding
    Now 2014 RT Limited Cognac
    Was 2008 GS SM5

Don Garbarino

Cup Holder
    GPS locking holder
    Mud flap
    Modified KNOTT grill
    Phone holder and charger
    Trailer hitch
    Dual air horn
    Auxiliary fuse box with relays
    Heated clothing controller
    volt/oil pressure gauge
    Sequential signals in mirror
    Tri Axis Handle bars
    Baja Ron anti sway bar/heim links
    shorty antenna
    And many more

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by LEEB View Post
    We just returned from a 175 mile ride. About half way we stopped for about an hour for a CMA event we were attending. When we were ready to leave the Spyder (2014 RTS) would not start and I got the orange/black 'key' at the bottom of the screen. Tried turning the key about a half dozen times and it finally started. Then on the return ride we stopped for gas. After fueling up I tried to start the Spyder and not only got the 'key' symbol, but also got the DESS Error message. After several attempts I stepped away from the machine for a couple of minutes and tried it again. This time the Spyder started. We rode the rest of the trip home without shutting the engine off. I parked it in the garage and tried to start it several times and had no problems at all. The only thing I now notice is that after I turn off the key the lights stay on for maybe 10 seconds, as they always have, but when they shut off there is a loud 'clunk' sound in the right front of the dash. I tried it several times and got the same loud 'clunk' every time. This has never happened before.
    I have seen and read of this problem. Take it to the dealer and get it fixed, it will happen again. I read that someone was halfway to Spyderfest he had to get a truck to take it home. I not going to plan to travel any more, the rear shock broke two weeks ago and I have on working shock for my SPYDER to ride it to the Spyder Rally in Myrtle Beach, SC., but I paid the hotel in advance, so I'll drive my car down. They told me mid May for by shock. The same thing happened to my last year. We planned to go to the Smoky Mountain Spyder Rally N.C. the SE5 shifter stopped working they had it for about 8 weeks and missed all our fall ridding. Good luck with your Spyder.

Mike

Spyder Garage

Default Same Thing

Had the same thing happen to my 2014 RTL. Took it to the dealer and they replaced the ignition switch and keys. Problem solved. Lots of 2014's having this problem. No recall but the dealers will replace the ignition switches as part of the warranty.