Spyder Garage

Default Stranded on way to Spyderfest - help

We are in Clarksville, AR and we went to start my father in laws 2014 RT and it shows DESS ERROR and the keys lights up in Orange on the bottom. This prevents us from starting. Fixes???
    SmoothSpyder Backrest | Removed 'CanAm' graphics | ThermoTech II Wrapped Exhaust | 2014 Vented Side Panels | BajaRon Sway Bar | BajaRon Heim Links | Bump Skid (via SpyderQuest & SpyderPops) | Rivco drink bracket, reversed, with X-Grip for phone holder | BRP Ultra Touring Windshield | Givi Hard Saddlebags | Russell Day-Long Seat

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

The DESS error is normally a "Call the Dealer" sort of issue...
    It's the anti-theft system of the bike...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

I've read on this forum that some folks have had temporary success walking away from the bike with the key in hand for awhile, and then trying again. I've also read about turning the key on and off three times and then giving it another shot. There have been issues with some of the ignition switches, so even if you manage to get it started somehow I would have it checked as soon as possible thereafter. Good luck.
    MEP
    ​2019 F3 Limited

Spyder Garage

Agree with post above. Turn the Spyder off, remove the key from ignition and walk away from Spyder for in order to allow the system to reset. I would also try a second key if you have one.

Spyder Garage

Default All of the above...

Problem is the 2014's had ignition switch issues that require replacing the switch. Some were intermitten (hope the above works for you) but some just stopped working and needed replacing. If you get her going go to a dealer and have it replaced (their dime). Good luck..
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

To add to the conversation, you need something like seven minutes away to completely restart the system. I would do ten to be sure you are getting a true restart, and keep the keys 30 feet away. That way you can be sure you are getting a complete re-set.
    2020 RT Limited in the ultra cool Deep Marsala Dark edition.

Baja Ron Anti-Sway Bar, LED reflectors, Lamonster USB Charger (and phone mount), Can-Am Low Windshield, X-Creen Tour Variable Windscreen Spoiler Blade, Power Commander, Dilithium powered Flux Capacitor (not yet fully functional).
    Maintained by Lou at Pirate Powersports.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

cycle the key as stated wait 7-10 min. this is obviously a temporary fix and it might come on in a mile or never again.

Spyder Garage

If it does come on again, you'll want to check the actual codes. This is how it works on and RT, which I think is the same on an ST (or not?)

Basically, you hold down the "mode" and "set" buttons on your handlebars and then hold down the turn signal to bring them up. They may give you some additional info. There is an app for checking those, and you can search this site and Google for more info.

Baja Ron Anti-Sway Bar, LED reflectors, Lamonster USB Charger (and phone mount), Can-Am Low Windshield, X-Creen Tour Variable Windscreen Spoiler Blade, Power Commander, Dilithium powered Flux Capacitor (not yet fully functional).

Spyder Garage

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1430495213.811411.jpg

Still holding faith that we'll get it fixed it Fort Smith and catch Spyderfest later tonight!!!
    SmoothSpyder Backrest | Removed 'CanAm' graphics | ThermoTech II Wrapped Exhaust | 2014 Vented Side Panels | BajaRon Sway Bar | BajaRon Heim Links | Bump Skid (via SpyderQuest & SpyderPops) | Rivco drink bracket, reversed, with X-Grip for phone holder | BRP Ultra Touring Windshield | Givi Hard Saddlebags | Russell Day-Long Seat

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Good Luck...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Sorry to hear about the DESS glitch. Looks like you now have the situation well in hand. Keep us posted.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

No joy - heading back to Dallas in the back of a box truck!!

Spyderfest you are so elusive!!! 2016 bound!!!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NoLmtz View Post
    No joy - heading back to Dallas in the back of a box truck!!

Spyderfest you are so elusive!!! 2016 bound!!!
    Very, very sorry to hear that.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

That sucks.Hope you get it fixed soon
    2018 RT Anniversary , Brake pedal extended

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Ex Winger View Post
    That sucks.Hope you get it fixed soon

Big time. What was the issue
    Last edited by vided; 05-01-2015 at 05:30 PM.

this posting has been vetted, scrubbed and endorsed by the
    committee for postings

Spyder Garage

Just got back to Dallas. It was a long trip to Spyderfest without ever seeing spyderfest!!
    The issue is a failed antenna that authorizes the key - if that fails your machine is DOA! No warning or indication - just failed!!
    No worries - we'll be back next year!!

Spyder Garage

Sorry you missed it.

I do have to wonder if the whole chipped key thing really helps us - would we have theft issues without it? I doubt it.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NoLmtz View Post
    We are in Clarksville, AR and we went to start my father in laws 2014 RT and it shows DESS ERROR and the keys lights up in Orange on the bottom. This prevents us from starting. Fixes???
    To bad, I have seen this reported before. BRP knows of this problem, I guess they fix them as they fail. That's why I have trailer to put it on. I have read to many threads on here of all kinds of thing like this happening. I have missed a lot of trips and tons of ridding time because of lack of parts and/or service. I have found the older my 2011 Spyder gets the more problems I have and longer it takes to get parts.

Mike

Spyder Garage

Default Same problem

We just returned from a 175 mile ride. About half way we stopped for about an hour for a CMA event we were attending. When we were ready to leave the Spyder (2014 RTS) would not start and I got the orange/black 'key' at the bottom of the screen. Tried turning the key about a half dozen times and it finally started. Then on the return ride we stopped for gas. After fueling up I tried to start the Spyder and not only got the 'key' symbol, but also got the DESS Error message. After several attempts I stepped away from the machine for a couple of minutes and tried it again. This time the Spyder started. We rode the rest of the trip home without shutting the engine off. I parked it in the garage and tried to start it several times and had no problems at all. The only thing I now notice is that after I turn off the key the lights stay on for maybe 10 seconds, as they always have, but when they shut off there is a loud 'clunk' sound in the right front of the dash. I tried it several times and got the same loud 'clunk' every time. This has never happened before.

2014 RT-S Pearl White - 'Miss Pearl'