Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: V twin vs 1330

Spyder Garage

Default 998

I have a 13 RTS and I have test driven the 15 RT and the F3. I love my V twin on the mountain roads You can really give it to it.
    But for the intersate and the long trips I think the 1330 might be more appealing
    I just don't think I can give up an add. 15 grand, a year and half after I bought mine.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by rays hell View Post
    I have a 13 RTS and I have test driven the 15 RT and the F3. I love my V twin on the mountain roads You can really give it to it.
    But for the intersate and the long trips I think the 1330 might be more appealing
    I just don't think I can give up an add. 15 grand, a year and half after I bought mine.
    Did you take the 1330 out of eco Mode? It has lots of getup & GO for the twisties....Back to the original post. I had 2 V-Twins before my 1330 & if you are not a big touring person I would recommend the RS/ST version but The 1330 is the for overall performance/ fuel/maintaince savings.
    Last edited by happyspyder2039; 04-30-2015 at 10:16 PM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Hopefully this can get settled tonight... on the strip!
    Remember guys: times and trap speeds!
    May the best racers win!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Actually I could care less about trap times and top speeds. While it is thrilling to see and hear a well tuned motor in full song running down the strip, those days are over for me. I push the curves hard when alone and love the back roads more then the freeways. My riding is mostly commuting to work, local fun and a trip long or short when ever I can get away. Mostly just me or me and some friends,sometimes my wife.

I have found a local 2012 RT Limited in the Lava Bronze/tan seat and I am going to look at it tomorrow and hopefully make a deal.It only has 8000 mi. on it. Thank you all for your experiences and ideas. You have helped me feel comfortable with getting the twin and I am sure that I will be enjoying it for quite awhile. If this deal happens I will post pictures.
    Last edited by pegasus1300; 05-01-2015 at 10:32 AM.
    2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default SPYDERFEST DRAG RACES

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Hopefully this can get settled tonight... on the strip!
    Remember guys: times and trap speeds!
    May the best racers win!
    ................ Bob there are NO TIMES , NO TRAP SPEEDS ........I won't comment further .....Mike

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Did you get smoked in the first run???

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default DRAGS

Did you get smoked in the first run???
    NO

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Double Trouble View Post
    We kinda like the way the trikes sound at 5-6,000 rpm. I don't consider that 'dealing with it', I view it as a plus.
    I have spent a little time on two other Spyders with the 1330 engine, and I missed the way my higher rev 998 feels and sounds. That's not to say, however, that if I were shopping for a Spyder today, I wouldn't opt for the 1330 engine for all the other reasons mentioned in this thread. But like Double Trouble, I would NOT trade up my 2-year old RT just to have the 1330 engine.

Quote Originally Posted by pegasus1300 View Post
    I have found a local 2012 RT Limited in the Lava Bronze/tan seat and I am going to look at it tomorrow and hopefully make a deal.It only has 8000 mi. on it. Thank you all for your experiences and ideas. You have helped me feel comfortable with getting the twin and I am sure that I will be enjoying it for quite awhile. If this deal happens I will post pictures.
    I think you will be VERY happy with that machine. Especially the color (which you cannot get with a 1330 engine).
    Last edited by robmorg; 05-03-2015 at 08:07 PM.
    Rob
    2013 RT Limited
    My "Mods & Farkles" Link
    May ALL your roads be beautiful
    Greisemer's Mill Bridge, Oley, PA
    2013 RT Limited , Lava Bronze with Antler Brown Seat

Spyder Garage

Default 2012

if your going to try the 998 get a 2012 they were the best of the earlier models.I upgraded to the 1330 but the 998 is plenty competent,you just have to get accustom to the rpm range it wants to run in and you will have to deal with a little bit of hot foot issues,but nothing bad enough to stop you from enjoying it.
    good luck, either way you will be happy
    Maybe I should give a little more background. I have been riding 50+ years. I started on British singles then twins. I have had Harleys BMW, and some of most everything else. From 1986 until 2011 I have been on Yamaha V4's ,Venture Royales and Royal Stars. That is actually my preferred motorcycle but they are no longer produced and hadn't been up graded for years before their discontinuance. I bought my Goldwing trike because of back to back bad motorcycle accidents,the last one putting my wife and I in the hospital for 9 days.That is when I decided to go to three wheels. The Goldwing I bought because it was available and(relatively)cheap. It has not been my favorite ride. It is supremely competent and reliable even tho 25 years old and taught me that I can enjoy riding still on 3 wheels.I tried the sports car convertible thing but that didn't work. So if I am going to spend what it takes to buy a Venture and then convert it to a trike(or any other motorcycle for that matter) I want some modern features on it. ABS,traction control etc.The 1800 Goldwing is not an option for me,Goldwings are not my cup. So hopefully that will give you a little more insight into me and my riding.

I really appreciate the views from those that are continuing to ride their V Twins. I would love the 1330,not a doubt in my mind,but budget wise it's not in the cards for awhile yet.I have ridden a 2011RT in 2011 .I liked it but thought the revs too high and maybe the engine would be over stressed because of that.Now That it has been around for awhile,how's it doing?

Thank you all for taking the time to write about your experiences.
    2014 rt-s black,bump skid,baja ron swaybar and shock spring adjusters,rivco highway mounts &pegs and trunk flag holders 2014 900 ace renegade

Spyder Garage

Default I loved my RT V twin

I actually do rev the Wing quite high.I ride in 4th unless on the freeway as I think it runs better that way and 5th is called an overdrive. It has seen redline more then once and it also gets terrible gas mileage(25-30).The problem is not having the extra $15K to begin with. I don't mind used, I have only had 2 new bikes in my 50 years of riding.

You all can't tell me which edition to buy I know that. I just need enough information about your experiences to complete my own though processes. Again thanks for your help.
    I had a 2010 RT S, (V Twin 998). Manuel trans. I loved that Spyder. As you said, money is the factor or you would just go ahead with the 1330 engine. Don't despair, find a 2012 RT S with fairly low mileage and go for it. the 2013's did have some heat issues. So I would go for the '12 model. You will have a great time with it. I Took the 2010 RT, pulling the can am 622 trailer, across country with my Wife and had a trip of a lifetime. Five thousand miles of memories. I was able to trade up late last year to a '14 but if I had not been able to do that I would still be happy on the V Twin. It is a 100 H.P. motor that loves the higher rpm's . That's what it is made for. You will still get 30 mpg or so. It has a 6 gallon tank, I ran mine many times upward of 150 miles and many times to 170 before getting gas. This will get you into the Spyder family and a chance to learn what a great time you can have on it. After a couple of years or three there will be some 2014 1330's on the used market as folks trade up to '16's and '17's.

Attached Images Attached Images
    Happy Spyderlovers

Spyder Garage

Default F3 for the twisties; 1330 for the interstates

Quote Originally Posted by rays hell View Post
    Just got back from Spyderfest on the 2015 RT-S SE6 with 2 days of severe crosswinds. Loved the 200 mile intervals between gas stops and the lower revs, 6 speeds on the secondary Kansas roads for the most part. Hated the back seat in the crosswinds, but that would be on either ride. Time for the first 3000 mile service and looking forward to the longer service interval, although we will probably keep oil changes around 6,000 mile for the most part. JMHO.

Still have the 2011 RT SM5 with 65000 miles on the 998 platform, and would favor it if headed up to the mountains and twisties. I like the lower revving 1330 and extra torque on the grades, and the engine braking but still like the finesse of the manual and RPM and lighter weight for the sweeps and twisties. I did get a chance to try out the F3 demos and think that would be a great ride in the twisties/mountains, and a good long haul cruiser with windshield and touring bags. Looking forward to many more miles on either platform.
    2015 RT , OEM Black Gloss

Spyder Garage

I have found a 2012 RT SE5 Limited in Lava Bronze with only 8300 miles for 15,900. As soon as the current Goldwing sells I will be buying this this one. I rode it a little yesterday and we really liked it.
    For those of you have it installed what does the CB/intercom cost?

Spyder Garage

Maybe I should give a little more background. I have been riding 50+ years. I started on British singles then twins. I have had Harleys BMW, and some of most everything else. From 1986 until 2011 I have been on Yamaha V4's ,Venture Royales and Royal Stars. That is actually my preferred motorcycle but they are no longer produced and hadn't been up graded for years before their discontinuance. I bought my Goldwing trike because of back to back bad motorcycle accidents,the last one putting my wife and I in the hospital for 9 days.That is when I decided to go to three wheels. The Goldwing I bought because it was available and(relatively)cheap. It has not been my favorite ride. It is supremely competent and reliable even tho 25 years old and taught me that I can enjoy riding still on 3 wheels.I tried the sports car convertible thing but that didn't work. So if I am going to spend what it takes to buy a Venture and then convert it to a trike(or any other motorcycle for that matter) I want some modern features on it. ABS,traction control etc.The 1800 Goldwing is not an option for me,Goldwings are not my cup. So hopefully that will give you a little more insight into me and my riding.

I really appreciate the views from those that are continuing to ride their V Twins. I would love the 1330,not a doubt in my mind,but budget wise it's not in the cards for awhile yet.I have ridden a 2011RT in 2011 .I liked it but thought the revs too high and maybe the engine would be over stressed because of that.Now That it has been around for awhile,how's it doing?

Thank you all for taking the time to write about your experiences.
    Wow... sounds like my story as well. I have owned Ventures, Voyagers (XII), Nomads, Goldwings etc. When you go to 3 wheels, you add $10-15K to the quotient on a new trike of any sort over a similar two wheeler. I can't spend the $20K plus for a 3 cyl Can Am and since the twins are affordable, there really isn't any decision. I sold my trike Saturday and the advice to save my money will I can afford a 3 cyl RT would cause me to wait several years before I could get a touring 2014 RT priced at about $24K (cheapest I could find local). It takes me a long time to set aside over $10K! I have test ridden a 2010 and 2011 RT and they have similar power and handing as my departed trike and since they are 13 years newer, add a lot of peace of mind. Folks, your purchase decision doesn't necessarily reflect your status or intelligence... sometimes it reflects your finances and priorities. My priority is not to sink my life savings into vehicles but to have one that does what I need (two up touring) and doesn't have to be new or top of the line. Not meaning to give any offense to anyone... just my take on the situation being discussed.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by wiredgeorge View Post
    Wow... sounds like my story as well. I have owned Ventures, Voyagers (XII), Nomads, Goldwings etc. When you go to 3 wheels, you add $10-15K to the quotient on a new trike of any sort over a similar two wheeler. I can't spend the $20K plus for a 3 cyl Can Am and since the twins are affordable, there really isn't any decision. I sold my trike Saturday and the advice to save my money will I can afford a 3 cyl RT would cause me to wait several years before I could get a touring 2014 RT priced at about $24K (cheapest I could find local). It takes me a long time to set aside over $10K! I have test ridden a 2010 and 2011 RT and they have similar power and handing as my departed trike and since they are 13 years newer, add a lot of peace of mind. Folks, your purchase decision doesn't necessarily reflect your status or intelligence... sometimes it reflects your finances and priorities. My priority is not to sink my life savings into vehicles but to have one that does what I need (two up touring) and doesn't have to be new or top of the line. Not meaning to give any offense to anyone... just my take on the situation being discussed.
    Thank you George you explained me very well. Wiredgeorge and I have been following each other around the internet for several years at Venturers, Venture Riders, and Trike Talk and now here. I have always found his comments to be accurate and knowledgeable.
    You are a little ahead of me as I still have to sell the Goldwing. If you don't mind my asking what did you get out of it? I have mine advertised for 9200.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I have owned a 2009 RS V twin, a 2011 RT V twin, and now a 2014 RT LTD 1330 triple.

I liked the turbine smoothness of the v twin at high revs and could ride it all day at 5000-6000RPM, but I had to learn to like it as by nature I prefer a more relaxed low rev ride.

I swear the twins handle better.

I'll take the triple as my favorite and be more careful in the corners. To make me really happy they have to make the seat 6" longer to accommodate two big riders

Spyder Garage

I was fortunate enough to be able to switch to the 1330...

Comparing the 998 to the 1330...

...Is like bringing a very sharp knife; to a gunfight!

The lower rpm levels make for a more relaxed and quiet ride.
    The six speed locks up the clutches fully; no more burning up clutch plates...
    The cooling system capacity has been doubled, and the fans don't blow hot air on the rider anymore!
    The charging system has almost been doubled
    No valve adjustments... EVER!

I loved my 2010...
    ...but the new machine is better in every imaginable way!

The 1330 never needs its valves adjusting? Are they done hydraulically like a Harley/Buell?

Spyder Garage

Were there any time slips for track? I am very curious of the outcome.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

They didn't run on a track; it was more of a street racing sort of format this year...

Spyder Garage

So to finish this thread out I did buy my Spyder pictures are in another thread. It is a Vtwin. I have read many of the threads on how to ride the vtwin and they have been very helpful. I am enjoying my Spyder very much and thank you all for your help in the decision to buy a twin rather then put my self in a bind for a 1330.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

Spyder Garage

Life is too short to drink bad beer or own a 998 v-twin. 1330 for the win. IMHO.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

So to finish this thread out I did buy my Spyder pictures are in another thread. It is a Vtwin. I have read many of the threads on how to ride the vtwin and they have been very helpful. I am enjoying my Spyder very much and thank you all for your help in the decision to buy a twin rather then put my self in a bind for a 1330.

Spyder Garage

I bought my 2014 RT Spyder for $19600, here in Mexico everything is higher than the US, electricity, gas, you name it. But I did get quite a deal on mine. I really wanted a 2014 if possible, it took me 3 months to find it, but you can find them reasonable enough if you look for it and be patient. Mine had about 400 miles only on it too. Was missing all accessories but that was ok with me. I already got lots of the stuff it was missing like the Ipod cable, tool kit, 2 more keys, etc....manual online, no DVD though...

Hope you enjoy your new bike! I know the feeling and it is so much fun! Enjoy!

Spyder Garage

You've already seen the pics in "Charlotte is home" I think I remember you posting there?!

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by cougar View Post
    Life is too short to drink bad beer or own a 998 v-twin. 1330 for the win. IMHO.
    So then I can count on you for the extra scratch to buy the more expensive machine right?

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

Spyder Garage

Default Just got in from 2000 miles in Utah on the Twin- Wife's still out on the 1330

[wait QUOTE=pegasus1300;968448]I am in the process of selling my 1990 Goldwing SE 1500 trike to be able to buy a Spyder RT. It has become apparent that I will not get as much out of my Trike as I had hoped so I may have to adj my desires. I had wanted to get s 1330 but it seems that may be out of reach budget wise. For those of you who have ridden a 1330 but for whatever reason are still on the V Twin how do you feel about your V Twin.What are you doing to deal with the more frequent service intervals,higher RPM, lower gas mileage,etc.
    Thanks for your help.[/QUOTE]

Great trip, great scenery, on mostly secondary roads through Western Colorado, Canyonlands, North Rim, Zion, Bryce, Capitol Reef and assorted state parks in Utah.

Overall both bikes did well, and the other two riders that went with us enjoyed the cruising through the parks this week.

Observations: Wifes' and her friends' 1330 RTS's were the ride of choice when we parked the others and cruised two up through the parks so we could gawk and take pictures.
    My twin and the other bike were the deciding factors on scheduling fueling stops and we carried tanks to provide a safety factor and usually fueled at between 100-130 miles for safety. The 1330's were usually good for the 160-200 mile intervals with no concern for running out.

When I had to duck out and get back, the 250 miles of interstate would have been easier at 75-80 mph if I had been on the 1330, however winds and traffic were light and I made 570 miles yesterday and got in this morning after another 130 miles with no concerns..... averaging about 32 MPG riding one up moderately for the most part. Oil usage was about 1/3 quart overall on the 998 twin, and didn't even take a bottle for the 1330..... it hasn't used any with about 7000 miles on the Odo since new. I will change oil again on the twin in another 2000 miles at 70,000 total, and wait for the 1330 to hit 10,000 miles and change early switching to full synthetic. Looking forward to more parks and cruising the rest of the summer.

Anytime the wife wanted to show she could, she could just roll on the throttle going up a grade and make me grab a gear to accelerate to keep up..

If you burn up the interstates and ride two up, wait and look for a good deal on a 1330. If you ride like Bob or I and enjoy the purr of the twin at 5100 RPM and 60-65 MPH buy a low mileage 2011 or 2012 RT. Just enjoy the ride!!!!
    2015 RT , OEM Black Gloss