Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: V twin vs 1330

Spyder Garage

Default V twin vs 1330

I am in the process of selling my 1990 Goldwing SE 1500 trike to be able to buy a Spyder RT. It has become apparent that I will not get as much out of my Trike as I had hoped so I may have to adj my desires. I had wanted to get s 1330 but it seems that may be out of reach budget wise. For those of you who have ridden a 1330 but for whatever reason are still on the V Twin how do you feel about your V Twin.What are you doing to deal with the more frequent service intervals,higher RPM, lower gas mileage,etc.
    Thanks for your help.
    Last edited by pegasus1300; 04-28-2015 at 06:59 PM.
    2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I was fortunate enough to be able to switch to the 1330...

Comparing the 998 to the 1330...

...Is like bringing a very sharp knife; to a gunfight!

The lower rpm levels make for a more relaxed and quiet ride.
    The six speed locks up the clutches fully; no more burning up clutch plates...
    The cooling system capacity has been doubled, and the fans don't blow hot air on the rider anymore!
    The charging system has almost been doubled
    No valve adjustments... EVER!

I loved my 2010...
    ...but the new machine is better in every imaginable way!
    Last edited by Bob Denman; 04-28-2015 at 02:21 PM.
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by pegasus1300 View Post
    I am in the process of selling my 1990 Goldwing SE trike to be able to buy a Spyder RT. It has become apparent that I will not get as much out of my Trike as I had hoped so I may have to adj my desires. I had wanted to get s 1330 but it seems that may be out of reach budget wise. For those of you who have ridden a 1330 but for whatever reason are still on the V Twin how do you feel about your V Twin.What are you doing to deal with the more frequent service intervals,higher RPM, lower gas mileage,etc.
    Thanks for your help.

I've ridden the F3 1330 engine and I currently own the v-twin 998 engine. I used to think the v-twin was the greatest until I rode the 1330 engine. Everything is better with that engine/tranny when it comes to performance. The only reason that I haven't purchased the F3 is because I have faith that the RS-S will come out with 1330 ACE engine.

Spyder Garage

I have one of each. The difference is night and day. Bob D. has the major points covered pretty well.

They are both great machines, I just like one of them a bit better.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

As a recent X-Wing Triker, I can tell you that you'll be more pleased with the 1330 motor family.
    Mike
    2021 Marsala Red Metallic RT Limited

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I have ridden both and the 1330 is a step up. Having said that there is nothing wrong with the v-twin equipped RT. It requires more service (I do my own oil changes) and more gas (about 120 miles a tank) but if you can find a low mileage 2012 you will have many years of enjoyment out of it. The jury is still out on the 2013 (heat fix) so don't go there yet.
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Spyder Garage

Default Committed to V-twins for now

I am in the process of selling my 1990 Goldwing SE trike to be able to buy a Spyder RT. It has become apparent that I will not get as much out of my Trike as I had hoped so I may have to adj my desires. I had wanted to get s 1330 but it seems that may be out of reach budget wise. For those of you who have ridden a 1330 but for whatever reason are still on the V Twin how do you feel about your V Twin.What are you doing to deal with the more frequent service intervals,higher RPM, lower gas mileage,etc.
    Thanks for your help.

I have ridden the 1330 and like it a lot. It reminds me a bit of my Gold Wing or my Valkyrie with gobs of torque on the low end meaning there is no reason to keep the revs up at lower speeds. It also seemed quieter to me.

That said, my wife and I still have our 2012 RT's with the 998 V-Twin. We could afford to move up to a pair of 1330's but both of us have our Spyders the way we want them, with various add-ons. My guesstimate is that we could be into a pair of 15's for our two RT's plus about thirty grand. I can pay for a lot of service intervals, another set of tires, a few more gallons of gasoline and a whole lot of other stuff and still have more than twenty grand of our money working for us in investments.

We kinda like the way the trikes sound at 5-6,000 rpm. I don't consider that 'dealing with it', I view it as a plus.
    Penny and Rick have owned many motorcycles starting in 1974 with Honda’s, then to Suzukis, Gold Wings and ultimately Spyders.
    ‘74 Honda 360T (pair); ‘78 Suzuki GS 1000 (pair); ‘’82 Honda Aspencade; ‘84 Honda 400; ‘87 Yamaha 1100; ‘99 Honda Valkyrie; ‘01 Suzuki Burgman(triked); ‘02 Honda GL 1800(triked); ‘10 Spyder RTSE; ‘11 Spyder RTSM; ‘12 Spyder RTSL (pair); ‘20 Spyder RTL (current)

Spyder Garage

Thumbs up

I have not ridden a Spyder with the 1330, but I am sure the advancements of the bigger engine and so on are great things that anyone who has upgraded will love, but honestly it won't mean anything to you if you love what you have. I have a 2012 RSS, I have seen the love people have for the F3, ST, RT and so on but it means nothing to me because I am already happy. In a few years when I upgrade I will be happy then too, not more happy but still happy cause I love my ride. I may notice improvement right away but it won't change whether or not my current Spyder is awesome. There is always improvement in products each year. Just get the one that works best for you and your situation and ride it...ride it...then ride it some more. As long as you have no major mechanical issues you most likely won't have many thoughts about what the engine is or isn't doing as long as you are enjoying the ride...at least that is my approach. Good luck!

Grady Brown III
    President & Founder
    For The Love of Laila...and your baby too
    www.ftllm712.com
    Check out the Events page at www.ftllm712.com for upcoming events

We are Riding to save lives!!!

Facebook

Twitter

Spyder Garage

Default Die hard...

Love my V-twin and when it wears out will beef it up...thats me, have riden and driven many vehicles and gotta say a screaming high rpm machine is the sweetest sound there is. Being a wing rider this may be a rougher adjustment as it is for harley riders and as stated by happy owners above the triple is a smooth ryde. If it is not in the cards, there are some good deals out there if you look hard, then I think you will adjust fine and can look forward to upgrading cause the ryde is the same...oh so much fun...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default V-twin

I have had several v-twin motorcycles along with others. I have always been very pleased with them and find them a joy to ride. My 2014 RS v-twin has not disappointed me at all. The 1330 does have more torque and I believe that that is of great enjoyment especially if riding 2 up. I also believe as some others on this post. Get what you are comfortable with and RIDE your.

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default 1330 vs V twin

Thanks for your help.
    If you are coming from a Wing don't waste your money on the V-Twin........you will HATE it......and regret buying your Spyder........Save until you can afford the 1330 model ......any model with the 1330 engine / trans........Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    If you are coming from a Wing don't waste your money on the V-Twin........you will HATE it......and regret buying your Spyder........Save until you can afford the 1330 model ......any model with the 1330 engine / trans........Mike
    Many good points, but this may be the best advise. I'd guess as a Wing rider, toque is something you primarily rode with. It has HP, but most wing owners don't wind it out all the time. That riding style translates to the 1330 drive train; not the 998.

As for me, I'm riding a paidoff 2012 that is close to how I want it setup. The engine is not as capable as the 1330, but it does everything I need it to except get better MPG.

So, would you take a 2012 RTS equipped with farkles + $15K in cash or a 2015 RTS with no farkles?

Jerry
    13 ST Limited F/R suspension, Corbin, GIVI top case

16 Vespa Primavera 150: Stock
    16 Piaggio BV350: Suspension, braking mods in work
    14 HD XL1200T: F/R suspension and brake mods; Corbin saddle and bags
    09 Aprilia SC250: F/R suspension and minor brake mods
    97 Honda PC800: F/R wheels, F/R suspension, and F/R brake Mods; Corbin saddle
    90 CB-1: In work, long term project
    89 Honda NT650: F/R suspension; Corbin saddle

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    Maybe I should give a little more background. I have been riding 50+ years. I started on British singles then twins. I have had Harleys BMW, and some of most everything else. From 1986 until 2011 I have been on Yamaha V4's ,Venture Royales and Royal Stars. That is actually my preferred motorcycle but they are no longer produced and hadn't been up graded for years before their discontinuance. I bought my Goldwing trike because of back to back bad motorcycle accidents,the last one putting my wife and I in the hospital for 9 days.That is when I decided to go to three wheels. The Goldwing I bought because it was available and(relatively)cheap. It has not been my favorite ride. It is supremely competent and reliable even tho 25 years old and taught me that I can enjoy riding still on 3 wheels.I tried the sports car convertible thing but that didn't work. So if I am going to spend what it takes to buy a Venture and then convert it to a trike(or any other motorcycle for that matter) I want some modern features on it. ABS,traction control etc.The 1800 Goldwing is not an option for me,Goldwings are not my cup. So hopefully that will give you a little more insight into me and my riding.

I really appreciate the views from those that are continuing to ride their V Twins. I would love the 1330,not a doubt in my mind,but budget wise it's not in the cards for awhile yet.I have ridden a 2011RT in 2011 .I liked it but thought the revs too high and maybe the engine would be over stressed because of that.Now That it has been around for awhile,how's it doing?

Thank you all for taking the time to write about your experiences.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by spacetiger View Post
    Many good points, but this may be the best advise. I'd guess as a Wing rider, toque is something you primarily rode with. It has HP, but most wing owners don't wind it out all the time. That riding style translates to the 1330 drive train; not the 998.

As for me, I'm riding a paidoff 2012 that is close to how I want it setup. The engine is not as capable as the 1330, but it does everything I need it to except get better MPG.

So, would you take a 2012 RTS equipped with farkles + $15K in cash or a 2015 RTS with no farkles?

Jerry
    I actually do rev the Wing quite high.I ride in 4th unless on the freeway as I think it runs better that way and 5th is called an overdrive. It has seen redline more then once and it also gets terrible gas mileage(25-30).The problem is not having the extra $15K to begin with. I don't mind used, I have only had 2 new bikes in my 50 years of riding.

You all can't tell me which edition to buy I know that. I just need enough information about your experiences to complete my own though processes. Again thanks for your help.

Spyder Garage

Being an x-wing owner(2003) and rider,I'm very glad I held out for the 2014 RTlimited w/the 1330cc motor. The horsepower and torque are roughly the same,but the 1330 motor is pushing approx. 250lbs. more. I test rode the 998cc v-twin and kind of liked it but I'm under the"more is better" syndrom especially since most of my riding is 2-up,soooo alittle extra HP is welcome.The fuel mileage is also much better. Good luck with your decision.
    Last edited by Mad Mac; 04-28-2015 at 07:09 PM.

Spyder Garage

Maybe I should give a little more background. I have been riding 50+ years. I started on British singles then twins. I have had Harleys BMW, and some of most everything else. From 1986 until 2011 I have been on Yamaha V4's ,Venture Royales and Royal Stars. That is actually my preferred motorcycle but they are no longer produced and hadn't been up graded for years before their discontinuance. I bought my Goldwing trike because of back to back bad motorcycle accidents,the last one putting my wife and I in the hospital for 9 days.That is when I decided to go to three wheels. The Goldwing I bought because it was available and(relatively)cheap. It has not been my favorite ride. It is supremely competent and reliable even tho 25 years old and taught me that I can enjoy riding still on 3 wheels.I tried the sports car convertible thing but that didn't work. So if I am going to spend what it takes to buy a Venture and then convert it to a trike(or any other motorcycle for that matter) I want some modern features on it. ABS,traction control etc.The 1800 Goldwing is not an option for me,Goldwings are not my cup. So hopefully that will give you a little more insight into me and my riding.

I really appreciate the views from those that are continuing to ride their V Twins. I would love the 1330,not a doubt in my mind,but budget wise it's not in the cards for awhile yet.I have ridden a 2011RT in 2011 .I liked it but thought the revs too high and maybe the engine would be over stressed because of that.Now That it has been around for awhile,how's it doing?

Thank you all for taking the time to write about your experiences.

I have an ST- Limited with the 998. Revs are high but ok and not worried about reliability. But I am already looking at upgrading to a 1330 in the future. Dont buy a 2015! Save a bunch of cash and get a left over 2014 RT. You will save thousands or there are already some very low mile used 2014's out there 4 sale. You could also wait until fall after the 2016's are available to order and there will be big discounts starting to show up on the left over 15's. I bought my ST at the end of the model year and saved about $5500 off of MSRP.
    Good luck and I hope you make the right choice.
    2016 Spyder F3 Limited Steel Black Metallic
    Lamonster approved LED Headlights
    Lamonsters LED Fog lights
    BRP Driver & Passenger backrest
    BRP Trailer Hitch
    Shamrock Black & Polished
    Signature light
    Elka front shock's
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Dual Power outlets
    Garmin 590 GPS

Spyder Garage

Default 998

I test rode a1330 not overly impressed, my 2011 rt-s is snappy not worried on reliability I drive it like I stole it. Yes the gas mileage isn't the best, 4 th gear 55-6 grand is its sweet spot,
    also it's set up the way I want, now my wife an I were next to a corvette at a stop light he revved his engine so I told the better half to hold on we smoked him you should have seen his face The se5 helped no loss of momentum. The new 1330s don't have the color we want and price tag is up there and another 3k to get it to where mine is now. Came from goldwing, old venture and new style venture and a bmw rt in between, the spyder is a more relaxing ride and I can vouch for the stability control saved my butt. The 998 is still a great platform.

Over 30k miles of smiles.

Cheers

Gary

All I want to do is ride!

Spyder Garage

I actually do rev the Wing quite high.I ride in 4th unless on the freeway as I think it runs better that way and 5th is called an overdrive. It has seen redline more then once and it also gets terrible gas mileage(25-30).The problem is not having the extra $15K to begin with. I don't mind used, I have only had 2 new bikes in my 50 years of riding.

You all can't tell me which edition to buy I know that. I just need enough information about your experiences to complete my own though processes. Again thanks for your help.
    Seek out a well looked after 2011 or 2012 Limited Spyder with the SE transmission. You can plan on spending between $11,000 - $15,000. If it has some upgrades so much the better but I would plan on adding sway bar, shocks, air wings, custom seat, etc. but do it over time and budget accordingly. That way you will make it yours.

The V-Twin loves to rev and is most comfortable around six grand but it doesn't get stressed at seven or eight. Our Spyders rarely see 5th gear as we love the back roads and twisties and 5th is only engaged once we get over 65 mph. You get very positive upshifts with the paddle shifter
    and you don't have to back off the throttle when changing gears. You can downshift manually or let the computer do it.... we do both depending on how we feel.

Our fuel economy runs between 29-31 mpg and much of that is pulling trailers.

Servicing is every 4,600 miles and if you can find the right deal at a Spyder dealership perhaps you can negotiate a service agreement for three years into the deal.
    Penny and Rick have owned many motorcycles starting in 1974 with Honda’s, then to Suzukis, Gold Wings and ultimately Spyders.
    ‘74 Honda 360T (pair); ‘78 Suzuki GS 1000 (pair); ‘’82 Honda Aspencade; ‘84 Honda 400; ‘87 Yamaha 1100; ‘99 Honda Valkyrie; ‘01 Suzuki Burgman(triked); ‘02 Honda GL 1800(triked); ‘10 Spyder RTSE; ‘11 Spyder RTSM; ‘12 Spyder RTSL (pair); ‘20 Spyder RTL (current)

Spyder Garage

If you liked the Yamaha V4, Then you will love the Vtwin. I had an 08 RS Tour Deluxe and know its also a high reving engine. The Vtwin is very comparable.
    2017 F3 Limited
    2017 F3 Limited , Lamonster Black Dymond brake pedal with brake rod at #5 Pure Magnesium Metallic

Spyder Garage

My 2010 RT does just fine. 1330 is smoother yes and run at lower RPM. Money no object, buy a 2015 limited. Money a object ride what you can find in your price range. Only you can decide. My last two wheel ride was a ST1100. Had 08RS in between that and the RT
    Good luck
    Oldamnzues
    Very Happy Spyder Owner

Spyder Garage

My 2013 RTS was just as fast as the 14 RTS I rode more than once... The 1330 is better in just about every measure but if your wallet says pre 14 , don't sweat it cause they are great machines... What the 1330 RT gains in horsepower it more than takes a step back in weight gain... In almost every magazine article that tested the 998 RT back to back w the 1330 RT ,,they thought the 998 was quicker.. I went to an F3s because I love the 1330,, but being TOTALLY honest I wouldn't have switched to a 1330 RT.. Tooooo much weight not enough horsepower gain in my opinion..

Spyder Garage

Default DIFFERENCES

the differences between the 990 V-Twin and the 1330 Triple, is the same difference you'd see between a Yugo and a Z06 Corvette.... the Z06 being the 1330, that is...
    jmho...
    Dan P
    SPYD3R F3-S/SE6 & RS/SE5

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SPYD3R View Post
    the differences between the 990 V-Twin and the 1330 Triple, is the same difference you'd see between a Yugo and a Z06 Corvette.... the Z06 being the 1330, that is...
    jmho...
    Dan P
    SPYD3R F3-S/SE6 & RS/SE5
    Ahmmm, BS
    Love my

Statistics show that most motorcycle accidents are caused by a defective nut holding the handlbars.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

The overall package might be that different though...
    Engine versus engine; I guess that we'll have to wait and see what the quarter mile times and trap speeds are on Friday night...

Are you SpyderFesters listening???
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Heads up will be interesting

Heads up will be interesting for sure. I have ridden bikes both much faster and with more torque than my Spyder but that's not why I purchased it. If so I'd be sadly disappointed Love my Spyder and love to ride it

Buy and ride what's right for you and your situation in your life today and be happy with it. Always going to be something better or faster.
    2014 Spyder RS SM5
    RAM 5.7 HEMI 8 speed 4x4 crew cab