Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default DONE!

OK so final news on this one.....

My Dealer did a great job! After I picked it up Saturday morning and went on the dealer sponsored ride.... I rode it like I stole it to make sure all was good....

Here is just one segment of the ride yesterday. If you want to see more, see my youtube channel.

Oh and "tail of the dragon"? Ha..... Come to California if you want some real roads

I am sure I will get some interesting comments from this video

But I would say my Spyder if fixed!

2011 RT-S SM5 - Black
    Bought June 2013 with 450 miles. 27K on 8-1-2017.
    Farkles - DIY Trunk Break Light, HMT Break Light, DIY Mirror Turn Signal Lights, DIY Bluetooth Dongle, DIY iPod Setup, DIY Alarm System Install, Show Chrome front fender / rear saddle bag lights, 4th break light around the trunk, Vented Windshield, Baja Ron Sway Bar, DIY GPS setup, Smooth Spyder, BRP Chrome Mirrors, Adjustable deflectors, Triaxis handlebars, NVB Pegs, Bad Boy Airhorn... More to come
    2011 RT-S SM5 , Baja Ron Black

Spyder Garage

Great vid. So glad you got it fixed.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

Glad to hear your Spyder is fixed and run well.

Spyder Garage

Me too, is this setscrew problem unique? Anybody else have this happen to them? I've got an SE and gotten used to having to add almost 2 qts between changes don't see any drips anywhere figured it just burns it. Was a little oil bottom of my airbox when I washed my K&N not much really
    2012 RT A&C bought new 42312 sold July 2018 56k miles currently driving a 2014 RTSE6 LTD bought October 2018 w 6800 miles nicely farkled
    2014 RT SE6 LTD , White

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by finless View Post
    The day has come!

See you all on the other side...

Bob
    Anyone else have this happen?
    2012 RT A&C bought new 42312 sold July 2018 56k miles currently driving a 2014 RTSE6 LTD bought October 2018 w 6800 miles nicely farkled
    2014 RT SE6 LTD , White

Spyder Garage

Bob, glad it all worked out well. Tom
    Baloo is my name. Spyders are my game. Well, it's a doo-bah-dee-doo, yes, it's a doo-bah-dee-doo, I mean a doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee-dee-doo. And, well, now. Ha ha! What have we here?

2020 Petrol Blue Metallic RTL

Spyder Garage

Can I just say after all this.... I am a little bummed out

My Spyder has been perfect and I have taken care of it extremely well as far as general maintenance goes.

To have this happen totally bums me out today knowing that I have to see a dealer at 14K.
    I was hoping to never see a dealer ever in the life of me owning my Spyder (Darth). Alas... it's not to be

It's causing me to reflect on owning a Spyder to be honest when a simple set screw can put me down. No car or other vehicle I have ever owned has done this to me. I put 90K miles on a Honda 750-4 in 1970's with not a single issue.

Anyway to try and have some fun about this but still not being happy, I feel like Bob Denman on this day

So now it's time for me too to deal with a dealer.

After Darth is fixed, if I ever have another BS problem like this I think I will be done with Can-Am / BRP products.

Not being harsh but I like being happy with my ride!

If I am not, then how can someone enjoy a ride that brings grief like this?...

I love my Spyder don't get me wrong! But having something as a simple set screw take me out, in my opinion, is not cool. It makes me think this is not going to be a reliable product for the long run

I am hoping after this is fixed, I don't have any more issues for miles to come.

Bob
    OK Bob chill, if you had not put the magnetic oil plugs in, the set screw would never have been detected, and you would have driven it in a stste of bliss until you rode the F3 and traded yours in for a new bike

Spyder Garage

OK so final news on this one.....

My Dealer did a great job! After I picked it up Saturday morning and went on the dealer sponsored ride.... I rode it like I stole it to make sure all was good....

Here is just one segment of the ride yesterday. If you want to see more, see my youtube channel.

Oh and "tail of the dragon"? Ha..... Come to California if you want some real roads

I am sure I will get some interesting comments from this video

But I would say my Spyder if fixed!

You are right about California roads
    Where I live there are a few passes that are steep, winding, and if you miss a turn its a 500 to 1,000 ft. drop
    just a few:
    Tioga Pass [10,000 ft.] to Yosemite national park
    Sonora Pass [10,000 ft.] to the central valley
    Monitor Pass [9,000ft.] to Lake Tahoe
    and more
    Don
    Now 2014 RT Limited Cognac
    Was 2008 GS SM5

Don Garbarino

Cup Holder
    GPS locking holder
    Mud flap
    Modified KNOTT grill
    Phone holder and charger
    Trailer hitch
    Dual air horn
    Auxiliary fuse box with relays
    Heated clothing controller
    volt/oil pressure gauge
    Sequential signals in mirror
    Tri Axis Handle bars
    Baja Ron anti sway bar/heim links
    shorty antenna
    And many more

Spyder Garage

Seems this comes up a lot. BRP revised the service schedule for 2008-2012 Spyders. They did this in 2012!!!

Now the schedule is every 4600 miles. When BRP first released this schedule it said EXCEPT California. But a later memo did not exclude California!

Bob
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't the 'new' maintenance schedule require you to get the 'upgraded' oil filter setup?

I never did it because I have a few of the regular filters laying around.... and I ride pretty hard so I don't mind changing oil every 3,000... which I often stretch to 3,500 ish....

Spyder #1 - 2008 GS SM5 Premier Edition #1977. RIP after 80,000 miles.
    Spyder #2 - 2012 RT SM5. Traded in after 24,000 miles.
    Spyder #3 - 2015 F3 SM6. Put 13,000 miles on and sold it.
    Spyder #4 - 2017 F3 SM6. Too good of a deal to pass up!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't the 'new' maintenance schedule require you to get the 'upgraded' oil filter setup?

I never did it because I have a few of the regular filters laying around.... and I ride pretty hard so I don't mind changing oil every 3,000... which I often stretch to 3,500 ish....
    Mine is a SM5 so I do not have the tranny oil filter.

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black
    Farkles - DIY Trunk Break Light, HMT Break Light, DIY Mirror Turn Signal Lights, DIY Bluetooth Dongle, DIY iPod Setup, DIY Alarm System Install, Show Chrome front fender / rear saddle bag lights, 4th break light around the trunk, Vented Windshield, Baja Ron Sway Bar, DIY GPS setup, Smooth Spyder, BRP Chrome Mirrors, Adjustable deflectors, Triaxis handlebars, NVB Pegs, Bad Boy Airhorn... More to come

Spyder Garage

Mine is a SM5 so I do not have the tranny oil filter.

Bob
    Mine is an SM5 as well.
    I'm talking about the upgraded oil filter that BRP came out with that requires a different cap. That was how they were increasing the timeframe between oil changes if memory serves.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
    Mine is an SM5 as well.
    I'm talking about the upgraded oil filter that BRP came out with that requires a different cap. That was how they were increasing the timeframe between oil changes if memory serves.
    I thought that was for the HCM filter (tranny) not the main engine filter. SE5's have 2 filters. SM5's do not.

I will see if I still have the service bulletin and make sure but pretty sure they increased the size of the tranny filer not the main. Double checking now.

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black

Spyder Garage

OK so it is the tranny filter and cap for the SE5.

They did change the part number of the engine oil filter (a material change) but they did not change the size and the engine cover cap.

As you can see in this post by Lamont, the new larger filter and cap is for the HCM (tranny).

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...or-ALL-Spyders

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black

Spyder Garage

OK so it is the tranny filter and cap for the SE5.

They did change the part number of the engine oil filter (a material change) but they did not change the size and the engine cover cap.

As you can see in this post by Lamont, the new larger filter and cap is for the HCM (tranny).

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...or-ALL-Spyders

Bob
    Okay... I knew there was some new cap for a filter. So it seems you can just swap to the new engine filter then if you want longer periods between oil changes.. if you're on an SM5 like you and I. I'll have to use up my stock of 'old' filters before making the change.

Spyder Garage

I get my filters from Baja Ron and he said they support this extended duration.

Been using them after my first 600 mile service.

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black

Spyder Garage

Default Set Screw 2011 RTS SE-5 .

Just found set Screw on my plug at my service at LaMonster Garage today June 1st 2018. Hate to think of the bill on this one.
    2011 RTS , Web Board Orbital Blue

Spyder Garage

Default Set Screw

Found mine on the magnet 10,000 miles ago, still working fine.(also a 2011 RT) Did not see the need to tear it down for just for that plug. Do you feel lucky?

Spyder Garage

It's a oil pass block off screw and it needs to be fixed. It greatly lowers the oil pressure to parts of the engine.
    Don't get it fixed and you are risking your engine or at least reducing it's life.
    Also, when mine did this I started seeing a lot of oil on the top of the crank case behind the #2 cylinder because it caused a leak at the engine seal. If you look at the picture you will see it will squirt high pressure oil right at the gasket seal of the clutch case.

Personally, I would have your dealer call BRP and see if this can get done even out of warranty. IT'S A KNOWN FAULT!

Good luck!

Bob
    Last edited by finless; 06-02-2018 at 10:32 AM.
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JerryS View Post
    Just found set Screw on my plug at my service at LaMonster Garage today June 1st 2018. Hate to think of the bill on this one.
    Are they going to fix it? Sorry to hear you had this happen.

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black

Spyder Garage

Default Set Screw

My dealer did not give me the option to have BRP warranty the job and that was 4 years ago. I will roll the dice! Last I checked it did not look like oil was pushing through in that area.

Spyder Garage

Thanks! I hope too!

Here is how many were at the ride last year. I expect it will be more this year. If I breakdown, pretty sure all will be OK

that is a ***** load of spyders.
    2018 RTL , dark blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by speedycoop View Post
    My dealer did not give me the option to have BRP warranty the job and that was 4 years ago. I will roll the dice! Last I checked it did not look like oil was pushing through in that area.
    4 years ago you should have been covered under the standard BRP warranty...

Well, your Spyder will be a case study... I hope you ride it a lot....

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black

Spyder Garage

Default Oil galley plug

I have a couple of two wheel bikes I ride when I am by myself. The RT get used when the wife and I go on overnight or local day rides. I plan on keeping the RT for the long run so if any thing changes or happens I will report back.

Chuck

Spyder Garage

That is exactly the same thing that I found during my oil change attached to the oil drain plug. Looks like this is more common than I would consider normal for the inside of an engine. Very sad to see this. My trike is too old to be under any warranty so I hope this does not mean that oher parts inside the engine will be falling appart until the engine fails completely.

Spyder Garage

Sorry to hear about this "Set screw problem". I was hopping that the one I found this week after the 5000 oil change was just a fluke during manufacturing and not a regular occurrance in these motors. I am not sure if BRP recognized the problem and is authorizing the dealers to fix the problem or if they are washing their hands and telling the owners good luck with your problem???? Any suggestions are appreciated. (Mine is a 2011 RTStandard.) with only 5000 miles on it. I am the second owner and I put 2K miles in it since we purchased 6 weeks ago.