Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Yup! That's a real nice color...
    Those plugs would be OK from a carburated bike from the 80's. But from a current generation water cooled fuel injection that's a bit too dark for my taste.
    I'll look on my bench for some used V-twin plugs with 30K on the and try to post.

Spyder Garage

FYI the right plug looks exactly like the left, it's just the picture as I used a flash from my iPhone.
    Considering others that have pulled plugs and the pictures I have seen. Mine is running way better than theirs. But yes the fuel mapping on the 2011 is higher than 2013 and up. I am not doing any custom commander stuff sorry. It's staying stock.
    Also another top notch dealer Mech (Shawn Smoak) saw my plugs and thinks I am running just fine.

As for the set screw falling out and trailering it. Seems the BRP bulletin just says "if you find that on an oil change" to do the procedure. Considering the only way to know this happened is on a oil change, I am going to ride it to the dealer. For sure I already put miles on it with this missing, another 25 miles I doubt is going to make much difference.

I also plan to call BRP about it Monday AM for advise.

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black
    Bought June 2013 with 450 miles. 27K on 8-1-2017.
    Farkles - DIY Trunk Break Light, HMT Break Light, DIY Mirror Turn Signal Lights, DIY Bluetooth Dongle, DIY iPod Setup, DIY Alarm System Install, Show Chrome front fender / rear saddle bag lights, 4th break light around the trunk, Vented Windshield, Baja Ron Sway Bar, DIY GPS setup, Smooth Spyder, BRP Chrome Mirrors, Adjustable deflectors, Triaxis handlebars, NVB Pegs, Bad Boy Airhorn... More to come
    2011 RT-S SM5 , Baja Ron Black

Spyder Garage

Here is a better picture of the plugs under good lighting.

I will admit even this photo shows the right plug in my hand as more fouled but with your eyes they look almost the same. So the iPhone camera seems to make things worse than they look to the naked eye.

Bob
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black
    Farkles - DIY Trunk Break Light, HMT Break Light, DIY Mirror Turn Signal Lights, DIY Bluetooth Dongle, DIY iPod Setup, DIY Alarm System Install, Show Chrome front fender / rear saddle bag lights, 4th break light around the trunk, Vented Windshield, Baja Ron Sway Bar, DIY GPS setup, Smooth Spyder, BRP Chrome Mirrors, Adjustable deflectors, Triaxis handlebars, NVB Pegs, Bad Boy Airhorn... More to come

Spyder Garage

And yes folks... those cuts (actually they are scratches just look worse than they are) on my hand are from trying to get the freaking air box out!

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis in Lodi View Post
    I would also ask to inspect under this cover myself for any signs of damage before they put it back together. I have been around blown racing cycle motors for 40 plus years, this is a real concern
    Best of luck
    Inspect for what? That they put the screw back in?

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Those plugs look fine Bob. They are a touch on the rich side for sure but it's not dirty rich. Also, the bit of extra fuel helps these motors run a bit cooler. I wouldn't touch ANYTHING in regards to the tuning.

Keep us posted on how it all plays out with the set screw!

Spyder Garage

OK did some research on the lubrication circuit.

No worry about cylinder lubrication. A little worry about the countershaft.

Also Shawn chatted to me about this and his comment was:

looks as though the top-end is being fed first. The oil is entering the top of the oil duct cover and going down to feed the countershaft. With the screw missing, it could lowering the overall oil pressure.
    Also this was not a service bulletin but just a post on BOSSweb which is BRP's dealer forum.

I thank Lamont to the bottom of my heart for helping identify this issue as he spent the time to go on the BRP forum and find it!!!!

THANK YOU Lamont!

lube_lh.jpg

lube_rh.jpg

Bob
    Last edited by finless; 04-26-2015 at 03:10 PM.
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black

Spyder Garage

Default Bummed out

Can I just say after all this.... I am a little bummed out

My Spyder has been perfect and I have taken care of it extremely well as far as general maintenance goes.

To have this happen totally bums me out today knowing that I have to see a dealer at 14K.
    I was hoping to never see a dealer ever in the life of me owning my Spyder (Darth). Alas... it's not to be

It's causing me to reflect on owning a Spyder to be honest when a simple set screw can put me down. No car or other vehicle I have ever owned has done this to me. I put 90K miles on a Honda 750-4 in 1970's with not a single issue.

Anyway to try and have some fun about this but still not being happy, I feel like Bob Denman on this day

So now it's time for me too to deal with a dealer.

After Darth is fixed, if I ever have another BS problem like this I think I will be done with Can-Am / BRP products.

Not being harsh but I like being happy with my ride!

If I am not, then how can someone enjoy a ride that brings grief like this?...

I love my Spyder don't get me wrong! But having something as a simple set screw take me out, in my opinion, is not cool. It makes me think this is not going to be a reliable product for the long run

I am hoping after this is fixed, I don't have any more issues for miles to come.

Bob
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by finless; 04-26-2015 at 08:18 PM.
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black

Spyder Garage

Stay calm and optimist Bob. The dealer will do the repair and your next ride will be the best you ever done.

Remember, nothing goes wrong with your Spyder before you find that set screw on the magnet. I have the same feeling about my Spyder 3 months after I purchase my 2010 bike. An oil leak at the water pump seal made me down for 2-3 months. Since, and after 85000 kilometers without any trouble, I am very very happy with my Spyder. Next year, a new 2016 RTS is already on the Santa Claus list.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by tigerdr View Post
    Stay calm and optimist Bob. The dealer will do the repair and your next ride will be the best you ever done.

Remember, nothing goes wrong with your Spyder before you find that set screw on the magnet. I have the same feeling about my Spyder 3 months after I purchase my 2010 bike. An oil leak at the water pump seal made me down for 2-3 months. Since, and after 85000 kilometers without any trouble, I am very very happy with my Spyder. Next year, a new 2016 RTS is already on the Santa Claus list.
    No offense but if I was down for 2-3 months, that would be it for me period.

Thanks for the upbeat confidence. I will try to stay in there.

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black

Spyder Garage

Default Gotta bounce back

Having read a number of you post, you rather capable person , just roll with the punches & bounce back Learn from it and share with us please.
    thx
    b
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by finless View Post
    Also this was not a service bulletin but just a post on BOSSweb which is BRP's dealer forum.

I thank Lamont to the bottom of my heart for helping identify this issue as he spent the time to go on the BRP forum and find it!!!!

THANK YOU Lamont!

Bob
    I'm sorry you had this problem but don't let it sour you on the Spyder, things built by humans fail sometimes and guys like us find it as a challenge. I do agree that this is a job best left for the dealer seeing it's covered anyway. Glad I was able to point you in the right direction.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

[QUOTE=finless;967707]
    Anyway to try and have some fun about this but still not being happy, I feel like Bob Denman on this day

HEY!! I resemble that remark!!
    Seriously; if your bike has been this good for this long... Don't get ready to leave Town just because ONE Bear pooped in your petunias!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Hopefully they get you in and out quick. I'm thinkin I may should dive in and check mine and do the loctite 'just in case'. Seems our BRP friends should put a service bulletin out to do just that if it's happened more than once, which it apparently has.

FOD running through the engine on it's way to the sump can do bad things...
    Eric
    YNC(SS) (Retired) - U. S. Navy Submarines
    2014 RT-S Cognac
    3 seadoo's,CBR250R, Suzi GT750 waterbuffalo's x4, Rebel 250, MB5, '84 Alfa Spider, '97 Jeep TJ, '93 Saab C900CVT, '99 SLK230, '65 Mustang, '59 Fairlane, '48 Ford 8n

Spyder Garage

Well it's going in tomorrow AM. Talked to the dealer today.
    One thing that alarmed me so far is the service writer was quoting to me pre-2012 service schedule!!! e.g. 3,000 mile oil changes etc. I corrected him and said your talking about the old service schedule! I said BRP changed that in 2012.... He then corrected himself....

Hmmmmm I did not find that too good...

Good thing is when I talked to the Mech, he knew what I was talking about. The Mech at this dealer comes reccomended so I am going to forget the service writers education level and trust the Mech.

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Glad to hear that the plan is coming together...
    Please let us know the outcome; Good Luck!!

Spyder Garage

Well I feel for you

Just joined the three wheel group in Nov.

Such an awesome running, feeling machine---

But Since bout 1973 most all my machines & there have been many & variety of brands
    Last 17 years even HD with only one issue (top dead center sensor) Road king

Still have high hopes that our se6 is a gem
    Any way we do feel for ya

Hope they would tell me if that showed up on oil change ---

I switch back & forth normaly on doing service on machines
    3k first service due in 400 mi---

Spyder Garage

Default Slightly off topic..i

Bob, You state that you're doing your 14k maintenance. Aren't you in California and have a '11? Doesn't that put your scheduled maintenance at 12k? I'm also in Cali and want to ensure that I'm not missing something...
    Thanks!
    ~'12 RT Limited, Pearl White~
    BajaRon Anti-sway Bar
    Squared Away Laser Alignment
    Custom Dynamics HMT Brake Light, Front Fender Tips & Kit, Front Mud Flap LEDs, Amber & Red Brightsides, Tri-color Magicflex Channelz
    Lidlox Grip Tip Helmet Locks
    TricLED Mirror Signals, RGB Multi-color Halo Underground Effects Kit, LED Headlights
    Palmer Signs Custom "Captain America" frunk graphics
    Twisted Chrome Pinstripes
    Overland Australian Sheepskin Seat Cover

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NorCalBud View Post
    Bob, You state that you're doing your 14k maintenance. Aren't you in California and have a '11? Doesn't that put your scheduled maintenance at 12k? I'm also in Cali and want to ensure that I'm not missing something...
    Thanks!
    Seems this comes up a lot. BRP revised the service schedule for 2008-2012 Spyders. They did this in 2012!!!

Now the schedule is every 4600 miles. When BRP first released this schedule it said EXCEPT California. But a later memo did not exclude California!

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black

Spyder Garage

Sniff, sniff...

Darth is at the dealer now. Now awaiting how long it will take based on any possible parts they do not have and will need to order....

NorCalBud, I did chat with Niles at Bert's about the service schedule. They are going to confirm the Ca. thing. Either way if Ca. is excluded, it's because of Ca. EPA reasons not because there is a strange vortex in Ca. causing service schedules to be different

FYI if you want the Service Bulletin that went to dealers AND the letter that went to users/customers. Here is a ZIP containing both.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B9B...ew?usp=sharing

Bob
    Last edited by finless; 04-28-2015 at 02:06 PM.
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Hang in there...

I feel your pain.

Try sleeping later, watching more reality shows, and NOT calling the dealer every seventeen minutes for updates...

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Hang in there...

I feel your pain.

Try sleeping later, watching more reality shows, and NOT calling the dealer every seventeen minutes for updates...
    Boy I sure wanted to call them yesterday afternoon for a status, but I refrained

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by finless View Post
    Boy I sure wanted to call them yesterday afternoon for a status, but I refrained

Bob
    It's hard to let someone else work on it. It will likely have a good outcome. Then you start to imagine bad scenarios happening like the job being assigned to the new apprentice they hired last week.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Very Active Member Roadster Renovations's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Hang in there, Bob!

Spyder Garage

Bob,
    This really sucks, and I feel for you. But on the positive side with all the gears in there, you are lucky the screw did not wedge between the gears and cause major damage. Keep the faith, Take Care.
    2015 RTL , Red