Spyder Garage

Default Original 8 years old battery dead! Will this one work?

Hello everyone,

The now 8 years old battery (YUASA) is completely dead in my 2014 Spyder RT Limited (Checked and confirmed). OEM battery replacement is not available for another 2-3 weeks. Consequently, I found this Canadian Tire Motormaster Eliminator Battery which I believe would fit and work in my 2014 RT.

I was wondering if someone would review these specs to make sure I am not mistaken:

Web Page Link: https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/m...-0271566p.html

MOTOMASTER ELIMINATOR AGM Factory Activated Powersports Battery comes factory filled, sealed and charged - just install and ride
    Premium AGM technology provides high cranking power, performance and durability
    Ideal for Motorcycles, All Terrain Vehicles (ATV), Utility Vehicles (UTV), Snowmobiles and Personal Watercrafts (PWC).
    Use the car parts selector to find the battery for your vehicle
    Longer life and faster recharge time when compared to conventional flooded batteries
    Sealed and spill-proof – does not require fluid top-ups and no messy or dangerous acid spills
    Maintenance free - Never requires filling of acid or water
    Extra vibration resistant to withstand one of the leading causes of battery failure
    Low-self discharge rate ideal for seasonal use
    Replacement for CTX18L (FA)

Specifications - Volts - 12 ; Amp Hour Capacity (10 hr) - 20 ; Cold Cranking Amps - 340 ; Weight (lbs) - 18
    Dimensions: 8-1/16" L x 3-9/16" W x 6-3/8" H (205 x 90 x 162 mm)[/B]

Thank you very much!
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 09-05-2022 at 05:55 PM. Reason: Expanded Title to briefly ask the question ;-)

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Max LTD, You obviously have and know how to use your computer ..... go to the Yuasa Battery site and compare the dimensions with the battery you are looking at ..... good luck ... Mike
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 09-05-2022 at 05:57 PM. Reason: Fixed quote display

Spyder Garage

Good day Mike,

I definitely checked the dimensions which are the same but I am more worried about the AMPS specs. Cranking Amps of the OEM battery is 350 and this one is 340. Should I worry ? Thanks, much appreciated !

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Max LTD View Post
    Good day Mike,

I definitely checked the dimensions which are the same but I am more worried about the AMPS specs. Cranking Amps of the OEM battery is 350 and this one is 340. Should I worry ? Thanks, much appreciated !
    10 amps .... this wouldn't bother me. IMHO there aren't a lot of Battery Manufacturer's ..... lots of different sellers / marketers who put their own Labels on them ..... Mike
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 09-05-2022 at 05:57 PM. Reason: Fixed quote display + aren't %-)

Spyder Garage

Default Thanks

Thank you very much Mike. Have a great day!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 09-05-2022 at 05:58 PM. Reason: ' '

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Checked for Interstate Batteries in Cold Lake. Found one. Interstate where I live told me their AGM batteries for motorcycles were made for Interstate by Yuasa. Good luck.

Spyder Garage

There are not near the number of battery manufacturers as there are different brand names on batteries. The same batteries from the same manufacturer may be sold as different brands. It's all marketing hype. And I believe some of those brands alter and under rate some of the specs in order to be on the safe side of disclosure. Eight years is a good life for a motorcycle battery. I'd install the replacement you found and not give it another thought..... Jim
    2005 Windveil Blue Premium Mustang Convertible
    2008 Honda GL1800/California Sidecar Trike, SOLD
    2014 Platinum Silver Satin Spyder RTL, SOLD
    Semper Fi

Spyder Garage

A few years ago I got a Motorbatt from Lamonster, it still working fine for me!!! Think he still has them on his web page!
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey View Post
    A few years ago I got a Motorbatt from Lamonster, it still working fine for me!!! Think he still has them on his web page!
    I too bought the Motorbatt Battery from Lamonster Garage in March 2021 to replace the OEM, works great no problems with this battery.
    2017 RTL Asphalt Grey Metallic Chrome
    2017 RTL , Asphalt Grey Mettalic

Spyder Garage

The Spyder battery is the same as that used in my '85 1200 Gold Wing. Have just installed a lithium-ion LifePo4 battery from Alberta Lithium in my 1200 - still have a good spare Yuasa as backup, company is in your neck of the woods. $20.00 more than a Yuasa battery. Look them up on line, give a call. Answered all my questions. Was concerned about cold weather, but these are used in snowmobiles/ATVs in your climate.

Takes some 10 pounds off the front of the Spyder. Need a different battery tender that works with the LifePo4 battery. Had the Mrs pick up the lithium-ion battery with one hand, she could not do the same with the Yuasa battery.

Good luck.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 09-06-2022 at 01:30 PM. Reason: hadn't - hand %-)
    "When Writing the Story of Your Life, Don’t Let Anyone Else Hold the Pen"
    "Too many of us are not living our dreams because we are living our fears.” – Les Brown

2014 Can-Am Spyder RT LE
    1985 Honda GL1200 Goldwing Limited Edition

Ernest