Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default VSS unit gives up.

Hi,All spyder lovers.
    Thought I might put down my thoughts over my last 8 months as a spyder rider in the UK.
    Last year I purchased a 2010 Rt and apart from trying to familiarize myself with the riding techniques and enjoy the transition from two wheels to three, I have reluctantly returned the vehicle back to our one and only dealer in the UK. ( One and only as far as I know)
    I believe that there are approx 800 spyders running around over here in the UK and it's a shame that there is not more back up from BRP in this country by way of more dealers. The reason for returning the machine back to the dealer was failure of the VSS unit and all kinds of fault codes showing up. Mileage 5300.approx.
    I was told by my dealer after he had checked the bike out that a replacement for the unit was approx £1600 (ten to twelve weeks back order) and fitting would be somewhere in the region of £400. Then as it's at the dealers, might as well consider a service and possibly some new pads etc. Can't really afford to shell out that sort of money.Not likely to have much change out of £2500!
    And as for hanging on to the bike for a few weeks and riding home in limp mode (60mile trip) and not using it for 12 weeks or so...well, I just didn't think it was worth it considering the initial price. More money on top of more money.
    So I decided to return the bike to the dealer with the work outstanding who allowed me a reasonable allowance back on the bike.
    So,a big lesson learnt here, make sure you have very deep pockets when being the custodian of a Spyder! This will be probably be my last bike as I am fast approaching 80 years old. (Unless I dabble with an MP3!) Safe and happy riding everyone.

Spyder Garage

Sorry to hear about your problems & cost for repairs. Maybe trade to a different spyder would work for you. At 80 you are just getting started to ride a spyder. Good luck & I hope something works out for you.

Spyder Garage

Default Sorry to hear..!!

Not knowing much of the whole picture it is hard to own these machines abroad as they are not well represented (dealerships and techs) and very hi-tech. Here, even though we have many, we have similar problems in some areas. Stocking parts has been an issue from the start. I think they only make enough to build them and if you need a part they need to take one apart to get it to you.. we have found other suppliers. Hope you did enjoy your time with it and all the best to you..keep enjoying life..
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Sorry to hear that the 2010 did not work out for you. High maintenance cost and high repair costs are a common thread that runs through here.

The new 1330 ACE engine requires less maintenance overall, but it still is not cheap.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Cool

There are two Can-Am main dealers in England which are a couple of hours apart.
    I'm not sure which one the OP is referring to.
    Bottom line:
    Anything can go wrong.
    The more complex it is then the likelihood of a failure gets greater, as does the cost of repair.
    For a hi-tech piece of kit the Spyder is, in the vast majority of cases, very reliable.
    However, if the bike suffers a significant failure as in the above case then it's gonna hurt!
    We can't at the moment get any extended warranties here in the UK as far as I know.
    I had to very carefully consider my own financial position before buying the F3-S.

Spyder Garage

It is a shame that you have to give up your Spyder. You take a chance whenever purchasing a pre owned vehicle. In most cases you don't know the history. We all take a chance with our Spyders due to the low availability of dealer support and parts.

USAF '69-'89 E7
    Thailand/Vietnam 1972
    Member: Royal Order of Rat Bastards

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by WO1 SHARPE View Post
    Hi,All spyder lovers.
    Thought I might put down my thoughts over my last 8 months as a spyder rider in the UK.
    Last year I purchased a 2010 Rt and apart from trying to familiarize myself with the riding techniques and enjoy the transition from two wheels to three, I have reluctantly returned the vehicle back to our one and only dealer in the UK. ( One and only as far as I know)
    I believe that there are approx 800 spyders running around over here in the UK and it's a shame that there is not more back up from BRP in this country by way of more dealers. The reason for returning the machine back to the dealer was failure of the VSS unit and all kinds of fault codes showing up. Mileage 5300.approx.
    I was told by my dealer after he had checked the bike out that a replacement for the unit was approx £1600 (ten to twelve weeks back order) and fitting would be somewhere in the region of £400. Then as it's at the dealers, might as well consider a service and possibly some new pads etc. Can't really afford to shell out that sort of money.Not likely to have much change out of £2500!
    And as for hanging on to the bike for a few weeks and riding home in limp mode (60mile trip) and not using it for 12 weeks or so...well, I just didn't think it was worth it considering the initial price. More money on top of more money.
    So I decided to return the bike to the dealer with the work outstanding who allowed me a reasonable allowance back on the bike.
    So,a big lesson learnt here, make sure you have very deep pockets when being the custodian of a Spyder! This will be probably be my last bike as I am fast approaching 80 years old. (Unless I dabble with an MP3!) Safe and happy riding everyone.
    Before you do anything have the battery checked. If it's the original battery, 5 years is old for a battery. Make sure the connections are clean and thigh. Check your charging system. Low voltage can cause all kinds errors. I hope this helps and good luck.

Mike