Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Question Is there any interaction between the stereo system and GPS?

Im still new to this and cant quite figure out what or how the two work together. The GPS has bluetooth. It has voice commands that I cant hear over the speakers, ect. I would love to have my GPS, Galaxy note 4, and stereo work together on my ST LTD. As far as I can see, The GPS is stand alone and just had a mount with a power adapter. If so then why does it need 18 points of contact on the electrical connection?
    Im going to lead a church ride this Saturday to Edom Tx and already figured out how to make a route using Basecamp. we took a dry run last Sunday and I need to just keep my eye on the screen to see where Im going. ( That Basecamp software is a nightmare BTW)
    It would be nice to be able to have my phone on a mount and use it. The screen on my phone is bigger then the Garmin 660.
    Last edited by AY4B; 04-22-2015 at 10:15 AM.
    2017 F3 Limited , Lamonster Black Dymond brake pedal with brake rod at #5 Pure Magnesium Metallic

Spyder Garage

I did figure out how to connect my phone to the connection in the frunk and the music comes in much clearer than the regular radio stations. I like to use the Milk app for music. Its free and part of my phone (better than XM radio in my opinion as long as you are getting a good signal) but I cant change channels if its in the frunk.
    2017 F3 Limited , Lamonster Black Dymond brake pedal with brake rod at #5 Pure Magnesium Metallic

Spyder Garage

The best thing I can think of is if I get a wire adapter to go from the frunk connection adapter to the earphone adapter on the Garmin. Then I can use the bluetooth to stream music to the stereo. Is that how you all are doing it and how can you route that wire to the frunk?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by AY4B View Post
    The best thing I can think of is if I get a wire adapter to go from the frunk connection adapter to the earphone adapter on the Garmin. Then I can use the bluetooth to stream music to the stereo. Is that how you all are doing it and how can you route that wire to the frunk?
    That seems like a lot to do for something that should have been thought out long ago back at the drawing board.

Spyder Garage

When the GPS has something to say it mutes the radio and the turn by turn directions come out of the speakers. If it does not do this get it fixed under warranty.

In regard to your other questions the options are many. Yes you can hardwire one device to the port in the trunk as you found out. You can custom fabricate an extension cord to wherever you want to mount the device. It would likely be cheaper to get a BT receiver and plug it into the trunk and pair your device to it.

Another popular way of doing things is to get a BT headset in your helmet and not use the Spyder speakers at all.

Do some searches on this site on how folks have done things and when you settle on what you want, lots of folk will be happy to tell you how to get there.
    Last edited by billybovine; 04-22-2015 at 11:07 AM.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

If you are not getting GPS direction sound from your speakers, make sure you have all the GPS volume settings at 100%.
    2014 Timeless Black RTS/SE - BRP CB/Comm System; BRP Zumo 660 GPS System; BRP Cellphone Interface; BRP ST-1 Helmets w/BRP Headsets; BRP XM Radio; BRP Tri-Axis Handlebars; BRP Adj Wind Deflectors; BRP Adj Vent Windshield; BRP Comfort Seat & Utopia Backrest; Corbin Armrests; HMT Brake Light; TricLED 3/4 Brake & Running Lights; TricLED Fender Lights & Rr Cargo Lights; CD Fender TIPS Kit; Bump Skid; Scorpio i900 Alarm; Touratech GPS Locking Mount; NBV Highway Mounts; BBP Brake Pedal, Stebel horn.

Spyder Garage

Make sure you have the volume turned up on the GPS itself and not muted. The GPS will send its audio out into the bikes audio system when needed.

Spyder Garage

Thanks, Ill have to check those things out. most of the time I have the sound system turned off. Ill have to try it later though, We are having rain now and possible severe weather the next few days. My wife bought a new Harley last week, so I guess I can have the Spyder all to myself now.

Spyder Garage

BTW I orderd a BahaRon Sway bar -w- H links last night. He had it shipped this morning. Thanks Ron! It would be nice if I could get it on before the ride on Saturday, but then Id probably leave all those 2 wheelers in the dust.

Spyder Garage

Question-- do you have to have the radio on, can it be on Accesory with nothing connected so I can just get the Nav directions on the speakers?

Spyder Garage

What if you plugged this into the cord in the trunk and then steamed audio with your phone through bluetooth. http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B006IJJH7O?psc=1
    2017 Chevrolet Camaro SS convertible. 2017 GMC Sierra cc diesel. 2017 Arctic cat RR 137 ES

Spyder Garage

Question-- do you have to have the radio on, can it be on Accesory with nothing connected so I can just get the Nav directions on the speakers?
    Yes
    2014 Timeless Black RTS/SE - BRP CB/Comm System; BRP Zumo 660 GPS System; BRP Cellphone Interface; BRP ST-1 Helmets w/BRP Headsets; BRP XM Radio; BRP Tri-Axis Handlebars; BRP Adj Wind Deflectors; BRP Adj Vent Windshield; BRP Comfort Seat & Utopia Backrest; Corbin Armrests; HMT Brake Light; TricLED 3/4 Brake & Running Lights; TricLED Fender Lights & Rr Cargo Lights; CD Fender TIPS Kit; Bump Skid; Scorpio i900 Alarm; Touratech GPS Locking Mount; NBV Highway Mounts; BBP Brake Pedal, Stebel horn.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ARCTIC View Post
    What if you plugged this into the cord in the trunk and then steamed audio with your phone through bluetooth. http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B006IJJH7O?psc=1
    Wow! That looks like the perfect thing, only I can order the one with the male end so I wont need the patch wire. Thanks!
    I was just now out there playing with the settings and paring it to my phone.

Spyder Garage

Wow! That looks like the perfect thing, only I can order the one with the male end so I wont need the patch wire. Thanks!
    I was just now out there playing with the settings and paring it to my phone.
    The one with a male end is not a receiver, its a transmitter.( I know that sounds kind of bad) I ordered the one you posted. Thanks

Spyder Garage

You can't turn the radio off. It is on when the key is on and the mode button has been pushed. Output from the GPS will override the radio mute and come out the speakers or your helmet headset depending on the setup you have.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

The only time I actually used the gps to navigate anywhere was last Sunday when I tried the dry run of my ride . Nothing ever came from the speakers. I checked a little while ago and all the volume levels are at 100%.
    2017 F3 Limited

Spyder Garage

The only time I actually used the gps to navigate anywhere was last Sunday when I tried the dry run of my ride . Nothing ever came from the speakers. I checked a little while ago and all the volume levels are at 100%.
    If it's new I would advise that the dealer check it out.

That said if you wish to trouble shoot it yourself, the audio cable may not be plugged in. The connector is located on the right side, near the rear of the fuel tank.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

I Just took it out and set the gps to go to the local Spyder dealer here in Greenville. I worked fine. Came on the speakers just like its supposed to. While I was there, I picked up a scala rider kit. Between that and that bluetooth dongle, I will be able to use the speakers or the headset.
    Last edited by AY4B; 04-22-2015 at 05:49 PM.
    2017 F3 Limited

Spyder Garage

I Just took it out and set the gps to go to the local Spyder dealer here in Greenville. I worked fine. Came on the speakers just like its supposed to. While I was there, I picked up a scala rider kit. Between that and that bluetooth dongle, I will be able to use the speakers or the headset.
    Make sure you understand what the BT dongle is! Don't think you can just buy a SM10 and plug it in the port in your trunk.

You will need a special cable that hooks to the radio. The trunk is input only not output.

See the DIY section here for my post about that.

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black
    Bought June 2013 with 450 miles. 27K on 8-1-2017.
    Farkles - DIY Trunk Break Light, HMT Break Light, DIY Mirror Turn Signal Lights, DIY Bluetooth Dongle, DIY iPod Setup, DIY Alarm System Install, Show Chrome front fender / rear saddle bag lights, 4th break light around the trunk, Vented Windshield, Baja Ron Sway Bar, DIY GPS setup, Smooth Spyder, BRP Chrome Mirrors, Adjustable deflectors, Triaxis handlebars, NVB Pegs, Bad Boy Airhorn... More to come
    2011 RT-S SM5 , Baja Ron Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by finless View Post
    Make sure you understand what the BT dongle is! Don't think you can just buy a SM10 and plug it in the port in your trunk.

You will need a special cable that hooks to the radio. The trunk is input only not output.

Bob
    Thats what the guy in the parts department was trying to explain to me without much success. can you give me a link? I tried to look for the post and was unsuccessful.
    2017 F3 Limited

Spyder Garage

Thats what the guy in the parts department was trying to explain to me without much success. can you give me a link? I tried to look for the post and was unsuccessful.
    http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...our-own-Dongle!

Feel free to contact me and I will make sure you understand everything I know.

I am planning to do a video explaining the entire Spyder RT's audio system and options. I just not have got around to it yet but it's on my list!

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black
    Bought June 2013 with 450 miles. 27K on 8-1-2017.
    Farkles - DIY Trunk Break Light, HMT Break Light, DIY Mirror Turn Signal Lights, DIY Bluetooth Dongle, DIY iPod Setup, DIY Alarm System Install, Show Chrome front fender / rear saddle bag lights, 4th break light around the trunk, Vented Windshield, Baja Ron Sway Bar, DIY GPS setup, Smooth Spyder, BRP Chrome Mirrors, Adjustable deflectors, Triaxis handlebars, NVB Pegs, Bad Boy Airhorn... More to come
    2011 RT-S SM5 , Baja Ron Black

Spyder Garage

I dislike the archaic sound system on the machine

Love pretty much everything else about it

Having said that I prefer bluetooth with rechargable battery & fm output
    Put it in the glovebox,phone on handlebars & run maps, Internet radio etc via spyder fm radio

Control everything off phone

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by finless View Post

Bob
    After watching your video, I dont think you understand what Im trying to do. All I want is a way to play whatever I want my cell phone to put out. Mainly music. I dont care to have an output, only an input. I establish a wireless connection with the dongle and it relays it to the axillary input to play out of the speakers. If I want it to play on the headset, Ill use the scala rider or in your case sena. The phone is communicating with two things at once. The Radio and the head set. Lets say I get a call while riding. The GPS will display the info on who is calling. I can have the sound turned down or off and have my conversation threw the bluetooth. the GPS also has a connection with the head set. Well thats what I hope will happen. I have yet to put it all in place.
    I was just looking threw the Scala Rider and it needs to be returned. It has 2 different size speakers which tells me someone has gone threw this box .
    2017 F3 Limited

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ARCTIC View Post
    I've had this brand, and I think you will be more happy with it.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/391003352892...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

One of the hardest decisions you'll ever face in life is choosing whether to walk away or try harder.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by pitzerwm View Post
    I've had this brand, and I think you will be more happy with it.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/391003352892...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
    That one does have a more updated bluetooth version. At that price, you cant go wrong. Thanks!
    2017 F3 Limited