Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Just watched the flatbed take her away.

Well, I hate to say it but the fun lasted about 150 miles. Last night I started the bike and I could hear a grinding noise near the bottom of the motor housing. I took a video of it and sent it to my dealer today. They sent it to BRP and they think the cam belt tensioner is bad. So... off she went to the Spyder hospital.

For anyone interested in the noise, here is a link to my One Drive share:

https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resi...nt=video%2cmp4

EDIT: My fellow Spyderlovers... the last thing I wanted to do was make any of you worry. I promise I will update this with every bit of information I get. My F3 was the first delivered from my dealer and I know that the service manager will stay on the case. Especially after I tell him about the responses to this post.

Update 4/23/2015: It looks like there is an engine swap in my future. http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...l=1#post966208

Update 4/28/2015: BRP is doing it right. http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...l=1#post968608

Update 4/29/2015: Progress! http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...l=1#post969138

Update 5/7/2015: The light at the end of the tunnel is NOT a train. http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...l=1#post973149

Update 6/5/2015: It is done... It is over... http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...l=1#post988056

Epilogue 6/20/2015: BRP has extended my extended warranty. http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...l=1#post995145
    Last edited by CanAmChris; 06-20-2015 at 02:29 PM. Reason: Very Last Update...promise

Spyder Garage

Default bummer!

Hope the repair can be done quick. would hate to hear that noise on my RT (same motor)
    2014 Pearl white RTS

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Princeau99 View Post
    Hope the repair can be done quick. would hate to hear that noise on my RT (same motor)
    Thanks, when the transmission blew out on my 2010 RSS, it took 25 days to get the replacement parts. I hope this gets done a bit faster.

I think they build my bikes on drunk Friday at the Can-Am factory. So far I am 2 for 2. At least when the first bike broke, it was in September, not at the beginning of the season like now.

Spyder Garage

That sux.. Hope it's a quick fix!!!

Spyder Garage
    Joy
    Very Happy Ryder...
    '09 Phantom and a '15 F3-S

If you don't slow down, they can't catch you..
    ​If you don't give up, they can't win.
    What a long strange journey its been.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Yazz View Post
    That sounds very familiar...
    Well now I am starting to feel bad. That is three of us, in a two hours old post. I wonder if any of the RT guys have this and don't hear it because of the Tupperware? I feel like the harbinger of ill omen!

Spyder Garage

WOW!!! Hope this gets fixed quick for you and it is nothing major.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by CanAmChris View Post
    Well now I am starting to feel bad. That is three of us, in a two hours old post. I wonder if any of the RT guys have this and don't hear it because of the Tupperware? I feel like the harbinger of ill omen!

Well I don't see you as a harbinger of ill omen - just the opposite - a savior by identifying problem early based on sound and not performance that could later cause a more severe engine problem while riding a long ways from home.
    2020 RT Ride Frequent Stay Safe
    Aftermarket Aux Light, GPS mounting/wiring, Lamonster Garage Mirror Lock, Lamonster Garage Belt Tensioner
    Backrest Home Brew Mod

2008 RS from 2008 through 4/2015, 2015 F3-S from 4/2015 through 9/2020

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RBS66 View Post
    WOW!!! Hope this gets fixed quick for you and it is nothing major.
    Thanks. It really all depends on how fast BRP can get the part here, if it is in fact the cam belt tensioner. They might come back and say that all the prototypes ran for 100k miles with the same metal chatter / pebble grinding noise (THanks BeRight) That would be awesome.

One can only hope.

Spyder Garage

There's four of us or more...

IMHO, that grinding noise is loud enough to be heard through anybodies tupperware.

A question please... does the grinding noise happen only in neutral, or all the gears?

This ain't your fault, no way, no how...
    Joy
    Very Happy Ryder...
    '09 Phantom and a '15 F3-S

If you don't slow down, they can't catch you..
    ​If you don't give up, they can't win.
    What a long strange journey its been.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BeRight View Post
    Well I don't see you as a harbinger of ill omen - just the opposite - a savior by identifying problem early based on sound and not performance that could later cause a more severe engine problem while riding a long ways from home.
    Thanks BeRight. I took auto shop for a year in high school way back in the 1980's. Our year end final test was to listen to sounds that motors were making and pick what we thought the problem was. I was a straight C student in that class. I got an A on the final.

Machines make strange noises, but if they consistently make the same strange noise, it's worth looking into.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Yazz View Post
    There's four of us or more...

IMHO, that grinding noise is loud enough to be heard through anybodies tupperware.

A question please... does the grinding noise happen only in neutral, or all the gears?

This ain't your fault, no way, no how...
    I have the SE6 and I have only heard it when it is idling in neutral. When I am going down the road, I have the full face on and don't hear much but the wind and the muffler. Then again, I only noticed it for the first time yesterday.

Spyder Garage

Will be watching this closely. Four posting with the same issue in the same time period is sure something that has to be thoroughly looked into.

I do have a feeling that if there is something major going on that it will not be swept under the proverbial rug.

The issues with the new Slingshot seem to be handled well from Polaris. Let's hope that BRP follows suit in the case of issues with the F3.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Default Wow..!!

had a similar problem with Suzuki GSXR's back when they went watercooled.. But only some hope its just a reset depending on the system.
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Cool Not Yet

I have over 5000 miles and haven't heard that noise ...... YET! Keeping my fingers crossed. At least it sounds like BRP is listening, and that's a good thing.

Very Active Member Orange Spyder Man's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I am beginning to think I may have made a mistake buying a Spyder.. too many built in issues lately ..

osm

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Orange Spyder Man View Post
    I am beginning to think I may have made a mistake buying a Spyder.. too many built in issues lately ..

osm
    Not at all. Please don't think that. For every ounce of pain I have had with my Spyders, I have had thousands of pounds of joy. I just went for a short ride on my Harley and it was a blast. There is one thing that didn't happen though... the grin. The smile that just comes to my face all by itself when I am on my Spyder.

I could buy three new Sportsers for what my Spyder cost, but they wouldn't bring that same **** eating 'woohoo' grin to my face like my Spyder does.

More complex machines have more problems. It's a fact. Just ask NASA.

Spyder Garage

Thanks, when the transmission blew out on my 2010 RSS, it took 25 days to get the replacement parts. I hope this gets done a bit faster.

I think they build my bikes on drunk Friday at the Can-Am factory. So far I am 2 for 2. At least when the first bike broke, it was in September, not at the beginning of the season like now.
    I know what you going through, I have a lot of trouble with my 2011 RS-S SE5. In about 4 years I lost I almost 48 weeks of usage due mostly to parts. Here in Georgia almost I can almost ride year round. I only have 17,500 miles on the Spyder. Good luck.

Mike

Spyder Garage

Default Neutral or first gear

[QUOTE=CanAmChris;965110]Well, I hate to say it but the fun lasted about 150 miles. Last night I started the bike and I could hear a grinding noise near the bottom of the motor housing.

https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resi...nt=video%2cmp4

Does the bike on neutral or first gear???

F3S - 2015 magnesium (BR windshield, heated grip, USB, extra 12 V, Zumo 590), backrest, saddlebags, floorboards. Laser alignment.
    ST Limited 2014
    Bajaron Sway-bar
    laser alignmet

Spyder Garage

Just turned 11,000 miles on my RT 1330. No noises or issues with the 1330 engine so far.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

I'm sorry to hear about this situation. Just went to the garage and started my F3S and it has no such noise. I have 3200 miles on mine since the end of January and it has been nothing but awesome.

I will ill be watching this situation and hope that it is solved and fixed very quickly.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by TWILBER View Post
    I'm sorry to hear about this situation. Just went to the garage and started my F3S and it has no such noise. I have 3200 miles on mine since the end of January and it has been nothing but awesome.

I will ill be watching this situation and hope that it is solved and fixed very quickly.
    Thanks Twilber.

Spyder Garage

Default Update

I talked to the service manager at my dealer. BRP asked him to do a partial tear down of the engine and send them some more pictures. He did that today and they said everything looks fine. They have no idea why it is making that sound.

BUT…

They want to find out why very, very much. So they told him to stop everything. They want that engine. They are going to crate up a brand new engine and ship it to the dealer for them to install

My dealer will ship the old engine back to the techs so they can get to the bottom of the mystery gravel sound.

So... Good news: Can-Am (BRP) is taking this very seriously. Bad news: My bike will be down until at least the first week of May. (That might not seem like much time to some, but I ride year round. Rain does not bother me, and it gets damn cold come winter time in PA. Heated gear is awesome)

To my fellow Spyder Lovers who have this issue I cannot give any advice. This could all turn out to be nothing. As I said in a previous post, machines make strange noises. If there actually is a design or mechanical issue, I am sure they will address it. For all we know, they got a bad batch of a single part and it will only affect a very small percentage of the engines. It could turn out to be nothing.

I’m sure the BRP guys want to dissect my engine to find the cause just as bad as I want my bike back.

I do want to shamelessly give a shout out to my dealer. Leisure Sports ‘n Turf (Formally Leisure Equipment) is the best. I am so lucky to live 15 minutes away from them.

Spyder Garage

I talked to the service manager at my dealer. BRP asked him to do a partial tear down of the engine and send them some more pictures. He did that today and they said everything looks fine. They have no idea why it is making that sound.

BUT…

They want to find out why very, very much. So they told him to stop everything. They want that engine. They are going to crate up a brand new engine and ship it to the dealer for them to install

My dealer will ship the old engine back to the techs so they can get to the bottom of the mystery gravel sound.

So... Good news: Can-Am (BRP) is taking this very seriously. Bad news: My bike will be down until at least the first week of May. (That might not seem like much time to some, but I ride year round. Rain does not bother me, and it gets damn cold come winter time in PA. Heated gear is awesome)

To my fellow Spyder Lovers who have this issue I cannot give any advice. This could all turn out to be nothing. As I said in a previous post, machines make strange noises. If there actually is a design or mechanical issue, I am sure they will address it. For all we know, they got a bad batch of a single part and it will only affect a very small percentage of the engines. It could turn out to be nothing.

I’m sure the BRP guys want to dissect my engine to find the cause just as bad as I want my bike back.

I do want to shamelessly give a shout out to my dealer. Leisure Sports ‘n Turf (Formally Leisure Equipment) is the best. I am so lucky to live 15 minutes away from them.
    WOW that's great to hear BRP is taking care of you. Leisure Sports N Turf is where I purchased my spyder.
    2013 RT SE5
    Bajaron sway bar
    Bajaron heim links
    laser alignment from dealer
    Inspector Gadget floor boards
    Smoothspyder belt tensioner
    Grip Puppies
    HEAT RECALL COMPLETED

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Well; It's good that the source of this problem has now been found.
    Here's to hoping that BRP gets the parts out to your dealers quick enough, that minimal riding time is lost...

Good Luck, and please keep us posted on your progress...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black