Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Thanks for contributing to the gobbledegook.

Wayne
    pauly1 - SpyderDeb's 'wrench'
    2018 F3-T & 2015 F3-S Road Warrior Foundation Tribute customs
    IBA #48220 SS1000 BB1500
    2015 F3-S , OEM na Basic Black with Custom Wrap

Spyder Garage

The adage "HP is for show, Torque moves the load" is a pretty good 'simplification' for those who don't want/couldn't handle the full & technical explanation....

BUUUUTTT, I like this one better:

HP is how fast you hit a tree; Torque is how far you move it!!

Last edited by Peter Aawen; 06-30-2015 at 08:07 PM.

Spyder Garage

I can't see that the pulled back, feet forward riding position can be conducivice to twisty road riding? I would love to see the RS-S type with the F3 type engine. True the F3 has 15 more hp than the RS-S /GS, but it is 50 lbs more weight? Power to weight ratio, the F3 is at a loss.
    If I can't fix it, I will fix it so no one can fix it. Sypder Loco!

Spyder Garage

Default Thanks for the link

I read this link from end to end. Enjoyed the comments from the best engine builders in the world. I learned Torque and HP are married across a complicated spectrum of variables for what the engine's ultimate goal is. The F3 should have a street advantage while powering out of curves. The GS should have a quicker hit and the feel it is going faster. Basicaly a wash as neither will outrun the other. In the end the F3 gets my nod because you will be shifting less.

Quote Originally Posted by pauly1 View Post
    Who is misunderstanding what? Without torque, horsepower is not possible. http://www.hotrod.com/how-to/engine/...sepower-guide/ A 16K RPM Indy or F1 motor which will product horsepower but wouldn't out accelerate a big displacement but equal horsepower motor.

Wayne

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default I Don't Know......

But, I'm frequently asked if how fast my RT can go. I have to reply that I would never speed, because that is illegal. However, I once accidentally went 80 mph.

~Sandee~

~Sandee~
    2016 RT-L (Purchased used in February 2018)
    RT Dash Mount (from JT's Spyder Store)
    Kuryakin Trident Highway Pegs
    Hopnel Pouch
    Magic Mirrors
    Spyderpops Foam Handgrips
    Iron Butt #35273
    Girls on Spyders #2779

Spyder Garage

I once accidentally had my F3 wound up to 127....

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Deer Slayer View Post
    I can't see that the pulled back, feet forward riding position can be conducivice to twisty road riding? I would love to see the RS-S type with the F3 type engine. True the F3 has 15 more hp than the RS-S /GS, but it is 50 lbs more weight? Power to weight ratio, the F3 is at a loss.
    There's more to it than the riding position... The repackaging of the components has resulted in a lower center of gravity...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    There's more to it than the riding position... The repackaging of the components has resulted in a lower center of gravity...
    Wow! That sounds PAINFUL! Isn't that what Bruce Jenner did?
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Yes; but her "re-packaging" was for aesthetic reasons; NOT for better handling!

Very Active Member Pirate looks at --'s Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Once

Quote Originally Posted by jcthorne View Post
    I once accidentally had my RTL up to 100 two up!
    White 2013 Spyder RT Limited. BajaRon Swaybar, Custom Dynamic Third Brake Light. Ultimate Custom Black and White seat with driver and passenger back rest. Gloryder Led Wheel lights.Custom Dynamics Led Bright sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright sides.

2016 F3 Limited Intense Red Pearl. Lidlox, BRP Driver Back Rest, BRP Passenger Back Rest,Fog Lights, GPS, Signature Light! Custom Dynamics LED Bright Sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright Sides.

Spyder Garage

I haven't personally timed it, but after calling 911 on sunday to report a brush fire on the side of I-5, I went from a dead stop to highway speed (70-75) easily in under 4 seconds. 2nd and 3rd were the gears I used, then once I was at speed, shifted all the way to 6th (YAY MANUAL!). can't wait to find a track here in the PNW that will let me run it so I can get times in the 1/4 mile.
    RS - 55K+ miles, F3 - 200 miles and counting.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by joet82 View Post
    I haven't personally timed it, but after calling 911 on sunday to report a brush fire on the side of I-5, I went from a dead stop to highway speed (70-75) easily in under 4 seconds. 2nd and 3rd were the gears I used, then once I was at speed, shifted all the way to 6th (YAY MANUAL!). can't wait to find a track here in the PNW that will let me run it so I can get times in the 1/4 mile.
    If you haven't personally timed it, how do you know? Was it seat of the pants?

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

They call this, "Mahogany Ridge" racing...

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by wyliec View Post
    If you haven't personally timed it, how do you know? Was it seat of the pants?
    yes, it was the situation where you are waiting for a spot in traffic to open up, you see it...gun it...then when you get up to speed and you get into 6th gear, you realize, "Holy crap, that was like 3 seconds." lol

which is why I want to get it to a track/drag strip to find out what it can do when actually timed.
    RS - 55K+ miles, F3 - 200 miles and counting.

Spyder Garage

I am buying F3 based on looks, sorry should say "badass" looks, rarity on UK roads, something different, something that will make me feel special. How fast it goes is irrelevant to me, because all I want to do on it is cruise and watch the admiring glances from members of the public.
    2019 F3-S Special Series , Liquid Titanium with orange frame

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Darren111 View Post
    I am buying F3 based on looks, sorry should say "badd ass" looks, rarity on UK roads, something different, something that will make me feel special. How fast it goes is irrelevant to me, because all I want to do on it is cruise and watch the admiring glances from members of the public.
    That should about cover your needs, enjoy all those bloody round-a-bouts and don't fall off.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Bob, I can't wait to ride with one in the twisties here in the East.. I am having a blast riding with my ole buddy on his F6B Goldwing. We rode lots when I had my fast red F6B. Not sure yet but considering all the curves all appears equal. Slow hair pins the RS-S does well, long sweepers about equal. More test to go. Lots of fun. We ran the 3 mountain today, wow neat ride. The mountains are above Winston-Salem, Pilot mtn, Saurra Town mtn and Hanging Rock State Park including all the connectors. See ya..

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by wyliec View Post
    Yes, I know that. But, we keep hearing how fast they are. If you pick up any car magazine (motorcycles may be the same), they list the 0-60 mph times as a reference point. And, now I see Lamont's post of 4.8 seconds. The GS was supposedly 4.5 seconds. I'm not trying to debate how it handles, or how it feels in tight or sweeping turns, or if you like its looks. I was just trying to see how slow the GS/RS is compared to the F3, based on all the smoking tire comments, and how fast it is. So, it looks like an F3 at 4.8 seconds is faster than a GS/RS at 4.5 seconds. There will probably be comments that once past 60 mph, the F3 smokes the GS/RS.

And, by the way, Bob- Based on comments I read here, I believe some buy based on color.
    I may have failed math, but 4.8 seconds is more than 4.5 seconds making the F3 slower, not faster.
    2014 RTSS , Cogna/ black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by joebryanjr View Post
    I may have failed math, but 4.8 seconds is more than 4.5 seconds making the F3 slower, not faster.
    Ride an F3 and then let us know what you thing.
    I have a good friend who had two GS/RS and he just traded for an F3. I asked his girl if she was going to trade too and she said "no, it's too fast for me".

Spyder Garage

Even Though it was more like street racing at Spyderfest, There is a few people that learned a lot and not talking much about it.
    Happy Owner

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Lamonster View Post
    I have a good friend who had two GS/RS and he just traded for an F3. I asked his girl if she was going to trade too and she said "no, it's too fast for me".
    So, are you saying the 0-60 time (that you posted) is incorrect for the F3, or are you saying once 60 is reached, the F3 just pulls away from the GS/RS? There are those that have given their opinion after riding the F3, and they say their RS is quicker.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by it. Seeingcthorne View Post

Go Pro It. Seeing is believing

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Lamonster View Post

When my father and I line up, and we do so repeatedly, it is usually even to about 60 and then my RS-S starts to walk away. So I am guessing that the torque just makes it feel faster. I would also like to see a 127 mph top speed, as my personal best is 117 and that was downhill tucked down on a smooth road with no headwind. I love bench racers. I just wish the spyder had the same tattletale feature the ski-doo snowmobiles did, then you could see the numbers for real.

Just sayin'............

e
    Three in the garage, and I think I can fit at least one more in.....and then we will have to build another garage.
    The roads in NY are so bad that I am glad we bought a Ryker Rally

Just sayin'............

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

A "Tattletale" feature???
    Oh, Hell no! That would be ripped out PDQ!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by otter28169 View Post
    When my father and I line up, and we do so repeatedly, it is usually even to about 60 and then my RS-S starts to walk away. So I am guessing that the torque just makes it feel faster. I would also like to see a 127 mph top speed, as my personal best is 117 and that was downhill tucked down on a smooth road with no headwind. I love bench racers. I just wish the spyder had the same tattletale feature the ski-doo snowmobiles did, then you could see the numbers for real.

Just sayin'............

e
    That's exactly what we are seeing around here too. Pretty much dead even running through the first few gears, and then it's all 998.
    Twisties riding hard the f3 is falling behind. You can't move on the f3 seat enough vs hanging off the side of the RS running hard and tight. You will work harder on the RS though.
    The f3 feels faster because it doesn't rev up. The motor feels flatter and pulls nice through the entire rev range.
    The 1330 is a nice motor, no doubt. Easy to ride, pulls nice, and super forgiving in regards to shift points.
    You can lug it along in pretty much any gear.
    However, the overall power is super disappointing as an "upgrade" personally vs the 998. It's really not that powerful of a motor in its current form.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk