Spyder Garage

Default Backrest Big Bike Parts

Anybody bought one? Maybe I read wrong but it seems you don't have to cut with 2014's and up. Any reviews would be great!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2014 Black RTS SE6
    2012 Black RS - Sold 7/24/2014
    2011 Sonata LTD

Spyder Garage

Default Backrest

You only have to cut a piece out of the hard plastic filler in the newer seats. The foam in side is already cut back.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bert-RFD View Post
    You only have to cut a piece out of the hard plastic filler in the newer seats. The foam in side is already cut back.
    Right, so have you used these? What's your experience?

Spyder Garage

Default 2014 seat plug

The 2014 RT seats have a removable insert for backrest, no need to cut seat. Just a little foam cut and install bracket. It was easy to install my BRP backrest. Same on the comfort seat and backrest from BRP we upgraded to.
    2020 RTL - Petrol Blue Metalic / Black, dark model.
    Colour match rear tail cover, Garmin GPS.
    Heated Ultra Comfort driver seat & backrest.
    LED headlamps, LED Front corner lamps and lower front LED lamp.
    Baja Ron sway bar.
    Ride Til You Rot!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RTL1330 View Post
    The 2014 RT seats have a removable insert for backrest, no need to cut seat. Just a little foam cut and install bracket. It was easy to install my BRP backrest. Same on the comfort seat and backrest from BRP we upgraded to.
    Right. Was wondering if anybody had use the back rest. Will just have to test and see what happens, all else fails I can send it back and then replace the plastic cover.

Spyder Garage

I have one on my 2014 RT it is great, very comfortable, easy to install with simple tools. It also folds forward so passenger can get on with no problems. You'll love the comfort and position!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Spyder Garage

Default Is it adjustable

Quote Originally Posted by justcalldon View Post
    I have one on my 2014 RT it is great, very comfortable, easy to install with simple tools. It also folds forward so passenger can get on with no problems. You'll love the comfort and position!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    I have the 2015 RT-s oem backrest. It was easy enough to install. When I sat on the bike it pushed me out of the seat pocket. There is not any adjustments for this. I had to use shims on four of eight mounting points to get it back Adding to that, my oem backrest would not allow a full szie passenger. The oem is solid and comfortable, but I have never had a backrest at this price point, $425 that did not adjust?

When touring, it has been critical for me to be able to make adjustemnts on the fly to change my sitting angles, [both forward and back ] thus increasing my saddle time.
    Is there an adjusting backrest out there or is everything a fixed set point like my oem?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis in Lodi View Post
    I have the 2015 RT-s oem backrest. It was easy enough to install. When I sat on the bike it pushed me out of the seat pocket. There is not any adjustments for this. I had to use shims on four of eight mounting points to get it back Adding to that, my oem backrest would not allow a full szie passenger. The oem is solid and comfortable, but I have never had a backrest at this price point, $425 that did not adjust?

When touring, it has been critical for me to be able to make adjustemnts on the fly to change my sitting angles, [both forward and back ] thus increasing my saddle time.
    Is there an adjusting backrest out there or is everything a fixed set point like my oem?
    I have the same problem. Are you saying that you were able to shim to change the angle? If that is the case, how did you do it?

Spyder Garage

Default Adjusting the OEM backrest to the rear

Quote Originally Posted by Bucketman View Post
    I have the same problem. Are you saying that you were able to shim to change the angle? If that is the case, how did you do it?
    There is four mounting points that attach the Backrest bracket to the seat. With the two in the rear I added two appropiate sized washers as shims which started the lean rearward.

Then you'll find there is four bolts holding the backrest holder to the bracket. I did the same by adding two washers to the rear two mounting points. The last washers / shims really made the most difference in change. I had to do the this twice as I do not keep track of what was really the front and rear when I had the backrest system on the bench. It only took a few minutes from start to finish. I don't recall if I added longer screws in dealing with the main bracket?

With the changed angle for the backrest to slide into, I had a little bit of lining it up issue and getting it to slide in. Had to take a flashlight to see what angles I was fighting. Once I got it in place it seems as solid as any backrest I've owned.
    pm me if you need more info?
    Dennis in Lodi

Spyder Garage

Awesome. Glad I brought this up. It seems this backrest is a good choice. Those asking about moving the positions, I believe the backrest in question from Big Bike Parts moves about an inch in a lean, could be wrong. Very good price point at under $200

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2014 Black RTS SE6
    2012 Black RS - Sold 7/24/2014
    2011 Sonata LTD