Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Riding with Slingshots

My friend just purchased a Slingshot and we did a great ride through the canyons on Sunday. I thought that I would share some of my personal observations.

Spyders ride well with Slingshots and with (two wheeled) motorcycles. The size just fits in the middle, and it all looks “right” either way. That said, the size and character differences between a motorcycle and a Slingshot make it unlikely that you’ll see the two riding together very often. I just don’t see them being accepted in a riding group (as Spyders generally are, at least in my area). Slingshots are very large, and there is much more size difference between a Spyder or trike and a Slingshot than there is between a motorcycle and a slingshot.

It seems as though the Slighshot can take the corners faster than we can (or, at least, than I can). On the other hand, they are the size of a car and can’t pass as easily (especially when you may be borrowing an oncoming lane when you can see far enough ahead). Performance wise, they are probably best matched with an F3 or an RS, rather than my RT.

To compare riding styles, for what it is worth, my friend rides both a Goldwing and V-Strom. He rides the Slingshot much more in the style of his V-Strom. There is a lot of power in the Slingshot - it feels like a race car in many ways when you watch it. They also slowed down less for dirt on the road than I felt necessary.

If they don’t put the helmet behind the seat, I can easily see enough storage for a long weekend.

Nobody will notice your Spyder. I’ve tired of those conversations by now, so it was nice to see the attention go elsewhere.

The Slingshot can take a passenger without any noticeable difference in the performance. I certainly feel I have to ride more conservatively with somebody on the back.

The view from behind is ugly - a lot of black and the wheel. Every other angle is great.

The cool factor feels very high, but I can’t see it being as fun to be in a car (no matter how open) than on a Spyder.

Overall, although there are differences, I’m completely comfortable riding with Slingshots on my Spyder and the differences aren’t that much more than riding with different types of motorcycles. Think of it as the ultimate car to ride with, rather than as any kind of a motorcycle.
    2020 RT Limited in the ultra cool Deep Marsala Dark edition.

Baja Ron Anti-Sway Bar, LED reflectors, Lamonster USB Charger (and phone mount), Can-Am Low Windshield, X-Creen Tour Variable Windscreen Spoiler Blade, Power Commander, Dilithium powered Flux Capacitor (not yet fully functional).
    Maintained by Lou at Pirate Powersports.

Spyder Garage

Good observation, thanks, I will stick with my RT.

Cruzr Joe
    2018 F3 Limited, BRP Driver Backrest, Spyderpops Lighted Bump Skid, Dual Spyclops Light, Mirror Turn Signals, Laser Alignment, Engine LEDs, Fog Lights With Halo's, Cushion Handgrips, BRT LEDs, and Under Lighting, Lamonster IPS, (with Clock), F4 25" Vented Windshield with Wings, Airhawk "R" Cushions. Position 4 Brake setting, Short reach Handlebars, Dash Mounted Voltmeter and 12 Volt Plug. Set of 3rd pegs. Extended Passenger Seat. Exterior BRP Connect setup, Ultimate Trailer

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I rode behind a Slingshot on Saturday, he was from CA but I didn't get his name. He did say that he had a Spyder before the SS. I meant to tell him that when he accelerated onto the freeway he blew out a lot of smoke from the exhaust. Don't know why but it happened each time. The ability to easily carry a passenger was the reason he was carrying the event's guest of honor, a disabled veteran.

I did find it funny that he wants to have it both ways - is it a motorcycle or is it not - he does not wear a helmet (that would be the it IS NOT a motorcycle argument) and he does not wear a seat belt (the it IS a motorcycle angle). He said he carried the law in the glove box to show LEO if he gets stopped but I don't see where that would help him in a state with motorcycle helmet laws.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

"Good observation, thanks, I will stick with my RT."

And I will also!
    You know; this thread is gonna make Randy's head swell up...
    Last edited by Bob Denman; 04-20-2015 at 01:38 PM.
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

I decided to look up the helmet law in CA, and by my reading of it there is no question that you have to wear a helmet in CA.

Baja Ron Anti-Sway Bar, LED reflectors, Lamonster USB Charger (and phone mount), Can-Am Low Windshield, X-Creen Tour Variable Windscreen Spoiler Blade, Power Commander, Dilithium powered Flux Capacitor (not yet fully functional).

Spyder Garage

Glad to hear about some of the performance things with the SS.

I am thinking we are not going to solve the helmet and seatbelt issues ever.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

On the helmet thing, my friend sometimes wears a helmet, and sometimes doesn't (he thinks the cops don't know yet - I look at the motorcycle license plate and wonder how long until he gets his first ticket). I can't see a single advantage in not wearing a seat belt. This is an open, three wheeled car, not a motorcycle. I don't think the accident survival rate will be very high, but like a Spyder you aren't going to put it down very easily and you have the speed to either get out of a problem, or to create one.

This is not competition for just about any other specific motorized vehicle, except in the broadest sense.

Also, this post isn't about one vs. the other, so much as it is about riding with a Slingshot. Personally, it might be fun to have one for the weekend, but I'll pick my Spyder over a Slingshot.
    Last edited by MRH; 04-20-2015 at 01:53 PM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Cruzr Joe View Post
    Good observation, thanks, I will stick with my RT.

Cruzr Joe
    I agree with you Cruzr Joe - sticking with my RT Limited.
    Wonder what is going to happen next year when the Elio hits the road?? Their approach has been to go the various state Legislatures and get the laws changed for the Elio - they call it an autocycle - as in no helmet????
    BIG F

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MRH View Post
    On the helmet thing, my friend sometimes wears a helmet, and sometimes doesn't (he thinks the cops don't know yet - I look at the motorcycle license plate and wonder how long until he gets his first ticket). I can't see a single advantage in not wearing a seat belt. This is an open, three wheeled car, not a motorcycle. I don't think the accident survival rate will be very high, but like a Spyder you aren't going to put it down very easily and you have the speed to either get out of a problem, or to create one.

This is not competition for just about any other specific motorized vehicle, except in the broadest sense.

Also, this post isn't about one vs. the other, so much as it is about riding with a Slingshot. Personally, it might be fun to have one for the weekend, but I'll pick my Spyder over a Slingshot.
    I agree.

I don't know what the stock tail lights are, this guy may have had additional lights, but they looked good. Also, riding behind him it was easy to see over him since they are so low.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    You know; this thread is gonna make Randy's head swell up...
    Going to make his head swell, that ship already sailed.
    Here's To A Great Riding Season, Snowmobile That Is

"​Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt"

"Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day.
    Teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime.
    Give a man religion and he will die praying for a fish"

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderAnn01 View Post
    I agree.

I don't know what the stock tail lights are, this guy may have had additional lights, but they looked good. Also, riding behind him it was easy to see over him since they are so low.
    The tail lights were fine, and the red LED's looked great, but didn't you find the large black space about the rear wheel that is the back of the Slingshot to lack much in the aesthetics, especially as it looks amazing from just about every other angle?

Spyder Garage

Default Nice review..!!

problem is comparing a 2,400 cc 173 hp autocycle (no nanny) to a 1,330 cc 115 hp reverse trike...last one I saw with the hood up shows a lot of wasted space. Like the old cars with the big fins....
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Big F View Post
    I agree with you Cruzr Joe - sticking with my RT Limited.
    Wonder what is going to happen next year when the Elio hits the road?? Their approach has been to go the various state Legislatures and get the laws changed for the Elio - they call it an autocycle - as in no helmet????
    BIG F
    WHEN is the Elio coming??

Spyder Garage

Most likely when the cow jumps over the moon
    Now 2014 RT Limited Cognac
    Was 2008 GS SM5

Don Garbarino

Cup Holder
    GPS locking holder
    Mud flap
    Modified KNOTT grill
    Phone holder and charger
    Trailer hitch
    Dual air horn
    Auxiliary fuse box with relays
    Heated clothing controller
    volt/oil pressure gauge
    Sequential signals in mirror
    Tri Axis Handle bars
    Baja Ron anti sway bar/heim links
    shorty antenna
    And many more

Very Active Member Desert Spyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Our new RC led a small band of Spyders and one cage (me) in a Slingshot on a 45 min run for food following our chapter meeting Saturday. Speed wasn't a factor because one of our ryders is new to the sport and was driving conservatively. We don't do hounds and hare runs. We keep pace with the slowest who was in the middle. I think having them in our group may be an advantage. They have "stolen" our Y factor but everyone on the road sees them and stops for the group at the stops. If we happen to have two, and we do have two Slingshot owners in the club, the other can ride sweeps. We compliment each other.
    Happy Spyder Owner
    States visited on the Spyder.
    And if we live life without a passion, then we're not living.

Spyder Garage

Great observation.. I was wondering about how it rode.

This weekend I rode my Spyder down to the Williamsburg outlets and a Slingshot parked beside me. This was my first in person look at the machine and I will definitely keep my Spyder any day. My wife thought it was a cool looking go-kart (her words). The driver was taking pics and seemed happy with it so that's all that matter in my book.

Pros - Front fairing looks cool

Cons- steering wheel, bucket seats

Do you have to wear a helmet and seatbelt on a Slingshot?

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

If money, and parking space wasn't a consideration; I'd have one!

Spyder Garage

I saw one on the street in our area the other day while I was driving in my car. It looks cool but definitely not for me. I ride the Spyder because I want a motorcycle feel, not a car feel. To me it looks sorta like a three wheel version of the Ariel Atom, which is primarily for track use. Neither the driver nor passenger had helmets on but I couldn't tell if they were wearing seat belts. Personally, I would drive/ride in one without a seat belt.
    Phil

I may be old, but I got to see all the cool bands.

2011 Spyder RT-AC

Spyder Garage

FYI A person from the Spyder Riders of America - Inland Empire spotted you guys up near Grisly Cafe here in wrightwood.

They had asked who it was on the Facebook pages for SRA.

I assume your not part of any SRA group in the LA area?

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black
    Bought June 2013 with 450 miles. 27K on 8-1-2017.
    Farkles - DIY Trunk Break Light, HMT Break Light, DIY Mirror Turn Signal Lights, DIY Bluetooth Dongle, DIY iPod Setup, DIY Alarm System Install, Show Chrome front fender / rear saddle bag lights, 4th break light around the trunk, Vented Windshield, Baja Ron Sway Bar, DIY GPS setup, Smooth Spyder, BRP Chrome Mirrors, Adjustable deflectors, Triaxis handlebars, NVB Pegs, Bad Boy Airhorn... More to come
    2011 RT-S SM5 , Baja Ron Black

Very Active Member Desert Spyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by finless View Post
    FYI A person from the Spyder Riders of America - Inland Empire spotted you guys up near Grisly Cafe here in wrightwood.

They had asked who it was on the Facebook pages for SRA.

I assume your not part of any SRA group in the LA area?

Bob
    I am the Founder/president of the IE chapter. The person you are referring to is a member of IE who lives in Wrightwood. The village is just around the corner from her. It wasn't us that day. We were riding in the hills between Corona and Hemet. She was in my car as a matter of fact.
    Happy Spyder Owner
    States visited on the Spyder.
    And if we live life without a passion, then we're not living.

Spyder Garage

If money, and parking space wasn't a consideration; I'd have one!
    I briefly gave it a thought but bought my Challenger instead. And after owning this car for four weeks I will guarantee you that I (and I mean I, not anyone else) could not possibly have more fun with a SS than I do with that RT. Coming from the muscle car era, the fun factor is off the charts. Any bets I get a speeding ticket by the end of the summer?

Like I said in another thread, I can't afford all the toys so I pick and choose what works best for me. I truly have no use for a SS.
    Here's To A Great Riding Season, Snowmobile That Is

"​Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt"

"Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day.
    Teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime.
    Give a man religion and he will die praying for a fish"

Spyder Garage

Ivor followed us in his Slingshot last December when we had our "Spyder Cruise Trip", to Cozumel. At that time we had ridden from Ft. Liqourdale down to Key West. There was no problem at all and Ivor did an excellent job staying with the group.

We all had a great time.

Chris

Spyder Garage

Cool

We looked at the SlingShot before we bought the Spyder. For us being older, bad backs and all.....getting out of it was hard on us, it sits low also. With the Spyder I can step on it and step off of it.

As far as helmet; that will depend on your State law (and the State you are traveling through) In Oregon (as an example) it is classified and licensed as a motorcycle...thus you will need the proper license endorsement and a helmet to operate it on the roadways.

it is a good looking machine though !
    Craig From Albany Oregon

Spyder Garage

I'm with ya, I'll stick with the RTS

this posting has been vetted, scrubbed and endorsed by the
    committee for postings

Spyder Garage

Any time now for the production to be extended another year.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red