Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Wiring damage advice needed

I'm a new owner of a 2014 Can Am RT. Was delivered last week by dealer in a totally enclosed trailer to my house. Brand new from the crate it was assembled and put in their unheated storage area until it was tested and delivered. Right after delivery I started to get ready to install JT's bracket and dual usb kit. On removal of plastic around centre main display I found wires had been chewed by mice to expose bare wires at the spare instrument plug end. I immediately notified dealer who said they had this problem 3 years ago and would replace any damaged parts.
    Luckily I haven't ridden yet. What should I ask for when they take back bike for repair? Installation of usb, pictures of repairs, 1 year of warranty? In 35 years of owning vehicles I've never had a problem like this. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by HVACR Guy View Post
    I'm a new owner of a 2014 Can Am RT. Was delivered last week by dealer in a totally enclosed trailer to my house. Brand new from the crate it was assembled and put in their unheated storage area until it was tested and delivered. Right after delivery I started to get ready to install JT's bracket and dual usb kit. On removal of plastic around centre main display I found wires had been chewed by mice to expose bare wires at the spare instrument plug end. I immediately notified dealer who said they had this problem 3 years ago and would replace any damaged parts.
    Luckily I haven't ridden yet. What should I ask for when they take back bike for repair? Installation of usb, pictures of repairs, 1 year of warranty? In 35 years of owning vehicles I've never had a problem like this. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
    Just be happy the dealer stated it was there fault and they are making it good.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I think that asking them to install the USB is a very reasonable request. They will have the Spyder torn apart and it wouldn't take them long to install it. An extra year of warranty isn't a bad idea either.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Get admission in writing.

Spyder Garage

Default Agree..!!

SpyderAnn01
    make sure it is noted that there was wiring damage and that they check the whole machine. If you have electrical problems in the future it should be covered...while they are there installing electrical components should not be a problem....
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Default Update

Have spoken to warranty service at dealer and are sending their covered trailer the 200 kilometers to pick up the bike next week and do a tear down to make sure all wiring is free from damage. Will wait to see what they find. Thanks for all advice given from members here.

Spyder Garage

Default Service report

Quote Originally Posted by MouthPiece View Post
    Get admission in writing.
    I will ask for a written report with pictures if possible. That's as good as an admission. Should cover my butt if I have any further problems.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Great service. The dealer is picking up the bike with a covered trailer Monday. I pride myself by providing great service to my customers for 23 years and and it sure is nice to get the same treatment.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

There is a four-year warranty in place anyway...
    That's more than enough time to catch all of the "mousey mischief"..

You should be good to go!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Take you own pixs

One of the hardest decisions you'll ever face in life is choosing whether to walk away or try harder.

Spyder Garage

Myself, I would be more focused on how they will accomplish the repairs. I am not sure how intense the damage is. With the care taken by BRP to install connectors that are environmentally sealed, your repairs should be equal or better.

To accomplish repair by wrapping in tape or similar fashion would not be acceptable for me.

If the damaged wiring is on the main wire harness, replacement will be involved but not impossible.

With luck, the wire damage is smaller pigtails from individual items such as a mirror, taillight or similar.

The reason I would be concerned about quality repair or replacement is on account of how computer involved the RT is. Corrosion to any wiring or connectors could, if it happens be a nightmare to sort out, even within the owners warranty period.

Simply, you bought a new vehicle, receive that and then move forward with your mods. Myself, I would ask for nothing more than the wiring be replaced in a reasonable time, hopefully promised in writing.

PK

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Mice damage on a new machine? WTF! Where is your dealer keeping their inventory???

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by DrewNJ View Post
    Mice damage on a new machine? WTF! Where is your dealer keeping their inventory???
    Really!!!

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Seriously? Mice are everywhere, and any enclosed area is a potential nesting site. They will chew on everything to get material for their nests. Anyone who has owned a RV or storage trailer may have experienced mice damage. An enclosed storage room is no different.

Spyder Garage

Default Storage

The dealer has been in business for 40 years and where they build the bikes and store them after is aging. Roll up door to storage area in a rural area. I will be asking that immediately after inspection and repairs that the bike be put directly into covered trailer for safety and transport.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MisterP View Post
    Seriously? Mice are everywhere, and any enclosed area is a potential nesting site. They will chew on everything to get material for their nests. Anyone who has owned a RV or storage trailer may have experienced mice damage. An enclosed storage room is no different.
    Yes, seriously. I live in the pine barrens and we have our share of mice concerns. We have a few storage units housing some of our high end equipment that we have to be mindful of.
    This is a brp dealer selling expensive new machines, not a stash of bags full of old clothing or a pos left for dead RV. Just like food storage or anything else for purchase, mice damage IMHO is completely unacceptable when dealing with the public.

If I received a new bike that had mice damage, they'd be taking that machine right back.

Spyder Garage

Yes, seriously. I live in the pine barrens and we have our share of mice concerns. We have a few storage units housing some of our high end equipment that we have to be mindful of.
    This is a brp dealer selling expensive new machines, not a stash of bags full of old clothing or a pos left for dead RV. Just like food storage or anything else for purchase, mice damage IMHO is completely unacceptable when dealing with the public.

If I received a new bike that had mice damage, they'd be taking that machine right back.
    Kind of agree it should be replaced, but without facts of how bad the damage is, makes that call tough. If they can replace a pigtail or the entire harness and make it as new with a bit of inconvenience swag then that would be acceptable. Again without the real details of how intense the damage is makes this a tough call.

PK

Spyder Garage

My main concern would be REPLACE, not repair. If its part of a large harness that is very expensive to replace (labor) then its up to the dealer to decide if they would rather replace the bike. In any instance, I would NOT accept a patched or repaired harness. There are very few shops (and they are not BRP CanAm dealers) that can truly repair a wiring harness to better than new long term reliability. An extended warranty just shifts the arguments to later. Not good enough. Its a new bike, it needs to be delivered in new condition.

Its time that the dealer understands that the cost of vermin control is miniscule to the cost of damages. Mice damage in new inventory control is NOT acceptable and it was the dealers responsibility to control it. They did not.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

I seriously misunderstood the Title of this thread.

I was prepared to give you LOTS of advice on how to damage wires. It is actually very simple. But creativity is always welcome.

Spyder Garage

Don,t let them repair the wires.Replace the wiring with new complet harness.This is a new bike.I work at an auto dealer and last spring we had squirrels chewing off the abs wiring on several trucks.We replaced all wiring that was damaged no repairing.Where in Ont you from.?
    Bill
    2018 RT Anniversary , Brake pedal extended

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

You'll find another "Replace; not Repair" vote here...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Default I agree

Quote Originally Posted by Ex Winger View Post
    Don,t let them repair the wires.Replace the wiring with new complet harness.This is a new bike.I work at an auto dealer and last spring we had squirrels chewing off the abs wiring on several trucks.We replaced all wiring that was damaged no repairing.Where in Ont you from.?
    Bill
    Hey Bill.
    I'm from Oakville. I'm going to remove some of the panels today and if I find ANY harness damage it will be photographed and brought to their attention. No, I will not accept a patch with tape to hide problem. So far the dealer has been very quick to respond to this problem which is good. I should have more information later this week.

Spyder Garage

Default Damaged wires

Seems to me that a lot of people are getting in an uproar about unknown damage! As posted,the dealer has already agreed to replace all damaged wiring. The Spyder runs apparently - so let the dealer repair it to the owner's satisfaction and be done.
    Why all the demands for stuff that has no connection to the problem.
    No wonder some dealers are hard to get along with.
    My 2 cents worth!
    [SIGPIC]

Spyder Garage

Default Pick up today

Good morning everybody. Sorry but I did not want to start a poop storm for making this post. normally I would not look so carefully but this is my first bike and I paid a lot for it as did everyone else. because I was looking so carefully yesterday for more wiring damage I was unable to find anymore without removing a lot of panels. I will leave that to the dealer. Unfortunately, I did find other damage that makes me want to get very upset. It looks like the bike either bottomed out when being tested or bottomed out when backing down a ramp. Several damaged panels underneath and scuff marks on nose of trunk. attached are two pictures.When bike was delivered it was torrential downpour and it has been sitting in a dark garage for one week not taken out for a ride even because insurance did not kick in until today.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by HVACR Guy View Post
    Good morning everybody. Sorry but I did not want to start a poop storm for making this post. normally I would not look so carefully but this is my first bike and I paid a lot for it as did everyone else. because I was looking so carefully yesterday for more wiring damage I was unable to find anymore without removing a lot of panels. I will leave that to the dealer. Unfortunately, I did find other damage that makes me want to get very upset. It looks like the bike either bottomed out when being tested or bottomed out when backing down a ramp. Several damaged panels underneath and scuff marks on nose of trunk. attached are two pictures.When bike was delivered it was torrential downpour and it has been sitting in a dark garage for one week not taken out for a ride even because insurance did not kick in until today.
    uploadfromtaptalk1429532802615.jpguploadfromtaptalk1429532827339.jpg