Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Blind spot indicators on newer vehicles

Recent article in AMA magazine referencing how some of this new technology does not work as well with motorcycles (depending on size) as with vehicles. Some manufacturers seem more interested than others in attempting to resolve the issue. Something to always keep in the back of your mind.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Saluda View Post
    Recent article in AMA magazine referencing how some of this new technology does not work as well with motorcycles (depending on size) as with vehicles. Some manufacturers seem more interested than others in attempting to resolve the issue. Something to always keep in the back of your mind.

The sensitivity of the device is adjustable on some vehicles. Our new Nissan Murano was set up so that even rain drops would trigger the indicator light and that got to be annoying. The dealer tech programmed the sensitivity so that it takes less to activate it. That probably means motorcycles can creep up into the blind spot but I doubt it would effect the Spyder with all that frontal area.
    Penny and Rick have owned many motorcycles starting in 1974 with Honda’s, then to Suzukis, Gold Wings and ultimately Spyders.
    ‘74 Honda 360T (pair); ‘78 Suzuki GS 1000 (pair); ‘’82 Honda Aspencade; ‘84 Honda 400; ‘87 Yamaha 1100; ‘99 Honda Valkyrie; ‘01 Suzuki Burgman(triked); ‘02 Honda GL 1800(triked); ‘10 Spyder RTSE; ‘11 Spyder RTSM; ‘12 Spyder RTSL (pair); ‘20 Spyder RTL (current)

Spyder Garage

Default Nice feature.....

still would have to look to see if it is working right. Have a great co-pilot that does a magnificent job and runs on coffee...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Use tactics. NOT technology... to keep you safe n the highway!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Use tactics. NOT technology... to keep you safe n the highway!
    Amen to that! The secret is to stay out of the blind spots whenever possible.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

The O.P. was not to advocate technology over tactics, but rather to point out possible deficiencies of some of the technology out there and to remind people of that. It is also to point out another area that the A.M.A. works for us.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

with you, but my statement was just more of a general admonition to use your own brain to keep you safe...

..Which in my case; means that I'm already dead!
    Last edited by Bob Denman; 04-14-2015 at 11:54 AM.
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Agreed, good advice.

Spyder Garage

I am not a fan of some of the new technology.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

I said sorta this in another thread when replying to Bob, but the nice thing about blind-spot monitoring (which I love, BTW) is that it tells you at a glance when it's NOT safe to go. Light's on, don't bother merging, plan an alternative course of action. Plus, there have been a number of times while driving that, even after my head check, impatient idiots have raced forward to my side, with the light alerting me at the last second to stop merging. It takes a second to do a headcheck, but stupid is instantaneous.

Additionally, in an emergency, if I absolutely have to swerve without a chance to turn my head away from the road, knowing that I can't swerve left but *might* be able to swerve right beats knowing nothing at all, i.e. BSM isn't something drivers should use in routine merging, but when things go south in an instant, even an imperfect technology gives you better odds than a coin flip.

Technology is best used as a ladder, not a crutch.
    Silver 2010 RS SE5: Triple Play, Taillight, Brightsides, Fender Tips, Easy Risers; Evo Sway Bar; Airhawk R & Beadrider; latch springs; Grab-On grips; Crampbuster; 24" Madstad smoke windshield & deflectors; N-R round bag & soft saddlebags; BRP handlebar bag; Throttlemeister; Spyderpops Missing Air Dam & Air Mgmt System; Rivco driver & passenger boards & pegs; ISCI parking brake extension; Ultimate Midrider Seat w/both backrests, Fox Racing Shocks, Yoshi R-77 exhaust and a whole lotta love!

Spyder Garage

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by akspyderman View Post

Ditto ! If the "cagers" learn to rely on this technology (my concern) and less on common sense and their eye balls...that could be an increased danger factor for smaller items like motorcycles and Spyders.

Ride defensively at all times and enjoy !
    Craig From Albany Oregon

Spyder Garage

A lot of this technology will just dummy up
    already bad, distracted car aimers

this posting has been vetted, scrubbed and endorsed by the
    committee for postings

Spyder Garage

Default Cagers are too dependant

Quote Originally Posted by akspyderman View Post

I too have read this article in the AMA magazine. Some would say technology is taking out the need for drivers to be responsible for their actions while driving. It was pointed out to me that in the 80s, when it was made mandatory for motorcycles headlight to be on at all times, to help drivers to see motorcyclists and give us an advantage to be seen. Then one day, someone comes up with this brilliant idea that day time lights in cars would make it safer for all drivers. He asked us, do you even notice the headlights anymore? Or have you become used to seeing them all the time that it is no longer a safety measure? The resounding answer was yes. As for the blind spot sensors, too many times I have watched other drivers merge with their mirrors only. Have they forget that their head is designed to swivel on their neck, to clear their blind spots. Sometimes I wonder if clearing your blind spot in taught in drivers education anymore, just use your mirrors and pray that no one is beside you?

Spyder Garage

All of this factory saftey stuff will not replace the most common defective part in the vehicle, the driver. A friend of mine in CA is aLaw Enforcement officer. One of their cruisers was hit at a crash scene with all kinds of red and blue blinking lights at night. Driver said, he did not see police car ????
    Oldmanzues
    Very Happy Spyder Owner

Very Active Member cognaccruiser's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Yup, now instead of saying "but officer, I didn't see them" they can say, " but officer, my car didn't tell me they were there".

As has been said, technology should be an assist, not a replacement for common sense, which isn't very common any more.

Gary
    States visited by Bike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Oldmanzues View Post
    All of this factory saftey stuff will not replace the most common defective part in the vehicle, the driver. A friend of mine in CA is aLaw Enforcement officer. One of their cruisers was hit at a crash scene with all kinds of red and blue blinking lights at night. Driver said, he did not see police car ????
    Oldmanzues
    No you are wrong
    Technology is coming for self driving cars
    So no driver needed
    So what will the police say in an accident
    which car is at fault and how will the car pay the ticket or repairs
    Now 2014 RT Limited Cognac
    Was 2008 GS SM5

Don Garbarino

Cup Holder
    GPS locking holder
    Mud flap