Spyder Garage

Default New trailer on the road finally

Finally got the new USA trailer ready for the road and some better weather for a trial run today. Hardly even know it is back there except is very visible in the mirrors. Took a little practice for backing it up but it tracks very well. Only part I had to get separately was the plug for the trailer. Can am will install a square 4 pin and the trailer came with a flat 4 pin. So found it on ebay and wired a short section with the different plugs on each end. Plugged it in and everything worked perfectily. Going to pull it to Fossil later this week. Curious how it might affect the fuel mileage. Without the trailer I get around 42 mpg with normal driving.

Spyder Garage

Default Good to hear..!!

looks like your about ready to hit the road for an extended trip. Pictures of your set up would be nice. Glad it all hooked up and worked for you..enjoy..
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Default First ride with trailer

Put over 200 miles on the trailer with 2 up riding. Dropped my mileage from about 42 to about 35 which is not bad but I have to admit that we were going a little slower than I normally ride. The trailer wasn't fully loaded but did have some clothes etc inside. This model is the small one of the USA trailers pull behind and I cannot imagine filling it up with clothes. The trailer tows very nice and backs up great as long as I go slowly. I was worried about the sun glare on the riders behind me but they said it wasn't bad at all. The whole trailer is the shiny aluminum diamond plate stuff. Really hurts your eyes if when stopped you walk up to it and the sun is bright and right on it. The riders behind me said no problem. We had nine riders on this ride and I was about 5th in line. Great ride. Will post pics of the setup when I can remember to take some of the bike and trailer together.

Spyder Garage

It's funny what you can find to put in your trailer. I have a spare wheel/tire for the trailer in mine & carry a wide assortment of tools and a service manual, cleaning supplies, oil bottles, etc. I installed the rails in the floor to help tie everything down. I also lay a blanket over everything to reduce rubbing damage on the inside of the trailer lid, plus give me something to lay on if I find I have to get on the ground to fix something.
    Mark & Mary Lou Lawson
    Snellville, GA USA
    '10 RT-S PE #0031
    '10 RT-622 Trailer
    '08 Yellow SM5 #2332
    '01 Black GL1800A Goldwing #0930

"Remember in the darkness what you have learned in the light." - Joe Bayly

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MarkLawson View Post
    It's funny what you can find to put in your trailer. I have a spare wheel/tire for the trailer in mine & carry a wide assortment of tools and a service manual, cleaning supplies, oil bottles, etc. I installed the rails in the floor to help tie everything down. I also lay a blanket over everything to reduce rubbing damage on the inside of the trailer lid, plus give me something to lay on if I find I have to get on the ground to fix something.

I did kinda the same thing with rails inside and divided that into smaller compartments to keep things from sliding around and then put a cargo net over it. Seems to work well so far. First trip (short one I was so glad) the few things I had inside slid all over. Guess that's how we learn sometimes. Like your idea of having a ground blanket. Invariably we have to get down or kneel down for something.

Spyder Garage

Default 2nd trip with the trailer.

Got the trailer out for a second trip today. Another 200 mile plus with it and no problems. Tows like it isn't there. Still a little shaky on backing up with it but as long as I go slow no problem and it drags the mileage down about 8mpg. Amazing how much stuff can be stored in the trailer. Also I thought the glare from the shiny metal would blind other drivers but that doesn't seem to be the case. The riders behind me say it is no problem. Yay.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Looks nice!