Very Active Member Roadster Renovations's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Clutch filter and cover

Got to thinking about doing the clutch filter service and I'm wondering if it would be practical to do the clutch at the same time. I think that the clutch is the weakest component n the power train. Anybody know how long they are supposed to last? Also trying to wrap my head around how a BUDS is needed to purge the air on a oil tank system. Sounds unnecessary to me. Maybe someone can show me what I am missing.....

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default CLUTCH

Doc, I think you have the 2014 RT.......and the Clutch and how it works was completely changed from what was on the 998 engine's. I think you if try and fix something that isn't broke you are asking for trouble.......So far I haven't heard of any wear issues on the new clutches and some have a lot more mileage than yours .................Unless of course you really want to .......just sayin.......Mike

Spyder Garage

Is not the clutch on the 1330 hydraulically actuated/controlled? Might that be why BUDS is needed?
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

Default Transmission filter...

that filter behind the clutch cover is the transmission filter. Make sure they have all the parts needed before you delve into it. As to durability to early to tell, this package is only a year old and none have had issues. So how long..?? At least a year BUDS is an amazing system and can operate the computers and most systems independantly. There are things that are best left to buds...have not seen a manual to see...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

I was on a long hill heading into Louisville on Saturday and traffic was bumper to bumper. It was moving from a dead stop to about 5 mph for about 25-30 feet, then stop and repeat. One of the worst possible scenarios for that type clutch. Taking off on a hill going up riding 2 up, only accelerating to just barely fully engage the clutch, then stop and repeat. The mechanic in me knows how this stuff works and there is no telling how much wear that caused. Took about 30 minutes to get to the top of the hill.
    As some of you already know, we are no 100 lb riders and I suspect the more weight the bike is loaded down, the more quickly that clutch will wear out.
    I remember so time ago that there was a thread cautioning riders to accelerate hard enough to quickly lock up the clutch. I guess some riders were have premature clutch wear from slipping the clutch on take-off.
    My thinking about this is that if the cover has to come off to replace the trans filter, that clutch may be readily accessible. And if that is the case, replacing it then might be best choice rather than doing the filter and then later having to then do the clutch. I'll do more investigating on this when I have time.
    One thing I can guarantee you is that most dealers would rather not do both items at the same time as it would make them less money.

Spyder Garage

Looking at my manual I see it is accessed lower and is not part of the oil tank system. Guess we will just have to find out how long they are going to last! Wondering if it would be a good idea to take an oil sample from just that area to see what metal content is present to determine a baseline on wear?

Spyder Garage

Default 2014 Cluch

I believe your concerns are unfounded. The 2014 engine and transmission are a total redesign. The SE6 clutch is either engaged or disengaged by hydraulic pressure. Basically as I understand the description of the operation of the clutch from the service manual write up of the ACE 1330 engine/transmission there is any difference between the SM6 and the SE6 clutch set up except on the SM6 you the operator have to squeeze the clutch handle to disengage to clutch ( you manually controlling the clutch are more likely to cause clutch slippage ). The SE6 clutch is activated by hydraulic pressure on the piston that engages or dis-engages the clutch. The TCM computer sends a signal to a solenoid to operate the clutch piston. The SE6 clutch is totally different from the SE5 clutch in that the SE5 clutch was centrifugal which is solely dependent upon engine RPM to fully engage the clutch.
    Last edited by Doc - Riverside; 04-16-2015 at 07:42 AM.

Spyder Garage

Thanks for clarifying that!