Spyder Garage

Default Back Up Lights to Turn Signals on an RT

Has anyone converted the RT's back up lights to turn signals. I think if I just replace the clear bulbs with ambers like the turn signals, cut the wire going to the back up lights and splice it to the turn signals hot side I should double my turn signal output. Any problems with this or any suggestions. I don't think I really need backup lights and the turn signals could be brighter.

Spyder Garage

I believe that it's a federal requirement that any vehicle with a reverse gear must have reversing lights. Sorry, I can't quote chapter and verse, so you may want to check with your local DOT.
    George

2017 BMW R1200R

Spyder Garage

Default Why..!!

just curious as to why you would want to do this. You may run into nanny problem. if you want more turnsignals you could add them our sponsors have solutions for more lighting...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Back up at night in a dark area one time and you'll be glad you have those reverse lights.

Just say'n

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I really don't want to stifle creative thinking, but there's easier ways to do this...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Default Backup Lights

Shucks, I wish there was an easy way to have backup lights on my 2010 RT-622 trailer, now that I changed it to the 4 wire harness to hook up to my 2012 RT.

Right now I have red LED's in both the backup and turn signal sockets behind the clear lenses, but they only function as brake/turn signal lights. People behind me can sure see me when I step on the brakes, but I think backup lights on the trailer would be neat.

BTW, I recently I followed a stock RT pulling a 622 and realized that you can't even see the rear lights on the bike itself. IMHO, if you have an RT pulling a 622 trailer, you need to consider adding the Custom Dynamics HMT so you can be better seen from behind.

Mike in KY

Spyder Garage

Default Backup Lights

Thanks for all the replies. One of the people I ride with has a 2014 Limited and I noticed the rear turn signals are not very noticeable when the sun is hitting it from the back. Will explore other options to try to make them brighter. Thanks again.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Here's an idea... Taken from the mid-sixties European Volkswagens...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Default Now, I REALLY like that!!!

I saw an instructable on how to make a smart jacket and gloves that would flash the gloves when you signaled using your hands and arms.

I use hand signals when I ride with a group of cyclists as extra precautions. Amazing how many cyclists dont know the "standard" hand signals.
    2020 RT Limited , Petrol Metallic Dark

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Here's an idea... Taken from the mid-sixties European Volkswagens...
    Also good for scaring the hell out of people at cross walks, or losing them to on coming traffic
    Very Happy Spyder Owner

Spyder Garage

As a couple have said, I would be concerned about nanny. Several sponsor have added brake turn lights. I have Tric Led on mine
    Oldmanzues
    Very Happy Spyder Owner

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

One person that we ride with replaced all rear bulbs with LED bulbs and no problems. They look a lot brighter
    He has a 2014 RT Limited in white

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by metman View Post
    Shucks, I wish there was an easy way to have backup lights on my 2010 RT-622 trailer, now that I changed it to the 4 wire harness to hook up to my 2012 RT.

Right now I have red LED's in both the backup and turn signal sockets behind the clear lenses, but they only function as brake/turn signal lights. People behind me can sure see me when I step on the brakes, but I think backup lights on the trailer would be neat.

BTW, I recently I followed a stock RT pulling a 622 and realized that you can't even see the rear lights on the bike itself. IMHO, if you have an RT pulling a 622 trailer, you need to consider adding the Custom Dynamics HMT so you can be better seen from behind.

Mike in KY
    That Custom Dynamics HMT should be an OEM standard item.

Spyder Garage

Default Additional turn signals

Some suppliers have LED turn signals for your mirrors. I just bought some amber LED stick on strips, attached them to the housing above and below the mirror and wired them into the stock wiring. Total cost under $20.00. This makes your signaling a lot more visible plus it makes very evident to you that your signals may not have canceled after a turn.

Spyder Garage

It's not terribly difficult. The wiring is all inside the trailer for it. You just need to put clear bulbs in the 2010 trailers clear portion of the tail light housing, but you do need to change the plug wiring. If you still have the original 9 wire cord on it and spliced on the 4 pin, you can change to a 6 pin and have reverse, yellow turn and red tail/brake.

If I remember after work I can track down my thread that show how I did it and paste the link in this one.

Quote Originally Posted by metman View Post

Mike in KY
    2017 Can Am Commander Limited
    2012 Cadillac CTS-V Black Diamond
    2020 F3 Limited Magma Red (miss the 2011 Viper red)
    2010 RT622 - Black

Spyder Garage

Start on post#4 I think in this thread to see what I did to make it all work.. http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...wiring-harness
    Last edited by jwulf74; 04-16-2015 at 08:56 AM.
    2017 Can Am Commander Limited
    2012 Cadillac CTS-V Black Diamond
    2020 F3 Limited Magma Red (miss the 2011 Viper red)
    2010 RT622 - Black

Spyder Garage

jwulf74,

Thanks for trying, but my '12 RT-S came with the 4 wire square plug on the bike and I then changed the trailer over to the 4 wire square harness, so your suggestions won't work for me.

Seems like sometime back I saw something about a remotely operated switch that when pressed would activate the backup lights on a 4 wire trailer. It might be more trouble than it's worth as the only way I'd want to try something like that is to tie into the reverse wiring circuit on the bike so the wireless remote only activated whenever the bike was actually in reverse.

My CRS would probably result in my running down the road with the trailer backup lights on if it was a manually operated switch that took brain power to make work.

Mike in KY