Spyder Garage

Default Daytona Bikeweek Lamonster Report

I'm a little late getting this out because my life has been somewhat of a whirlwind for the past few months. As some of you know I was given an F3 in September at the dealer show to customize for BRP and unveil in March at Bikeweek. (Video of Dealer Show) The unit didn't make it to my shop (Lamonster Garage) until November and because of the weather I had no time to ride it at all and it was all about getting the build done in time for the show. You can see the progress of the build here.
    Lamonster F3 Project "Triple Threat

So while I'm building a custom F3 I also got engaged to a lovely lady named Joan Wise. We knew each other since 2011 but didn't start talking to each other until Aug. of 2014. I was going through the "Big D" and she reached out to me as a friend. She is also a Spyder Lover who owns two Spyders, one 2013 RT and a 2011 RSS. She loves to ride and we found we had much in common. She was with me at the dealer show and we both had a chance to ride the new F3's together. We had a blast and I think that week is when we knew we had a lifetime of fun and adventure together. She loves both of her Spyders but really loved her RSS but after spending the day on a F3 she decided the RSS had to go to make room for a new F3. I got to tell you we had a blast that week.

So our friendship turned into a relationship and at our age we decided why wait when we both knew it was right. We made plans to get married while we were in Daytona. We had a preacher friend who is also a rider do the ceremony on the beach. By the way just yesterday he bought a new F3S. Pretty much all the folks at our wedding were Spyder people in one form or another and that was cool because it was the Spyder that brought us together.

I wound up having to trailer down to Daytona from Springfield MO because of the weather and the fact that I was bringing four F3's and one ST with me and all the stuff we needed to be gone for the three weeks on the road. I pretty much ride to every event but this year was not going to be a riding event. I was literately bolting on parts on my F3 the day we left in a ice storm. It all worked out for the best but my plans are to ride down next time.

So the F3 is kind of a big deal for BRP and it appeals to a broader age group and a somewhat different riding style. It's more of a hotrod/cruiser and was received as such in Daytona. The first couple of days I spent at the track with the demo crew and it was great to see the reaction of some of the V-Twin folks to the F3. It brought a cool factor and the more the riding ergonomics they were use to. This was the first time that anyone from BRP had seen "Triple Threat" and it was the first public viewing. I knew I loved it but wasn't sure if everyone else was going to like it. Turns out they loved it too and I think it showed what could be done to make it your own. As you know riding is just part of the experience, making it your own is another big part of it.

The rest of the week I spent at the front of the race track with the guys from Road Warriors. If you don't know anything about them and BRP's involvement with them you need to check out www.projectroadwarrior.org

It was great to see the reaction of folks young and old. I will say it was the younger generation that really took to the F3. I had quite a few sportbike riders go crazy over it and even had one outlaw biker say he would ride mine. Out of all the Spyders I've owned it was one of the most photographed Spyders I've owned. The only thing I was a little amazed about was the last four Spyders I've owned I did a wrap on and most folks thought it was paint and this time I did a killer paint job on it and most folks thought it was a wrap. I even had one guy argue with me telling me there was no way that was paint.

Guy from Japan loved the F3

For sure the Harley crowd loves the F3 but the kids on sportbikes are digging it too. One kid was 18 and went crazy over it and this kid is 23 and he just loved it. The younger generation think it's cool and that's a good thing.

For me 2015 Bikeweek will be an event I will never forget. I got to build a custom F3 for BRP and get married the same week to the love of my life and someone who I'll be racking up many miles on the Spyders together. The hard part for us will be deciding if we should ride two up on the RT or take the F3's out. It's a good problem to have.

Hanging out with old friends is one of the best parts of going to an event.

Spyder Garage

Was nice to see the machine, meet you and your, at the time, bride to be. Was a bit cold that day on the back side of the speedway.

No doubt that F3 you built is a head turner. Excited to hear more about it as you work with it further. Really excited to see how it runs once you start spraying it.

All the best for a long and happy forever with your girl.

PK

Very Active Member blacklightning's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Wow! Looks like you did really have a great time. I wish I could have been there, but other obligations got in the way. Although I have never met you, I seem like I know you. As I saw stated somewhere else here, I have been around from the Suzuki M109, to the F6B, and now I have a spyder. Maybe one day, we will get to meet and hang out. Either way, ride safe, and congrats.
    2021 RTL , brake pedal from "Web Boards" chalk white

Spyder Garage

What a head turner. The F3S that is. Ok, Joan is too. I love the classic fighter look. Puts me in mind of the P-51 and P-40. Hope to see it up close and personal some time.

USAF '69-'89 E7
    Thailand/Vietnam 1972
    Member: Royal Order of Rat Bastards

Spyder Garage

Default Congratulations..!!

on all of it.... where to start..you had no room to mention the other stuff on your plate..all I can say is congrats and thanks..!!
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

I might add I had to find us a house to live in so she could quit her job in TX and move out here. I found a house and bought it and she only got to see it for about an hour before we packed up and headed for Daytona.

Sent from my iPhone 5
    using Tapatalk

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

on the F-3 Build; it's a stunner!!
    And on finding someone to share it all with!
    The Best of Luck to you both!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default F3

Lamonster,
    Any modifications to the engine? What exhaust system is that? Hope to see you at Spyderfest.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Spyder Garage

to you and Joan Lamont!
    I wish you both all the best in the years & miles to come!

Lots of great pics and LOVE Triple Threat!
    2014 RT-Ltd , Cognac

Spyder Garage

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Bike meets are about meeting up with old friends and making new friends...

You've been fed by a fire hose on this meet, all the different things going on...

The 'Triple Threat' is awesome (can't wait to see it in person) but Miss Joan is beyond compare...

So happy for the both of you!
    Joy
    Very Happy Ryder...
    '09 Phantom and a '15 F3-S

If you don't slow down, they can't catch you..
    ​If you don't give up, they can't win.
    What a long strange journey its been.

Spyder Garage

Spyder Garage

Spyder Garage

Spyder Garage

Default Good Marriage

Quote Originally Posted by Lamonster View Post
    I might add I had to find us a house to live in so she could quit her job in TX and move out here. I found a house and bought it and she only got to see it for about an hour before we packed up and headed for Daytona.

Sent from my iPhone 5
    using Tapatalk
    Lamont, although I have never met you or Joan (I hope to some day) I want to congratulate and wish you both a wonderful, long, loving marriage! My wife and I have counseled couples prior to their marriages for years, and one thing we always try to impress on the couples is that marriage is not a 50-50 agreement, but it is a 100-100 one! Always give 100% no matter what, and you will find your happiness will last a lifetime.

PS - Proof that it works, we have been married going on 47 years!!

LEEB

2014 RT-S Pearl White - 'Miss Pearl'

Spyder Garage

How cool ---- not only the rally, but meeting your soul mate doing while doing what you love to do.....it can't get any better than that.
    I hope you'll be able to post more pictures of the rally soon.

See you and the Mrs. a SF !!!!!