Thread: hard steering

Spyder Garage

Default hard steering

Hi all looking for comments/help...took the 2011 RSS and the 2014 STL out for a long ride yesterday, the first in a while. After about 50 miles of curvy mountain roads my wife said her shoulders and arms were very tired. Her first real ride since open heart surgery 3 months ago I figured it was just fatigue. I swapped bikes with her as the RSS has always been a little easier to steer. OMG the woman is strong is all I can say, coming back from Sana Cruz to San Jose on hw 17 is a lot of high speed sweepers and it took way way more strength than I remember too drive this thing!!!! Gotta be something with the power steering but I have no idea what too check. Yes still under warranty but my local dealer stopped carrying them and hoping there's something simple I can check before having too travel too far. Help plz

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default IT SOUNDS LIKE

In the early models there was a recall on the power steering DPS ......Yours may be a fluke , but that is what it sounds like.......There is no power steering fluid ---- it's an electric motor.................and it's good it's still under warranty because it's expensive ...over $1000............Go to any dealer .....Mike

Spyder Garage

It may be too simplistic a question, and I dont mean to offend you, but did you check theair pressure in the tires? Poor tire pressure can dramatically affect handling.

Spyder Garage

Default Hard Steering

Check battery connections check battery could be bad. The DPS takes alot power. This happen to me changed the battery and all was well.

Spyder Garage

As posted above, tire pressures can make a big difference. The easiest route, sometimes is the answer. Hope it is not DPS issues.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Default thanks all

Ok I did the old kick the tire check before posting the above.....guess my foot needs calibration. Checked with a gauge and a whopping 11 psi in each front tire !!! Now at 20 and a half each it once again steers fine 😁