Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default 3/4 Vs Full Face Helmet

So I am gearing up to get my first Spyder. I am thinking a left over 2014 ST-Limited instead of a RT will be the way for me to go. But I need to get a new helmet. How you do feel about 3/4 vs full face helmets on spyders. My thinking is that full face is not as necessary on spyders. And one other challenge - does anyone know of a good company that makes a 4xl open face helment (with full shield)?

Spyder Garage

I have a Shoe January - Cruise. 3/4. I love it!!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by iGot2Fly View Post
    So I am gearing up to get my first Spyder. I am thinking a left over 2014 ST-Limited instead of a RT will be the way for me to go. But I need to get a new helmet. How you do feel about 3/4 vs full face helmets on spyders. My thinking is that full face is not as necessary on spyders. And one other challenge - does anyone know of a good company that makes a 4xl open face helmet (with full shield)?

It all comes down to how much of your face you want protected in an accident. Spyder riders are thrown from the bike in an accident too. I have seen what half and 3/4 helmets leave unprotected. You like eating through a straw? Is kissing or oral sex important to you...

Don't skimp on safety equipment. All the gear, all the time. Ride safe.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

Default Try this..!!

a modular helmet. 3/4 open full faced closed. I have ryden with no helmet for years, open face and full face and when I found the modular fell in love. Now I don't have big windsheild but those that do can give you an idea...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

It really is a very personal call. From a safety standpoint--the full face is the way to go.

From a comfort or style standpoint--that is another subject.

I have three full face Nolan helmets. The front goes up so that you are not having to wedge your head into it.

Of late, my last three helmets were 3/4 style. Nolan Modular versions. You can use them with or without the chin bar, with or without the faceplate, and they have a removable visor. I like mine without chin bar, I do use the pull down faceplate (wind makes my eyes water).

The stability of the will help you to avoid some bad things in crash situations...but don't count on the worst not happening. In any kind of an ejection incident, more safety equipment is better.

PS. I also wear Kevlar riding jeans when the weather is warm.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by akspyderman View Post
    It really is a very personal call. From a safety standpoint--the full face is the way to go.

From a comfort or style standpoint--that is another subject.

I have three full face Nolan helmets. The front goes up so that you are not having to wedge your head into it.

Of late, my last three helmets were 3/4 style. Nolan Modular versions. You can use them with or without the chin bar, with or without the faceplate, and they have a removable visor. I like mine without chin bar, I do use the pull down faceplate (wind makes my eyes water).

The stability of the will help you to avoid some bad things in crash situations...but don't count on the worst not happening. In any kind of an ejection incident, more safety equipment is better.

PS. I also wear Kevlar riding jeans when the weather is warm.
    Great points here - It sounds like a full face one may be the way to go. Yes, I really dislike wedging my head into the helmet, so maybe a 3/4 would work best for me. Has anyone actually ever heard of a 3/4 coming open on a crash?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jcthorne View Post
    It all comes down to how much of your face you want protected in an accident. Spyder riders are thrown from the bike in an accident too. I have seen what half and 3/4 helmets leave unprotected. You like eating through a straw? ...Don't skimp on safety equipment. All the gear, all the time. Ride safe.
    What he said!!!
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

Great points here - It sounds like a full face one may be the way to go. Yes, I really dislike wedging my head into the helmet, so maybe a 3/4 would work best for me. Has anyone actually ever heard of a 3/4 coming open on a crash?
    I recommend going to a dealer where you can try on helmets to make sure they are sized right for you. I of course am biased concerning the Nolan brand. If you have a dealer, they are worth looking at. Both the 100 series (full) and the 40 series (3/4 modular). Not cheap, but good stuff.

No posts that I know of that covered how helmets were damaged after crashes. Only a couple fatality's posted that I know of/remember and they were not members that we knew...so detailed information not posted.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

So I am gearing up to get my first Spyder. I am thinking a left over 2014 ST-Limited instead of a RT will be the way for me to go. But I need to get a new helmet. How you do feel about 3/4 vs full face helmets on spyders. My thinking is that full face is not as necessary on spyders. And one other challenge - does anyone know of a good company that makes a 4xl open face helment (with full shield)?
    Why do you need a 4XL?
    look at my post on the Fulmer helmet. They feel like they are sized 2X bigger.
    I could bearly get my head in most 2Xl and they're 2XL felt like a cavern it was so big
    Stefan

Very Active Member Orange Spyder Man's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

if you value your teeth... and the way you look now.. ... I might suggest full face helmet.. no matter how careful you are... an accident that is not your fault could cause you to slide down the highway... skin grafts start at $10,000.00 ...

osm
    Last edited by Orange Spyder Man; 04-09-2015 at 07:40 AM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I have a scorpion 500 full face helmet that is yellow/black that I really like. Coworkers tell me they see the helmet before the bike. It has removeabl /adjustable with air pump & washable/replaceble inner liner. Also has drop down sun visors. My wife has a 3/4 gmax helmet that has options of 3/4 face shield or just top visor. Also has drop down sun visor as well.

Spyder Garage

I value my old face. I have 3 modular (flip-up) ones where I can open the visor in stages to get air or when stopped or in very heavy slow traffic can flip it up for lots of air.

2 of them are HJC & the 3rd is a Nolan ( my favorite)
    2008 GS SM5, Full Moon Silver
    2007 Piaggio MP3 - 250cc

Spyder Garage

Full face
    Protection and noise

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ahh-cool View Post
    Why do you need a 4XL?
    look at my post on the Fulmer helmet. They feel like they are sized 2X bigger.
    I could bearly get my head in most 2Xl and they're 2XL felt like a cavern it was so big
    Stefan
    On a HJC , I am at a 4x,. I will look into the Flumer helmets.

Spyder Garage

Check out the Shark Evoline 3, great helmet, gives you the option of full face and the option to switch to 3/4 while riding if needed.

Spyder Garage

Full face...

I think Bob Denman posted a pic a while back that had the percentages of hits by location on a helmet... Surprisingly the chin area had a comparatively high hit rate.
    2017 Can Am Commander Limited
    2012 Cadillac CTS-V Black Diamond
    2020 F3 Limited Magma Red (miss the 2011 Viper red)
    2010 RT622 - Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by The-BigDog-30 View Post
    Check out the Shark Evoline 3, great helmet, gives you the option of full face and the option to switch to 3/4 while riding if needed.
    I have 2 Shark Evoline 3 helmets and love them
    It is the only modular helmet that the chin bar flips all the way to the back so in 3/4 helmet it is still balanced and you don't have a chin bar sticking up on top catching all the air like a sail
    Revzilla.com has a great return policy so you can exchange it at no cost if you get the wrong size
    Now 2014 RT Limited Cognac
    Was 2008 GS SM5

Don Garbarino

Cup Holder
    GPS locking holder
    Mud flap
    Modified KNOTT grill
    Phone holder and charger
    Trailer hitch
    Dual air horn
    Auxiliary fuse box with relays
    Heated clothing controller
    volt/oil pressure gauge
    Sequential signals in mirror
    Tri Axis Handle bars
    Baja Ron anti sway bar/heim links
    shorty antenna
    And many more

Spyder Garage

Default ATGATT

All The Gear All The Time. Having survived a series of wipe outs on two wheels and three(ah, atc's) and four wheelers I can say each time my brain bucket was very important. But unfortunately, the life changing injury I survived in 2001 devastated my brain. I ride a Spyder because it's the only bike I can. I went with a modular style helmet, ballistic pants, full protective boots and gloves and a hi vis armor jacket. Too much? Maybe. But it's the deal I made with myself and loved ones.
    As mentioned, go to a store and try different styles and manufacturers helmets to find the perfect fit. I like the ability to lift the chin portion when getting my helmet on, or when I have to talk to someone.
    IT IS, WHAT IT IS...

Spyder Garage

Default Measure that noggin

Use a soft tape and measure the circumference of your melon. Use that and do some research, online of course, to see what helmet size you are in different brands. It really comes down to the shape of your head. If you are like me, I have a long oval and a 2xl in a Shoei RF1100 and a 3xl in a Icon Airmada. I can't even get close to any neutral or round shaped helmets.

But full helmets no matter what... Been in an accident and that sucker saved my jaw from certain fractures.

Spyder Garage

Yes, the spyder is a safer ride, so I think and I hope that I am right, an accident will someone else's fault. That's why I have so many BRIGHT LEDs on the front of my bike.

BUT when you are flying through the air, controlling how you land might not be within your control. Like car/house insurance, its a waste of money until you need it.

I've sky dived without out a chute too many times when I was bulletproof. Today, I assume that if I am hit, I will be hurt, but I don't want my face spread across the roadway and still be alive.

One of the hardest decisions you'll ever face in life is choosing whether to walk away or try harder.

Spyder Garage

On my 4th white Nolan modular. This one is the new N104 evo. Love it. Yes try the helmets on first, but remember they should be too tight when new. The liner will compress and break in after a few rides. Look at a bunch of bikers after dark, and you will buy white.
    Roger

Spyder Garage

If you have an aftermarket pipe or plan on getting one that is louder than the norm then I recommend a good full face to help keep some of the noise out.

And safety wise you cannot beat the full face.

Very Active Member Pirate looks at --'s Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default I agree

Quote Originally Posted by JayBros View Post
    What he said!!!
    How much do you value your face. Think cheese on a cheese grater. The modulars are awful appealing. But lots of stuff to fly ar
    White 2013 Spyder RT Limited. BajaRon Swaybar, Custom Dynamic Third Brake Light. Ultimate Custom Black and White seat with driver and passenger back rest. Gloryder Led Wheel lights.Custom Dynamics Led Bright sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright sides.

2016 F3 Limited Intense Red Pearl. Lidlox, BRP Driver Back Rest, BRP Passenger Back Rest,Fog Lights, GPS, Signature Light! Custom Dynamics LED Bright Sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright Sides.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Personally; I enjoy chewing my food...

Attached Images Attached Images
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

I use a scorpion covertable, it has as jaw piece that is removable and a brim attachement that goes in its place. I agree it is a personal choice since the helmut are DOT approved. The lack of air behind the windshield is intolerable for me with a full face, in fact I switch to a half helmut in the summer. In the winter I ride with the jaw piece swung up unless it very cold or raining out. so, only about 5% of my riding is done full face.

I like the scorpion so much I have two, one that is always set up with the brim. I carry the small 1/2 or my 5/8 helmuts in the side bag for days when It gets too warm.

Are they as good as protection in a serious accident, likely not but I would rather quit riding then to be so safe I am in a cacoon of armor. I will live until I die but before I die I want to live, lol.