Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Lightbulb BajaRon Shock Adjuster install

Hello All,
    We installed the shock adjusters last week and really like the way they improved the ride. Without even cranking them up it raised the front of the Spyder 3/4 of an inch. Meg and I will start cranking them up 1 turn at a time to see how much difference it will make. So far with these and the sway bar we both really enjoy the way the Spyder handles. Less sway and lean and did not compromise the smooth ride of the Spyder.

These are the sockets we used to change the shocks. The right one is a socket on a breaker bar. We used this instead of the offset wrench Ron mentions in his detailed instructions. It worked so well we placed the nut in the socket on the breaker bar and was able to get the nut back on the bolt by the radiator hose, and this without any sticky tape. That is the hardest part of the install, getting that nut back on with the radiator hose blocking your view. But the socket worked great and we had both back in less then a minute (and no four letter words were uttered!). Meg did have to lift the bottom of each wheel like the instructions state to get the bottom shock bolt back in.

Be cautious when releasing the spring compressors. I had no issues compressing the springs, but rushed the releasing of one spring after both retainers were back on the top of the shock. I was rewarded by the compressor sliding around to the other side of the shock and cocking the spring. Had to release both compressors and recompress the spring to straighten out the spring. You must use a wrench to hold the lower compressor from spinning off like the instructions state!

Do yourself a favor, get the compressors Ron had specially machined for the job. My McPherson shock spring compressors would not fit between the shock and the spring. The Spyder has tiny little springs (but can still kill you if you do not respect them while compressed).

All in all it was an easy job that anybody can tackle. They look cool and work great. We look forward to loading up the frunk for trips and not having to worry about the front end bottoming out.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2015 RTL , Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Thanks for this update on the installation and initial ride review!

(Still waiting for mine to arrive... )
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Thanks for this update on the installation and initial ride review!

(Still waiting for mine to arrive... )
    Your welcome Bob. You will really like them, plenty of bang for the buck. I think of them as poor mans elka's, Lol
    2015 RTL , Red

Spyder Garage

Thanks for your insight on the adjusters.
    Got them on my wish list.
    2014 RT-Ltd , Cognac

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Oh...
    They also look AMAZING!!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Bob, are you folks talking about changing out the sway bar, heim joints and shocks? I don't know if you have done this or plan to do all of it. If others have done these mods, your comments please. I put Ron's sway bar on my 2011, but Mr. Cognac is stock....so far. Bob, as you know, money for upgrades and farckels is no problem now since the wife was promoted to second shift supervisor of saw maintenance at the sawmill. She did get a little testy when I got her a nice job stocking at Wal Mart on the first shift.....she just had enough time to come home, cook my supper, change clothes and get to the mill so I could trade for Mr. Cognac. Life is good.

I traded my 2014 RT for a 2017 Mr. White RT-S. I am George Lewis. I live two miles from Boerne, TX. I am 89, retired USAF and Sony Corp. I also have a GW MotorTrike. My email: scoot62@aol.com

SAVE THE CHUPACABRA
    If you have not been to Luckenbach, your journey is not complete.

Spyder Garage

My wife will only go to the garage to get her car out, so when I wrench it's a lonely job. I removed/replaced the springs using a motorcycle lift, and when it came time to install the bottom shock bolts I let the Spyder down with the opposite wheel on a 2x4 until it just touched, then place my car scissor jack under the front suspension and raised it up to line up the bolt holes. Worked like a charm and it's a one man/woman job.
    George

2017 BMW R1200R

Spyder Garage

Default Purpose

What exactly do the shock extensions do to improve the ride and sway? I'm always looking to improve the ride and handling but like to know why and how before writing the check. Secondly how long does this job take. How ever long it takes it will take me twice as long so I'm just wondering what to expect.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Cognac View Post
    Bob, are you folks talking about changing out the sway bar, heim joints and shocks? I don't know if you have done this or plan to do all of it. If others have done these mods, your comments please. I put Ron's sway bar on my 2011, but Mr. Cognac is stock....so far. Bob, as you know, money for upgrades and farckels is no problem now since the wife was promoted to second shift supervisor of saw maintenance at the sawmill. She did get a little testy when I got her a nice job stocking at Wal Mart on the first shift.....she just had enough time to come home, cook my supper, change clothes and get to the mill so I could trade for Mr. Cognac. Life is good.

Hi George,
    I am SOOOO glad to hear that your lovely Bride is still keeping you in the manner to which you've become accustomed....

I have NOT added Ron's Anti-Sway-Bar yet. (Just the Heim links!) I had changed my 2010 RT over completely with his bar, and a set of Elkas. In my opinion; the 2014 handles about 90% as well, with a much plusher ride. I'm going to try these adjuster first, and then decide about the bar.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Bob, I may leave Mr. Cognac stock for a while. He seems to be pretty good as is. I upped the pressure in the front tires which gives me a nice ride. The wife got a little upset when I suggested she tap her 401k so I could get a new truck to haul the new fishing boat I got her for Christmas. She said I should buy her a riding mower and forget the truck. I said "we only have seven acres of lawn and if you would sharpen the blade on your push mower more often, we would not need a rider..." Bob, I have had the old girl around over 56 years so you would think she would be a little more kind to me in my elder years.

I traded my 2014 RT for a 2017 Mr. White RT-S. I am George Lewis. I live two miles from Boerne, TX. I am 89, retired USAF and Sony Corp. I also have a GW MotorTrike. My email: scoot62@aol.com

SAVE THE CHUPACABRA

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Women can be a complete mystery; can't they?
    Perhaps you could buy her a real good sharpening file for those blades; you must have an anniversary coming up soon!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Three Products, Same Result??????

For the uninitated, do we now have 3 ways to achieve the same results with varying costs???????????
    1. BRP Quad Spring Spacers cut into 1" pieces
    2. DOC Humphries Spring Stiffeners
    3. Baja Ron's Shock Adjusters
    I'll apologize up front if this is a stupid question asked by a Spyder dummy.

Spyder Garage

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Cognac View Post
    Bob, I may leave Mr. Cognac stock for a while. He seems to be pretty good as is. I upped the pressure in the front tires which gives me a nice ride. The wife got a little upset when I suggested she tap her 401k so I could get a new truck to haul the new fishing boat I got her for Christmas. She said I should buy her a riding mower and forget the truck. I said "we only have seven acres of lawn and if you would sharpen the blade on your push mower more often, we would not need a rider..." Bob, I have had the old girl around over 56 years so you would think she would be a little more kind to me in my elder years.

George,
    If you don't mind me asking, what tire pressure are you running? I am running about a pound higher in the front and rear then the sticker under the seat says. I noticed from a photo we took the front tire does seem to squat quite a bit. I ride 2 up all the time so the bar and adjuster made a difference for us.

Well, I have some catching up to do, been married for 35. She might not be working right now, but She LOVES to help work on the Spyder!
    2015 RTL , Red

Spyder Garage

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by MikeT View Post
    For the uninitated, do we now have 3 ways to achieve the same results with varying costs???????????
    1. BRP Quad Spring Spacers cut into 1" pieces
    2. DOC Humphries Spring Stiffeners
    3. Baja Ron's Shock Adjusters
    I'll apologize up front if this is a stupid question asked by a Spyder dummy.
    Well, if you want to easily tune the front suspension, Ron's shock adjusters got the others beat. Ron supplies a tool and you just snap it into the hole in the adjuster and turn. You do not even have to jack the Spyder up to adjust them. If you know exactly what tension you need the other products will probably work fine.
    2015 RTL , Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderCruiser View Post
    George,
    If you don't mind me asking, what tire pressure are you running? I am running about a pound higher in the front and rear then the sticker under the seat says. I noticed from a photo we took the front tire does seem to squat quite a bit. I ride 2 up all the time so the bar and adjuster made a difference for us.

Well, I have some catching up to do, been married for 35. She might not be working right now, but She LOVES to help work on the Spyder!
    I ride solo. My wife no longer rides so I put 25 in the front and 30 in the rear. Some will argue, but you do what is best for you. Try 25, ride a few miles and let out 1-2 pounds until you fine YOUR sweet spot....riding two up, your weights, etc will effect the handling of your scoot. I ride the hill country in southwest Texas and these pressures suit my riding style.....some of my younger (65-75) retired military friends say I ride a little too fast for an old guy....I say, you die quicker at 70 than you do at 60.....

SAVE THE CHUPACABRA

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Women can be a complete mystery; can't they?
    Perhaps you could buy her a real good sharpening file for those blades; you must have an anniversary coming up soon!
    Bob, at no small expense I have a bench grinder so she can sharpen the mower blade and her axe. For our 57th anniversary, I was thinking of a nice chain saw. We have two+ acres of woods and lots of trimming is needed. Additionally, I was thinking of a trailer she could pull behind her riding mower to carry gravel to repair our drive...it is 650' long and does need certain maintenance.....She has been begging me for a nice high grade paint sprayer so she can keep our two barns looking good. They are both 30x40 and the old girl gets worn out painting them with a brush. Maybe for Christmas......

SAVE THE CHUPACABRA

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

You are such a PRINCE!!
    I hope that she's aware of just how lucky she is!

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Hi George,
    I am SOOOO glad to hear that your lovely Bride is still keeping you in the manner to which you've become accustomed....

I have NOT added Ron's Anti-Sway-Bar yet. (Just the Heim links!) I had changed my 2010 RT over completely with his bar, and a set of Elkas. In my opinion; the 2014 handles about 90% as well, with a much plusher ride. I'm going to try these adjuster first, and then decide about the bar.
    Hey Bob...when do you think you will be putting the adjusters on??? I would like to hear from someone who has just put the adjusters on and not the sway bar...e.g. on a 2014-15

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

They haven't made it to my Post Office Box yet...
    Once they do; I'll be scheduling a visit to Ron Netzley's , for a new rear tire, and some creative parts replacing up front!

Spyder Garage

Default elka shocks

[QUOTE=Utah Geezer;958882]What exactly do the shock extensions do to improve the ride and sway? I'm always looking to improve the ride and handling but like to know why and how before writing the check. Secondly how long does this job take. How ever long it takes it will take me twice as long so I'm just wondering what to expect.[/QU Hello: Utah Old Geezer The elka shocks help a lot in cornnering, also they stop a lot of wandering in the wind, over all the make for a lot more enjoyable ride. What year and model do you have? I have a set of elka stage 1+3 I Kept off my 2012 RT, when I traded for a new 2014. They have 6000 miles on them, like new. Cost 799.00 I would sell for 600.00 Shipped anywhere in U.S. My Phone # is 636 357 6423 Thanks PS. I am 78years young, It took me less than 30 min. to take them off. Very easy Job, By the way I am selling because they will not work on 2014, one inch too short.

Spyder Garage

Default Screwed

That sounded good but I'm screwed too. I just bought a new 2014 RTL also. Thanks for thinking of me though. Are you going to put Elka's on the new machine?

[QUOTE=modagwood;961177]
    Quote Originally Posted by Utah Geezer View Post
    What exactly do the shock extensions do to improve the ride and sway? I'm always looking to improve the ride and handling but like to know why and how before writing the check. Secondly how long does this job take. How ever long it takes it will take me twice as long so I'm just wondering what to expect.[/QU Hello: Utah Old Geezer The elka shocks help a lot in cornnering, also they stop a lot of wandering in the wind, over all the make for a lot more enjoyable ride. What year and model do you have? I have a set of elka stage 1+3 I Kept off my 2012 RT, when I traded for a new 2014. They have 6000 miles on them, like new. Cost 799.00 I would sell for 600.00 Shipped anywhere in U.S. My Phone # is 636 357 6423 Thanks PS. I am 78years young, It took me less than 30 min. to take them off. Very easy Job, By the way I am selling because they will not work on 2014, one inch too short.

Spyder Garage

Hi all. Just finished installing suspension units. Noticed mentioned in earlier posts assistance was needed lifting wheel so button of shock could be refitted. I found by removing the wheel life all the sudden became so much easier. More room to move around and was a simple task refitting bottom fixing bolt.

Spyder Garage

What does it take to install Ron's adjusters? I've never taken the springs off before.

Floor jack, I assume? Any Tupperware removal? How difficult a job?

Any advice for us non-technical DIY'ers?
    Last edited by sjcpanther; 07-19-2015 at 09:14 AM.
    2014 Cognac Spyder RT-S SM6, purchased July 8, 2015
    Rivco Flag Holders
    Eduo Innovations SRT Clear/Stainless Cup Holder
    Lamonster Spyder Decals
    Inspector Gadget Driver Floorboards and Heel-Toe Shifter
    Sena SPH10H-FM Headset for Half-Helmet
    Hopnel 1500 Front Trunk Liner
    BRP Trailer Hitch and Control Module
    2014 Escape Trailer (Black and Diamond) from 1 Motorcycle Trailers

2012 Magnesium Spyder RT SM5, sold on July 8, 2015

Spyder Garage

Thumbs up Next Mod????

Shock adjusters are the next mod. Not sure which one of the three choices I'll go with. Could there be much difference once dialed in???

Kaos
    Kaos----- Gone but not forgotten.

2014 RTS in Circuit Yellow, farkle-ing addiction down to once every few months. ECU FLASH IS GREAT.
    2014 RTS , Circuit Yellow

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I stayed with Silver , and didn't add the decals...
    They look like an excellent OEM piece, and the Missus never even noticed them!