Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default The Eagle has landed

Picked up my 014 ST Limited on Fri. evening and the ride home was interesting to say the least. After 40 years of riding motorcycle with many many track days under my belt it was/is very hard to stop counter-steering. Sat I put 150 miles on it and it took about 100 miles to start to get the joke on how to ride this thing and on Sunday put 163 miles and by then it was really settling in. It's amazing to me that even the slightest input into the bars will make it react and sometimes it's quite a reaction so one must figure out just the right amount of input into the bars it takes in different situations. Any way I have much time to figure it's likes and dislikes in the handling department but so far it's growing on me in a HUGE way and it's a sweet machine.
    I put the BajaRon sway-bar and the SmooothSpyder backrest on yesterday and heading out in a bit to give it a run. Only 43 degrees at the moment so this old fool will wait till the temps jump up a bit....lol

Some people are like Slinkies good for nothing but fun when tossed down the stairs

Spyder Garage

Default Spyder

Congratulations on your new Spyder and a big "2 thumbs up" !!
    Tip
    [SIGPIC]

Spyder Garage

....and we're gonna ride, we're gonna ride.....

ride like the one-eyed Jack of Diamonds, with
    the devil close behind,.....we're gonna ride....

2008 GS.....PE # 2888

Spyder Garage

Default Congrats

Quote Originally Posted by mrwog View Post
    Picked up my 014 ST Limited on Fri. evening and the ride home was interesting to say the least. After 40 years of riding motorcycle with many many track days under my belt it was/is very hard to stop counter-steering. Sat I put 150 miles on it and it took about 100 miles to start to get the joke on how to ride this thing and on Sunday put 163 miles and by then it was really settling in. It's amazing to me that even the slightest input into the bars will make it react and sometimes it's quite a reaction so one must figure out just the right amount of input into the bars it takes in different situations. Any way I have much time to figure it's likes and dislikes in the handling department but so far it's growing on me in a HUGE way and it's a sweet machine.
    I put the BajaRon sway-bar and the SmooothSpyder backrest on yesterday and heading out in a bit to give it a run. Only 43 degrees at the moment so this old fool will wait till the temps jump up a bit....lol

Congratulations on the new Spyder. I too am going through this learning curve and slowly getting there. I still loved my Harley and Goldwing but had to realize that I could no long handle the weight comfortably.
    American by Birth, Southern by the Grace of GOD.

The Older I get the Better I Was.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Congratulations on your new spyder ST

Spyder Garage

Default Congratulations..!!

that is one sweet machine... your going to be happy with the change in handling with BajaRons swaybar. Once you get comfortable and relaxed you will be doubling that mileage....
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

with all of the above.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Chupaca View Post
    that is one sweet machine... your going to be happy with the change in handling with BajaRons swaybar. Once you get comfortable and relaxed you will be doubling that mileage....
    All my secret roads in the hinterlands are destroyed from this winter so I'm stuck for now doing more open roads for now with less damage.
    Some people are like Slinkies good for nothing but fun when tossed down the stairs

Spyder Garage

What are your thoughts on the new sway bar?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by pwpalmbay View Post
    What are your thoughts on the new sway bar?
    Heading out now for the test run I'll let you know later today.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default new ride

That's a beautiful bike, enjoy!

Spyder Garage

They quicker you release the death grip on the handlebars the more control you will have. Enjoy the new ride

Cruzr Joe
    2018 F3 Limited, BRP Driver Backrest, Spyderpops Lighted Bump Skid, Dual Spyclops Light, Mirror Turn Signals, Laser Alignment, Engine LEDs, Fog Lights With Halo's, Cushion Handgrips, BRT LEDs, and Under Lighting, Lamonster IPS, (with Clock), F4 25" Vented Windshield with Wings, Airhawk "R" Cushions. Position 4 Brake setting, Short reach Handlebars, Dash Mounted Voltmeter and 12 Volt Plug. Set of 3rd pegs. Extended Passenger Seat. Exterior BRP Connect setup, Ultimate Trailer

Spyder Garage

Welcome to "de club"!

Jack
    All my life I wanted to be somebody, now I realize I should have been more specific.
    2019 Specialized E-Bike COMO 2.0
    2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
    2018 Tiffin Phaeton 37BH Motorhome
    2015 BMW R1200R LC
    2014 RTL SE6 Pearl White
    2012 RT-622 trailer viper red
    2014 Look 7x12 motorcycle trailer silver and black
    2011 Polaris Ranger green
    2013 GMC Yukon Denali XL silver oak
    2016 Can Am Maverick

...in the pink (Girls On Spyders) flamingobabe's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Congrats on the new ST....you going to love it

#IamARyder #RideASpyder #CanAmSpyder

Spyder Garage

Welcome!

I had similar issues with the Spyder when I first rode one. I did a Can-Am demo ride in 2010. Had no problem with the obstacle course that BRP setup to "test" you before going out on the road. Once on the road (Lake Lanier Islands Park, north of Atlanta, GA), my lizard brain kept yelling "COUNTER STEER." Well, the hands would counter steer then the rest of the brain would say, "gee, we are headed the wrong way, steer the other way" Needless to say, I had a severe Rider Induced Wobble going on. Got off the RT and said that I hated it.

Two years later, I purchased a sidecar rig in an attempt to get SWMBO out on the road as her hip was in need of replacement and she did not feel safe on two wheel (hip pain affected ability to mount bike, hold it up, and to engage the rear brake). She like the sidecar but found it wasn't the same. She, too, had tested the RT in 2010 but she had liked the ride so we started looking for a spyder last summer.

She bought her RTLtd 3 weeks before she had her hip replaced. I did the test ride and rode it home from the dealer. The sidecar training directly correlated to the spyder. Steer, don't counter steer. Loose grip to let the suspension do its job. Learn the pitfalls of an off camber, right hand turn, though, with the spyder, it's any off camber turn. The two items that don't translate well to the spyder are flying the chair and braking/acceleration dynamics.

The Do's and Dont's stickied at the top of the Gereral Sub-forum are very useful. If you would like or want a different approach, I would highly recommend the David Hough book "Driving a Sidecar Outfit." The book gives you much of the same info as does the Do/Don't thread, it just lays it out in a different sequence. The rig dynamics are a bit different but principles taught give you the same basis, retrain your brain to drive the rig and learn how it responds to different road conditions.

Oh, and welcome to the family.
    "If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to be a horrible warning." Catherine Aird

Spyder Garage

on your new ST. A beautiful looking . Looks like you are eating up that 500 mile "learning curve."

The lighter your grip, the more control you will seem to have. I tell others to pretend there are eggs between your gloves and the handgrips. Do not break the eggs. Push/pull works nicely on turns.

Cornering tip: For less "g's," plant the foot (on peg or floorboard) on the outside of the turn, grip the tank with your knees, and lean slightly into the turn. It is amazing how the "g's" will just seem to go away.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

For me at about 1500 miles I found the sweet spot

After 46 years two wheeling it was tough

Thought cruise was worthless
    Couldnt get a drink of water
    & was a bit stressful

All that is in the past
    Even the (first five mil) jitters are gone if u kno what I mean vern

Spyder Garage

I put another 88 miles on today and did much testing with rider technique. Baja sway bar was a good improvement and probably better as I figure this thing out. I did notice using my knee for support in the corners helped and lightning up my grip and also relaxing my shoulders and dropping my arms down helped allot instead of having my arms out straight and leaning forward as Im use to on my bikes. Lots of motorcycle habits need to be deleted from my brain for sure and I'll have it figured out in short order as its better each time out.

Spyder Garage

Now dig your knees in on the curves and have a ball!
    If I can't fix it, I will fix it so no one can fix it. Sypder Loco!

Very Active Member stormtrooper's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

& Good luck with your new toy

2014 RT-S SE6 Pearl White

Grip Puppies, 12 volt power outlet, BRP comfort seat, Tri-Axis adjustable handlebars, BajaRons sway bar & links, Spyderpops Bump Skid w/Inlaid LED's & Stainless steel Kott grilles,SmoothSpyder belt tensioner,Carbon fiber dipped wind deflectors,Lamonster NBV highway brackets,Lamonster cat delete pipe,

Spyder Garage

Congrads on the new Spyder

Looks like we have Sisters !

Enjoy the ride and keep the shiny side up ! If you get a chance can you post a photo of the backrest and where did you get it ?

Thanks !

Sister:
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Craig From Albany Oregon

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by WEB-WVR View Post
    Congrads on the new Spyder

Looks like we have Sisters !

Enjoy the ride and keep the shiny side up ! If you get a chance can you post a photo of the backrest and where did you get it ?

Thanks !

Sister:
    Home page click on SmoothSpyders this is where I bought it

Spyder Garage

Another picture

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by mrwog View Post
    Another picture

That is pretty cool...works for the operator or a passenger ! Thanks for posting. Nice ride you have there !
    Craig From Albany Oregon

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

And you even picked the right color...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black