Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default 2010 Trunk Lid Piston

I need to replace the trunk lid piston on my 2010 RTS, the lid won't stay open anymore. Do you have to buy the Spyder part to replace it or is there a replacement you can buy at your local auto parts store of a 1/3 of the price? Thanks

Spyder Garage

Default Depends..!

If auto parts don't have that size you will find them online...cheapcycleparts.com has better prices maybe not as good as online...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

To help a little more... NONE of the gas shocks on the Spyder are unique to BRP.

You can get them almost anywhere especially the one under the seat. However the trunk can be tricky due to how short it is. Not all auto parts place may carry it and they will ask you what "car" it is from.

I wish I had documented this when I went through it but pretty sure the one for the trunk was from some small cross over rear window lid. The guy at Auto Zone did a bunch of leg work by looking and finding me the same length one.
    Sorry I just did not right down the car replacement model and part #

Anyway to remove the gas shock please do not tear up the release spring clip. Here is my video for how to remove any gas shock.

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black
    Bought June 2013 with 450 miles. 27K on 8-1-2017.
    Farkles - DIY Trunk Break Light, HMT Break Light, DIY Mirror Turn Signal Lights, DIY Bluetooth Dongle, DIY iPod Setup, DIY Alarm System Install, Show Chrome front fender / rear saddle bag lights, 4th break light around the trunk, Vented Windshield, Baja Ron Sway Bar, DIY GPS setup, Smooth Spyder, BRP Chrome Mirrors, Adjustable deflectors, Triaxis handlebars, NVB Pegs, Bad Boy Airhorn... More to come
    2011 RT-S SM5 , Baja Ron Black

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default THESE GUYS HAVE EVERYTHING

Try McMasterCarr.COM------also good for almost anything you can think of ......really..............I bought some re-placement bolts for the Spyder ....not torx but METRIC HEX with a permanent washer attached so it has a large head similar to the OEM - BRP Panel bolts ........I think it was 10 for $ 6.00....Mike
    Last edited by BLUEKNIGHT911; 04-08-2015 at 08:47 AM.