Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by aeroshots View Post
    This is more enjoyable that I first thought, thanks.

OP what say you?
    I say, thank you, that's the purpose of this discussion.

As to the answer, some of you are correct, and others are not.
    I won't end the thread prematurely.
    If this thread remains active, the answer will be revealed at Spyder Quest in September of 2015.
    Provided, of course, that I have enough beer.............................................. ........
    If it ain't broke, don't break it.
    IBA #47122
    2020 RT Limited Asphalt Grey

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

This was a heckuva lot more fun, than I originally thought...

Thanks!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ARCTIC View Post
    I wonder how many forums have had this very same question asked and how many hours have been devoted to arguing about it.

It takes time to explain the laws of physics to those uneducated in the subject. They are not always easy concepts to understand. And this riddle tires to throw an irrelevant curve ball into the mix. Your answer may have explained it better than I did.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

But... Once in a while; the Pig DOES learn to whistle!

Spyder Garage

Attached Images Attached Images

this posting has been vetted, scrubbed and endorsed by the
    committee for postings

Spyder Garage

I hope this is technical enough for the Technicality Police.

I will watch this one. Don't feel like math this morning.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ThreeWheels View Post
    I say, thank you, that's the purpose of this discussion.

As to the answer, some of you are correct, and others are not.
    I won't end the thread prematurely.
    If this thread remains active, the answer will be revealed at Spyder Quest in September of 2015.
    Provided, of course, that I have enough beer.............................................. ........
    you and bridgett missed farkle bingo last year and that would be the perfect spot for the answer steve. ps. i won't ask where you and bridget were!

Spyder Garage

Default Yes and No

Not going to Spyderfest so I'll summarize my view and close with this.

Even if said plane requires forward motion to create lift, i.e. not VTO capable it will still take off. It will move forward due to its thrust being independent to its wheels. Again, the conveyer runway will match the rotation speed of the wheels into infinity or until the airplane reaches take off speed. Then airborne.

If the conveyer were successful in its attempt to keep the plane motionless, then grounded I say, GROUNDED. Unless of course the headwind were equal to the take off speed of said plane then the plane would hover above the conveyer and thumb its nose at said naughty conveyer runway for delaying its scheduled departure time and inconveniencing the passengers.

My personal conclusion is Yes and No.
    I'm 100% confident in my conclusion.

Spyder Garage

Arggg! Aeroshots, we posted at the same time, saying the same thing different ways. You said it better!

Leaving this in through...

Take a piece of lined paper and cut it in half lengthwise. Hold the paper under your lower lip and blow. That is the principle of lift which gets airplanes in the air and keeps them there.
    Last edited by Yazz; 04-07-2015 at 02:07 PM.
    Joy
    Very Happy Ryder...
    '09 Phantom and a '15 F3-S

If you don't slow down, they can't catch you..
    ​If you don't give up, they can't win.
    What a long strange journey its been.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Paper cut on my lower lip now...
    As I leak blood onto my collar; I'm left to ponder flight...

Attached Images Attached Images

Very Active Member ottawa-rider's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

The plane will take off when its AIRSPEED reaches what the pilot call V2 or take-off speed.

The speed of the conveyor or its direction will not affect the plane's ability to reach that speed since it is not attached to the conveyor.

As has been said above, the only force acting on the plane is from the thrust of its prop or jet engine.

The only impact of the counter rotating conveyor will be a small amount of friction.
    2018 RT LTD , Black

Very Active Member ottawa-rider's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Seems like we are all tripping over each other trying to say the same thing.
    2018 RT LTD , Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jcthorne View Post
    The counter direction conveyer has no effect once the engines are providing enough thrust to overcome rolling resistance of the wheels. It cannot 'counter' the forward acceleration that is the direct effect of the rearward acceleration of the air through the engines. This is nothing like a car that uses the wheels to generate the forward thrust.

Absolutely correct! not a case of relative motion.. If the wheels were providing the propulsion then that would be a different story
    Jonny
    2013 Spyder RT Limited
    • TricLED 3rd and 4th Brake Light
    • Spyderpops Bumpskid with TricLED LED kit
    • GloRyder Wheel Lights
    • Spyderpops Missing Belt Guard
    • Corbin Arm Rests
    • TricLED Turn Signals

Spyder Garage

A plane is standing on a runway that can move (some sort of belt conveyer). The plane moves in one direction, while the conveyer moves in the opposite direction. This conveyer has a control system that tracks the plane speed and tunes the speed of the conveyer to be exactly the same (but in the opposite direction). Can the plane take off?"
    NO

Jack
    All my life I wanted to be somebody, now I realize I should have been more specific.
    2019 Specialized E-Bike COMO 2.0
    2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
    2018 Tiffin Phaeton 37BH Motorhome
    2015 BMW R1200R LC
    2014 RTL SE6 Pearl White
    2012 RT-622 trailer viper red
    2014 Look 7x12 motorcycle trailer silver and black
    2011 Polaris Ranger green
    2013 GMC Yukon Denali XL silver oak
    2016 Can Am Maverick

Spyder Garage

The airline will charge passengers a fee for the conveyor.

The aircraft will become airborne as long as the engine(s) provide enough reaction force, thrust, to overcome aircraft weight, thrust to weight ratio, and forward speed to provide wing lift. The overall effect of the conveyor is nil.

USAF '69-'89 E7
    Thailand/Vietnam 1972
    Member: Royal Order of Rat Bastards

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Let me see if this is the right way of looking at this...
    The Turbines are providing their thrust against the atmosphere...
    The conveyor is working against the speed attained by the wheels...

While there are opposing forces working hard; they're not opposing each other...
    It should (might, maybe, sort of, could...) take off; once the wings are providing enough lift...

I need some Aspirin, and a handgun!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Let me see if this is the right way of looking at this...
    The Turbines are providing their thrust against the atmosphere...
    The conveyor is working against the speed attained by the wheels...

While there are opposing forces working hard; they're not opposing each other...
    It should (might, maybe, sort of, could...) take off; once the wings are providing enough lift...

I need some Aspirin, and a handgun!
    Please fax me some Aspirin. I will see what else I can find.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

A plane is standing on a runway that can move (some sort of belt conveyer). The plane moves in one direction, while the conveyer moves in the opposite direction. This conveyer has a control system that tracks the plane speed and tunes the speed of the conveyer to be exactly the same (but in the opposite direction). Can the plane take off?"
    No or yes...

The conveyer belt is moving as fast backwards as the plane is moving forwards, which means the plane has it's engines spooled up but it's going nowhere.

The plane has to reach the proper airspeed to take off, not how fast the wheels are going, or the thrust output, but how much air is flowing over the wings.

Refer back to blowing on a piece of paper, make sure you have parental guidance.

This may be a trick question. Something about a light plane and strong headwinds, in that case, it can be done.
    Joy
    Very Happy Ryder...
    '09 Phantom and a '15 F3-S

If you don't slow down, they can't catch you..
    ​If you don't give up, they can't win.
    What a long strange journey its been.

Spyder Garage

I wish I'd gotten in on this earlier. But you guys have it nailed as it is airspeed, not ground speed that creates lift.

If takeoff speed is reached at 100 mph AIR SPEED, the plane could actually achieve liftoff at zero ground speed in a 100 mph wind. Of course it could not maintain it without forward thrust because once it left the ground the wind would begin to push it backwards (ground speed) which would reduce air speed to below the needed 100 mph to maintain sufficient lift to keep the plane in the air.

Very clever though. Pointing the reader to a ground speed question when the answer lies in the arena of air speed. I love it!
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Yazz View Post
    No or yes...

The conveyer belt is moving as fast backwards as the plane is moving forwards, which means the plane has it's engines spooled up but it's going nowhere.

The plane has to reach the proper airspeed to take off, not how fast the wheels are going, or the thrust output, but how much air is flowing over the wings.

Refer back to blowing on a piece of paper, make sure you have parental guidance.

This may be a trick question. Something about a light plane and strong headwinds, in that case, it can be done.
    Your first sentence contradicted itself. Either you say the plane is moving forward under power (correct) or you say it is NOT moving forward (incorrect for this scenario).

The air is flowing over the wings based on the aircraft's speed relative to the earth. And that is the same as without the conveyor. The conveyor is detached from the plane and does not act on it. Makes no difference HOW fast the conveyor belt is moving, it does not affect the speed of the plane.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

F=ma

Basic physics. If the aircraft is static, that is, no forward motion, then it remains static. However, if you add thrust or acceleration as a constant, then the aircraft will move forward because force is overcoming mass creating velocity. If that force is great enough and constant to overcome the mass (aircraft) then lift will be achieved. The only constant force acting to keep mass in place is gravity. Gravity acts in only one direction, down. By providing rearward thrust, the mass has to move forward, overcoming the downward acceleration of gravity.

If you are running on a treadmill, your mass is constant to the speed of the treadmill because the downward force of gravity is holding you in position so you don't move forward. Now, if someone comes from behind and pushes you forward with enough force to overcome gravity you will move forward (probably falling on your face) regardless of the speed of the treadmill. If you increase the speed of the treadmill, but don't increase your pace relative, force from the treadmill will propel you backwards because that force is great enough to overcome mass.
    Last edited by bruiser; 04-08-2015 at 10:46 AM.

USAF '69-'89 E7
    Thailand/Vietnam 1972
    Member: Royal Order of Rat Bastards

Spyder Garage

Turn the plane around on the runway. It will take off in half the time. Assuming the runway rolling direction is 1 way of course.
    2013 Mag Silver SE5 RT BahaRon Sway bar & Sway bar links, Grip Puppies, Kuryakyn Helmet locks , Ultimate Seat w/Utopia Backrest, Dash power outlet, Spyderpops BumpSkid, Swagman Cup holders, Full size Brake Pedal, Seal DLX Floorboards, Freeway Blaster horns, Sylvania Super Bright fender LEDs, Scotchlite 680 Rear & Fender Reflectors, BRP Fog Light Kit, LED Mirror turn signal strips, 2014 RT grille mod. Outlaw Laser Alignment

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jcthorne View Post
    Your first sentence contradicted itself. Either you say the plane is moving forward under power (correct) or you say it is NOT moving forward (incorrect for this scenario).

The air is flowing over the wings based on the aircraft's speed relative to the earth. And that is the same as without the conveyor. The conveyor is detached from the plane and does not act on it. Makes no difference HOW fast the conveyor belt is moving, it does not affect the speed of the plane.
    In the original scenario the plane speed = 0. The relative motion to the earth below the wing tips is 0
    2013 Mag Silver SE5 RT BahaRon Sway bar & Sway bar links, Grip Puppies, Kuryakyn Helmet locks , Ultimate Seat w/Utopia Backrest, Dash power outlet, Spyderpops BumpSkid, Swagman Cup holders, Full size Brake Pedal, Seal DLX Floorboards, Freeway Blaster horns, Sylvania Super Bright fender LEDs, Scotchlite 680 Rear & Fender Reflectors, BRP Fog Light Kit, LED Mirror turn signal strips, 2014 RT grille mod. Outlaw Laser Alignment

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Magdave View Post
    In the original scenario the plane speed = 0. The relative motion to the earth below the wing tips is 0
    The treadmill would instantly go to Infiniti mph as the plane pulled itself forward by the propeller as it overcame the initial pullback of the friction created by the wheel bearings beginning to spin. Not sure what kind of drag a greased axle could create but the treadmill would probably break at some point less than infinity and the tires and bearings on the plane might last longer than the treadmill. If BRP manufactured the treadmill it would overheat and go into limp mode long before it created issues for the airplanes tires
    Last edited by ARCTIC; 04-08-2015 at 11:54 AM.
    2017 Chevrolet Camaro SS convertible. 2017 GMC Sierra cc diesel. 2017 Arctic cat RR 137 ES

Spyder Garage

1. The plane will take off.
    2. The air speed and true ground speed will be the same.
    3. The conveyor will have to be almost as long as a runway.
    4. At lift off the conveyor will be moving at the lift off speed, of the plane, but the wheels will be spinning at 2X that speed.
    5. Of course the tires may blow or the wheel bearings seize, due to the heat generated by 2X normal rotation of the wheels. In which case, "Houston We Have A Problem".
    Roger
    Last edited by Explorer; 04-08-2015 at 02:07 PM.