Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "nanny"

Spyder Garage

Default "nanny"

I have a question for those more experienced with their spyders than I am. I came into a corner too fast and tried to steer through it, I was doing I thought ok until nanny kicked in. I must have lifted my inside tire because all of a sudden there is this very violent braking, enough to squeal the tires throttle went dead and the whole bike slewed sideways for a few feet and then power was restored to the throttle. Prior to all this I was in my own lane, when the above action was undertaken by the computer it forced me across the center line a small bit. Thankfully there was no oncoming traffic to contend with. Is the nanny always this abrupt and forceful when activated?? This certainly gets you attention when it happens. I'm sure it saved me from myself but wouldn't want that repeated every time she the (nanny) is awoken. Would appreciate others feedback.

Thanks

Al in Kalamazoo
    All the great movements in the world began with a cup of coffee!

2018 F3-T

My mods: Can am Trailer hitch, USB and 12 volt power outlets, Gustason windshield, Bead rider seat cushion, battery harness for electric gear and battery tender, Time out trailer.
    2018 F3-T , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

if it was that much nanny take over you were way out of controll;it only reacts to how fast you are trying to tak a cruve,so now you know you need to slow dowen a lot .ive had it a frew times but at a much milder rate.but i knew what had happened..

Spyder Garage

I haven't pissed it off enough to get it too apply the brakes yet , but it's constantly shutting down the throttle on me, usually when exiting a turn or pulling onto to a roadway while turning. I guess I just lean enough into the corner that I haven't hit it yet.

Spyder Garage

Default Round and round...

When solo ryding the nanny and I go round and round. She has never thrown me off course but does limit the fun factor at times. Generally brake, lugging the engine, when going to fast (to her) into turns and retarding the ignition (engine coughs chokes and sputters) when powering out at an unacceptable angle from a turn. But you will learn how to get around her a bit takes some practice and if you have a manual can still be wildly fun...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Would the weight of the rider when cornering ever play a part with setting off the nanny...say for instance take 1 bike and 2 riders 1 light and skinny the other heavy and not skinny..if both were to ride the spyder into the same corner say at an excessive speed setting off the nanny.. would the heavier guy set the nanny off sooner than the lighter guy..or does it purely work on the bike itself

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Weight specifically? No, there is no weight sensor. But more weight not properly positioned when cornering hard sure can. But that same weight can also work to one's advantage if positioned properly too.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Al, we're you on the brake at all through the curve?
    Because it can do this when riding tight corners hard. When you try to use the brake to load the weight to the front, but stay hard on the throttle to sweep the back out slightly sometimes the system freaks out. It takes a little touch to pull it off.

Spyder Garage

Handy tips to shush the Nanny:

1. "Lift and shift": move your butt on the seat to the inside of the turn, forward on the seat, push your head forward like you want to kiss the mirror, press your inside knee against the tank, and push off with your foot on the outside peg. Every little bit of weight on the inside wheel keeps that wheel on the ground and moving a little bit longer.

2. Jack up your stock suspension to be stiffer.

3. Invest in aftermarket shocks and a stiffer anti-sway bar.

4. Learn what the Nanny feels like, when it comes on, and in time, you'll come to *use* the Nanny instead of fighting it. For example, the Nanny hates off-camber curves-- the corner goes to the left, but the road is cambered to the right (common on mountain twisties where drainage is rudimentary). If you practice well enough, you'll learn to "read" the road angles and surface and steer the Spyder onto the flat parts of the road, or at best, put the inside wheel on a *lower* surface than the outside wheel, delaying when the Nanny engages.

Anyway, today I got hit by the Nanny something fierce, worst in a while-- but I knew why, it's all the crappy potholes and washboard around here after our winter, I had AWFUL lines around the good roads today. VERY frustrating, but once the roads get sealed up nice (AND I get some more practice in after lazy winter riding), I'll be back to rarely if ever hearing from my Nanny.
    Silver 2010 RS SE5: Triple Play, Taillight, Brightsides, Fender Tips, Easy Risers; Evo Sway Bar; Airhawk R & Beadrider; latch springs; Grab-On grips; Crampbuster; 24" Madstad smoke windshield & deflectors; N-R round bag & soft saddlebags; BRP handlebar bag; Throttlemeister; Spyderpops Missing Air Dam & Air Mgmt System; Rivco driver & passenger boards & pegs; ISCI parking brake extension; Ultimate Midrider Seat w/both backrests, Fox Racing Shocks, Yoshi R-77 exhaust and a whole lotta love!

Spyder Garage

There is a 'weight' sensor. It's called a passenger seat sensor. It does affect the VSS.

Normally the nanny isn't as aggressive as you descried. I've initiated a hard left turn where the inside front came off the ground and all nanny did was drop the rpm a little. I do drive a 2012 RTS SM5.

USAF '69-'89 E7
    Thailand/Vietnam 1972
    Member: Royal Order of Rat Bastards

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bruiser View Post
    There is a 'weight' sensor. It's called a passenger seat sensor. It does affect the VSS.

Normally the nanny isn't as aggressive as you descried. I've initiated a hard left turn where the inside front came off the ground and all nanny did was drop the rpm a little. I do drive a 2012 RTS SM5.
    I don't know if I would consider that a weight sensor really. More of a "presence" sensor....lol. Its just an on/off switch and only detects the presence of a passenger at the tail, nothing more. So 350lbs of rider it sees differently than 200lbs or rider + 100lbs of passenger even though its 50lbs less weight.

Personally, I run with that switch closed/activated all the time as I like the braking better. But that's me.....
    It does seem to modify vss and braking a bit. From what i can tell it does change braking slightly front to back and seems to be slightly more forgiving off camber......but what do I know....placebo effect??

Please, I recommend nobody modify any stock safety sensors on their spyder as to keep the forum police quiet.....thank you...[emoji8]

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

When I was on Hwy 3 between 36 and 299 coming home from SITR last summer Nanny kicked in several times. A couple of times I heard a tire squeal and I thought it was sliding going around the corner. The Spyder did dip to the outside some, as I recall, and throttle backed off. Later I decided that Nanny had hit the brake on the outside tire kind of hard and that's what caused the squeal. These were on corners signed at 15 or 20 mph and I went into them between 25 and 30. Here's a pic of a typical curve where Nanny kicked in, compliments of Google Street View.

Attached Images Attached Images

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Very Active Member Roadster Renovations's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I sometimes think that there should be a beginner and expert "nanny" setting. When I first started riding, I needed her at lot more than now. Oh, well, it IS kind of fun figuring out just what she will let you get away with.

Spyder Garage

Default Nanny

Just like a women to spoil all the fun
    Now 2014 RT Limited Cognac
    Was 2008 GS SM5

Don Garbarino

Cup Holder
    GPS locking holder
    Mud flap
    Modified KNOTT grill
    Phone holder and charger
    Trailer hitch
    Dual air horn
    Auxiliary fuse box with relays
    Heated clothing controller
    volt/oil pressure gauge
    Sequential signals in mirror
    Tri Axis Handle bars
    Baja Ron anti sway bar/heim links
    shorty antenna
    And many more

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I wonder if sometimes when a ryder thinks nanny is spoiling their fun, she is actually saving their butt?

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

For Nanny to have reacted like that; there's a whole lot more going on here, than we've been made aware of...

She saved your butt; be thankful for that!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Like Dave said..

Shift weight to the inside of the turn and you will blow through majority of the turns. And it is a lot more fun

Spyder Garage

Default No Nanny

I have over 11K miles on mt 2013 RTL and not had "nanny" kick in at any time.....but then I ride like an old man.....cause I am one....If she did kick it it
    probably would scare the h*$$ out of me.

Spyder Garage

I suspect that the nanny didn't send you off into a different path, but instead she surprised you so much that you reacted to her, and your reaction caused you to veer from your path. That happened to me the first few times the nanny "helped" out. Once I got used to the feeling of her stepping in, I didn't really react to her. Dave's advice is spot-on. The more mobile you are in the saddle, the less she seems to step in. She will step in more with a passenger on board. I'm not sure if she senses the weight, but I do know that she was very forceful when my husband was on the back seat vs my mom. He weighs nearly 100 pounds more than my mom, so... either she knows the weight, or the added weight affected the spyder enough that the nanny reacted differently.

Bottom line, you'll get used to her and you'll learn to work with her and keep her happy. You can still have just as much fun, but you may be hanging off the handlebars and saddle like a monkey while doing it.
    We now have His and Hers Spyders!
    Current Spyder: White 2015 F3-S SE6
    His Spyder: White 2015 F3 SE6

Previous Spyder: 2012 RT Limited SE5 -- 30,300 miles
    Previous rides: Kawasaki & Honda
    2015 F3 , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

Also, to add: EVERYBODY should set off their Nanny at least once to know how it feels when it happens.

My sure-fire way: full-lock donuts in a parking lot. Even shifted all the way to the inside, hanging off almost like I'm riding a sidecar hack, the fastest I can go is ~10-15 mph before the inside wheel lifts and the VSS kicks in.
    Silver 2010 RS SE5: Triple Play, Taillight, Brightsides, Fender Tips, Easy Risers; Evo Sway Bar; Airhawk R & Beadrider; latch springs; Grab-On grips; Crampbuster; 24" Madstad smoke windshield & deflectors; N-R round bag & soft saddlebags; BRP handlebar bag; Throttlemeister; Spyderpops Missing Air Dam & Air Mgmt System; Rivco driver & passenger boards & pegs; ISCI parking brake extension; Ultimate Midrider Seat w/both backrests, Fox Racing Shocks, Yoshi R-77 exhaust and a whole lotta love!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Make her show herself, to you...

Spyder Garage

It does sound a bit like maybe to fast for the curve and nanny started to feel the dynamics to shut down the problem. No criticism of speed here, it's your ride.

I always use push pull on curves, plant the outside foot, grab the tank with my knees, and lean slightly into the curve. This method really does diminish the "g" forces a lot.

I can take twisties with most. Have never awoke "nanny" there.

I got into hydroplaning two times (early on), and "nanny" saved me by taking control and avoiding my doing a 360. Was doing between 60 and 65 when I hit water deeper than appeared. And "Awaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyy we go!"

50 mph in water will avoid hydroplaning if you must venture out in rain that bad.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

I woke her up today testing the new BajaRon swaybar. All she did for me was cut the throttle very briefly. First time I've felt it. Pretty cool
    2016 RTS , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by DrewNJ View Post
    Al, we're you on the brake at all through the curve?
    Because it can do this when riding tight corners hard. When you try to use the brake to load the weight to the front, but stay hard on the throttle to sweep the back out slightly sometimes the system freaks out. It takes a little touch to pull it off.
    Thanks for the advise Drew, but no wasn't braking, but might have been on the throttle too early.
    Last edited by IGETAROUND; 04-07-2015 at 06:08 PM.

2018 F3-T

My mods: Can am Trailer hitch, USB and 12 volt power outlets, Gustason windshield, Bead rider seat cushion, battery harness for electric gear and battery tender, Time out trailer.
    2018 F3-T , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    For Nanny to have reacted like that; there's a whole lot more going on here, than we've been made aware of...

She saved your butt; be thankful for that!

Bob don't know what else to tell you; however you are correct she did save my bacon, that much I am certain of!!

2018 F3-T

2018 F3-T , Pearl White

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I wasn't meaning to accuse you of anything; just wondering out loud...