Spyder Garage

Default Shifting problem on 2012 Limited RT

All of a sudden I can't get the bike to shift into the gears and the paddle seems looser. Worked fine at first today then I can't get it past 3rd gear. RPM's ar staying high when it goes back to 1st gear on downshift. Help please!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Take a look at the shift linkages...
    ...They're down sort of underneath where you'd be changing the oil...
    (Underneath the bike; of course)
    Perhaps something has come loose?
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Default Few things to check...

Start with the oil level. Then the shift arm /linkage. Then the paddle shifter. Need to see if your getting any codes indicating shift sensor faults. Hope you tried the key walk in case of a glitch. Looking more like a paddle problem from the change in the feel of it...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

It does sound like shift linkage. Had the same symptoms when it happened to me one time.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Default re:shifting problem

Quote Originally Posted by akspyderman View Post
    It does sound like shift linkage. Had the same symptoms when it happened to me one time.
    Is it an easy fix?

Spyder Garage

I tried another ride and now can't get past 1st gear! Goes into 1st and reverse with no problems

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Have you taken a look under the bike yet?
    (We can't tell you what you're going to see; you need to do some eyeballin' for us...)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Hoagie View Post
    Is it an easy fix?
    Just reattach with screw/nut.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Default Problem resolved.....

All of a sudden I can't get the bike to shift into the gears and the paddle seems looser. Worked fine at first today then I can't get it past 3rd gear. RPM's ar staying high when it goes back to 1st gear on downshift. Help please!
    Took the Spyder to the dealership. They hooked it up to diagnostics. Couldn't find a problem. Tech took the bike out and said it shifted fine. Then I tried and took the rpms up higher and it shifted. BUT, then I also noticed the Cruise control was switched on. When I turned it off the bike shifted like before. I felt like an idiot but also found out something new. I wonder why they didn't know that the cruise control was a factor? Anyway, thanks to all who tried to help! Happy riding folks! John

Spyder Garage

Took the Spyder to the dealership. They hooked it up to diagnostics. Couldn't find a problem. Tech took the bike out and said it shifted fine. Then I tried and took the rpms up higher and it shifted. BUT, then I also noticed the Cruise control was switched on. When I turned it off the bike shifted like before. I felt like an idiot but also found out something new. I wonder why they didn't know that the cruise control was a factor? Anyway, thanks to all who tried to help! Happy riding folks! John
    I am not sure if cruise control has any effect on the shifting process. If you are running cruise control and shift either up or down, the cruise control will disengage. Cruise control on should not effect your ability to shift though.

I always leave cruise control on--on both 's. That way I am ready to kick it in whenever I want to. I live rural, so the highway is always a quarter mile away.

2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

I am not sure if cruise control has any effect on the shifting process. If you are running cruise control and shift either up or down, the cruise control will disengage. Cruise control on should not effect your ability to shift though. I always leave cruise control on--on both 's. That way I am ready to kick it in whenever I want to. I live rural, so the highway is always a quarter mile away.
    I don't have an answer for whether it does or not, but as soon as I disengaged it , I was able to shift at lower rpms again. Too many side streets around here to be gunning it way up in order to shift. Anyway, I am thankful it wasn't a mechanical problem...labor at the shop is $119 an hour! lol

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Glad to hear that you found the problem.
    It sounds as if you may have been just trying to shift a bit too early... it happens!!

Generally speaking; the 998-equipped bikes with the SE-5 transmission, like to be shifted at up around 5000 rpm or so.
    It allows the clutch to be fully engaged; no slippage means much longer clutch life!

Spyder Garage

Having the cruise control on should not have cause any of the symptoms you have described. Another possibility based on your description of how you drive at very low rpm's it is possible it was in trailer mode. it forces higher rpm shifts.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by billybovine View Post
    Having the cruise control on should not have cause any of the symptoms you have described. Another possibility based on your description of how you drive at very low rpm's it is possible it was in trailer mode. it forces higher rpm shifts.
    Definitely not in trailer mode. I check the settings often because it seems the auto volume likes to go off. I like it set at medium.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Glad to hear that you found the problem. It sounds as if you may have been just trying to shift a bit too early... it happens!! Generally speaking; the 998-equipped bikes with the SE-5 transmission, like to be shifted at up around 5000 rpm or so.It allows the clutch to be fully engaged; no slippage means much longer clutch life!
    There are times I like to get on it a bit to get away from heavier traffic. lol I used to have a Honda VTX 1800 which had a lot of power. Just seemed strange to me that being in cruise control mode would affect the shifting. Maybe try it and see if it affects the way it shifts for u?

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

There are times I like to get on it a bit to get away from heavier traffic. lol I used to have a Honda VTX 1800 which had a lot of power. Just seemed strange to me that being in cruise control mode would affect the shifting. Maybe try it and see if it affects the way it shifts for u?
    Just ran into the issue the other day on my wife's 2011 RT-S. Tech said it has to be at least 3500 rpm to shift. They didn't charge me anything because I apparently amuse them from time to time.

Spyder Garage

Definitely not in trailer mode. I check the settings often because it seems the auto volume likes to go off. I like it set at medium.
    If you are loosing your radio settings it is because when you turn your key off and then turn it back on before it fully shuts down, for example when you forget to set the parking brake, some or all of your user setting will return to default. Settings that I have noticed will change are: Display of radio on main screen, auto volume, bass, treble and few others I can't think of at the moment.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by billybovine View Post
    If you are loosing your radio settings it is because when you turn your key off and then turn it back on before it fully shuts down, for example when you forget to set the parking brake, some or all of your user setting will return to default. Settings that I have noticed will change are: Display of radio on main screen, auto volume, bass, treble and few others I can't think of at the moment.
    Yes, I have done this when forgetting to set the brake. Thanks for that information! I will make sure I set the brake first now.

Spyder Garage

Default Shifting Problem

I'm currently experiencing the same problem and I thought it was a fuel flow problem, but when I took it to the shop and spoke with the lead mechanic he told me that it was a throttle linkage problem! That there are 5 computer on the bike and if one isn't communicating correctly with the others it throws them all off. I toll him that the only way I could get the bike to go into gear is if I retard the throttle, that's when he told me it's not fuel control it's throttle linkage going bad! I hope that helps you and gets you back on the road. I hope to be back on the road next week after I get my bike out of the shop.

2021 F3T-LTD , Light Blue

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by LeClaireRog View Post
    They didn't charge me anything because I apparently amuse them from time to time.
    Apparently we go to the same shop.
    ~Sandee~

~Sandee~
    2016 RT-L (Purchased used in February 2018)
    RT Dash Mount (from JT's Spyder Store)
    Kuryakin Trident Highway Pegs
    Hopnel Pouch
    Magic Mirrors
    Spyderpops Foam Handgrips
    Iron Butt #35273
    Girls on Spyders #2779

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

We just struck a similar problem with our 2010RT, my Wife and I were heading out on a 5hr road trip and got 100m up the road when my Wife exclaimed she couldn't change the gears!!
    It wasn't linkages it was the small springs in the Paddle shift, they had virtually disintegrated, these springs are about 6-7mm long and as I don't live close to a Can Am dealer I bought the smallest spring I could from an Auto parts shop; the spring was 15mm so I cut it in half and replaced the broken ones. Careful if you take the shifter apart it has small ball bearings which fly everywhere!! A couple of trial and error with getting the length correct and it now works better than before.So off we went on trip a few hours late. ON journey we stopped at a Can Am dealer and enquired about getting the correct springs and we were told they (BRP) don't sell them separately you have to buy the complete shifter which costs aprox $NZ1000.00 the springs I got cost $NZ5.00