Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default New Shocks AND BajaRon's New Shock Adjusters

I've always felt that my shocks were not doing the proper job for me. I did not know, until I recently discussed this with my dealer's service manager, that the first batches of shocks for the 2013 RT's were sub-standard. At some point, apparently early in the model year, they changed them for better shocks with more effective valving. So BRP agreed to replace mine under warranty. Since installation was included, this was the perfect time to also install BajaRon's new shock adjusters, which finally hit the market just last week. The new shocks with better valving has eliminated the porpoising (and occasional "bottoming out") I was experiencing. Ron's new shock adjusters, with their ability to adjust the compression of the springs, have raised my ride height by about 1.6", and has made a significant improvement to the quality and enjoy-ability of the ride. These adjusters have given me a firmer, more stable ride - especially in turns (just like Ron's initial testers have previously said).

I have to say that the combination of the beefed up BajaRon sway bar (which I added last year) AND the shock adjusters have improved My RT's handling and enjoy-ability to a degree I would have never thought possible. I cannot recommend these two products enough.

Here are some pictures of the shock adjusters. My dealer installed them at the same time as the new shocks, under warranty. So I had no labor charges to pay. They took the frunk off to do the installation. While that is not absolutely necessary, it does make the job significantly easier. As Ron just announced, he sells these in both red and silver. I like the looks of the red ones.

And here's the job all finished...

It was very windy on the way home from the dealer today, with occasional gusts in the high twenties. While I felt the wind on my upper body, the Spyder held the road like it was on rails. I am a happy Spyderlover!

Oh, AND I got to take out this F3 for a 40 minute ride while I was waiting at the shop. I had never ridden a Spyder with a manual transmission before today. It really did remind me of my "Cruiser Days".

All in all, it was a pretty good day.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by robmorg; 04-04-2015 at 08:10 PM.
    Rob
    2013 RT Limited
    My "Mods & Farkles" Link
    May ALL your roads be beautiful
    Greisemer's Mill Bridge, Oley, PA
    2013 RT Limited , Lava Bronze with Antler Brown Seat

Spyder Garage

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Rob,
    Thanks for the review!
    I've got my set on the way, and the installation instructions have already been received, printed, and read...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Rob,
    Thanks for the review!
    I've got my set on the way, and the installation instructions have already been received, printed, and read...
    You will notice a big difference, I think - especially in the turns and when riding 2-up. Keep in mind, though, that at the lowest settings (with the inner ring screwed all the way up inside) your ride height will likely not change to the degree mine did. I had REALLY lousy shocks to begin with. Since I replaced the shocks at the same time as adding the adjusters, I'll never know how bad the original ones really were.

Good luck with the installation. If my shop had not installed mine under warranty with the new shocks, and after seeing the job being done. I'm not sure I would not have installed these myself without taking the frunk off. Ron says it's possible (and that's what most of the instructions deal with) BUT, there is VERY little room under there to work with that frunk in the way. If you remove the frunk, the installation is a piece of cake.
    Last edited by robmorg; 04-06-2015 at 03:40 PM.
    Rob
    2013 RT Limited
    My "Mods & Farkles" Link

Spyder Garage

Default The man knows his stuff...

Tried and true. Anyone with the success of the BajaRon swaybar knows whats needed to improve handling. Thanks for the confirmation cause these are proof of a good product. Enjoy the new ryd.....
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Went out riding for several hours today on some back twisty hilly roads to get the feel of the new shock adjusters, and took my spanner wrench with me. For me 3½ full turns seems to be the perfect setting. I'm a rather big guy - the "sweet spot" for someone else may likely be different, depending on how your Spyder is loaded. All I can say is that these adjusters make a VERY nice difference.
    Rob
    2013 RT Limited
    My "Mods & Farkles" Link

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Rob,
    You're making me start to drool over the impending arrival of these babies...

Spyder Garage

.......Hang in there. Won't be long now.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I hope that you're right!!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by robmorg View Post
    Went out riding for several hours today on some back twisty hilly roads to get the feel of the new shock adjusters, and took my spanner wrench with me. For me 3½ full turns seems to be the perfect setting. I'm a rather big guy - the "sweet spot" for someone else may likely be different, depending on how your Spyder is loaded. All I can say is that these adjusters make a VERY nice difference.
    How many turns do they max-out at?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RBS66 View Post
    How many turns do they max-out at?
    Eight full turns is the most you can safely do. But it would be odd if anyone needed to use that many.
    Rob
    2013 RT Limited
    My "Mods & Farkles" Link

Spyder Garage

Eight full turns is the most you can safely do. But it would be odd if anyone needed to use that many.
    Thanks.

Spyder Garage

Hoping to find these and someone to do the install at Spyderfest. Tom
    Baloo is my name. Spyders are my game. Well, it's a doo-bah-dee-doo, yes, it's a doo-bah-dee-doo, I mean a doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee-dee-doo. And, well, now. Ha ha! What have we here?

2020 Petrol Blue Metallic RTL

Spyder Garage

Rob,
    You're making me start to drool over the impending arrival of these babies...
    .Hang in there. Won't be long now.
    I hope that you're right!!
    Not to Worry!

Last edited by BajaRon; 04-07-2015 at 02:08 PM.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Tango View Post
    Hoping to find these and someone to do the install at Spyderfest. Tom
    Hi Tom!
    I'm going to have Ron install mine, when he changes out my rear tire.
    I'll let you know when this happens, so that you can try them on for size...

Spyder Garage

Sounds good Bob. Tom
    Baloo is my name. Spyders are my game. Well, it's a doo-bah-dee-doo, yes, it's a doo-bah-dee-doo, I mean a doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee-dee-doo. And, well, now. Ha ha! What have we here?

2020 Petrol Blue Metallic RTL

Spyder Garage

Default From one of the test pilots,

As I was one of the "test pilots" testing the pre-production units, for Ron, I tried to use a lot of different loads by loading the spyder with tools and stuff to add weight (front and back), rode 2 up, changed settings, at random, many times to check them out. I have nothing but praise for them. I agree with everything you have experienced. For moderate loads 1 up I found 3 to 4 turns to be good for me. I also like the benefit of the better ground clearance for the front. I gained aprox. 5/8 inch with 3 maybe 3.5 turns. (mine is a 2014 RTS SE6) . As far as installing with the frunk in place, be patient, and have the suggested tools shown by Ron. We swapped out two different sets of the proto -type adjusters so after the 2nd set we pretty well had what we needed to get it done. I was going to remove the frunk but never did. As Ron said in the instructions, by lowering the wheels slightly to the ground the shock bolts will come out easily. You just find the sweet spot where the tension is off of the bolt. If you leave the wheels off of the ground the bolts still have a lot of tension on them. Just barely let the wheels touch the ground and you can rock the spyder to move the suspension a little and the bolts will come out easily.
    The adjusters will make a positive difference in the ride. Good Job Ron!
    Happy Spyderlovers

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Since our roads look like the target site for a successful bombing run; would you suggest more, or less preload?
    I would love a little bit more firmness, but I'm concerned about not allowing the suspension to soak up some of the nightmare that I'll be riding through.

Spyder Garage

Since our roads look like the target site for a successful bombing run; would you suggest more, or less preload?
    I would love a little bit more firmness, but I'm concerned about not allowing the suspension to soak up some of the nightmare that I'll be riding through.
    Good question Bob. My first reaction would be to soften up the suspension, front and rear. I think this would soften up the pothole before it gets to the rider. I know I do this on the rear shock when the wife is with me. She wants a softer ride and don't like the bumps. I would think it would be the same for the front pre load. When she is not with me I like to firm things up. Someone else may need to give an opinion that knows about spring tensions and so forth and how pre load affects the shock.
    Happy Spyderlovers

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Thanks!
    I've only touched down once on our roads... . It was enough to let me know that ground clearance is in short supply.
    Does this adjuster start out at the stock setting, and just ramp up the preload from there? If that's the case; I guess I'd start out a maybe two turns in, and see what happens.
    (Kind of looking for a starting point...)

Spyder Garage

Thanks!
    I've only touched down once on our roads... . It was enough to let me know that ground clearance is in short supply.
    Does this adjuster start out at the stock setting, and just ramp up the preload from there? If that's the case; I guess I'd start out a maybe two turns in, and see what happens.
    (Kind of looking for a starting point...)
    The Shock Adjusters start out at the stock spring pre-load. So you can always return to the OEM setting if you wish. I do suggest 2 full turns as a ball-park place to start. Everyone is going to have different needs and preferences on how they want their spring pre-load set. That's exactly why I made these.

Frankly, even I am a bit surprised at the amount of difference these adjusters make to the ride in several different aspects.

Experimentation is the best way to find your sweet spot. My feeling is that most will find that (X) number of turns is best when unloaded with 1 rider. And (x+) number of turns is best for 2 up and loaded.

If you are bottoming out now, you're probably going to want just a bit more ground clearance. With 2 turns you not only get a bit more ground clearance, but your Spyder will not dive as deeply into the potholes as before. So your functional 'Ground Clearance' is actually greater than just the amount of physical lift you get with the adjusters. This will also give you more stability and take the 'Mush' out of the suspension.

Too harsh? Just back off a turn or 2. Too soft? Just give the adjusters a turn or two in the other direction.

Sounds a bit like the Goldilocks Story....
    Last edited by BajaRon; 04-08-2015 at 08:33 AM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Got it!
    Thanks...

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post
    Not to Worry!

same here do I need an appointment at Spyderfest?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by archibald609 View Post
    same here do I need an appointment at Spyderfest?
    At this point I believe the only one that will be installing these Adjusters at Spyderfest is SpyderPops.

SpyderPops is a sponsor here. I suggest contacting him for details.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Do these affect the alignment of the spyder in anyway?
    Last edited by trikermutha; 04-10-2015 at 08:42 AM.