Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Spyder Garage

Default Question for Bob

I know I'm coming in late on this, but have you seen any vibration or out-of-balance issues on the tires with these mounted? Any rubber valve stem damage?

Thanks for all your research on this.

- Jeff

2014 RT Limited

BajaRon sway bar, Tri-axis handlebars, shorty AM/FM antenna, Custom Dynamics HMT brake light with flash, Rivco cell phone mount, Utopia backrest w/pouch, Two Brothers exhaust. Lidlox helmet holder, FOBO TPMS, Drink2Go cup holder, WGT LED mirror light strips, Squared Away laser alignment, Kuhmo Solus 175/55 front tires.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jcspyder View Post
    I know I'm coming in late on this, but have you seen any vibration or out-of-balance issues on the tires with these mounted? Any rubber valve stem damage?

Thanks for all your research on this.

- Jeff
    NO, no problems with them, love them on the bike, my trailer and my van.

One of the hardest decisions you'll ever face in life is choosing whether to walk away or try harder.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by pitzerwm View Post
    NO, no problems with them, love them on the bike, my trailer and my van.
    Thanks for the clarification. Sounds like they're worth having.

2014 RT Limited

BajaRon sway bar, Tri-axis handlebars, shorty AM/FM antenna, Custom Dynamics HMT brake light with flash, Rivco cell phone mount, Utopia backrest w/pouch, Two Brothers exhaust. Lidlox helmet holder, FOBO TPMS, Drink2Go cup holder, WGT LED mirror light strips, Squared Away laser alignment, Kuhmo Solus 175/55 front tires.

Spyder Garage

4,000 miles later for me and no issue at all. System works like a champ.

I was one of the first to put this system on a Spyder and have to say it's a knee saver if anything for having to get down on your knees, remove valve stem caps, and check pressure!

I would not hesitate putting this system on another Spyder.

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black
    Bought June 2013 with 450 miles. 27K on 8-1-2017.
    Farkles - DIY Trunk Break Light, HMT Break Light, DIY Mirror Turn Signal Lights, DIY Bluetooth Dongle, DIY iPod Setup, DIY Alarm System Install, Show Chrome front fender / rear saddle bag lights, 4th break light around the trunk, Vented Windshield, Baja Ron Sway Bar, DIY GPS setup, Smooth Spyder, BRP Chrome Mirrors, Adjustable deflectors, Triaxis handlebars, NVB Pegs, Bad Boy Airhorn... More to come
    2011 RT-S SM5 , Baja Ron Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by finless View Post
    4,000 miles later for me and no issue at all. System works like a champ.

I was one of the first to put this system on a Spyder and have to say it's a knee saver if anything for having to get down on your knees, remove valve stem caps, and check pressure!

I would not hesitate putting this system on another Spyder.

Bob
    Thanks. I'm looking into it. As long as you say it's reliable and accurate. Maintaining proper tire pressure is a huge stickler for me.

Pam

• 2015 RT-S Special Series / Red & Black
    • Baja Ron Sway Bar
    • Utopia Backrest
    • F4 Customs tall and wide vented windshield
    • Stebel Super Loud Air Horn
    • Baker Built Air Wings
    • LaMonster Highway Pegs
    • SpyderPops Exhaust Block Off Plate
    • SpyderPops KOTT Grill
    • SpyderPops Belt Guard
    • Cat Bypass
    • Laser Alignment by Squared Away
    • TricLED Fender Lights
    • General Altimax RT43 rear tire
    • Dual flag holder
    • Mud Flap
    • A$$hole seeking missile system

Spyder Garage

Spec say battery lasts up to 2 years.

Battery replacement is easy.

Bob
    My batteries are 6 months old and needs replacement, I replaced and in 3 weeks they are showing weakness, I am wondering where I can get better batteries, these came from Amazon.com

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by thereverend View Post
    My batteries are 6 months old and needs replacement, I replaced and in 3 weeks they are showing weakness, I am wondering where I can get better batteries, these came from Amazon.com
    With the latest software APP update that fixed the battery condition meters, mine are showing 1/2 way. They are a little over 6 months old.

As for batteries, it's real hit and miss lately with these watch batteries. Not sure why... Possibly cheap China junk?????

Maybe try a name brand like Ever ready or something? Make sure shelf date is very recent.

I am also going to investigate rechargeable versions.... Stay tuned.

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black
    Farkles - DIY Trunk Break Light, HMT Break Light, DIY Mirror Turn Signal Lights, DIY Bluetooth Dongle, DIY iPod Setup, DIY Alarm System Install, Show Chrome front fender / rear saddle bag lights, 4th break light around the trunk, Vented Windshield, Baja Ron Sway Bar, DIY GPS setup, Smooth Spyder, BRP Chrome Mirrors, Adjustable deflectors, Triaxis handlebars, NVB Pegs, Bad Boy Airhorn... More to come

Spyder Garage

A simple google search came up with CR 2032 rechargeable batteries and a charger.

I am going for this next!

http://www.batterymart.com/p-lir2032...UPiBoCqmLw_wcB

BOb
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black

Very Active Member OverHillAndDale's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I'm having a similar result with battery life. Mine are less than 6 months old and all 3 just slipped below the 4-bar level to the 2 and 3 bar level. My previous TPMS (Big Bike Parts) used batteries at a much slower rate, but I believe that they only broadcast when tire pressure changed. The Bluetooth method seems to broadcast much more often, and a new set of 3 batteries every 6 months or so isn't bad.

I agree with and will add to the other tips for extending battery life for this little batteries:
    • buy name brand batteries,
    • buy the freshest ones you can find,
    • don't handle the batteries with your bare fingers - use a tissue or gloves as oil from your fingers will reduce their life.

Incidentally, I bought a second set of two sensors for my motorcycle trailer. Don't want to have to worry about any of my tires at highway speeds.
    2020- RT Limited
    Chalk White, Can-Am rear passenger armrests, Comfort Seat, Grip puppies, RAM Cup Holders, Providence RAM Mount
    FOBO2 TPMS
    Aluma MCTXL trailer
    BRP hitch
    Big Bike Parts wiring harness
    Permanent Smile!!!

Spyder Garage

I asked the FOBO engineers if we can use the LIR 2032 rechargeable batteries. It appears they wont work in all applications based on what I have read.

Awaiting an answer but if they work I am going to use those and just recharge every 6 months.

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black

Spyder Garage

I asked the FOBO engineers if we can use the LIR 2032 rechargeable batteries. It appears they wont work in all applications based on what I have read.

Awaiting an answer but if they work I am going to use those and just recharge every 6 months.

Bob
    I already ordered the rechargeable so I'll see

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by thereverend View Post
    I already ordered the rechargeable so I'll see
    Where did you order them and I assume you got a charger?

A cheap price I found is from China via Ebay.... Locally the price seems to be triple that of ebay

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black

Spyder Garage

I too have been thru batteries in 6 months or less. I have them on my van as well as the bike. Hopefully the rechargeable ones will work, but I suppose you would need to look out for cheap China ones of those too. All of HF's batteries are junk.

You are right they broadcast every couple of seconds.

One of the hardest decisions you'll ever face in life is choosing whether to walk away or try harder.

Spyder Garage

With the new APP version (for Apple at least) there is now a last time and date on each sensor that shows you the last time the sensor was read by the APP. If you watch it, the sensors update every minute. This leads me to believe they transmit once every minute.

I tell you the history of these "watch batteries" has always been way off. I call them watch batteries because that was the first thing I think button style Lion batteries were used (except on PC motherboards). Anyway if you recall when watches first came out using these they advertised 5 year life! Of course none of us got that amount of life. Then they said 2 years. We still did not get that. Heck some watches you maybe got 1 year.
    So anytime I have bought a device using these and it says 2 years or something, forget it. You always get half that and sometimes worse.

Right now after a little over six months, 2 sensors have 2 green bars for battery and 1 sensor has 1 red bar. The 4th sensor on my rear shock air bag is a later add-on so it is showing 3 green bars after about 3 months.

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black

Spyder Garage

Default Same

Where did you order them and I assume you got a charger?

A cheap price I found is from China via Ebay.... Locally the price seems to be triple that of ebay

Bob
    Place, batterymart.com

Spyder Garage

Default ipod upgrade?

So check this out! Super cool...

I have a dedicated iPod in my trunk. I used FOBO share and shared it with another account I made on my iPod touch in my trunk.
    Now I don't need my phone if I do not want to it's all setup on my iPod in the trunk!

So get this! If music is playing from the iPod and I get a tire sensor warning, in interrupts the music and plays the warning siren through the Spyder's speakers! FREAKIN COOL!

Then top this off. I bound my Sena headset to the iPod in the trunk as a media player (not a phone). Same thing! It sends a warning to my headsets interrupting music!

I am liking this setup more and more!

Bob
    It appears in your video that you've upgraded your trunk ipod from the cracked screen generation 4 to a newer lightning connector model. So, is it safe to assume that you've given up ipod control for FOBO'S bluetooth requirements? Did you find a way to do both?

Spyder Garage

I just ordered a set of these for Charlotte. In skimming thru this thread I did not notice if any of you changed to metal valve stems or if our stock stems work just fine.What is the experience so far.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by pegasus1300 View Post
    I just ordered a set of these for Charlotte. In skimming thru this thread I did not notice if any of you changed to metal valve stems or if our stock stems work just fine.What is the experience so far.
    I stayed with the stock rubber stems based on previous advice from others on SL and they have worked fine. The FOBO devices are very light, and they are big enough that if there were enough centrifugal forces to bend the rubber stem, they would hit the wheel rim before the rubber stems bent far enough to get damaged...maybe (I'm no centrifugal force expert).

I've had them on for about 4000 miles with no rubber valve issues.

2014 RT Limited

Spyder Garage

Do only the RT's have the airbag? Or do the ST's / RS's as well?

Bob
    As far as I know, and I applogize for the late answer. Only the Rt's come with the option. But if you check out Air Wave Suspensions, they have an aftermarket add-on. Pricey$$
    2014 RS+ , Excel 8.8 and NGK plugs Currently pearl white, Aircraft gray after rivets installed

Spyder Garage

Default Question for Finless ..

Bob,
    Bringing this thread back to life to ask if there are still no problems with the rubber valve stems and FOBO, now you have even more miles under your belt.

Thanks.

edit --Just PM'd you
    Last edited by HayRog; 07-06-2016 at 10:22 AM.

Spyder Garage

Default Air Shock FOBO Alarms

Does anybody know if there is a way to disable the high/low pressure alarms on just the air shock sensor? It appears that the normal shock operating pressure range is too great for the maximum/minimum pressure alarm setpoint range. I really only want the current pressure display for the shock anyway, as it's really just for information purposes. I do, of course, want to retain the tire pressure alarms.

Spyder Garage

Just installed the FOBO system today -- NICE !!

Easy install and liking it.

Thanks to Finless for the video and advice

Now I'll worry if the front tires are different from each other by 0.4 psi -- LOL