Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default FOBO-Bike TPMS system on a Spyder

So in the main forum I had brought up the FOBO-Bike TPMS (Tire Pressure Monitoring System) that I found and that it supports the Spyder.

So I ordered a set and it came today.

http://fobobikesales.com

Here is a little video showing the details of what it looks like installed on a Spyder and some tips from me.
    I show how the stem caps fit and if there are any problems with the rims or rubber stems.

Bottom line the system works as advertised and I see no issue.

Some miles and use will tell more though.

Enjoy!

Bob
    Last edited by finless; 04-07-2015 at 07:50 AM.
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black
    Bought June 2013 with 450 miles. 27K on 8-1-2017.
    Farkles - DIY Trunk Break Light, HMT Break Light, DIY Mirror Turn Signal Lights, DIY Bluetooth Dongle, DIY iPod Setup, DIY Alarm System Install, Show Chrome front fender / rear saddle bag lights, 4th break light around the trunk, Vented Windshield, Baja Ron Sway Bar, DIY GPS setup, Smooth Spyder, BRP Chrome Mirrors, Adjustable deflectors, Triaxis handlebars, NVB Pegs, Bad Boy Airhorn... More to come
    2011 RT-S SM5 , Baja Ron Black

Spyder Garage

So check this out! Super cool...

I have a dedicated iPod in my trunk. I used FOBO share and shared it with another account I made on my iPod touch in my trunk.
    Now I don't need my phone if I do not want to it's all setup on my iPod in the trunk!

So get this! If music is playing from the iPod and I get a tire sensor warning, in interrupts the music and plays the warning siren through the Spyder's speakers! FREAKIN COOL!

Then top this off. I bound my Sena headset to the iPod in the trunk as a media player (not a phone). Same thing! It sends a warning to my headsets interrupting music!

I am liking this setup more and more!

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black
    Farkles - DIY Trunk Break Light, HMT Break Light, DIY Mirror Turn Signal Lights, DIY Bluetooth Dongle, DIY iPod Setup, DIY Alarm System Install, Show Chrome front fender / rear saddle bag lights, 4th break light around the trunk, Vented Windshield, Baja Ron Sway Bar, DIY GPS setup, Smooth Spyder, BRP Chrome Mirrors, Adjustable deflectors, Triaxis handlebars, NVB Pegs, Bad Boy Airhorn... More to come

Spyder Garage

The cool things about this now with the Sena binding or a dedicated iPod touch in the trunk.... While your riding you get live tire warning should you be starting to get a flat!!!!!

Tell you what, I remember having a rear tire go flat back in the 70's on two wheels. I had no idea it was and me and my passenger wound up in the ice plant along side of the freeway. With this system if your doing 75 along some highway and a tire picks up a puncture... your going to know before it is too late.

I will probably do another video on how I got this all working integrated with the Spyder's audio system.

Damn man... I like this system so far. Pretty happy with it

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black

Spyder Garage

Hey Bob what about battery changes on the sensors and how long are they supposed to last?
    2013 Mag Silver SE5 RT BahaRon Sway bar & Sway bar links, Grip Puppies, Kuryakyn Helmet locks , Ultimate Seat w/Utopia Backrest, Dash power outlet, Spyderpops BumpSkid, Swagman Cup holders, Full size Brake Pedal, Seal DLX Floorboards, Freeway Blaster horns, Sylvania Super Bright fender LEDs, Scotchlite 680 Rear & Fender Reflectors, BRP Fog Light Kit, LED Mirror turn signal strips, 2014 RT grille mod. Outlaw Laser Alignment

Spyder Garage

Once again excellent video and review Bob. In your opinion, do you see any issues using one of these on the schrader valve located under the seat? Clearance, communications, etc.
    Thanks.
    Our Scenic Life - Spyder Videos
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/OurScenicLife

Ask me about my Spyder.
    2014 Black Can-Am Spyder RT

Spyder Garage

Spec say battery lasts up to 2 years.

Battery replacement is easy.

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by markyodo View Post
    Once again excellent video and review Bob. In your opinion, do you see any issues using one of these on the schrader valve located under the seat? Clearance, communications, etc.
    Thanks.
    I will check if it will fit under the seat.
    Only problem I see is the app doesn't support 4 sensors so if you wanted 4 you would have to get FOBO tire (car version).

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black

Spyder Garage

Not going to work well for under the seat.
    FOBO sensors only support up to 50 PSI. FOBO tire Plus sensors support up to 87 PSI.
    Suspension airbag goes upto 96 PSI.

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black

Spyder Garage

Default Pricing

Quote Originally Posted by finless View Post
    FOBO sensors only support up to 50 PSI. FOBO tire Plus sensors support up to 87 PSI.

Bob
    Hi Bob. Great find. Nice to see pressure at a glance and be notified when low. Saves checking all the time which loses a bit of pressure each time anyways.

Spyder Garage

Bob
    Oh well. It was worth a shot, thanks for checking. Still looks like a really nice product.

Ask me about my Spyder.

Spyder Garage

Oh well. It was worth a shot, thanks for checking. Still looks like a really nice product.
    Mark, so I am checking with the Vendor as to your question.

The FOBO Bike sensors are rated to 87 LBS. Very close to the max the airbag would be. I doubt many run it at max.
    But what I wanted to know is if the sensor would be damaged going higher than the 87 lbs.

Stay tuned as I get answers.

However with that said. My RTS has the automatic ride control (air pump). I usually leave my setting in the middle. So I just went out, started up the Spyder and checked the pressure in the bag at middle setting. It's only at 38 PSI. Then using the switch on the console I increased the ride to max. Read the valve and it's only 57.
    So as long you don't pump it manually to over 87, pretty sure our idea will actually work!

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black

Spyder Garage

Mark, so I am checking with the Vendor as to your question.
    However with that said. My RTS has the automatic ride control (air pump). I usually leave my setting in the middle. So I just went out, started up the Spyder and checked the pressure in the bag at middle setting. It's only at 38 PSI. Then using the switch on the console I increased the ride to max. Read the valve and it's only 57.
    So as long you don't pump it manually to over 87, pretty sure our idea will actually work!
    Bob
    We usually ride with 2 up @ 48lbs. I can't see ever going much more than 55lbs.

Ask me about my Spyder.

Spyder Garage

Later today I will see if the sensor can go on the Schrader valve and not be contacted by the seat.

Stay tuned.

FYI, you can add a forth sensor and there are 2 ways to do it.
    1) Add another vehicle profile like the spyder and only bind the 4th sensor as the rear wheel. Just do not add the fronts.
    2) Add your spyder as a quad which the APP has. Make the right rear wheel the airbag and the left rear the rear tire.

So this will work with the APP as is.

Again I am in contact with the USA distributor now after showing him my video for use on a Spyder. Believe it or not, he thinks I am the first to actually use it on a Spyder in the USA. Anyway I am going to point out this idea to him and see if they will add to the APP a Spyder with a 4th sensor under the seat.

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black

Spyder Garage

Do only the RT's have the airbag? Or do the ST's / RS's as well?

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black

Spyder Garage

Default Update - 4th sensor for the rear shock air bag

Hey Mark.... some good news buddy....

Pretty sure it works. See my video below.

I actually talked with the US distributor today (Bob Mutch and a great guy!) about getting the APP updated to support a 4th sensor using a Spyder RT picture. My video was a proof of concept for him. No promises from him of course but might be doable! Bottom line if they do not, you can still setup with it and a 4th sensor using the setup for a Quad. I am hoping to get a 4th sensor and do some long term testing of this idea.

Great idea buddy! Credit goes to you and now just testing.

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black

Spyder Garage

Thanks for checking, and doing all the leg work. The product looks really nice. I am budgeting for a set of 4 for my Spyder, the quad configuration would work just fine provided the 4th one supports the pressure test.

Ask me about my Spyder.

Spyder Garage

So check this out!!!!!

Yesterday I sent that video to the US Distributor. He then contacted FOBO and talked about adding a new image of the Spyder RT to the APP with the Air Shock sensor. Thus 4 sensors for a Spyder RT. Of course the 4th sensor is optional.

Anyway they are going to add it to the APP!!!! The Email I got copied on they said 2-3 weeks for the APP update!

Freakin cool! First time I had direct influence to a product tuned just for us Spyder owners.
    While I will get nothing from this except a free sensor for testing, I am very proud to have helped.

Mark, great idea buddy! They liked it and now it is happening!

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black

Spyder Garage

It may work with the stock seat but what about the Ultimate seat? No tool bag hole on them. Bob if you know someone who has one check it out please. I wonder how the sensor will hold up in the heat under the seat?
    2013 Mag Silver SE5 RT BahaRon Sway bar & Sway bar links, Grip Puppies, Kuryakyn Helmet locks , Ultimate Seat w/Utopia Backrest, Dash power outlet, Spyderpops BumpSkid, Swagman Cup holders, Full size Brake Pedal, Seal DLX Floorboards, Freeway Blaster horns, Sylvania Super Bright fender LEDs, Scotchlite 680 Rear & Fender Reflectors, BRP Fog Light Kit, LED Mirror turn signal strips, 2014 RT grille mod. Outlaw Laser Alignment

Spyder Garage

The other concern I have Bob is the BT. I have a BT GPS and helmet. Even without my phone paired to my helmet using GPS and the music player on it to my headset gets funky if my BT is on my phone. I have to make sure it is off for the GPS to work right. I wonder how the TPS will play with other BT systems? I know I can work around some of this by using my FM tuner to the GPS and bike but using helmet and phone + 3rd BT system (TPS) I wonder how they will play.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Magdave View Post
    It may work with the stock seat but what about the Ultimate seat? No tool bag hole on them. Bob if you know someone who has one check it out please. I wonder how the sensor will hold up in the heat under the seat?
    You read my mind! On May 9th I will be going to a large ride where there will be probably 100 Spyders. I will check it on as many seats as I can.

As for heat, the spec say operating tempos to 85C or 185F. Not sure there is that much heat all the way back under the seat like that near the brake fluid tank?
    But we shall see. Sensor is on the way and I will be testing it.

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black

Spyder Garage

Default and the trailer?

Some years back we had a 38 foot RV and we pulled a Saturn VUE. I installed a similar concept TPMS whose monitor accommodated all tires... 6 on the RV and 4 on the toad. Wondering if FOBO may consider modifying their app to support 5 inputs, 3 from the Spyder and and 2 on the trailer.

Bob, would mind dropping this concept on them?

Thanks,
    Paul
    2014 RT Ltd Silver Platinum Satin, Ultimate Seat, rider and passenger backrests, Vented Windshield, Adjustable Side Wind Deflectors, Chrome Tri Axis Handlebars with GPS Support, Trailer Hitch Kit, RT-622 Trailer Silver Platinum Satin, Stebil Air Horn, BajaRon's Sway Bar, Spyderpops Bumpskid bike and Trailer, R/T grills, SpyderSisters Front Trunk Pockets, SpyderSisters Sunshade, Spyderflaps Mud Flap, many TricLED lights
    2014 Limited , Silver Playinum Satin

Spyder Garage

You read my mind! On May 9th I will be going to a large ride where there will be probably 100 Spyders. I will check it on as many seats as I can.

As for heat, the spec say operating tempos to 85C or 185F. Not sure there is that much heat all the way back under the seat like that near the brake fluid tank?
    But we shall see. Sensor is on the way and I will be testing it.

Bob
    Check for BT interference too keep us posted.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by pjweimer View Post
    Some years back we had a 38 foot RV and we pulled a Saturn VUE. I installed a similar concept TPMS whose monitor accommodated all tires... 6 on the RV and 4 on the toad. Wondering if FOBO may consider modifying their app to support 5 inputs, 3 from the Spyder and and 2 on the trailer.

Bob, would mind dropping this concept on them?

Thanks,
    Paul
    I have already asked them about the trailer and any limits on number of sensors. The FOBO APP can support up to 19 sensors!
    To add the trailer you add another bike profile to the APP. So you have the Spyder as one profile and the trailer as another.
    For now you setup the trailer as another 2 wheeled motorcycle. Bob Mutch (USA Distributer) says he has asked for a graphic of a cycle trailer to be added and they will be doing it in future updates, possibly this one that is adding the Spyder RT with the air-shock sensor.

Magdave, no issues with my BT headsets so far. I was using a SMH5-FM till today and I just installed my 20S. I have it bound to my wifes helmet (20s), my SM10 in the trunk, My iPod in the trunk, my iPhone 6 plus, and my Sena GoPro BT backpack. So far no issues.
    The system obviously uses some different kind of BT protocol as the sensors do not show up on the iPhone in the BT settings screen.

Bob
    Last edited by finless; 04-06-2015 at 12:56 PM.
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black

Spyder Garage

Default Thanks

I think I'll order a set later today. Just finished installing EBC brake pads from Bajaron so the TMPS is the last thing before this riding season gets started.
    2014 RT Ltd Silver Platinum Satin, Ultimate Seat, rider and passenger backrests, Vented Windshield, Adjustable Side Wind Deflectors, Chrome Tri Axis Handlebars with GPS Support, Trailer Hitch Kit, RT-622 Trailer Silver Platinum Satin, Stebil Air Horn, BajaRon's Sway Bar, Spyderpops Bumpskid bike and Trailer, R/T grills, SpyderSisters Front Trunk Pockets, SpyderSisters Sunshade, Spyderflaps Mud Flap, many TricLED lights
    2014 Limited , Silver Playinum Satin

Spyder Garage

Very good news, thanks again for doing all the work. I forgot about the trailer. I intend on having a trailer for the RT by June so looks like I would want 6 sensors.
    The way I understood Bluetooth communication, the device randomly chooses from 79 available "channels" to communicate. It has a set time to make it's communication before it uses another and it does this random selection @ over 1000 times per second. So unless you have all channels being used at all times it would be difficult to cause any interference.

Ask me about my Spyder.