Spyder Garage

Default What (who) makes the best handlbar risers for an RS SM5 Spyder?

I have searched this website but couldn't find any information on what is the best way or product to put handlebar risers on an RS spyder.
    I have an RS but can't take the forward leaning position. I want to sit up straighter and feel more comfortable.
    What product is the best one out there and do you need to buy longer cables (I prefer to use the stock cables if possible)?
    My bike is a manual shift (sm5) if that makes a difference.

Any help or comments would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Through the years many risers have came and gone. A few years back they were real popular. I installed a set of 4" risers and did not have to replace the cables. Take a look at the risers offered by Kewl Metal. http://www.kewlmetalstore.com/produc...roducts_id=456 Between the Risers and Rivco floor boards the RS was real comfortable to ride.
    Last edited by Frank G; 04-04-2015 at 07:43 PM. Reason: Spelling

Spyder Garage

Hi 0992,

Re: what is the best way or product to put handlebar risers on an RS spyder.

IMO a subjective question. I put the Custom Dynamics 4 1/2" Easy Risers on my '08.

I found the instructions lacking but finally got it completed. If you are experienced in wrenching on cars, etc, you should be able to do it yourself.

Here is the link: http://www.customdynamics.com/can_am...bar_Riser_Kits

I bought the $129.95 items and found them to be of very good quality.

If you would like to see mine, drop me an email at: jerrybaumchen(at)gmail(dot)com

Jerry Baumchen

PS) My cables fit fine so far; the risers have been on for almost a year now with no issues.

PPS) NOTE: Read the instructions carefully; they go on a different way if you have a manual or electronic shift.
    'I'll never forget what's her name.'

'Things are more like they are now than they ever have been before.' Dwight Eisenhower

2008 GS SE-5

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 0992 View Post
    I have searched this website but couldn't find any information on what is the best way or product to put handlebar risers on an RS spyder.
    I have an RS but can't take the forward leaning position. I want to sit up straighter and feel more comfortable.
    What product is the best one out there and do you need to buy longer cables (I prefer to use the stock cables if possible)?
    My bike is a manual shift (sm5) if that makes a difference.

Any help or comments would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance
    You don't say what year you spyder have and that can make a difference for newer spyders. As of 2013 they made several changes especially the handlebars and the most common risers will not fit, but prior to 2013 I believe the RS handlebars are the same.
    2013 Pure Magnesium Spyder RS-SM5 Cal Sci medium clear windshield, R-35 hard sided saddlebags and fitments rack, 2013 Can-Am Spyder ST Limited Embroidered Stock Seat, Trunk opening spring, fire extinguisher, Passenger backrest and rack, Added side mirrors, Handlebar bag.

Spyder Garage

I was a very early adapter of handlebar risers. (2008 GS ).

Also could not bear the forward lean because of my back. Bought the BRP risers which were 1" if I am not mistaken. They helped a bit, but I still had lots of pain.

My dealer hand made some 3" risers and I tried one set for free and purchased another set for my 2009 RS. For me the 3" size helped a lot.

Fast Forward to current time: Mentioned above are some aftermarket brands. Recommend the tallest ones you can get. Looks like 4.5 is it.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red