Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BikerDoc View Post
    It really depends on the wife. I have seen some wives happy to tour on the RS with a simple backrest, and meanwhile know one guy that spent $10000 trying to get his wife happy with an RS and then finally had to trade it on an RT.. I believe they rent them in NZ. Maybe you could pre test before committing fully
    Cheers mate yep will certainly try before buying

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

And a lot of touring add ons are personal preference. Doesnt matter what platform you ride.
    My wife and I have toured the crap out of our RS with really nothing more than a 47l top box added on the OEM sport rack that also acts as a backrest, and some highway pegs. Not everyone desires big windshields, expensive hard bags, floorboards, cup holders, etc etc.
    As for seats it seems like everyone has their own personal flavor, doesn't matter what platform. We've been pretty happy with the stock ST seat.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PistonBlown View Post
    Spyders in NZ generally cost much more than the US and the gap between RS and RT is greater. In addition we don't have the same level of depreciation as you get in the US and Europe. Depreciation here is far more about condition and mileage than age. So the gap between the models remains in the second hand market.

So 'touring up' a RS tends to be the way a lot of NZ riders go. It also appeals to the Kiwi love of tinkering :-)

Of the 20 odd riders around here for example there are only two RTs and one ST. The rest are RS's, though probably not one standard one. I think STs and RTs are more common in the North Island but the majority are still RS' s.

Finally I believe finance here has a far higher rate of interest than the US which would also explain the attraction of the cheaper models.
    Thanks mate thats exactly what i was trying to say

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post

The RS series starts at 15K
    The RT series starts at 24K (approximately)

This will scare you Bob...and remember at the moment the NZ dollar is doing well against the US dollar.

New Zealand prices on unregistered 2014 models from the dealers, there's virtually no 2015's listed.

• RSS 2014 - NZ$28,490 (US$21,580)
    • STS 2014 - NZ$31,990 (US$24,231)
    • RTS 2014 - NZ$45,990 (US$34,835)
    • RTL 2014 - NZ$48,500 (US$36,804)

There is one 2015 model available at the moment:
    • RSS 2015 - NZ$29,190 (US$22,110)

So the price for a RSS here is not far off your starting price of an RT over there.

Add to that interest rates on vehicle loans are between 16% and 19% per annum.

You'll never moan about a dealer ripping you off again:-)
    Last edited by PistonBlown; 04-05-2015 at 05:11 PM.

Spyder Garage

Default Back Rest/ Arm Rest Solution

Quote Originally Posted by napper39 View Post
    heres what i did but it still hurt my knees for moore then a 45 min ride so i got the rt.
    Did you make the backrest/armrest or buy it and if so where? The "my poor knees" were my wife's first comment other than it looks very nice.
    Thanks for the picture and any information by PM or e-mail <champ barks@hotmail.com> MercerLake

Spyder Garage

may be too late to chime in on this but if you can afford the RT get it. I have the rs and first thing you need are bar risers, its way too sport bike a riding position when you start, unless maybe your like 7 feet tall. backrest is a must, link below (forget the can am one for 500+ bucks), seat is an issue i have not resolved yet, the comfort seat is about 500 so thinking of sending mine to the guy who redid my FZ6R seat and made it 10x more comfy. My wife complains about the position of the foot pegs on back so floor boards or re-positioning the pegs, i would not mind some floor boards up front either but again its a money issue. I also put the 12v plug in the frunk thats easy and cost maybe $20. Dont let anyone tell you that you need to remove the frunk to do it either. thats about it i can think of. Good luck

http://www.siriusconinc.com/pro-deta...roduct_id=6701
    Tony From Los Angeles

Current
    2015 Spyder RT
    2012 Yamaha FZ6R
    Previous
    2008 Premier GS #588
    2005 Suzuki C50
    2007 Susuki S40

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Price of the RS

Quote Originally Posted by laserracer View Post
    Cheapest RS ive seen sold recently here in NewZealand was $10,000 nz dollars and the cheapest RT i can see at the moment is about $21,000 NZD and trying to buy without finance so im looking more at the lower end of the market and plan on doing my own maintenance as im an ex mechanic..but sure i can see how the extra parts can add up.. but you can add them over time so it doesnt hurt so much $$$$ wise
    In the US, I was able to buy my new 2014 Spyder RS sm5 for $12,599 with a 3 year warranty. I absolutely love my bike and find it very comfortable after adding risers and a tall windshield. I added a backrest for my wife also.

Backrest was nearly $600 but can be purchased much cheaper on line.
    Windshield $285
    Risers $175

I am considering a new seat but not for comfort, for appearance. I find the stock seat very comfortable, but I will confess my longest one day ride was only 270 miles so I don't have a lot of touring experience on this bike.

Spyder Garage

My first was a spyder RS that was mostly converted to a touring bike. The things you "need" is a backrest, risers, taller windshield, footboards and some relocation brackets for the rear pegs. We took that bike on several weekend trips I would still be riding it if I hadn't found a smoking deal on a ST. Now that I've had some seat time on the ST, I don't know if I can give up my cruise control and the radio. The only time I've used saddlebags is for our weeklong trip through Yellowstone and the Tetons.
    2017 Chevrolet Camaro SS convertible. 2017 GMC Sierra cc diesel. 2017 Arctic cat RR 137 ES

Spyder Garage

Talking Some just wan't an RS

I got an RS because I do not care for the look or stance of the other models, and touring will be a secondary function, as in maybe 2 weeks out of every year, as I don't count a 2 day ride as touring. I will add the BRP backrest (let's be honest, money aside, it is the one to have!) and a comfort seat. Windshield and bar risers might happen too, but the bar height is from a different era IMO. I see no need for floorboards, and for me and my wife, this is a toy, and an adventure machine, comfort is important, but we both did not want a "couch". Maybe in time, but not till I'm 40!
    Not sure why all the knocking of wanting a sporty machine that can tour! Not everybody wants a Cadillac!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by isthatahemi View Post
    I got an RS because I do not care for the look or stance of the other models, and touring will be a secondary function, as in maybe 2 weeks out of every year, as I don't count a 2 day ride as touring. I will add the BRP backrest (let's be honest, money aside, it is the one to have!) and a comfort seat. Windshield and bar risers might happen too, but the bar height is from a different era IMO. I see no need for floorboards, and for me and my wife, this is a toy, and an adventure machine, comfort is important, but we both did not want a "couch". Maybe in time, but not till I'm 40!
    Not sure why all the knocking of wanting a sporty machine that can tour! Not everybody wants a Cadillac!
    The OP addressed the question as, could the RS be made into a comfortable cruiser for two? I guess that is why many chimed in with suggestions about mods to "make it so."

For me, in its OEM configuration (2008), I found the GS to be somewhat of a torture machine due to my back issues. Hip issues came later. All my mods were added to make it ride more comfortable for "me." Put 23,500 miles on before trading.

When the RT configuration came out in 2010, I was very fast to jump over to the more comfortable configuration for "me." Put 36,500 miles on that one.

Some have also considered the farkle way because the entry price for an RS is about $10K less. However, adding farkles to make it a tourer does run the cost up fast.

Clearly, you have a different viewpoint and most of us are going to accept that for sure. Nice thing about the RS, you can have it "your way."
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 04-13-2015 at 01:48 PM.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

It only costs money...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by latony007 View Post
    may be too late to chime in on this but if you can afford the RT get it. I have the rs and first thing you need are bar risers, its way too sport bike a riding position when you start, unless maybe your like 7 feet tall. backrest is a must, link below (forget the can am one for 500+ bucks), seat is an issue i have not resolved yet, the comfort seat is about 500 so thinking of sending mine to the guy who redid my FZ6R seat and made it 10x more comfy. My wife complains about the position of the foot pegs on back so floor boards or re-positioning the pegs, i would not mind some floor boards up front either but again its a money issue. I also put the 12v plug in the frunk thats easy and cost maybe $20. Dont let anyone tell you that you need to remove the frunk to do it either. thats about it i can think of. Good luck

http://www.siriusconinc.com/pro-deta...roduct_id=6701

I got my saddle bage from tish place and gor the back peg extensions from amazon had the rear seat modified for my wife and raised the handle bars 4.5 inches we have put 45000 miles and have enjoyed every mile we pull a Harborfreight trailer no problems... enjoy trhe ride... jtpollock

Spyder Garage

Thanks guys for the Great replies sorry i didn't answer sooner i have been away with the wife Im 58 ..so i think the bar risers will probably be a good idea...passenger back rest a nessesity and running boards would complete the comfort package...as well as a sway bar upgrade .. im wayyy past the sport bike riding position.. ive still gotta get my bum in gear and take a test ride on one yet that may well make up my mind as to buy either an RS or wait longer and save hard and buy a RT... but as they say time waits for no man so im still thinkn RS

Spyder Garage

If the bike has throttle by wire, cruise is a simple addition. You can modify the existing switch for free.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk