Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Can an RS be made a comfortable cruiser for 2

Looking at buying an RS for the wife and i to do weekend trips away... main factor is price .. as these.. seem well priced here in New Zealand looking at used probably 2008 ..2012.. whats needed to make these nice for touring.. more so from the passengers point of view.. like they say HAPPY WIFE HAPPY LIFE.....shes not a confident passenger on 2 wheels.. so looking at possibly seat options back rests, arm rests,..I know an RT is probably the preferred spyder for this task but they are about twice the price here

Cheers Dave

Spyder Garage

Default Simple things...

the back rest for sure. A cup/bottle holder. Different seat if possible (I changed to the comfort seat) foot peg extensions. Wife and I tour around no problem. Love the RS never a problem...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

There are quite a few of us that do some longer 2 up cruises. The RS is no cross country 2 up highway sofa, but with some creativity you can pack them like mules for some nice longer trips and have a good time.
    Get the spyder first and start doing some riding. From there you will figure out what add ons work best. The bonus is that you can leave all that extra gear behind when you are riding solo.
    Good luck!

Spyder Garage

Hi mate,

Yes you can is the simple answer. Almost all the riders I know have RS' s and they are the most popular in NZ. Having said that you may want to also consider an ST. Not many around in NZ but they are basically like an RS thats aready had all the touring mods made to it.

Where in NZ are you? If you're in Canterbury we've got a couple of social events coming up and you're welcome to join us and check out some of the mods people have made etc. If you're a north islander then there is an active group on the meetup site that organise runs etc.

Canterbury Spyder Riders on Facebook:
    https://www.facebook.com/CanterburySpyderRyders

Meetup Site (Mainly North Island)
    http://www.meetup.com/Spyder-Riders-NZ/

Thanks,

Jos
    Last edited by PistonBlown; 04-04-2015 at 04:54 AM.

Spyder Garage

Thanks guys..yep certainly a backrest nice looking spyder Chupaca.....Thanks for the info DrewNJ..it was very interesting

Thanks Jos yep will look into the ST for sure just depends on $$$..pity i live in hamilton..but i have the spyder riders nz web page bookmarked

I have also read on another trike site although they were talking about trikes with 2 wheels in back and a single wheel up front that pillion feels like they are gonna fall off or slide off the seat due to G forces in the corners...anyone experienced this with a spyder ?

cheers Dave

Spyder Garage

Not had any complaints about sideways movement from either my wife or daughter. However never ridden pillion so probably not qualified to answer. the grab rails on a Spyder are big and so I suspect that helps the pillion feel more secure on corners.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

No, should be no issue with that at all, unless they fall asleep....lol
    The passenger does have to lean into the corners with the rider, especially if riding a bit aggressively or on tighter corners. I've never heard my wife or any of my kids saying they've felt like they are going to be thrown off. My wife does like the backrest as it gives her the security to take her hands off the hand holds and sit upright while cruising.

Spyder Garage

Yeah thanks Jos ive been thinking about it and it seems that most of those complaints were from bikes converted into trikes...where i suspect the rear suspension is probably to hard and the front suspension has no sideways lean ..where as the spyder has some lean which helps counter the G forces a bit

Dave

Spyder Garage

Thanks DrewNJ i think i better get myself and wifey down to our nearest spyder dealer and maybe throw her on the back and see how she handles it...shes gets **** scared on a 2 wheels and tends to lean the wrong way..but she comfortably sat on a RT and seemed fine .. mmind you it wasnt moving...lol

Dave

Spyder Garage

heres what i did but it still hurt my knees for moore then a 45 min ride so i got the rt.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

The only problem with turning a GS or RS into a bike with touring capabilities:

You can easily spend enough to put it squarely into the RT's pricing...

2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member sealfloorboards's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Along with a backrest, I would add Seal Floorboards if she is tall enough to fold up the passenger pegs and give her a nice flat surface to put her feet. Pegs can get very uncomfortable on a long ride for BOTH rider and passenger. I ship all over the world.

Ride in comfort,
    John
    sealcreativeoncepts.com

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post

It is kinda nice though to be able to strip all the luggage off when your just doing a day ride and don't need all the storage.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I agree...
    As long as the dollars can still make sense!

Spyder Garage

My answer would be yes...but.... A picture of what I did to my 2008 GS.

All this was done pre RT days. I added fairing, saddlebags, trunk (not shown here), Corbin Seat with back rest, mirror extenders, handlebar risers, special Corbin rear fender, HID lights, and driving lights. Cost for these add ons was over $4K. I also did the same to our 2009 RS. Everytime I rode the RS it seemed very different from the RT.

The GS (looked like) a nice cruiser but lacked the qualities of long term riding comfort that the RT inherently has. I bought a Premier Edition RT when they first came out and the difference was like black and white. The GS/RS is more like a sport bike--IMO.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

I have an Ultimate seat with both backrests, plus Rivco passenger flootboards. About as comfy for a passenger as an RS can be.

That said, the trouble with two-up touring on an RS is there's just no room for stuff like there is on an RT, saddlebags aren't easy to use with a passenger. In fact, my M.O. has usually been I ride the Spyder and my GF drives her car when we go places together, then we use wherever we went to (house/hotel/cabin) as "home base" for touring. Still ride a few hundred miles a day together, but there's no limit to what we can pack given that it's all in the car.

Someday we'll *both* have Spyders, I figure... here's hoping!
    Silver 2010 RS SE5: Triple Play, Taillight, Brightsides, Fender Tips, Easy Risers; Evo Sway Bar; Airhawk R & Beadrider; latch springs; Grab-On grips; Crampbuster; 24" Madstad smoke windshield & deflectors; N-R round bag & soft saddlebags; BRP handlebar bag; Throttlemeister; Spyderpops Missing Air Dam & Air Mgmt System; Rivco driver & passenger boards & pegs; ISCI parking brake extension; Ultimate Midrider Seat w/both backrests, Fox Racing Shocks, Yoshi R-77 exhaust and a whole lotta love!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Do I smell the start of another infestation??

Spyder Garage

Just look at my signature and see all i've done over the years to make my RS into something i really enjoy ryding. some day i'll trade for an RTS as I want all the things my wife's RTL has,but the RS can be a great ryde without spending too much$$$$,at least not at one time,plus I did all the installs.
    2015 RT White,Tj's Dash mount,Rivco's Duel Flag Holder,SealsFloorBoards(Pups),Custom Dynamics fender lights(R/W)Bajaron's Swaybar & links,Lamonster's LED headlights,lidlox.Wiredux A-arm driving lights(upper&lower)FOBO TPMS system,Spyerpops lighted bumpskid,Foom handgrips.
    tobor9@me.com

Spyder Garage

Probably looking at about $10,000..$15,000 difference between a used early RS and a RT....Difference between new RS and new RT about $20,000..

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by sealfloorboards View Post
    Along with a backrest, I would add Seal Floorboards if she is tall enough to fold up the passenger pegs and give her a nice flat surface to put her feet. Pegs can get very uncomfortable on a long ride for BOTH rider and passenger. I ship all over the world.

Ride in comfort,
    John
    sealcreativeoncepts.com
    Thanks John..yep will be surely looking at a set of floorboards and a backrest...its more about passenger comfort...than anything else..you know that old saying.... when wife not Happy things will be Crappy ..

Dave

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by napper39 View Post
    heres what i did but it still hurt my knees for moore then a 45 min ride so i got the rt.

Liking that back rest and arm rests

Dave

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by laserracer View Post
    Probably looking at about $10,000..$15,000 difference between a used early RS and a RT....Difference between new RS and new RT about $20,000..

The RS series starts at 15K
    The RT series starts at 24K (approximately)

The used bikes grow much closer in price.
    But... if you take an RS, and try to bring it up to RT comfort levels:
    Saddlebags: $900
    Backrest & Rear Trunk: $1200
    Seat: $600
    Floorboards: $500
    Taller windshield: $200
    Handlebar risers: $300
    Passenger footpeg extenders: $200
    Heated Grips $100
    Cruise control:
    This isn't counting the riding time that's lost during the process...

Do what you want; just watch out for the size of the money pile being spent.
    Last edited by Bob Denman; 04-04-2015 at 05:29 PM.

Spyder Garage

Spyders in NZ generally cost much more than the US and the gap between RS and RT is greater. In addition we don't have the same level of depreciation as you get in the US and Europe. Depreciation here is far more about condition and mileage than age. So the gap between the models remains in the second hand market.

So 'touring up' a RS tends to be the way a lot of NZ riders go. It also appeals to the Kiwi love of tinkering :-)

Of the 20 odd riders around here for example there are only two RTs and one ST. The rest are RS's, though probably not one standard one. I think STs and RTs are more common in the North Island but the majority are still RS' s.

Finally I believe finance here has a far higher rate of interest than the US which would also explain the attraction of the cheaper models.

Spyder Garage

It really depends on the wife. I have seen some wives happy to tour on the RS with a simple backrest, and meanwhile know one guy that spent $10000 trying to get his wife happy with an RS and then finally had to trade it on an RT.. I believe they rent them in NZ. Maybe you could pre test before committing fully
    220,000 Mile Spyder Ryder, IBA Premier member #59352, Saddlesore 1000 (11), Bun Burner 1500 (3), Saddlesore 2000 (2), Bun Burner Gold, MILEEATER SILVER

Spyder Garage

The RS series starts at 15K
    The RT series starts at 24K (approximately)

The used bikes grow much closer in price.
    But... if you take an RS, and try to bring it up to RT comfort levels:
    Seat: $600
    Floorboards: $500
    Taller windshield: $200
    Handlebar risers: $300
    Passenger footpeg extenders: $200
    Heated Grips $100
    Cruise control:
    This isn't counting the riding time that's lost during the process...

Do what you want; just watch out for the size of the money pile being spent.

Cheapest RS ive seen sold recently here in NewZealand was $10,000 nz dollars and the cheapest RT i can see at the moment is about $21,000 NZD and trying to buy without finance so im looking more at the lower end of the market and plan on doing my own maintenance as im an ex mechanic..but sure i can see how the extra parts can add up.. but you can add them over time so it doesnt hurt so much $$$$ wise