Spyder Garage

Default When to put a fork in it?

Two months ago I purchased a used 2012 RT Limited with about 37000 miles on it. I knew the previous owner and know that the Spyder was driven by his wife and has been maintained properly. The bike honestly looks like new. One of the people I ride with just bought a new 2014 RT Limited and tells me the difference is night and day between the 12's and the 14's. Yesterday when we got ready to ride my Spyder showed a check engine light and wouldn't go over about 10 miles per hour. It showed a code of R1614 (throttle idle position failure on throttle release) After the Spyder warmed up and was restarted the check engine light went out and it ran fine. Today the Spyder did the same thing and again was fine after warm up. Prior to the Spyder I was a Goldwing rider and knew they could go several hundred thousand miles without a problem. Spyders are all new to me. At this point I'm questioning my decision to buy a Spyder with the mileage it has on it. How long should these things last. Do I need to trade for a new one. Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

Spyder Garage

Take it to a dealer. Sounds to me like you have a throttle spring or an automatic choke failure. Either way, no big deal. Just get it fixed before it drives you crazy.
    Dan

2012 Viper Red Rt
    upgrades:
    Baja Ron's Anti-Sway
    Diamond-R Arm Rests
    Gloriders
    High mount brake light
    chrome front fender garnish
    Bad Boy Horn
    Chrome Deflector Rack
    Chrome Scuff Nose Accent
    Handlebar Grip Fringe
    Gremlin Bells

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Depending upon several factors; you may still have a warranty at play...
    Get it to the dealer...
    Good Luck!

"P1614", is the throttle body telling you that something just ain't right.
    It'll run for Months with that code showing up at the oddest moments...

...getting more and more frequent as the time passes!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

This is most likely a minor, easily resolved problem. I would leave the silverware on the table and get down to your dealer. You can always pick up the fork later if necessary.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Please don't blame SPYDER or BRP for a component failure. All modern devices with any amount of computer control have PARTS supplied by many, many, many different VENDORS. So you have a sensor that has deteriorated in three years? NO BIG DEAL! Just let your dealer fix/replace it, and that particular part will never bother anybody again. Just be happy the computer system is smart enough to tell you exactly what's wrong, so you can deal with it effectively and be on your merry way, enjoying all the fun offered by your amazing machine.

Electronic failures are rare, but always exist. So spending thousands for a new machine will NOT make this peril go away.
    NEW - 2015 RT Limited SE6 Intense Red Pearl - 07/21/15
    Retained the old mirrors with TricLed Signals
    General Altimax RT43 rear tire (at...17,000 miles) Ran for 36,500 miles
    Michelin Defender.......rear tire (at...53,500 miles) Ran for 60,700 miles
    Riken Raptor HR.........rear tire (at 114,200 miles)
    Vredestein Quatrac 5 front tires (at 70,500 miles, first new fronts!)
    Gear Brake Decelerometer Module

OLD - 2012 RT Limited SE5 Pearl White - 01/31/13 - Traded in at 32,600 miles.
    BajaRon Anti-sway Bar
    Kumho ECSTA AST rear tire (at 14,200 miles)
    TricLed Turn Signals in Mirrors
    2015 Limited , Intense Red Pearl

Spyder Garage

and sorry to hear that you are experiencing a glitch this early on in your purchase. The problem indicated should be an easy dealer fix. Once they get you running right, you should expect many more miles on your machine.

To early in the game to recommend a trade off. The 2014 is a completely different version, but would not be trading at this point.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Default Relax. .!!

we have spyders with hundred thousand miles and having worked on all brands this is a simple fix not unlike the many on other brands...enjoy your new ryde and don't let the little things scare you...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by lsyorn View Post
    Two months ago I purchased a used 2012 RT Limited with about 37000 miles on it. I knew the previous owner and know that the Spyder was driven by his wife and has been maintained properly. The bike honestly looks like new. One of the people I ride with just bought a new 2014 RT Limited and tells me the difference is night and day between the 12's and the 14's. Yesterday when we got ready to ride my Spyder showed a check engine light and wouldn't go over about 10 miles per hour. It showed a code of R1614 (throttle idle position failure on throttle release) After the Spyder warmed up and was restarted the check engine light went out and it ran fine. Today the Spyder did the same thing and again was fine after warm up. Prior to the Spyder I was a Goldwing rider and knew they could go several hundred thousand miles without a problem. Spyders are all new to me. At this point I'm questioning my decision to buy a Spyder with the mileage it has on it. How long should these things last. Do I need to trade for a new one. Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.
    People tend to react harshly when something goes wrong with something they consider relatively new. I have ridden Spyders nearly 110,000 miles in the past four years after 45 years of two wheelers including some honda product.. I can tell you that overall the Spyder has held up just as well or better than many of the other brands I have had
    220,000 Mile Spyder Ryder, IBA Premier member #59352, Saddlesore 1000 (11), Bun Burner 1500 (3), Saddlesore 2000 (2), Bun Burner Gold, MILEEATER SILVER

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post
    This is most likely a minor, easily resolved problem. I would leave the silverware on the table and get down to your dealer. You can always pick up the fork later if necessary.
    BajaRon,

Thank you for the info. As a side note.....I recently installed your sway bar on this Spyder. The difference in handling is amazing. Thank you for a wonderful product.

Spyder Garage

Thank you to all that replied. Will get it to the dealer ASAP.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Depending upon several factors; you may still have a warranty at play...
    Get it to the dealer...
    Good Luck!

"P1614", is the throttle body telling you that something just ain't right.
    It'll run for Months with that code showing up at the oddest moments...

...getting more and more frequent as the time passes!
    Bob Denman......You were right. Apparently the bike at some point had an ECM update that didn't take. The service tech said that when an ECM update is completed its followed by a very detailed check to make sure it worked. For whatever reason this one did not. I know that the Spyder wasn't serviced by this dealer prior to now and he didn't want to say who did it. He contacted Can Am and they agreed to pick up the tab under warranty. Thanks again for the info. Back on the road and running great. This forum is a great.

Spyder Garage

Default Cool deal!

Keep calm and ride! Glad it was minor.
    Joe Meyer

Dealer for the Outlaw/ROLO laser Alignment system

Very Active Member stormtrooper's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Bob Denman......You were right. Apparently the bike at some point had an ECM update that didn't take. The service tech said that when an ECM update is completed its followed by a very detailed check to make sure it worked. For whatever reason this one did not. I know that the Spyder wasn't serviced by this dealer prior to now and he didn't want to say who did it. He contacted Can Am and they agreed to pick up the tab under warranty. Thanks again for the info. Back on the road and running great. This forum is a great.
    Boy that seemed easy.Glad you are back on the road enjoying your Spyder

2014 RT-S SE6 Pearl White

Grip Puppies, 12 volt power outlet, BRP comfort seat, Tri-Axis adjustable handlebars, BajaRons sway bar & links, Spyderpops Bump Skid w/Inlaid LED's & Stainless steel Kott grilles,SmoothSpyder belt tensioner,Carbon fiber dipped wind deflectors,Lamonster NBV highway brackets,Lamonster cat delete pipe,

Spyder Garage

Glad to hear the problem got resolved.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red