Thread: HID on ST?

Spyder Garage

Default HID on ST?

I guess I'm a glutton for punishment and am considering putting HID light kit on my ST limited. My RS wouldn't run with the xenon depot kit. Has anyone had any issues with error codes or rough engine idle or any other strange gremlins once converted to HID? How easy was the installation?
    2017 Chevrolet Camaro SS convertible. 2017 GMC Sierra cc diesel. 2017 Arctic cat RR 137 ES

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Ooof......I thought I'd never, ever, read this from you. After everything on the RS.....hope you have better luck on the ST.

Spyder Garage

I'd suggest the new led lamps. You will not have the troubles and they are instant on

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by DrewNJ View Post
    Ooof......I thought I'd never, ever, read this from you. After everything on the RS.....hope you have better luck on the ST.
    It hasn't happened yet. I love the way the HID light everything up and my RS spoiled me. I even put HID on my truck after riding that thing a few thousand miles and being amazed at how well they lit up the countryside
    Quote Originally Posted by jcthorne View Post
    I'd suggest the new led lamps. You will not have the troubles and they are instant on
    Funny you mention this. .. I have a led kit sitting at my house waiting to be installed in my snowmobile. Are they are as good as HID or significantly better than halogen?
    2017 Chevrolet Camaro SS convertible. 2017 GMC Sierra cc diesel. 2017 Arctic cat RR 137 ES

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Halogen vs LED vs HID is a huge topic on the HD boards. Especially since HD has an OEM LED add on headlight. Concensus seems to be that LED is brighter/better than halogen but not as bright as HID. However, LED is able to keep a good beam pattern where aftermarket HID lights in a non projector housing makes that really bright non focused scatter beam most oncoming traffic doesn't care to see.
    LED lights seem like they would be a nice upgrade. Wonder about heat though???

Spyder Garage

Halogen vs LED vs HID is a huge topic on the HD boards. Especially since HD has an OEM LED add on headlight. Concensus seems to be that LED is brighter/better than halogen but not as bright as HID. However, LED is able to keep a good beam pattern where aftermarket HID lights in a non projector housing makes that really bright non focused scatter beam most oncoming traffic doesn't care to see.
    LED lights seem like they would be a nice upgrade. Wonder about heat though???
    I installed the LED lights in my snowmobile and they are okay(ish) I'm uncertain if they are any brighter than the halogen bulbs. I have 2 sleds side by side and when I start them and shine the light on the garage door in the dark they just appear different not one better than the other. Evidently the high power LED's don't like heat at all because they have fans built into them. I was disappointed with the mounting tabs on the LED light kit as they were plastic!!!! If I do decide to do the spyder lights I'm putting a morimoto bixenon kit in. We'll see.

Spyder Garage

To those wondering about LED lights vs. Halogen. I just got a chance to get 2 of my sleds out in the dark to compare and adjust the newly installed LED lights.
    My arctic cat snowmobile takes the same H4 bulb as the spyder so it's a very good comparison. Take a look for yourself and make your own conclusions:
    LED headlights:

Factory H4 lights:

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I think those LEDs look quite good!

Spyder Garage

I think those LEDs look quite good!
    The nice thing about LED is that you don't have to worry about the bixenon extra BS.

I might get my truck out and youtube HID lights for comparison. I REALLY want to install these on my spyder but not sure if I should take the chance: http://www.theretrofitsource.com/hid...l#.VSHz0I7F_ju
    Last edited by ARCTIC; 04-05-2015 at 10:02 PM.

Spyder Garage

Ok.. that didn't take long. I've kinda turned into a light freak.
    My 2015 GMC 2500HD with morimoto 35W HID headlights.

Spyder Garage

Take a look at the Phillips leds fron xenon depot. Much different from others on the market. Flex heat sinks instead of fans and beam patterns that actually work in projector housings like the spyder.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default HID on ST

Quote Originally Posted by ARCTIC View Post
    I guess I'm a glutton for punishment and am considering putting HID light kit on my ST limited. My RS wouldn't run with the xenon depot kit. Has anyone had any issues with error codes or rough engine idle or any other strange gremlins once converted to HID? How easy was the installation?
    I put them on my ST limited and used the HID error canceller and it prevents throwing error codes and the bike runs great, Used H4 Bi Xeon kit and it looks really good.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Nemeth View Post
    I put them on my ST limited and used the HID error canceller and it prevents throwing error codes and the bike runs great, Used H4 Bi Xeon kit and it looks really good.
    not familiar with the error canceling kit. Does the bixenon keep the bulbs hot when switching from high to low so you don't get the dim light?

Spyder Garage

not familiar with the error canceling kit. Does the bixenon keep the bulbs hot when switching from high to low so you don't get the dim light?

It moves the bulb position to re-aim the light pattern rather than using 2 lamps.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

It moves the bulb position to re-aim the light pattern rather than using 2 lamps.
    That is interesting. Looks like the bixenon kits require another box to perform the "dimming" function. Wonder how much room there actually is to hide all that stuff

Spyder Garage

That is interesting. Looks like the bixenon kits require another box to perform the "dimming" function. Wonder how much room there actually is to hide all that stuff
    While not impossible, its not easy and hense why I suggested the LED replacements from XenonDepot. I have the HIDs in my bike, installed over a year ago and the LEDs installed in my wifes bike. Not much difference in the results and each has minor pluses and minuses, but the ease of install goes to the LEDs by a wide margin.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

Default heat

How is the heat from the led vs. the hid ? Any worries about the plastic lenses melting in the headlights? I had hids in my 08 GS but it had the glass lens in the headlights so no problems.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Just Doo Me View Post
    How is the heat from the led vs. the hid ? Any worries about the plastic lenses melting in the headlights? I had hids in my 08 GS but it had the glass lens in the headlights so no problems.
    The heat is almost non-existant

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Just Doo Me View Post

The LEDs use less power than the HID which uses less power than the oem halogens. No problems with any of the three options with heat.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

The LEDs use less power than the HID which uses less power than the oem halogens. No problems with any of the three options with heat.
    You actually think the LED is nearly as bright as the HID? The Philips bulbs you mentioned aren't even rated very high compared to other kits out there. I see 3,800 lumens frequently advertised and the Philips are 3,000 ?

Spyder Garage

You actually think the LED is nearly as bright as the HID? The Philips bulbs you mentioned aren't even rated very high compared to other kits out there. I see 3,800 lumens frequently advertised and the Philips are 3,000 ?

Yes, lumens of light that bounce around inside the projector housing and just create heat are useless. The Phillips units that XenonDepot sells are the first ones I have encountered with proper beam pattern to work correctly in a projector lense housing.

The HIDs are a wee bit brighter overall but have far more light scatter. The LEDs are more focused and whither and come on instantly.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

Yes, lumens of light that bounce around inside the projector housing and just create heat are useless. The Phillips units that XenonDepot sells are the first ones I have encountered with proper beam pattern to work correctly in a projector lense housing.

The HIDs are a wee bit brighter overall but have far more light scatter. The LEDs are more focused and whither and come on instantly.
    I don't have projector light housings in my headlights