Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Reliability

Spyder Garage

Default Reliability

Hmm one picture is worth a thousand words

2013 Mag Silver SE5 RT BahaRon Sway bar & Sway bar links, Grip Puppies, Kuryakyn Helmet locks , Ultimate Seat w/Utopia Backrest, Dash power outlet, Spyderpops BumpSkid, Swagman Cup holders, Full size Brake Pedal, Seal DLX Floorboards, Freeway Blaster horns, Sylvania Super Bright fender LEDs, Scotchlite 680 Rear & Fender Reflectors, BRP Fog Light Kit, LED Mirror turn signal strips, 2014 RT grille mod. Outlaw Laser Alignment

Spyder Garage

We need to define some terms here. As in; What does 'Failed' mean?
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Dave,
    Perhaps it's time for you to dump your RT, and move on to something that you believe in...

And it pains me to say this to you; I've always considered you as a friend...
    Last edited by Bob Denman; 04-02-2015 at 11:06 AM.
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post
    We need to define some terms here. As in; What does 'Failed' mean?
    Dunno I assume it means needs to go to dealer to be fixed.
    2013 Mag Silver SE5 RT BahaRon Sway bar & Sway bar links, Grip Puppies, Kuryakyn Helmet locks , Ultimate Seat w/Utopia Backrest, Dash power outlet, Spyderpops BumpSkid, Swagman Cup holders, Full size Brake Pedal, Seal DLX Floorboards, Freeway Blaster horns, Sylvania Super Bright fender LEDs, Scotchlite 680 Rear & Fender Reflectors, BRP Fog Light Kit, LED Mirror turn signal strips, 2014 RT grille mod. Outlaw Laser Alignment

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Dave,
    Perhaps it's time for you to dump your RT, and move on to something that you believe in...

And take Drewnj with you.

Cruzr Joe
    2018 F3 Limited, BRP Driver Backrest, Spyderpops Lighted Bump Skid, Dual Spyclops Light, Mirror Turn Signals, Laser Alignment, Engine LEDs, Fog Lights With Halo's, Cushion Handgrips, BRT LEDs, and Under Lighting, Lamonster IPS, (with Clock), F4 25" Vented Windshield with Wings, Airhawk "R" Cushions. Position 4 Brake setting, Short reach Handlebars, Dash Mounted Voltmeter and 12 Volt Plug. Set of 3rd pegs. Extended Passenger Seat. Exterior BRP Connect setup, Ultimate Trailer

Spyder Garage

Dave,
    Perhaps it is time for you to not offer me advice. Don't shoot the messenger. This was posted on a Can Am Facebook page. Go for a ride and have some ice cream.

Besides I am waiting for my May fix from BRP.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Spyder Garage

Then why are you ragging on me for posting the picture? I did not read the link you posted; colored posts in different fonts make me read something else. Besides that post did not show the pecentages.

Spyder Garage

Default yah, I've seen that, but there alot missing...

I've seen this tossed around recently...There is WAY too little info here to make any kind of conclusions from it...
    But if taken at face value: One of the best arguments would be that the Spyder owners are generally persons of a certain maturity and/or who are much more willing to take issues to their dealers/mechanics for work instead of shade tree work. We also purchase warranties that other bike owners may not. Thus they go to the shop more for that work....
    Also, we ryde 'em!
    ~'12 RT Limited, Pearl White~
    BajaRon Anti-sway Bar
    Squared Away Laser Alignment
    Custom Dynamics HMT Brake Light, Front Fender Tips & Kit, Front Mud Flap LEDs, Amber & Red Brightsides, Tri-color Magicflex Channelz
    Lidlox Grip Tip Helmet Locks
    TricLED Mirror Signals, RGB Multi-color Halo Underground Effects Kit, LED Headlights
    Palmer Signs Custom "Captain America" frunk graphics
    Twisted Chrome Pinstripes
    Overland Australian Sheepskin Seat Cover

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Magdave View Post
    Perhaps it is time for you to not offer me advice. Don't shoot the messenger. This was posted on a Can Am Facebook page. Go for a ride and have some ice cream.

Besides I am waiting for my May fix from BRP.
    Negativity buys more negativity.

My Viper Red 2012 RT has been as reliable as ANY car I've owned. At least for the 25,000 miles I've ridden it over the last two years.
    Dan

2012 Viper Red Rt
    upgrades:
    Baja Ron's Anti-Sway
    Diamond-R Arm Rests
    Gloriders
    High mount brake light
    chrome front fender garnish
    Bad Boy Horn
    Chrome Deflector Rack
    Chrome Scuff Nose Accent
    Handlebar Grip Fringe
    Gremlin Bells

Spyder Garage

Default Here's the thing..!!

These are accomodating studies..like who sells more coca cola or pepsi. Depends on the month and whos turn...
    We are the brand with the most never before owned a bike people...
    We are the brand with the most women...getting into ryding
    We are the brand with the highest average age...
    Now with that we know newbies will be in the shop for every little thing as they learn ryding and simple maintenance. Women tend to have all work done at the dealers.(unless hubby does mechanical work or they learn to) Many units go in for computer glitches that simply clear with the key walk. And old folks have no patience (not all, don't get offended I'm one of them).
    So until brp pays for the study we will be low on the totem pole...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

About to hit 14K miles. My 2011 RTS has been trouble free other than things that have been what I consider normal maintance.

So I think comparing a Spyder with other bikes is a bunch of pooey... I think expectations like Chupaca pointed out have a lot to do with it along with the fear most people probably have with even pulling the panels off or doing anything themselves.

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black
    Bought June 2013 with 450 miles. 27K on 8-1-2017.
    Farkles - DIY Trunk Break Light, HMT Break Light, DIY Mirror Turn Signal Lights, DIY Bluetooth Dongle, DIY iPod Setup, DIY Alarm System Install, Show Chrome front fender / rear saddle bag lights, 4th break light around the trunk, Vented Windshield, Baja Ron Sway Bar, DIY GPS setup, Smooth Spyder, BRP Chrome Mirrors, Adjustable deflectors, Triaxis handlebars, NVB Pegs, Bad Boy Airhorn... More to come
    2011 RT-S SM5 , Baja Ron Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

There's an old saying...
    "Figures don't lie, but liars can figure!"

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Follow the MONEY, who owns the publication? Who benefits from skewed articles? Who did the author play a round of golf with yesterday? You'll never know!

I've owned two Spyders, 4 years later and (1) one trip to the dealer for (minor) repairs. No complainants, No regrets. Hell, the transmission self disinterested in My TOP RATED Honda Odyssey Van at 40,000 miles, along with other issues.

Spyder Garage

I don't mind the discussion. Certainly the Spyder has had issues, as has every other brand/model out there. But there are so many variables.

I'm not even saying that the Spyder should not be at the bottom of this list. On the other hand, I don't think there is enough information to verify their numbers either.

The Spyder is, for all practical purposes, a one of a kind machine. It's very much different from anything else anyone has ridden. And as mentioned, for many the very first 'Motorcycle' they have ever ridden. Just these facts alone are going to generate a lot of 'Can you check this or that', dealer visits alone. How many of these visits actually resulted in a machine deficiency and how many were simply owner ignorance.

I'd been riding for 25 years when I got my Spyder. Had I been someone else, and had there been a dealer close by I can guarantee you I would have taken it in at least once when there was nothing actually wrong with it.

I think this is a relatively meaningless concoction of figures which will probably get more traction than it deserves.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default I don't mind the discussion either

The guy didn't create the chart. Since when do we attempt to censor (limit) what gets posted ?

Very Active Member SPECTACUALR SPIDERMAN's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I have a yamaha & a spyder

Spyder Garage

Another point: Most dealers do not work on "trike" configurations due to warranty "issues." At the moment, Triumph is the only other major line that I know of that sells and warranties a trike version. EDIT: Ooops, forgot about HD TriGlides.

Can-Am is also a dealer serviced "trike."

Maybe that is the reason for more Can-Am's going to the dealer as opposed to the other brands. As owners, most of us tend to take our 's to the dealer for everything.

Next week: oil change service and tire replacement on the 2011.
    Next week after that: oil change service and install some farkles on the 2014.

There are two more trips to the dealer. Usual maintenance and not from problems implied in the chart.
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 04-02-2015 at 09:16 PM.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Default One Half Ton Salt Needed

Bought a dishwasher based on CR review last year because they said it was best cleaning one. Yes true, but in every other respect a POS! Love the !
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Talking

Yes my Spyder seems to require lots of maintenance but I have driven lots of miles and it has never broken down. Plus I have had lots of fun, met great people and seen some new places. Ride, be safe and have fun; if the Spyder causes you more worry and than fun sell it and move on.

Spyder Garage

anything you buy can have a reliability problem, i learned that with my ex. so it is a 50- 50 chance of getting a good one or bad one.
    NO BIKE AT THIS TIME

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Cruzr Joe View Post
    And take Drewnj with you.

Cruzr Joe
    Why would you say that? I have no issues with my machine, No complaints at all.
    or
    Is it because you don't like me? That totally makes my day, that my presence here bothers you, that I'm on your mind that much. Hahaha....[emoji106]

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Truthfully; I didn't really care for Joe's post either...

...But you could have ignored it...

Nahhh... you couldn't!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Truthfully; I didn't really care for Joe's post either...

...But you could have ignored it...

Nahhh... you couldn't!
    I couldn't! It made me laugh, and I totally felt loved today! [emoji1]
    I actually missed it and was messaged about it.
    Also, Noticed you jumped in here to.... I'm really feeling the love today!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by DrewNJ View Post
    I couldn't! It made me laugh, and I totally felt loved today! [emoji1]
    I actually missed it and was messaged about it.
    Also, Noticed you jumped in here to.... I'm really feeling the love today!
    I certainly don't want to see you go.