Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default FOBO Bike TPMS system?

I am thinking of buying this.

http://fobobikesales.com

Anyone use it on a Spyder?

Bob
    Last edited by finless; 04-07-2015 at 07:47 AM.
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black
    Bought June 2013 with 450 miles. 27K on 8-1-2017.
    Farkles - DIY Trunk Break Light, HMT Break Light, DIY Mirror Turn Signal Lights, DIY Bluetooth Dongle, DIY iPod Setup, DIY Alarm System Install, Show Chrome front fender / rear saddle bag lights, 4th break light around the trunk, Vented Windshield, Baja Ron Sway Bar, DIY GPS setup, Smooth Spyder, BRP Chrome Mirrors, Adjustable deflectors, Triaxis handlebars, NVB Pegs, Bad Boy Airhorn... More to come
    2011 RT-S SM5 , Baja Ron Black

Spyder Garage

So I guess I will be the first aye?

My concern is the sensor wont fit on the rear wheel stem without hitting the belt drive pulley.

But they say they support the Spyder and even have it in the APP.

So I guess I am going to buy it and be the first Guinea pig

Bob
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black
    Farkles - DIY Trunk Break Light, HMT Break Light, DIY Mirror Turn Signal Lights, DIY Bluetooth Dongle, DIY iPod Setup, DIY Alarm System Install, Show Chrome front fender / rear saddle bag lights, 4th break light around the trunk, Vented Windshield, Baja Ron Sway Bar, DIY GPS setup, Smooth Spyder, BRP Chrome Mirrors, Adjustable deflectors, Triaxis handlebars, NVB Pegs, Bad Boy Airhorn... More to come

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

That looks like an interesting display...
    Could the lower tire pressure in the right front have caused the increase in it's temperature?
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Could the lower tire pressure in the right front have caused the increase in it's temperature?
    How would I know? I do not have this system yet. Maybe the dragons breath did it?

I just installed the free APP on my phone and set it up. Of course since I do not have sensors, it does not display anything but setup is easy.
    The APP works and you can play with it even though no sensors.

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

My bad....

I thought that you had already pulled the trigger on the system, and we were seeing actual readings from your RT...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Looks like a good addition.
    keep us posted

this posting has been vetted, scrubbed and endorsed by the
    committee for postings

Spyder Garage

What I plan on doing is since I have a iPod in my trunk dedicated, is rather than hook this to my phone, I will you the iPod.
    This way I can pop my trunk open before heading out and just see what the pressures are.

Also since it can bind with more than one device (called sharing), it can also be on my phone.

Then since I have Bluetooth headset which can bind more than one device, I can get warning from the APP about my tires while I am riding!

Pretty slick setup!

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by finless View Post
    I am thinking of buying this.

https://my-fobo.com/Product/FOBOBike

Anyone use it on a Spyder?

Bob
    I was considering http://www.ride-onshop.com/LED_Smart...UVs_w_RSA.html. They self calibrate and offer a visual cue as to tire pressure so you can just do a visual inspection rather than getting getting down on your knees to check the pressure (especially that horrible back tire).

Spyder Garage

Bob

I have to give you a hard time. Is this because you forgot to check your tires?

Ride safe
    Larry

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by HedonismBot View Post
    I was considering http://www.ride-onshop.com/LED_Smart...UVs_w_RSA.html. They self calibrate and offer a visual cue as to tire pressure so you can just do a visual inspection rather than getting getting down on your knees to check the pressure (especially that horrible back tire).
    Wow for $80, I would prefer something a little more high tech

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ABQSpyder View Post
    Bob

I have to give you a hard time. Is this because you forgot to check your tires?

Ride safe
    Larry

Yea well.... that's why I am looking into a system like this

Right now I have put into my calendar on my smart phone a reminder to check pressure..... I got complacent!
    When I was new to the Spyder I checked it all the time. Not seeing much of a change I just did not freakin do it for long periods and got a surprise when I did!

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Do Spyders use metal valve stems? Every Bike/Trike TPMS system has some type of warning/disclaime about their use with rubber valve stems due to the potential for the rubber valve stem to fail because of the additional weight of the TPMS sensors on top of the stem. The only problem I ever had was removing the Tire Guard TPMS sensor. It loosened up the stem and caused the tire to go flat. Luckily I had a 4-way tire tool and fixed the problem and reinflated the tire.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MikeT View Post
    Do Spyders use metal valve stems? Every Bike/Trike TPMS system has some type of warning/disclaime about their use with rubber valve stems due to the potential for the rubber valve stem to fail because of the additional weight of the TPMS sensors on top of the stem. The only problem I ever had was removing the Tire Guard TPMS sensor. It loosened up the stem and caused the tire to go flat. Luckily I had a 4-way tire tool and fixed the problem and reinflated the tire.
    Their FAQ says these are only 10 grams nothing there says requires a metal stem.

I guess I will find out. Again they do state support for the Spyder and was tested so..... Again I will find out.
    The diameter of these is larger than most so if you think about it, centrifugal force will push the stem out and the sensor will be on the rim thus not flexing the stem that much.

Again I will report back if these have issues.

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Wow for $80, I would prefer something a little more high tech Bob
    $80.00 is "cheap" for bike/trike TPMS systems. TireGuard on Amazon is double that cost. I've seen some @$350.00. Then there's the expense of going to metal valve stems to avoid the liability with rubber valve stems.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MikeT View Post
    $80.00 is "cheap" for bike/trike TPMS systems. TireGuard on Amazon is double that cost. I've seen some @$350.00. Then there's the expense of going to metal valve stems to avoid the liability with rubber valve stems.
    There are now a BUNCH of TPMS systems on Ebay out of China that are less than $100. They look way to cheap to use though. I did a bunch of research on TPMS system today until I found the FOBO thing. I decided to go for that at $145. I like that I can get tire warnings while riding in my Bluetooth headset without some add-on dash display or getting off the bike to see a blinking LED. I like high tech toys like this so really... this is just a FUN thing to mess with.

The unit should get here by early next week at the latest. Again I will test this and let everyone know the deal.

Bob
    Last edited by finless; 03-31-2015 at 03:35 PM.
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black

Spyder Garage

Default Come on...

You know the sun sets in the west... and that tire is closest to the sun...

Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Think maybe I read the warning wrong, so I pulled my post.
    Last edited by Dragonfly; 04-09-2015 at 08:29 PM.

Spyder Garage

My bad....

I thought that you had already pulled the trigger on the system, and we were seeing actual readings from your RT...

Was that your High School Graduation picture Bob? Now I will recognize you at Spyderfest!

Jack
    All my life I wanted to be somebody, now I realize I should have been more specific.
    2019 Specialized E-Bike COMO 2.0
    2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
    2018 Tiffin Phaeton 37BH Motorhome
    2015 BMW R1200R LC
    2014 RTL SE6 Pearl White
    2012 RT-622 trailer viper red
    2014 Look 7x12 motorcycle trailer silver and black
    2011 Polaris Ranger green
    2013 GMC Yukon Denali XL silver oak
    2016 Can Am Maverick

Spyder Garage

2013 Mag Silver SE5 RT BahaRon Sway bar & Sway bar links, Grip Puppies, Kuryakyn Helmet locks , Ultimate Seat w/Utopia Backrest, Dash power outlet, Spyderpops BumpSkid, Swagman Cup holders, Full size Brake Pedal, Seal DLX Floorboards, Freeway Blaster horns, Sylvania Super Bright fender LEDs, Scotchlite 680 Rear & Fender Reflectors, BRP Fog Light Kit, LED Mirror turn signal strips, 2014 RT grille mod. Outlaw Laser Alignment

Spyder Garage

If you read the instructions, the warning doesn't come on until you lose 4# On the front tires while better than nothing is more than I'd like to be down before I realized it. That being said my Beemer warning doesn't come on until the pressure is down 23% That's 8.25%

One of the hardest decisions you'll ever face in life is choosing whether to walk away or try harder.

Spyder Garage

So I guess I will be the first aye?

Bob if it's good enough for you it's good enough for me.
    I'm going to order it tomorrow.

Bob
    Quote Originally Posted by pitzerwm View Post
    If you read the instructions, the warning doesn't come on until you lose 4# On the front tires while better than nothing is more than I'd like to be down before I realized it. That being said my Beemer warning doesn't come on until the pressure is down 23% That's 8.25%
    If you watch the video, you can adjust the lower and higher set points
    Stefan

Spyder Garage

I'm interested as to why the software requires a login? What information did they ask for when you created an account?
    If a login is required does the software still work if you have no internet connection?
    Our Scenic Life - Spyder Videos
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/OurScenicLife

Ask me about my Spyder.
    2014 Black Can-Am Spyder RT

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by markyodo View Post
    I'm interested as to why the software requires a login? What information did they ask for when you created an account?
    If a login is required does the software still work if you have no internet connection?
    Just an email address. They then send you a activation link. You click that link and it turn on your account and ability to program your sensors.
    This is done some someone cannot just download the APP and come to your bike and deprogram a sensor and take it and actually be able to use it.
    When the sensors are programmed to the APP they are locked to your account. You have to release the sensor to give it to someone else to use.
    They system has a anti-theft so if someone unscrews a sensor without releasing it from the APP, it will give you a warning. Of course your phone has to be near enough to the bike to receive the BT signal.

Dragonfly
    Don't believe it will work on the 2013 RT-Limited since I can barely get a pressure gauge on the front tire valves.
    The 2013 front valve stems are on the inside of the rim? My 2011 is on the outside and no where near the brake caliper. As far as hitting the rim, we shall see but the shape of my rims are rounded at the stem not a "edge" like that picture shows which I could see being a problem. So I am thinking this wont be an issue. Again we shall see. They did say it was tested on a Spyder.

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black

Spyder Garage

ordered mine this morning. It's coming out of Ft. Myers so I might have it before the weekend
    Stefan
    BTW Bob I sent you a pm

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ahh-cool View Post
    ordered mine this morning. It's coming out of Ft. Myers so I might have it before the weekend
    Stefan
    BTW Bob I sent you a pm
    Got it thanks!

So you may be a crash test dummy before me

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black