Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Excesisve heat from right side of RT

During Bike Week in Daytona I noticed a very hot situation coming from the radiator exhaust port on the right side of my 2011 Viper Red RT ! We were in some traffic but, I was wearing shorts ( 92 deg. ) ! I saw on this site where someone designed a plastic cover for the port ! Would this adaption make the spyder run HOT in warm weather ? If someone could direct me to the conversion cover, I would appreciate it, very much ! Thank you !!!!!

Spyder Garage

Hi John. I don't mean to sound like a smart ass (although I very well may be), but I typed in "excessive heat RT" in the search feature above, and found 9 pages of previous posts dealing with this issue.

I'm responding this way because it would take an inordinate amount of time to adequately answer your question. I mean no ill will. I'm simply trying to help you and at the same time be brief.

Chris

Spyder Garage

Spyderpops sells the Block Off plate www.spyderpops.com

if you do it correctly it will send the heat under the bike and out the back.

Shorts on any motorcycle , is never a good idea.

Cruzr Joe
    2018 F3 Limited, BRP Driver Backrest, Spyderpops Lighted Bump Skid, Dual Spyclops Light, Mirror Turn Signals, Laser Alignment, Engine LEDs, Fog Lights With Halo's, Cushion Handgrips, BRT LEDs, and Under Lighting, Lamonster IPS, (with Clock), F4 25" Vented Windshield with Wings, Airhawk "R" Cushions. Position 4 Brake setting, Short reach Handlebars, Dash Mounted Voltmeter and 12 Volt Plug. Set of 3rd pegs. Extended Passenger Seat. Exterior BRP Connect setup, Ultimate Trailer

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Cruzr Joe View Post
    ... Shorts on any motorcycle , is never a good idea.

Cruzr Joe
    commando is also not a good idea...

Spyder Garage

Default Two things...

wearing the proper gear will help alot. And as mentioned spyderpops (sponsor on the home page) has heat management systems to deal with this. There are many many threads and posts on how to deal with the heat.
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Very Active Member Pirate looks at --'s Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Have to Agree

We routinely ryde in temps above 90 degrees and I always wear vented textile ryding pants. The fact of the matter is, not only is it not safe to ryde in shorts, but you expose your feet and legs to the heat generated by the engine. In fact you will stay cooler with ryding pants on, and you will be less likely to suffer from dehydration. The more skin Yiu have exposed to the sun and heat the faster Yiu loose water. So to stay safe, and more comfortable cover up, drink lots of water, and add some evaporative cooling tools such as a cooling vets etc.
    White 2013 Spyder RT Limited. BajaRon Swaybar, Custom Dynamic Third Brake Light. Ultimate Custom Black and White seat with driver and passenger back rest. Gloryder Led Wheel lights.Custom Dynamics Led Bright sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright sides.

2016 F3 Limited Intense Red Pearl. Lidlox, BRP Driver Back Rest, BRP Passenger Back Rest,Fog Lights, GPS, Signature Light! Custom Dynamics LED Bright Sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright Sides.

Registered Users 3 Wheel Addict's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Heat is always a big concern coming out the radiator port. But that being said I work in shorts and often ride to work in them. Never long rides from home. There are many ideas to help with the heat from the furnace hole.
    Sold my 14 RTS went back to 2 wheels.
    2014 Kawasaki Vaquero SE

Spyder Garage

I too wear shorts, but they are underneath an armored mesh riding suit. ATGATT
    All the great movements in the world began with a cup of coffee!

2018 F3-T

My mods: Can am Trailer hitch, USB and 12 volt power outlets, Gustason windshield, Bead rider seat cushion, battery harness for electric gear and battery tender, Time out trailer.
    2018 F3-T , Pearl White

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I've seen the block-off plate modified with an exhaust pipe turndown, that directs the heated air away from the rider...
    That night be worth looking into!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Thank You

Just ordered the Block off plate from spyderpops ! Than you very much, I have been looking for a solution to the heat problem since Daytona. By the way it was 98 degs. in Daytona the day I wore shorts !

Quote Originally Posted by Cruzr Joe View Post
    Spyderpops sells the Block Off plate www.spyderpops.com

if you do it correctly it will send the heat under the bike and out the back.

Shorts on any motorcycle , is never a good idea.

Cruzr Joe

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

It's above 95 where I live most of the summer and I never wear shorts.

Bill C.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Was it the neighbors' complaints; that made you stop wearing them??

Spyder Garage

2014 right grille trimmed to fit earlier models cost $25. The gear police can take a break he did not ask for your clothing opinions.

2013 Mag Silver SE5 RT BahaRon Sway bar & Sway bar links, Grip Puppies, Kuryakyn Helmet locks , Ultimate Seat w/Utopia Backrest, Dash power outlet, Spyderpops BumpSkid, Swagman Cup holders, Full size Brake Pedal, Seal DLX Floorboards, Freeway Blaster horns, Sylvania Super Bright fender LEDs, Scotchlite 680 Rear & Fender Reflectors, BRP Fog Light Kit, LED Mirror turn signal strips, 2014 RT grille mod. Outlaw Laser Alignment

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Magdave View Post
    2014 right grille trimmed to fit earlier models cost $25. The gear police can take a break he did not ask for your clothing opinions.

2018 F3 Limited, BRP Driver Backrest, Spyderpops Lighted Bump Skid, Dual Spyclops Light, Mirror Turn Signals, Laser Alignment, Engine LEDs, Fog Lights With Halo's, Cushion Handgrips, BRT LEDs, and Under Lighting, Lamonster IPS, (with Clock), F4 25" Vented Windshield with Wings, Airhawk "R" Cushions. Position 4 Brake setting, Short reach Handlebars, Dash Mounted Voltmeter and 12 Volt Plug. Set of 3rd pegs. Extended Passenger Seat. Exterior BRP Connect setup, Ultimate Trailer

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Dave,
    Sorry...
    We don't know the experience level of the original poster of this thread. If they've got virtually zero saddle-time on motorcycles; they may not be aware of the fact that ALL bikes put out heat...

...and one's choice of clothing can make a huge difference as to how that heat is perceived!