Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: HOV lanes

Very Active Member Desert Spyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default HOV lanes

In Calif, motorcycles are allowed to drive in the HOV or "Diamond Lanes" despite if the have a passenger or not. Not sure if that applies to other states. I was talking to a friend who I haven't seen in two years. He had a RS that got totaled in a parking lot that bent the frame. He wanted a RT but the prices drove him off. I assume not too many used Spyders are at the dealers. They Craigslist them off. But he did buy a 2010 HD trike. His salesman claimed that Spyders, because they have two wheels in front are not allowed in the HOV lanes unless there are two on board and the HD trike with one wheel up front are allowed in the lane going one up. I don't know the accuracy of that statement. Now we got the Slingshots out there which will probably encounter the same situation. Any law men out there that can verify what the law says on this?
    Happy Spyder Owner
    States visited on the Spyder.
    And if we live life without a passion, then we're not living.

Spyder Garage

In Georgia, the Spyder is titled as a motorcycle and has access to the HOT /HOV lanes here in Atlanta. The HOT lanes require a $20 registration but no toll is assessed. One advantage of the Peach Pass is that it is good for NC and FL toll roads.
    "If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to be a horrible warning." Catherine Aird

Spyder Garage

I am in Cali and commute to work every day in the HOV lane,
    I am not a law man but I researched this before buying a Spyder.
    They are fully legal in the HOV lane.
    Ca considers 3 wheels a motor cycle and ther is no statute about the configuration of the 3.

Stevedfive is a retired cop out here so he can elaborate if he sees this post.

Bob
    Last edited by finless; 03-30-2015 at 10:53 AM.
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black
    Bought June 2013 with 450 miles. 27K on 8-1-2017.
    Farkles - DIY Trunk Break Light, HMT Break Light, DIY Mirror Turn Signal Lights, DIY Bluetooth Dongle, DIY iPod Setup, DIY Alarm System Install, Show Chrome front fender / rear saddle bag lights, 4th break light around the trunk, Vented Windshield, Baja Ron Sway Bar, DIY GPS setup, Smooth Spyder, BRP Chrome Mirrors, Adjustable deflectors, Triaxis handlebars, NVB Pegs, Bad Boy Airhorn... More to come
    2011 RT-S SM5 , Baja Ron Black

Spyder Garage

OK in NV

AJ

Quote Originally Posted by Desert Spyder View Post
    In Calif, motorcycles are allowed to drive in the HOV or "Diamond Lanes" despite if the have a passenger or not. Not sure if that applies to other states. I was talking to a friend who I haven't seen in two years. He had a RS that got totaled in a parking lot that bent the frame. He wanted a RT but the prices drove him off. I assume not too many used Spyders are at the dealers. They Craigslist them off. But he did buy a 2010 HD trike. His salesman claimed that Spyders, because they have two wheels in front are not allowed in the HOV lanes unless there are two on board and the HD trike with one wheel up front are allowed in the lane going one up. I don't know the accuracy of that statement. Now we got the Slingshots out there which will probably encounter the same situation. Any law men out there that can verify what the law says on this?
    2014 RT/S , Black

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default HOOEY

Quote Originally Posted by Desert Spyder View Post
    The key word here is " SALESMAN " ..... ......I don't think I have to elaborate ........Mike

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Seems to me, there was a law suit a couple of years back with the Feds against a state and HOV lanes. The state said motorcycles weren't allowed in the HOV lanes -- the Feds, thats fine except on Interstate Highways and they would also take all road funding away from them. The state decided that motorcycles were okay in HOV lanes

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by finless View Post
    I am in Cali and commute to work every day in the HOV lane,
    I am not a law man but I researched this before buying a Spyder.
    They are fully legal in the HOV lane.
    Ca considers 3 wheels a motor cycle and ther is no statute about the configuration of the 3.

Stevedfive isn't a retired cop out here so he can elaborate if he sees this post.

Bob

I find it interesting that a MC license is not required to drive a Spyder in CA, yet they can travel in the HOV lane as a MC?

Perhaps it just boils down to fuel economy?
    Just another crappy day in Paradise....Aloha!

Spyder Garage

If you CALL in GA, the Peach Pass is FREE! I did the process last year and got mine FREE. It's supposed to good on the HOT lanes and up and down I-85 where you would use the Peach Pass anyway. If you order the Peach Pass online, you will have to pay for it. I got this information from ABATE of GA as I am a member.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by HIspyder View Post
    I find it interesting that a MC license is not required to drive a Spyder in CA, yet they can travel in the HOV lane as a MC?

Perhaps it just boils down to fuel economy?

That makes me wonder if in Nevada, where the Spyder is licensed as a motorcycle (single wheel drive) and the HD trike is not, if you would get a ticket if you rode the HD in the HOV lane. Hmmmm.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderAnn01 View Post
    That makes me wonder if in Nevada, where the Spyder is licensed as a motorcycle (single wheel drive) and the HD trike is not, if you would get a ticket if you rode the HD in the HOV lane. Hmmmm.
    Good point Ann.
    Happy Spyder Owner

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Coming back home from Louisiana last fall and driving I-15 through Salt Lake City after seeing one of these signs I said to myself, "Great! I'll ride in the HOV lane."

My euphoria was short lived though when I saw this sign. I was pulling my tent-on-a-trailer behind me.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

In California, an HOV lane is a special lane used only for carpools, buses, motorcycles*, or decaled low emission vehicles (*regardless of the number of riders on the 2 wheeled motorcycle, 3 wheeled motorcycle, or 2 wheeled motorcycle with a side car attached. Configuration of the three wheels in not an issue but must have an engine larger than 150cc)

Motorcycle Handbook License Requirements

California issues the following license classes for two-wheel vehicle operation:

• Class M1-You may operate any two-wheel motorcycle, motor-driven cycle, or motorized scooter and all vehicles listed under Class M2.

NOTE: The permit and license requirements in this handbook pertain to two-wheel vehicles and are referenced in Section 12804.9 of the California Vehicle Code.

• Class M2-You may operate any motorized bicycle, moped, or a bicycle with an attached motor, or a motorized scooter.

NOTE: Class C licensees may operate a motorcycle with a side car attached or a three-wheel motorcycle.

Last edited by stevedfive; 03-30-2015 at 12:37 AM.
    2014 Timeless Black RTS/SE - BRP CB/Comm System; BRP Zumo 660 GPS System; BRP Cellphone Interface; BRP ST-1 Helmets w/BRP Headsets; BRP XM Radio; BRP Tri-Axis Handlebars; BRP Adj Wind Deflectors; BRP Adj Vent Windshield; BRP Comfort Seat & Utopia Backrest; Corbin Armrests; HMT Brake Light; TricLED 3/4 Brake & Running Lights; TricLED Fender Lights & Rr Cargo Lights; CD Fender TIPS Kit; Bump Skid; Scorpio i900 Alarm; Touratech GPS Locking Mount; NBV Highway Mounts; BBP Brake Pedal, Stebel horn.

Spyder Garage

HD Trikes may not need an M endorsement but in most other instances like smog it is treaded like a 2 wheeler, including the OHV lane

AJ
    2014 RT/S , Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PaladinLV View Post
    HD Trikes may not need an M endorsement but in most other instances like smog it is treaded like a 2 wheeler, including the OHV lane

AJ

I'm sure you would never get pulled over but I bet they could ticket you if they so desired. The trikes with 2 in the rear are not technically motorcycles in NV.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Nevada DMV Drivers License Handbook
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2014 Timeless Black RTS/SE - BRP CB/Comm System; BRP Zumo 660 GPS System; BRP Cellphone Interface; BRP ST-1 Helmets w/BRP Headsets; BRP XM Radio; BRP Tri-Axis Handlebars; BRP Adj Wind Deflectors; BRP Adj Vent Windshield; BRP Comfort Seat & Utopia Backrest; Corbin Armrests; HMT Brake Light; TricLED 3/4 Brake & Running Lights; TricLED Fender Lights & Rr Cargo Lights; CD Fender TIPS Kit; Bump Skid; Scorpio i900 Alarm; Touratech GPS Locking Mount; NBV Highway Mounts; BBP Brake Pedal, Stebel horn.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by stevedfive View Post
    In California, an HOV lane is a special lane used only for carpools, buses, motorcycles*, or decaled low emission vehicles (*regardless of the number of riders on the 2 wheeled motorcycle, 3 wheeled motorcycle, or 2 wheeled motorcycle with a side car attached. Configuration of the three wheels in not an issue but must have an engine larger than 150cc)

Motorcycle Handbook License Requirements

California issues the following license classes for two-wheel vehicle operation:

• Class M1-You may operate any two-wheel motorcycle, motor-driven cycle, or motorized scooter and all vehicles listed under Class M2.

NOTE: The permit and license requirements in this handbook pertain to two-wheel vehicles and are referenced in Section 12804.9 of the California Vehicle Code.

• Class M2-You may operate any motorized bicycle, moped, or a bicycle with an attached motor, or a motorized scooter.

NOTE: Class C licensees may operate a motorcycle with a side car attached or a three-wheel motorcycle.

Thanks Steve. I thought the info given to my buddy by the salesman was wrong. But it don't hurt to inquire. No telling how many may have gotten the same info. Personally, I would drive in the HOV lane anyway. LOL. Unfortunately that lane may be slowest of the 5 sometimes.The salesman worked at Loma Linda HD BTW.
    Happy Spyder Owner

Spyder Garage

From the DOT web site: http://ops.fhwa.dot.gov/freewaymgmt/faq.htm#faq15

Why are motorcycles allowed in some HOV lanes?
    Motorcycles are permitted by federal law to use HOV lanes, even with only one passenger. The rationale behind allowing motorcycles to use HOV lanes is that it is safer to keep two-wheeled vehicles moving than to have them travel in start-and-stop traffic conditions. States can choose to override this provision of federal law, if they determine that safety is at risk.

so, if your registration says "motorcycle" you can ride in HOV lanes without a passenger. If your registration does not say "motorcycle" or maybe "MC", then you can't.
    Last edited by Dan_Ashley; 03-30-2015 at 10:29 AM.
    Dan

2012 Viper Red Rt
    upgrades:
    Baja Ron's Anti-Sway
    Diamond-R Arm Rests
    Gloriders
    High mount brake light
    chrome front fender garnish
    Bad Boy Horn
    Chrome Deflector Rack
    Chrome Scuff Nose Accent
    Handlebar Grip Fringe
    Gremlin Bells

Spyder Garage

Ok in WA

One of the hardest decisions you'll ever face in life is choosing whether to walk away or try harder.

Spyder Garage

The trikes with 2 in the rear are not technically motorcycles in NV.
    CORRECT! But according to Metro perfectly legal as a "single" in the HOV lanes in NV. If wrong, I'll let the Sgt know!

AJ
    2014 RT/S , Black

Very Active Member Orange Spyder Man's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

thinking ahead to SpyderFest... I wonder if Spyders are allowed to use HOV lanes in Tennessee ? my Spyder's registration states M/C..

osm

Spyder Garage

In VA they are classified as motorcycle's and can be driven in the HOV lanes and HOT lanes (I495 and I95) free of charge. You don't even need a EZ-Pass transponder when using the HOT lanes.

Here is the information I obtained from the following link, https://www.expresslanes.com/faqs.

Can motorcycles use the Express Lanes?
    Yes. Motorcycles can use the Express Lanes free of charge and do not need an E-ZPass. If you already have an E-ZPass on your motorcycle, you can leave it in place when you travel on the Express Lanes. The system will detect that you're traveling via motorcycle and not charge you a toll. Please note that autocycles are not classified as motorcycles under Federal or Virginia code. Autocycle users must pay a toll with an E-ZPass if they chose to travel on the Express Lanes.
    [B]

2018 Intense Red F3T (See About Me under My Profile for mods)
    2010 Timeless Black RT-622 Trailer
    2014 Timeless Black RTS-SE6, 34,300 Miles, traded May 2019
    2011 Timeless Black RTS-SE5, 15,180 Miles, traded April 2014

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by WasWinger View Post
    Coming back home from Louisiana last fall and driving I-15 through Salt Lake City after seeing one of these signs I said to myself, "Great! I'll ride in the HOV lane."

My euphoria was short lived though when I saw this sign. I was pulling my tent-on-a-trailer behind me.

Yes in Utah trailers are not allowed in the HOV/Express or Left(Fast Lane). However although licensed as motorcycles,a motorcycle endorsement is not required. Weird laws.
    2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by YIRYDE View Post
    In VA they are classified as motorcycle's and can be driven in the HOV lanes and HOT lanes (I495 and I95) free of charge. ....Please note that autocycles are not classified as motorcycles under Federal or Virginia code. Autocycle users must pay a toll with an E-ZPass if they chose to travel on the Express Lanes.
    Autocycle, as in Slingshot and Elio? Maybe the designation has already taken hold!

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by WasWinger View Post
    Autocycle, as in Slingshot and Elio? Maybe the designation has already taken hold!
    You can than the nearly defunct company, Elio Motors, for that "Autocycle" designation.
    Dan

2012 Viper Red Rt
    upgrades:
    Baja Ron's Anti-Sway
    Diamond-R Arm Rests
    Gloriders
    High mount brake light
    chrome front fender garnish
    Bad Boy Horn
    Chrome Deflector Rack
    Chrome Scuff Nose Accent
    Handlebar Grip Fringe
    Gremlin Bells

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Dan_Ashley View Post
    You can than the nearly defunct company, Elio Motors, for that "Autocycle" designation.
    Elio is nearly defunct?
    Happy Spyder Owner