Spyder Garage

Default 2014 RT GPS power source

Oh boy....another GPS question. Just bought new 2014 RT (no analog temp or fuel gauges) and was hoping to add a power plug for my gps in the hole where the analog temp gauge is on the S & Limited models. The wiring is there on the RT but I can't seem to detect any available power. Do not have shop manual, so thought I'd ask....should there be power available there on the RT or is the wiring not connected somewhere else?

Correction.....after thinking about this for a while I decided that just maybe I didn't have a true ground, and that turned out to be the case. Turns out there are 2 hot leads available. The wiring consists of an L shaped piece with 3 female plug sockets in it and a separate wire with a push-on connector. Both the separate wire and one of the female sockets are hot. I'm guessing the separate wire is the power for the lights in the gauge and the hot plug in the L piece is power to run the gauge mechanism. Now I wonder which of the other 2 plugs in the L piece is ground? Of the 2 remaining plugs in the L piece one needs to be ground and the other probably feeds data from the computer. I'm afraid to put a continuity test (to check for ground) on either of the plugs for fear of sending current back up the line to the computer. Any ideas?
    Last edited by spyderman43; 03-31-2015 at 09:20 AM. Reason: Correction

Registered Users ursamajor35126's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Look at JT's website.... a sponsor here at SL.... look on the Home page.
    2014 RT Ltd Black Currant, Bump Skid, TricLed 3rd, 4th and 5th Brake Light with Modulator, TricLed Safety Bundle Led's and Reflectors with flasher option, TricLed Vader lights, JT's dash mount and USB outlet. Baker Wings belt tensioner and Drivers cup holder. Lamonster's FFP highway pegs and IPS, BRP Trailer hitch with Bushtec pin and 2007 Bushtec Roadster GT trailer. Volt Meter. Baja Ron Sway Bar. Doc Humphry's spring spacers

Mike

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default I DID THIS

I bought the basic also soooooooooo I put in two 12v cig receptacles in each of the blanks I wired them together and sent a fused wire direct to the battery. One has the lighter the other is for my GPS power.......just a thought.......Mike

Spyder Garage

See my gps video in DIY.

Plenty of places to pull 12v from.

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black
    Bought June 2013 with 450 miles. 27K on 8-1-2017.
    Farkles - DIY Trunk Break Light, HMT Break Light, DIY Mirror Turn Signal Lights, DIY Bluetooth Dongle, DIY iPod Setup, DIY Alarm System Install, Show Chrome front fender / rear saddle bag lights, 4th break light around the trunk, Vented Windshield, Baja Ron Sway Bar, DIY GPS setup, Smooth Spyder, BRP Chrome Mirrors, Adjustable deflectors, Triaxis handlebars, NVB Pegs, Bad Boy Airhorn... More to come
    2011 RT-S SM5 , Baja Ron Black

Spyder Garage

Default Thanks

Thanks to all who replied. I think I'm gonna' try grabbing 12V from the temp gauge circuit since it's already really handy using the red for power and black for ground.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by spyderman43 View Post
    Thanks to all who replied. I think I'm gonna' try grabbing 12V from the temp gauge circuit since it's already really handy using the red for power and black for ground.
    Just so you know. Use the gauge stab on connector that lights the bulb in the analog gauge. Ground is the center pin of the triangular gauge connector.

Do not use any other wires from the gauge as they go through the cluster.

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black
    Farkles - DIY Trunk Break Light, HMT Break Light, DIY Mirror Turn Signal Lights, DIY Bluetooth Dongle, DIY iPod Setup, DIY Alarm System Install, Show Chrome front fender / rear saddle bag lights, 4th break light around the trunk, Vented Windshield, Baja Ron Sway Bar, DIY GPS setup, Smooth Spyder, BRP Chrome Mirrors, Adjustable deflectors, Triaxis handlebars, NVB Pegs, Bad Boy Airhorn... More to come

Spyder Garage

Default ???

Quote Originally Posted by finless View Post
    Just so you know. Use the gauge stab on connector that lights the bulb in the analog gauge. Ground is the center pin of the triangular gauge connector.

Do not use any other wires from the gauge as they go through the cluster.

Bob
    Forgive me, I'm electrically challenged with anything beyond changing a light bulb. Just to be sure, you are saying I should hook my ground to the center plug (goes to black wire) on the triangular connector AND that I should pick up the + at the hot plug on the triangular connector(goes to org w/ purp stripe wire) and NOT from that separate wire (also org w/ purp stripe). And, in either case I avoid the plug on the triangular connector that connects to the white wire.

I'm sure that clarifying this will help many readers...the question appears all over the forum but not clearly answered. Thanks, Bob.
    Dan

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by spyderman43 View Post
    Forgive me, I'm electrically challenged with anything beyond changing a light bulb. Just to be sure, you are saying I should hook my ground to the center plug (goes to black wire) on the triangular connector AND that I should pick up the + at the hot plug on the triangular connector(goes to org w/ purp stripe wire) and NOT from that separate wire (also org w/ purp stripe). And, in either case I avoid the plug on the triangular connector that connects to the white wire.

I'm sure that clarifying this will help many readers...the question appears all over the forum but not clearly answered. Thanks, Bob.
    Dan
    There are 4 wires that connect to the gauge.
    Three are in the triangular plug. DO NOT USE those except for the center pin which is ground. The other 2 wires on this triangular connector go through the cluster. You do not want to burn out your cluster (expensive).

There is a single wire with a stab on "blade" style connector that goes to the gauge. This is a fused and switched on by the key 12V which runs the internal light bulb in the gauge.
    Use that for your GPS.

Make sense now?

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black

Spyder Garage

Red face Now we're talkin'!

Quote Originally Posted by finless View Post
    There are 4 wires that connect to the gauge.
    Three are in the triangular plug. DO NOT USE those except for the center pin which is ground. The other 2 wires on this triangular connector go through the cluster. You do not want to burn out your cluster (expensive).

There is a single wire with a stab on "blade" style connector that goes to the gauge. This is a fused and switched on by the key 12V which runs the internal light bulb in the gauge.
    Use that for your GPS.

Make sense now?

Bob
    That is exactly what I was hunting. Thank you so much.

Spyder Garage

its a little more work ,but the rt is wired for a power outlet in the frt. compartment, I pulled the nose off and put spades in those connectors and ran the wires up to the dash and put a power source in the speaker grille like I seen someone else do on here. I figured that way I was using the wires that were already there for their intended purpose and fused