Thread: AIR HORNS

Spyder Garage

Default AIR HORNS

I HAVE THESE AIR-HORNS IN MY TUNDRA -
    http://www.harborfreight.com/12-volt...orn-40134.html

THESE ARE NICE AND LOUD, THEY GET PEOPLES ATTENTION...
    HAS ANYONE INSTALLED THESE, OR SOME LIKE THEM, ON THEIR F3 YET...?
    I WAS LOOKING INSIDE THE FRONT GRILL, AND THERE IS PLENTY OF ROOM FOR THESE....
    ALSO,
    WHERE IS THE F3's HORN POSITIONED....????
    DAN P
    SPYD3R F3-S

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Cool

When I finally get my F3-S these : http://www.amazon.co.uk/Motorcycle-N.../dp/B0067M6K7W

will be fitted during the build from the crate.......when I finally get the F3-S...if I live that long!

Spyder Garage

Default SWEET

Quote Originally Posted by OJ UK View Post
    When I finally get my F3-S these : http://www.amazon.co.uk/Motorcycle-N.../dp/B0067M6K7W

will be fitted during the build from the crate.......when I finally get the F3-S...if I live that long!
    i searched the web and never saw those.... SWEET.... BEEP BEEP.....

as for your F3.... what's taking so long...? i've been riding mine for over 2 months now... look it, can't say enough about it and it's power and handling...
    maybe the F4 with be a 4 cylinder... can't wait for the
    F8....
    Dan P
    SPYD3R F3-S
    USA

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SPYD3R View Post
    I HAVE THESE AIR-HORNS IN MY TUNDRA -
    http://www.harborfreight.com/12-volt...orn-40134.html

THESE ARE NICE AND LOUD, THEY GET PEOPLES ATTENTION...
    HAS ANYONE INSTALLED THESE, OR SOME LIKE THEM, ON THEIR F3 YET...?
    I WAS LOOKING INSIDE THE FRONT GRILL, AND THERE IS PLENTY OF ROOM FOR THESE....
    ALSO,
    WHERE IS THE F3's HORN POSITIONED....????
    DAN P
    SPYD3R F3-S
    F3 horn is underneath the front end, across from front right tire. Access panel underneath needs to be pulled down. Horn faces right front tire, bottom of F3 and covered - no wonder no one can hear it.
    2020 RT Ride Frequent Stay Safe
    Aftermarket Aux Light, GPS mounting/wiring, Lamonster Garage Mirror Lock, Lamonster Garage Belt Tensioner
    Backrest Home Brew Mod

2008 RS from 2008 through 4/2015, 2015 F3-S from 4/2015 through 9/2020

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by SPYD3R View Post
    i searched the web and never saw those.... SWEET.... BEEP BEEP.....

as for your F3....
    what's taking so long...? i've been riding mine for over 2 months now... look it, can't say enough about it and it's power and handling...
    maybe the F4 with be a 4 cylinder... can't wait for the
    F8....
    Dan P
    SPYD3R F3-S
    USA
    I live in the UK that's why....The guys in New Zealand won't be getting theirs 'til June!! (Right in the middle of their winter)
    We're just small unimportant markets and there are only around 350 Spyders in the UK.

Those Stebel horns are great, very loud and yet compact....I have one on my car as well.

Spyder Garage

Default QUEEN

Quote Originally Posted by OJ UK View Post
    I live in the UK that's why....The guys in New Zealand won't be getting theirs 'til June!! (Right in the middle of their winter)
    We're just small unimportant markets and there are only around 350 Spyders in the UK.

Those Stebel horns are great, very loud and yet compact....I have one on my car as well.

THE
    QUEEN WILL BE JEALOUS WHEN SHE SEES YOU PASS BY......
    AND GET READY, BECAUSE YOU'LL BE
    ENGLANDS NEW ROCK STAR....
    dp

Spyder Garage

Default Space..!!

those are great but mounting is tough. I have the wolo bad boy which mounted in the same location as the oem. With a little planning you should be able to get them mounted up...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

I put this horn on my wife's STL. 150 db. It is really loud. Once I took out the air box, there was plenty of room.

Attached Images Attached Images

Spyder Garage

Default YOU

SO THAT'S YOU I HEAR DOWN HERE IN SOUTH CAROLINA.....
    dp

Spyder Garage

The Stebel Nautilus and the Wolo Bad Boy are almost identical, both have between 135 and 140 db sound level. I had a Nautilus on my GS, fairly easy install.
    Harbor Freight stocks the Bad Boy.

john

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Electrical issues of air horn?

I know the Spyder has a pretty advanced electrical system, do I need to do anything special when wiring an air horn? I had Rivco install a horn in my 2012 RT and I loved it, but now I want to try it myself on my 2014. Any tips or suggestions?

Thanks, Tom
    Get your motor runnin'
    Head out on that highway...

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Spyderflyer1 View Post
    I know the Spyder has a pretty advanced electrical system, do I need to do anything special when wiring an air horn? I had Rivco install a horn in my 2012 RT and I loved it, but now I want to try it myself on my 2014. Any tips or suggestions?

Thanks, Tom
    Yes Tom. You must run the horn via a relay. These horns draw 18 - 22 amps and the existing wiring won't reliably take the load.
    You use the original horn wiring to power the primary side (switch) of the relay and then run a new fused (30amp) positive wire from the battery
    to the secondary (load) side of the relay. The Stebel Nautilus is supplied with a relay in the kit here in the UK. All you then need is an in-line
    fuse holder, a 30A fuse and a few feet of heavier wire.

Spyder Garage

Actually OJ,

I didn't use a relay on the air horn I put on my wife's STL. I just disconnected the OE horn and ran the leads to the new air horn pump. I have blasted it several times in the last week, and there have been no issues. I have even held the horn on for 5 seconds without any problems. Maybe, if you lay on the horn for a long time there might be an issue, but most people won't do that. As long as you disconnect the horn that is on the bike it should be ok. The worst that will happen is that you will blow a fuse. If that happens often then put on a relay.

Brian

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Cool

Thanks Brian. I realise that on an intermittent basis the stock wiring and switch should be able to
    handle twice the current it was designed to take....I was just making sure that any suggestion that
    I made was in fact 100% safe.
    Once you have bought the few bucks worth of extra wire, termination, fuse and
    fuse holder plus a few nylon ties the job won't take too many minutes. The F3's battery is easily accessible
    and speaking as an electrical engineer it is the correct way.
    Worst case scenario: The idiot in front of you has just moved out as you were about to pass, so you give him
    a long blast but when you release the horn button it keeps on sounding.....the horn switch contacts have welded
    themselves together. (I have seen this!) Then that wiring harness overheats and some of the insulation melts
    causing a short circuit elsewhere......the fuse won't necessarily blow either.

Spyder Garage

Aerostitch has a harness complete with the relay plug in that works with the Nautilus, it has an in line fuse and the connectors to go to the battery. When I installed mine on my GS, I left the stock horn connected and used PosiTaps to get the power to the relay coil. Be sure to use some dielectric grease on the relay tabs, they can get tarnished and nonconductive without it.

john