Thread: GPS location

Spyder Garage

Default GPS location

I have a 2012 RT limited with Zumo 660 GPS located in center of handlebars with standard mounting bracket. I don't like this location for a number of reasons, number one being I have a hard time seeing and I don't like looking down and taking eyes off road. I have had a number of bikes on which I mounted the GPS on ram mount to handlebars. With different length ram extensions you can get GPS up to where you don't have to look down as far. Question is, does anyone make a bracket that fits Spyder handlebars or is it not a good idea to mount GPS on bars. I am retired tool & die maker and have made a number of different things for bikes in the past, I could make bracket if I was sure that it would work and not damage handlebar. What are your thought?

Spyder Garage

Get it up to eye level so you're not looking down. I mounted my cradle right to the front dash edge with two screws. If you snoop around here on the site, or use the search tab in the upper right of your screen (enter GPS mounting) you'll find something you like
    2016 RTS , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

look under JTs machine shop one of the sponsors on home page just what you are looking for

Spyder Garage

Here is the best place for me.ImageUploadedByTapatalk1427328380.557223.jpg

Another Day To Be My Kid's Dad [emoji379]
    2015 F3-S. And Another Day To Be My Kids Dad

Spyder Garage

Default DIY...!!

Have seen the ball mounted to the bars at the center then using the best arm for ryder..mine is an RS but you can get the idea...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Wow! The man has an RT with a Zumo 660 not a F3 or RS. Lets not confuse him, as he has only been a member here for a month.

Moving the 660 is not easy, lots of internal wiring to re route if moving to the dash. It has been done, do some searches here or hopefully someone with experience moving the 660 will chime in. I would like to move my 660 too, never found an acceptable solution for me.
    Try this link http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...a-Zumo-up-high
    Last edited by Frank G; 03-26-2015 at 04:23 AM. Reason: added link

Spyder Garage

Guys I guess I am just a stubborn old fart......I would still like to mount GPS on left handlebar if possible. I have mounted GPS units in this location on a number of bikes that I have had in past and this seem to be best location for me. It's close to you so you can see screen, you don't have to reach forward to touch screen, and if sun is glaring on screen you can shade screen with your hand. Again anyone know is the cover on bars is strong enough to mount GPS?

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Available at Value Accessories, on the Home page. "Ram Yoke Clamp Mount with 1" Ball" Designed for the RT Handle bar.

Very Active Member stormtrooper's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

+ 1 on JT's machine shop dash mount bracket.Have it installed on my RT and like it a lot

2014 RT-S SE6 Pearl White

Grip Puppies, 12 volt power outlet, BRP comfort seat, Tri-Axis adjustable handlebars, BajaRons sway bar & links, Spyderpops Bump Skid w/Inlaid LED's & Stainless steel Kott grilles,SmoothSpyder belt tensioner,Carbon fiber dipped wind deflectors,Lamonster NBV highway brackets,Lamonster cat delete pipe,

Spyder Garage

Look, after doing a 9 hour drive in THE SUN up California's San Joaquin Valley, I am telling you this is where I love my GPS PERIOD...

I would not put anything above the dash and no offense to JT but it is just not my thing.

This location works for me so well because it is under the dash lip and out of the sun EXCEPT when the sun is at my back and on the left which rarely ever happens.

You are never going to mount a GPS so it will be 100% visible based on sunlight conditions. GPS hoods and all that when mounted above the dash work EXCEPT for certain conditions just like I have! Oh and personally... UGLY as hell! No thank you...

One beauty of where I mounted mine... a simple had gesture from the left handlebar grip, solves sunlight condition issues when I have them!

This is where I think the GPS works best.... Only other BEST way? BRP puts the GPS screen on the cluster dash panel...

Bob
    Last edited by finless; 03-27-2015 at 08:58 AM.
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black
    Bought June 2013 with 450 miles. 27K on 8-1-2017.
    Farkles - DIY Trunk Break Light, HMT Break Light, DIY Mirror Turn Signal Lights, DIY Bluetooth Dongle, DIY iPod Setup, DIY Alarm System Install, Show Chrome front fender / rear saddle bag lights, 4th break light around the trunk, Vented Windshield, Baja Ron Sway Bar, DIY GPS setup, Smooth Spyder, BRP Chrome Mirrors, Adjustable deflectors, Triaxis handlebars, NVB Pegs, Bad Boy Airhorn... More to come
    2011 RT-S SM5 , Baja Ron Black

Spyder Garage

Lightbulb Not as easy as it looks

Quote Originally Posted by JayHawker View Post
    I have a 2012 RT limited with Zumo 660 GPS located in center of handlebars with standard mounting bracket. I don't like this location for a number of reasons, number one being I have a hard time seeing and I don't like looking down and taking eyes off road. I have had a number of bikes on which I mounted the GPS on ram mount to handlebars. With different length ram extensions you can get GPS up to where you don't have to look down as far. Question is, does anyone make a bracket that fits Spyder handlebars or is it not a good idea to mount GPS on bars. I am retired tool & die maker and have made a number of different things for bikes in the past, I could make bracket if I was sure that it would work and not damage handlebar. What are your thought?
    Stop by your friendly dealer and get them to print you a set of installation instructions for the installation of a new Garmin. This will show you how much "support" wiring is required for the GPS. You would have to do a complete uninstall followed by a complete reinstall. Gather all the facts that you can and decide if it is for you. I did install a Zuno 660 on my 2010 RT so I have an idea what is required. I did add the adjustable bracket later after it was invented. Remember : All things are possible.

Spyder Garage

Cool GPS Location

Quote Originally Posted by Frank G View Post
    Available at Value Accessories, on the Home page. "Ram Yoke Clamp Mount with 1" Ball" Designed for the RT Handle bar.

I use this same mount on my RT, tip the mount a little forward toward the dash instead of directly on top and use the arm, puts my Garmin 50LM above the left bar and is easy to see and hear. Dealer mounted a 12v plug in the dash for me so seconds to hook up or remove and stow away. As mine is a RT-S it did not come with factory GPS, one note though-I have the Tri-Ax adjustable bars so had to get a slightly larged hose clamp and the hardware store.
    Greetings from Idaho

2014 RT-S,
    Barjaron swaybar, chome luggage rack, Ram Mount GPS, 12 volt dash outlet, spyderflap mudflap, Rivco flag mounts, drink2go and custom handlebar drink holders,Driver Backrest,Tri-Axis Handlebars, TRICLed turn signal lights. Custon Dynamic Magic Strobe Brake Modulator, Triple Dash Pouches, "Squared Away" Laser Alignment, Spyderpops Bumpskid, TricLed "Knightrider" LED

2014 RT , White (Mine) Cognac (wifes)

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Finless

Finless,
    How did you power the GPS in that location? Did you reroute the wiring, add all new, etc?
    2015 RT Limited , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

Default Another for JT's machine shop

On the home page, great product, called the dash mount.
    Last edited by The-BigDog-30; 04-09-2015 at 12:15 PM.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by stormtrooper View Post
    + 1 on JT's machine shop dash mount bracket.Have it installed on my RT and like it a lot
    How did you run the cables, original hook up or just a 12 volt plug to the dash? If you used original cables, how did you run them to the new location?
    2015 RT Limited , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by GreenDragon View Post
    Finless,
    How did you power the GPS in that location? Did you reroute the wiring, add all new, etc?
    See my video in the DIY section as I show all off the wiring.

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black
    Bought June 2013 with 450 miles. 27K on 8-1-2017.
    Farkles - DIY Trunk Break Light, HMT Break Light, DIY Mirror Turn Signal Lights, DIY Bluetooth Dongle, DIY iPod Setup, DIY Alarm System Install, Show Chrome front fender / rear saddle bag lights, 4th break light around the trunk, Vented Windshield, Baja Ron Sway Bar, DIY GPS setup, Smooth Spyder, BRP Chrome Mirrors, Adjustable deflectors, Triaxis handlebars, NVB Pegs, Bad Boy Airhorn... More to come
    2011 RT-S SM5 , Baja Ron Black

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Site to look at that carries GPS Mounts

Quote Originally Posted by JayHawker View Post
    Hi, You may want to take a look at this site. http://www.leadermotorcycle.com/motorcycle-gps-mounts/ They carry a number of GPS mounts that may work for what you need.

Spyder Garage

Here is a link to JT's mount at his store . . . http://gnipsel.com/spyderstore/index...&product_id=50

"Topper" is my Pearl White 2013 RT-LTD

Professional Retiree - liked it so much when I retired from the USAF, that I started another career so I could do it again!

Happy to be a member of the Maryland Spyder Web - find us at

http://www.meetup.com/MarylandSpyderWeb/

2013 RT Limited , White (the fastest color!)

Spyder Garage

Here is my Zumo 550 mounted on the dash.

JT

Spyder Garage

Noticed in the above photograph a 12 volt outlet placed where the fuel guage was originally located. Obviously there are no shortage of 12 volt power outlets available on the market but I've been unable to locate similar unit as shown in photograph that so neatly replaces fuel guage. Any assistance in locating an outlet with similar backing plate would be appreciated.

Spyder Garage

Default GPS location

2015 RT-S
    2015 SE6 RT-S
    Black/Red Special Edition.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by KennW View Post
    Noticed in the above photograph a 12 volt outlet placed where the fuel guage was originally located. Obviously there are no shortage of 12 volt power outlets available on the market but I've been unable to locate similar unit as shown in photograph that so neatly replaces fuel guage. Any assistance in locating an outlet with similar backing plate would be appreciated.
    I make and sell them at my store. Click on JT's Machine Shop & Spyder Accessories in my signature.

JT

Spyder Garage

Many thanks JT

Spyder Garage

Default GPS MOUNT

Quote Originally Posted by Frank G View Post

I've used this mount for several years. It's very secure.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by KennW View Post
    Many thanks JT
    You're welcome and I ship to Down Under, no problem mate.

JT