Thread: Question

Spyder Garage

Default Question

I've several demo rides on the F3 freeway included up to 85 no windshield. So all the people talking about buffeting. My question is what type of helmet do you wear?
    Thanks just wondering I've had no problem on my Demo rides.

Spyder Garage

The buffeting is WITH the windshield.

I was using a Shoei Multitec but just got the Schuberth C3 Pro. Less buffeting and quieter with the Schuberth. In the end, the windshield will make the biggest difference.
    2022 Spyder RT SEA-TO-SKY Mystery Blue... (bought new May 2023, a work in progress...)

2015 Can-Am Red F3-S, SE6
    CalSci shield, Elka stage 5 rear shock, stage 4 front shocks, Akrapovic silencer, BajaRon Bar, Roadster Renovations vibration dampener, Tricled LED headlights and auxiliary lights, driver floorboard, driver and passenger backrests, Tricled Safety Led package, Shad BRP/SH36 side cases, Baker built luggage rack, Tricled Rear run/brake/turn signal led, Tricled LED piezo brake bullet strobe, JDM Astar LED bulbs for rear and front lights, Airhawk seat pad, USB power outlet

Spyder Garage

Default Curious..!!

Just want to know what we wear or specific to the F3 with no windshield..?? We use the modular helmets. Buffetting is more of a windshield/helmet problem anyway finding the combination can be tricky. Open face tend to get more of the buffetting than the full face...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Default Shoberth

Quote Originally Posted by ABQSpyder View Post
    I've several demo rides on the F3 freeway included up to 85 no windshield. So all the people talking about buffeting. My question is what type of helmet do you wear?
    I have BR windshield, if my full face is open, I don't have that buffeting if it is closed (because of cold weather) I have it and a loud noise inside. Mine is Schuberth C pro

F3S - 2015 magnesium (BR windshield, heated grip, USB, extra 12 V, Zumo 590), backrest, saddlebags, floorboards. Laser alignment.
    ST Limited 2014
    Bajaron Sway-bar
    laser alignmet

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I wore a Shoei Multi-Tec when I test drove the F3 and it isn't so much buffeting as the feeling that I would fly off the back of the bike. The pressure on my body was such that my hands fell asleep trying to not fly off it.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Yes I wear a full face no buffetting just wind hitting my chest. I had a tinted shorty on my RT. Probably would only put a shield on for long trip on the slab. Thanks for your input so far.

Spyder Garage

Default No Windshield

On my demo ride I wore a full face and yes there was no buffeting, just direct wind blast which was strong above 60 mph. At higher speeds above 70 mph (which I didn't do), I would think it would get tiring to be fighting against it sitting upright. I prefer to wear my half helmet and I know from doing past demo rides on open bikes without windshields how my shorty lid gets pulled. I guess you'd say I'm spoiled for having a windshield, kind of an "old man thing". For me a windshield has to come up to at least the height of my chin and at most the height of my nose to be able to see over yet not get blasted in the face.

Spyder Garage

After I turned 30 a windshield became a must

For me anyhow it makes the ride so much simpler

I have a friend who at 60 still says no need
    He is 60 going on 18 & claims to like it
    Dunno --

Spyder Garage

It probably depends on how long you're on the highway also. I have a gauge spoiler and that works for me most of the time. I wear a full-face Shoei helmet. I notice when I go high speeds, the helmet is pushed back on my face and if there is any other wind (cross/whatever), I'll get some gusts that feel like my head will get ripped off. The first day I rode at high speeds, I felt like I was fighting the backwards pressure and had the death grip that was mentioned already in this thread. Day 2 I tried leaning forward slightly at the waist so that my shoulders and hands could relax and I lost the death grip. It's pretty comfortable with the full face helmet for most of my rides. I notice that I get a stiff neck at the end of a longer ride at higher speeds, so could I do it all day long every day on a road trip? No. I ended up getting the BR windshields for the all-day highway-speed rides. I did try my half-helmet with that and it's fine. I will have to try the half-helmet with just the gauge spoiler but we're just now getting to some "half helmet weather" days here in CO for me.
    We now have His and Hers Spyders!
    Current Spyder: White 2015 F3-S SE6
    His Spyder: White 2015 F3 SE6

Previous Spyder: 2012 RT Limited SE5 -- 30,300 miles
    Previous rides: Kawasaki & Honda
    2015 F3 , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

I'm wondering if the windshield with the adjustable vent in it (like the RT windshield) would take care of the buffeting issues ?
    I, like others, am at a crossroad, F3 or another RT.

Tommy J.
    Last edited by fireplug98; 03-25-2015 at 10:16 AM.
    F3L SE5 Black -- F4 windshield w/wings, Reggie LED headlights, driving lights & Cyclops LED, Ultimate seat, Fox shocks, BajaRon swaybar, Lamont highway centerline pegs & 3rd peg, Lamont belt tensioner, K&N air filter, Baker air wings & cup holder, CanAm hitch.
    2019 F3L , Black

Spyder Garage

When I test rode the F3 the first time, I did not go more than 50mph so I really did not feel any wind issues. Since it was colder, I was wearing my Nolan modular helmet.
    The second time I test rode the F3 with the demo rides, I went over 60 with the same helmet and felt my chest being hit hard with the winds on high speeds so I knew I needed a windshield.
    I am now riding my F3 with a Blue Ridge windshield and with a 3/4 helmet with no issues!
    May all your encounters with the law begin with the words: "nice trike!".[/B]
    2015 Can-Am Spyder F3-S SM-6 Can-am Red/Black SM-6 with 2010 Black RT-622 trailer (hitch in the works).

Previously owned:
    2010 Can-Am Spyder RT SM-5
    2011 Can-Am Spyder RS-S SM-5
    2013 Can-Am Spyder RT-S SM-5

Spyder Garage

Default Question

Well I will have hands on experience with wind in a couple weeks. I just bought a F3 and will be riding it home from MO. to AZ.

Spyder Garage

Well I will have hands on experience with wind in a couple weeks. I just bought a F3 and will be riding it home from MO. to AZ.
    Congrats!!!! You will love it. I too went RT to F3....no regrets!!
    2015 F3 S se6
    2014 Jaguar F-Type V8S
    2006 Dodge Ram SRT-10 Supercharged
    2005 Roush Mustang Supercharged
    2013 Dodge Ram 2500 for towing/snowplowing

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Followme2DQ View Post
    Congrats!!!! You will love it. I too went RT to F3....no regrets!!
    My five or so demo rides sealed the deal!
    The kicker was when my wife saw it and said she loved it! Sold

Spyder Garage

Default Buffeting

Id describe it more as a small typhoon blast at 70 miles an hour. You are a better man than I, or a more streamlined man. Ride Safe!

Ron

Spyder Garage

Default Flying off the back!

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderAnn01 View Post
    I wore a Shoei Multi-Tec when I test drove the F3 and it isn't so much buffeting as the feeling that I would fly off the back of the bike. The pressure on my body was such that my hands fell asleep trying to not fly off it.
    I agree with you, Ann. Blue ridge windshield solved 60% of the problem, and Sport X-Creen solves about 90%. I love my F3,but still having withdrawals from my ST.

Ron

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderAnn01 View Post
    220,000 Mile Spyder Ryder, IBA Premier member #59352, Saddlesore 1000 (11), Bun Burner 1500 (3), Saddlesore 2000 (2), Bun Burner Gold, MILEEATER SILVER

Spyder Garage

Now that I have a tall tail bag fully loaded to function as a backrest, I no longer have the problem of feeling pulled off the bike or pushed around
    220,000 Mile Spyder Ryder, IBA Premier member #59352, Saddlesore 1000 (11), Bun Burner 1500 (3), Saddlesore 2000 (2), Bun Burner Gold, MILEEATER SILVER

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Ronbo View Post
    Id describe it more as a small typhoon blast at 70 miles an hour. You are a better man than I, or a more streamlined man. Ride Safe!

Ron
    No just anchored well by my weight lol

Spyder Garage

Default Tail Bag

Which tail bag did you go with? do you have any pics with it on your F3? And did you have a backrest to mount it to, or did you just mount to the handle brackets of the F3?

Quote Originally Posted by BikerDoc View Post
    Now that I have a tall tail bag fully loaded to function as a backrest, I no longer have the problem of feeling pulled off the bike or pushed around

Spyder Garage

Default Congratulations! ! !

. . . . . that should be some ride! With my experience (1.5k) on a F3 and Spyders in general, I would have no concerns doing what you are planning. Are you doing it in 3 days?

Maybe you remember us meeting a few years ago. At the time I thought you and the RT were a perfect match, what got you interested in a F3?

Tom
    2008 GS SE5 -> 2013 STS SE5 -> 2015 F3-S SE6 . . . Still riding & smiling.

Spyder Garage

Tom in NM

I'm riding with a friend of mine who also bought a F3. We were hoping to do in 2 days but always subject to change.
    Interest in the F3 came from my friend Jim who just kept going on about the F3. The first time I sat on it I really liked the feel. It will never duplicate my 2 wheels R1100RT which I still miss. The RT is a fine machine and I enjoyed very much but it never had that feeling of a 2 wheeler. Handle bars and seat position of F3 at least feel like a motorcycle. I know that statement will infuriate some people just my thoughts. I have a picture of me sitting on my dads Harley 1953 can remember standing on the back seat going 70 and it was awesome. Sorry to get of subject. I'll give a report on the trip. My son still lives in Albuquerque so maybe sometime I get that way I'll give you a holler.

Ride safe
    Larry

Spyder Garage

It was no different than riding a stock motorcycle without a shield but after owning an RT I was caught off guard! I did a fast blip and shifted full throttle but by the time I hit 50 I realized I was sliding back on the seat (I am a short guy at 5'8") which caused me to pull the throttle further open. I then realized I could not reach the brake anymore as it was set up for a long legged person. By the time I got it sorted out I had 100+ and was running out of road, lol. I got off the throttle and started down shifting and quickly slid foward again and could read the brake.

When I got back I found out they had to leg length version out for the test ride, I got the wrong one by mistake. Buffeting...it felt like I was being pulled off the bike by invisable hands, lol.

Spyder Garage

Tom in NM

I'm riding with a friend of mine who also bought a F3. We were hoping to do in 2 days but always subject to change.
    Interest in the F3 came from my friend Jim who just kept going on about the F3. The first time I sat on it I really liked the feel. It will never duplicate my 2 wheels R1100RT which I still miss. The RT is a fine machine and I enjoyed very much but it never had that feeling of a 2 wheeler. Handle bars and seat position of F3 at least feel like a motorcycle. I know that statement will infuriate some people just my thoughts. I have a picture of me sitting on my dads Harley 1953 can remember standing on the back seat going 70 and it was awesome. Sorry to get of subject. I'll give a report on the trip. My son still lives in Albuquerque so maybe sometime I get that way I'll give you a holler.

Ride safe
    Larry
    I also went with the F3 because it felt more like a bike which has got me back riding.