Spyder Garage

Default New Spyder Owner with Questions - 2009 Silver GS

Well the Yellow 2009 Spyder GS we were looking at didn't pan out so we we ended up with a 2009 Silver GS instead. It has 11k miles on it. Guy we bought it off of bought it last year from a dealer and only put about 1000k miles on it since he bought it. Says the dealer did a fresh oil change before he bought it. We went and picked it up on Saturday and the wife is pretty excited. I ride an Arlen Ness Victory Vision so the Spyder will be the wife's but I have to admit I will enjoy riding it for sure as well. Have a few questions for folks if you don't mind.

1) What seat is on this thing?
    2) Speaking of seats - the seat doesn't stay up - Is there an upgrade shock for that?
    3) I'm thinking the floorboards might be a homemade job - anyone know what boards these are?
    4) Seems much "buzzier" than my Vision - highway speeds of 65-70mph and my feet on the boards - was a lot of vibration going through my feet.
    5) Brakes are very squeeky. Seems this might be very common?
    6) Parking brake wasn't holding - but a quick youtube video helped me adjust that. Now I've noticed the ratchet doesn't want to always release right. Brake will come up - but the little lever won't setting back right and won't turn off the parking brake warning light until I continue to jiggle it.
    7) What's the story with the Handlebar Riser?
    8) Minus the Passenger Backrest and Tall Windshield - any additional "options" on this thing I'm missing?
    9) It has an ISCI Fan Can on it but I noticed the right side still gets very hot! Any fixes for this?

Thanks all!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Jdr00ejr; 03-23-2015 at 07:38 AM.
    2016 F3S , Triple Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Congratulations..!!

Nice looking roadster... as for your questions...
    Don't know whos seat , there are many and some came with a swingdown arm to hold the heavier seat up. Auto parts have stronger supports.
    Same on the floorboards. Have not seen that style but it looks like they did a lot of work on the unit. Custom wheels are nice
    Squealing brakes is not uncommon but cleaning the will help. Brake dust accumulates.
    not sure about the park brake on the se5.
    The fan can works but spyderpops (sponsor on home page) has very good heat management systems for that. Heat wrap the exhaust helps too
    Again many risers may need them for the larger windshield.
    Enjoy your new ryde and be safe...
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Jdr00ejr View Post
    Well the Yellow 2009 Spyder GS we were looking at didn't pan out so we we ended up with a 2009 Silver GS instead. It has 11k miles on it. Guy we bought it off of bought it last year from a dealer and only put about 1000k miles on it since he bought it. Says the dealer did a fresh oil change before he bought it. We went and picked it up on Saturday and the wife is pretty excited. I ride an Arlen Ness Victory Vision so the Spyder will be the wife's but I have to admit I will enjoy riding it for sure as well. Have a few questions for folks if you don't mind.

1) What seat is on this thing?
    2) Speaking of seats - the seat doesn't stay up - Is there an upgrade shock for that?
    3) I'm thinking the floorboards might be a homemade job - anyone know what boards these are?
    4) Seems much "buzzier" than my Vision - highway speeds of 65-70mph and my feet on the boards - was a lot of vibration going through my feet.
    5) Brakes are very squeeky. Seems this might be very common?
    6) Parking brake wasn't holding - but a quick youtube video helped me adjust that. Now I've noticed the ratchet doesn't want to always release right. Brake will come up - but the little lever won't setting back right and won't turn off the parking brake warning light until I continue to jiggle it.
    7) What's the story with the Handlebar Riser?
    8) Minus the Passenger Backrest and Tall Windshield - any additional "options" on this thing I'm missing?
    9) It has an ISCI Fan Can on it but I noticed the right side still gets very hot! Any fixes for this?

Thanks all!
    and

A few answers from what I can help with.

Seat: looks like a custom job with the quilted upholstery. Shock not allowing the seat to stay up--I would say it has to do with the re-make of the OEM seat.

Floorboards: Custom. The 08 and 09 came with footpegs.

Buzzy: There was some of that. BRP made some weighted handlebar inserts (about $100) that did the trick for me on both the 08 and the 09.

Squeaky brakes: Yes, the 08/09 did that. You may find as you get more mileage on yours that whatever is causing the squeak may get cleaned off. Wet, or driving on dirt roads will make them squeak again. Backing up usually caused squeaks too.

Parking brake was always an issue on my 09. My 08 had the manual tranny so I never used it. Just kept it in gear. Overstepping the brake lever or failing to release will make it go out of adjustment quickly.

Handlebar riser: Many did not like the position with the OEM. Made driving the GS more like a crotch rocket. I put on the BRP riser (think it was 1.5 inches), it did nothing for me. My dealer made custom 3" risers. I had them on both my 08 and 09. That height worked for me and no more back pain.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Default Floorboards

Those were offered a good while ago by an aftermarket vendor. I can't remember who it was but I've seen some locally. The riser block was also aftermarket before the " cut the bars " type of riser came out. ( maybe ) will we be graded on this quiz ? The parking brake assembly might need a big blast of spray lube to free it all up.
    it was fun while it lasted.

Spyder Garage

and
    Deanna

Current Spyder - 2023 F3 LTD Special Mineral Blue

Red LED NANO Saddlebag Marker Lights with Full Illumination
    Sequential Fender LED'S (Amber/Red) with Safety Reflector
    Dual Power Plate (12 V & USB ports)
    Gremlin Bell
    Rear Trunk Organizer (4 holders, 2 Elastic Holders)
    Lamonster "Top Cuff" with adjustable drink Holder
    SpyderPops Missing Guard Belt
    Console Accent Trim (Carbon Fiber Domed Black)
    Ultimate F3 Floorboards
    Front Fairing Service Access Door Covers (Carbon Fiber Doomed Black)
    Sway Bar with Links
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Half Cover
    A-Arm Daytime Dual Color LED Running Lights with Blinker Module
    Hi-Viz DRL and Sequential Mirrors lights
    Marinco 12Volt Power Receptacle with polarized leads & slide lock
    Show chrome Trunk Shock

Former Spyder - 2014 RTS SE6 Cognac SOLD
    2023 F3 LTD Special Series , N/A N/A Mineral Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by coz View Post
    will we be graded on this quiz ? The parking brake assembly might need a big blast of spray lube to free it all up.
    No Quiz... LOL

What kind of Spray Lube?

Thanks!
    2016 F3S , Triple Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Spyder Garage

"9) It has an ISCI Fan Can on it but I noticed the right side still gets very hot! Any fixes for this?"

Easy fix. The right 'Y' gasket has blown. Go to a Honda shop and get a pair of PN 18392-MAM-000. It's easy to replace both sides once you have the pipes off.

The Honda gaskets last much longer. Have over 40k on the Honda gaskets and no right side heat yet.
    Joy
    Very Happy Ryder...
    '09 Phantom and a '15 F3-S

If you don't slow down, they can't catch you..
    ​If you don't give up, they can't win.
    What a long strange journey its been.

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default NEW RIDE

The riser is one of many versions prior to the most common "dog bone " style that most have ( because they can be adjusted to the rear ).....Yours is a taller version of the BRP accessory piece........and Yazz is correct in telling you to get the HONDA gaskets ....they are way better than BRP's.....If you plan to do your own work ......you can get a manual for about $ 25 ( DISC ) on-line................good luck .....Mike

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

While you are looking at everything else, you might see if the evap canister is still in it and, if so, does the vent hose extend either down to the bottom of the bike or out the back. This was a recall issue at one point in the past on some models. If it is gone, great. If not, below are a couple links to read.

Also, check the gasket on your gas cap and see if it is red or black. If it is black, it may be a recall item, also.

In a perfect world, the dealer that had the bike would make the bike is up to date. but..............

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...light=canister

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...Canisterectomy

Spyder Garage

Default Spray lube

Quote Originally Posted by Jdr00ejr View Post
    No Quiz... LOL

What kind of Spray Lube?

Thanks!
    any kind of wd40 type of product should work.
    it was fun while it lasted.

Spyder Garage

Thanks everyone for all the info. Weather tanked as soon as we got it home. Waiting on nicer days to start playing/checking things out.
    2016 F3S , Triple Black