Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Buying a Used Spyder

Hello,

Looking at purchasing a used 2011 RT SE5 A/C that is located o the west coast, I'm located on the east coast. With that being said, would you have any reservations about purchasing a bike that far away? Any thoughts on the 2011"s? I think this a good deal for a first time Spyder buyer. Thanks for your time and comments and looking forward to a reply. Phil

Spyder Garage

Does the deal involve involve absolutely everything that must be had in a vehicle, including shipping to you, that there are no comparable or better deals closer to home? Too much of a crap shoot for my blood. Do some searching here on SL about the kind of problems you may find with a Spyder of that vintage. Is it covered by an extended warranty that still has reasonable life on it? You pays your money and takes your chances.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

Default Buying used Spyder

Quote Originally Posted by 1vbref View Post
    Hello,

Looking at purchasing a used 2011 RT SE5 A/C that is located o the west coast, I'm located on the east coast. With that being said, would you have any reservations about purchasing a bike that far away? Any thoughts on the 2011"s? I think this a good deal for a first time Spyder buyer. Thanks for your time and comments and looking forward to a reply. Phil
    I have no problem with this model. I have a Viper Red one for sell, half the distance, just saying. No kidding, no issues and saves you about ten thousand dollars. That will buy you lots of add-ons.

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default A THOUGHT / S

Hello,

Unless this Spyder is the bargain of the century why aren't you shopping closer to home. Spyders are not a RARE commodity......just sayin....Mike

Spyder Garage

Default Depends..!

Quick check is to run the vin# to a local dealer and see how up to date it is with service or at least updates. I would do it if I were going to fly out and drive it back as a vacation trip. Shipping will run around $600.00 dollars. Test ryde and close visuals are ou. you could also contact someone in the area to check it out for you. Its a toug call but if the deal is really good...what can one say...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

All advice above is good. I would not buy cross country unless I could see it, test drive it, and have the dealer give it a good check over. They can input the Vin# and come up with a complete service history.

Many have done the buy/ship purchase, but I am just to unlucky at buying used to give that method a try.

Discussions with the dealer and performing above services could negate making a long trip--if you trust the dealer. A purchase from a "known" seller would also make a bit of a difference for me.

Let us know what you decide.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

If you've got the VIN, you can have a dealer run it, and make sure that the bike has had all of the updates taken care of...
    But that's about the barest minimum of things that should be checked...
    Service records, tire and belt conditions, and the ability to look the owner in the eyes and get a "read" on him...
    Buying used; can be buying mis-used, abused, and used-up...
    Please proceed with extreme caution, and Good Luck!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Thanks to everyone that has replied, I will take the advice given and research the bike and continue to look for a deal a little closer to home.

Spyder Garage

Thanks to everyone that has replied, I will take the advice given and research the bike and continue to look for a deal a little closer to home.
    If by chance you are interested in a one owner 2008GS SM5 for a great price, let me know; I'm not that far away. I'm thinking of selling to purchase an F3. Or, maybe you have a friend that is interested. I have all service records.

Spyder Garage

Default Good Advice

Phil, I told you these guys could provide you with some very good input. That's the way they are! Good luck with your search and purchase. If you do find the 'right' Spyder for yourself, you will be glad you did. They're great machines! Keep in touch and let the forum know how you make out. When you do get your first Spyder, I'll meet you half way between our homes and buy you lunch! Can't beat that deal!

LEEB

2014 RT-S Pearl White - 'Miss Pearl'

Spyder Garage

Default long distance spyder purchase

when I purchased mine I got from Indianapolis im from deep south Texas 1650 miles one way

was at a spyder dealership off of eBay low miles was under warranty with extended included

flew in they picked me up at the hotel in the am and I was rolling by noon

no regrets here

another thing to check if you can get the vin is a carfax for accidents and major repairs

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Hello,

Getting it home, by shipping or otherwise, should be a HUGE consideration! I bought my RT from Wisconsin and had it shipped via Haulbikes to Idaho. Cost me almost $1000, which was about 1/2 of any other means of getting it here. All the way cross country will probably be 1 1/2 to 2 times that. Another significant factor is getting it checked out by someone you can trust near the seller unless you plan on flying over to look at it. But flying and driving it back will cost. Then you've got to figure out how to trust the seller if you don't go see the bike in person. In my case the seller was a sales manager at a Cadillac dealership and his name and pic are on the company website. I figured if there was anyone who wasn't going to do something crooked and risk his job he would be it.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Default Rt for Sale

Hello,

I have a beautiful one of a kind Rt, Ltd here on the east coast. 6,688 miles. Vertika running boards (and they're not cheap) Chrome steering wheel, Elka shocks, Carbon in Fiber Dash, lighted license plate , extra lights installed on the trunk areas. Need info, email me, and I'll pictures. One us be on my avatar, or profile picture. Hottest KT on the east
    Me & My Babycakes

Spyder Garage

Check imotorsports.com
    2012 Spyder RS SM5 - Steel Black Metallic "The Murder"
    Southern Cruisers Riding Club - Chapter 072 - Northern Illinois
    Two Brothers M2 Pipe; TB Juice Box; Hartco Custom Saddle; Rivco Driver Floorboards; Rivco Heel Toe Shifter; ESI Highway Pegs & Brackets; ESI 4.5" Easy Riser Handlebar Risers; BajaRon Sway Bar; Cycle Sounds Series 3 200 Watt Sound System; 14" Touring Windshield; Custom Dynamics Mirror Extensions; Kuryakyn ISO Grips; Kuryakyn Throttle Boss; Kuryakyn End Weights; Frunk Liner.