Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default 2012 RT rear brakes HELP!

I decided to tackle changing out the brake pads on my RT. easy right? yea, not so much...
    I go the old pads out and the new ones needed the caliper to get squeezed so they'd fit in... typical... i got a C clamp to squeeze the caliper, cranked it till it stopped and went to install it on the rotor... they're too tight still... i did this 3 times thinking maybe the e-brake was pushed or something... nothing I do will make the brakes spread wide enough.. whats the secret?

The e-brake has been left off, I havent played with anything, no ones hit the brakes with it off the bike... i dont get it... HELP!

Spyder Garage

Default Couple of things...

how worn were the brakes..??did you add fluid at any time..?? Did you adjust the park brake at any time..?? Sometimes you have to drain some fluid from the resevoir to allow the piston to fully retract. If the park brake has been adjusted you may have to release it to allow full retraction. You may also have the piston cocked and it is not going back all the way. Piston should retract to a flush position with the caliper back.. Hope you get it done... suns coming up...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I could not fit mine with the stainless spacers on the rear of the pads so I left them off and put the disc brake quiet goo on the backs. If you got the EBC's from Bajaron he told me they are slightly thicker than the stock ones.
    Last edited by Highwayman2013; 03-21-2015 at 11:45 PM.
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Spyder Garage

Couple of possibilities. Bad seals on the pistons in which case you'll need to rebuild the caliper. Too much fluid. Slightly crack the bleed port then tighten the C clamp some more. Or you may have the wrong pads.

USAF '69-'89 E7
    Thailand/Vietnam 1972
    Member: Royal Order of Rat Bastards

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Ok, got it all together

I got the E-brake bracket off of the brake. this let the e-brake turn counter-clockwise an extra 1/8 of a turn and released the caliper. when i went to put it all back together it wouldnt fit... so I took the round black cover/rear pully loose and slid it off. found that it was indeed splined, so i turned it 2 clicks clock wise. so the stopper was 2mm from the bracket. Got the caliper back on- make sure to mount the e brake cable bracket on or you'll realize you can not get the tools in to tighten it with it on the bike... yea, learned that the hard way.

I played with the adjustment on the cable a little bit and it's all good to go.

So if you cant get the brake pads in, and the caliper is sticking out just a smudge, don't force it... pull that pully off and adjust it.. because someone else did when the pads wore out, and you have to set it back to stock settings.

live and learn... what a headache...

On the plus side.. I got a new rear tire, battery, oil change, and brake pads done... shes ready for summer! I wanted to take it for a test ride, but we got 4" of snow last night.. I think I should wait!
    Last edited by 12RT; 03-22-2015 at 07:13 PM.

Spyder Garage

Congrats! I will remember this when I go to do my breaks!

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black
    Bought June 2013 with 450 miles. 27K on 8-1-2017.
    Farkles - DIY Trunk Break Light, HMT Break Light, DIY Mirror Turn Signal Lights, DIY Bluetooth Dongle, DIY iPod Setup, DIY Alarm System Install, Show Chrome front fender / rear saddle bag lights, 4th break light around the trunk, Vented Windshield, Baja Ron Sway Bar, DIY GPS setup, Smooth Spyder, BRP Chrome Mirrors, Adjustable deflectors, Triaxis handlebars, NVB Pegs, Bad Boy Airhorn... More to come
    2011 RT-S SM5 , Baja Ron Black

Spyder Garage

Default Same problem installing on my 2014 RT Ltd, but...

Quote Originally Posted by 12RT View Post
    Ok, got it all together

I got the E-brake bracket off of the brake. this let the e-brake turn counter-clockwise an extra 1/8 of a turn and released the caliper. when i went to put it all back together it wouldnt fit... so I took the round black cover/rear pully loose and slid it off. found that it was indeed splined, so i turned it 2 clicks clock wise. so the stopper was 2mm from the bracket. Got the caliper back on- make sure to mount the e brake cable bracket on or you'll realize you can not get the tools in to tighten it with it on the bike... yea, learned that the hard way.

I played with the adjustment on the cable a little bit and it's all good to go.

So if you cant get the brake pads in, and the caliper is sticking out just a smudge, don't force it... pull that pully off and adjust it.. because someone else did when the pads wore out, and you have to set it back to stock settings.

live and learn... what a headache...

On the plus side.. I got a new rear tire, battery, oil change, and brake pads done... shes ready for summer! I wanted to take it for a test ride, but we got 4" of snow last night.. I think I should wait!
    the 2014s have Brembo calipers, different design than what was used on the 2012s (I think).

Bought my fully sintered pads from Bajaron and the fronts were a breeze. The rear is a whole different puppy. Once the parking brake cable is removed from the caliper and caliper was released from its mount I pulled the pads. I noticed that the piston was not flush so the service manual said to rotate the parking brake lever counter clockwise to return the piston back. Checked that the lever was already as far counter clockwise as it would go but the piston is still a bit extended. First used a large pair of channel locks to try to press the piston back, no luck. Next a 6 inch clamp, lots of pressure applied, no movement. Maybe it is bottomed out and yet not flush?

Checked with dealer's service guys, good guys who have willingly provided advice in past Spyder projects. They admitted that they have yet to replace brakes on a 2014, so no help.

I have asked Ron to check other rear pads in stock as the set I have has one pad just a bit thicker than the other. Maybe that is the problem. I know, seems I am starting to grab at straws.

Anybody been there and done that on the Brembo equipped 2014 RT?
    2014 RT Ltd Silver Platinum Satin, Ultimate Seat, rider and passenger backrests, Vented Windshield, Adjustable Side Wind Deflectors, Chrome Tri Axis Handlebars with GPS Support, Trailer Hitch Kit, RT-622 Trailer Silver Platinum Satin, Stebil Air Horn, BajaRon's Sway Bar, Spyderpops Bumpskid bike and Trailer, R/T grills, SpyderSisters Front Trunk Pockets, SpyderSisters Sunshade, Spyderflaps Mud Flap, many TricLED lights
    2014 Limited , Silver Playinum Satin

Spyder Garage

Default 14 brakes

Quote Originally Posted by pjweimer View Post
    the 2014s have Brembo calipers, different design than what was used on the 2012s (I think).

Bought my fully sintered pads from Bajaron and the fronts were a breeze. The rear is a whole different puppy. Once the parking brake cable is removed from the caliper and caliper was released from its mount I pulled the pads. I noticed that the piston was not flush so the service manual said to rotate the parking brake lever counter clockwise to return the piston back. Checked that the lever was already as far counter clockwise as it would go but the piston is still a bit extended. First used a large pair of channel locks to try to press the piston back, no luck. Next a 6 inch clamp, lots of pressure applied, no movement. Maybe it is bottomed out and yet not flush?

Checked with dealer's service guys, good guys who have willingly provided advice in past Spyder projects. They admitted that they have yet to replace brakes on a 2014, so no help.

I have asked Ron to check other rear pads in stock as the set I have has one pad just a bit thicker than the other. Maybe that is the problem. I know, seems I am starting to grab at straws.

Anybody been there and done that on the Brembo equipped 2014 RT?

Yes, and a royal PIA! I had the same experience - dealer no help, never done one; so, the lesson learned is to remove parking brake cable and arm, open the bleeder after you put a bit of tubing, work the pads and piston flush,, then remove the caliper. Do not let anyone apply the brakes or push the parking brake button! I struggled with one for hours. Someone had set the brake!
    Joe Meyer

Dealer for the Outlaw/ROLO laser Alignment system

Spyder Garage

Default Just found the answer for the 2014

Seems my first search of SL for a solution did not give me a good hit. Second search brought a thread that addressed this problem. Answer: 2013 and 20104 rear Brembos must have the piston screwed back in. Pressing it will not work.
    2014 RT Ltd Silver Platinum Satin, Ultimate Seat, rider and passenger backrests, Vented Windshield, Adjustable Side Wind Deflectors, Chrome Tri Axis Handlebars with GPS Support, Trailer Hitch Kit, RT-622 Trailer Silver Platinum Satin, Stebil Air Horn, BajaRon's Sway Bar, Spyderpops Bumpskid bike and Trailer, R/T grills, SpyderSisters Front Trunk Pockets, SpyderSisters Sunshade, Spyderflaps Mud Flap, many TricLED lights
    2014 Limited , Silver Playinum Satin

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by pjweimer View Post
    Seems my first search of SL for a solution did not give me a good hit. Second search brought a thread that addressed this problem. Answer: 2013 and 20104 rear Brembos must have the piston screwed back in. Pressing it will not work.
    You can put 2 pins, drills etc. in the holes and use a screwdriver to turn the pistons to move back.
    2015 RTS Ltd Spyderpops bumpskid, Dual Isci Hand Brake ,Baker Wind Wings

2016 Polaris Slingshot SL